IDP

How to Build an IDP Linebacker Corps

How should we build our group of linebackers for IDP leagues? Are we doing it all wrong?

Kenneth Murray

GET IN THE GAME!

Gain Instant Access to this article and so much more.

A full year of access is only $49.99.

Try DLF Premium for only $7.99 with a Monthly Subscription.

• The best dynasty rankings in the industry
• Dynasty, Rookie & Superflex ADP
• Dynasty Trade Analyzer and other tools
• Our annual Dynasty & Rookie Draft Guides
• 365 days of content, tools, advice and support
• And so much more!

Join DLF Today!

Want more info about DLF Premium?
Find out more

Have questions or need some help?
Contact Us

Already a DLF Premium Member?

How to Build an IDP Linebacker Corps
4.9 8 votes
Chris Madden
5 days ago

This is super helpful! Love seeing the IDP content. Keep it rolling.

Ger O'Callaghan
4 days ago

Superb Tom.
I feel like this is how I have been approaching my builds but could never put it into words & charts, always love the graphical representation.

4 days ago

This is good strategy that you should adopt if you aren’t approaching your redrafts with this mindset.
Example: I’m in what was a 32-team dual copy league that lost eight owners and decided to convert to a 24-team dual copy superflex format, and wiped rosters clean for a dynasty redraft.
Devin White went 5.06 + 6.04. Darius Leonard 6.08 + 7.01. T.J. Watt 6.10 + 6.19. And so on.
Instead of taking those top guys I’m getting offensive players like Ryan Tannehill at 6.14, Noah Fant at 7.11 (two full points per TE reception).
OLBs have value in this league – LBs get 6 points for the first sack, 8 for the second, 9 for the third etc, vs. 1.6 points per solo tackle. So there’s plenty of options at the position. After going offense for 11 of my first 13 picks, my LB corps has a few no-doubt three-down options along with lots of shots at good snap totals:
– Isaiah Simmons (14.14)
– Bobby Wagner (18.14)
– Za’Darius Smith (22.14)
– Willie Gay (25.11)
– Bobby Okereke (28th)
– Logan Wilson (34th)
– Baron Browning (36th)
– Jacob Phillips, Drue Tranquill, Denzel Perryman, Justin Strnad and De’Vondre Campbell in rounds 42 and after – all guys with some shot at three-down work at some point this season.
Good luck to the guys who bypassed a starting QB in a SF in order to take a top-ranked ILB.

yellowdart24
4 days ago

I love IDP articles so keep them coming. I do think it’s all about value and the league you play in. This seems more written for a 10/12 team league where you might start just two LBs and everyone gets to have a couple every down LBs. If the league setting is setup where the top LBs score as much as the top RBs, then having one of the actual real life studs can make a difference (Leonard, Smith, White, T.J., etc.) It also depends on where you can get them. Like getting Leonard 90th overall in a 16 team, start 3 LBs plus an IDP flex makes the top LBs very valuable just because 48 of them start plus the flex makes it really closer to 56 starting LBs and there surely aren’t 56 usable LBs. Just depends on where you can find value. I do like the idea of waiting on the lower end of the LBs that play every down but most people in IDP leagues already understand this and once they start to go, you have to get some or you’re taking hits similar to not having enough QBs in a super flex. So really you can only wait as long as the rest of the league waits IMO.
Again, this seems written for leagues where only 36 LBs are started so of course time it and get 2-3 of those guys in the early 30s. But if your league will have say 50+ LBs starting, you can gain an edge having the top ones and having 4-5 of the top 36.

meineymoe
3 days ago

I haven’t done a start up draft since 2009, but to maintain my dominant idp corps across my leagues, I usually target a top LB at the bottom of the first or top of the second in the rookie draft. Players like CJ Mosley, Eric Kendricks, Roquan Smith, and Devin White.
-oo-

Matt Relf
3 days ago

I think alot of solid points are made here, but 2 factors missing are def scoring and def requirements. Most of my idp leagues require 8 off and 11 def players, and I prefer def heavy scoring. So your lb36, is a top tier lb3 in a 16 team start 4 league of mine. And accross the league somewhere between 80 and 96 are owned.

Scoring is the second factor not mentioned, when lb1 score like wr1 or high end wr2, you cant ignore the position to the point of j.a.g depth wr’s, you have to go out and get a.couple in order to compete