Dynasty

When Should You Sell Running Backs in Dynasty Leagues?

We look at the ages at which running backs produce. Does that tell us when to sell?

Le'Veon Bell

GET IN THE GAME!

Gain Instant Access to this article and so much more.

A full year of access is only $49.99.

Try DLF Premium for only $7.99 with a Monthly Subscription.

• The best dynasty rankings in the industry
• Dynasty, Rookie & Superflex ADP
• Dynasty Trade Analyzer and other tools
• Our annual Dynasty & Rookie Draft Guides
• 365 days of content, tools, advice and support
• And so much more!

Join DLF Today!

Want more info about DLF Premium?
Find out more

Have questions or need some help?
Contact Us

Already a DLF Premium Member?

When Should You Sell Running Backs in Dynasty Leagues?
dcragel
10 months ago

Great article! I have Zeke and Drake on contract through 2022, in which these guys will turn 27 and 28 respectively. I may need to consider moving these guys after this season, depending on how it goes(especially Drake).

One aspect/additional table column that might be interesting to include is the # of NFL carries received up until that given season. I’m curious if these older RB #2’s have had perhaps less work loads, so that their age is some what miss-leading. Drake would be a perfect example.

Cheers!

Noah Deaville
10 months ago

does this mean you won’t be drafting Najee Harris?

Tony West
10 months ago

I love the concept of this article but it was a bit unwise to skew the model to only looking at the 2016-2019 seasons. These have been exception years for young RBs bursting onto the scene. The 2017 RB class has GREATLY skewed these numbers. That is easily one of the best rookie RB classes ever: CMC, Cook, Kamara, Fournette, Mixon, Hunt, etc.

That would be akin to using the 2014 rookie WR class in a very small sample size and expecting it to be the norm.

There is a very solid chance that as the 2017 class ages, they continue to produce at an elite level that raises the median age of top 24 RBs to levels seen pre-2016.

jeffwalch
10 months ago

Great article Shane! Have you completed this same analysis for WRs and TEs or is it something you are planning in the future? This is very useful and I would love to see the results for those position groups as well. Thanks again!

Justin Johnson
10 months ago

I believe NFL teams are running the treads off the rookies while under the cheap rookie contract then not paying up when it’s contract time. Simply rinse and repeat the cycle.

Justin Johnson
Reply to  Shane Manila
10 months ago

I don’t think it will happen soon. I will just keep drafting rookie RBs and selling at year 4-5. Great article!

Steve Shedlock
10 months ago

So I imagine if you are following this trend, this is sell high on Drake time.

Stefan Byramji
10 months ago

Easy to say to trade them, but I find it exceedingly hard to get younger at RB by trade, even when including an older stud.

So I can’t trade just to maximize value without a good plan on how to replace them. In theory it makes sense but in practice it’s difficult to impossible…