DLF’s Weekly Impact Events

Kaep

The 2014 off-season is now fully underway with free agency upon us. As you prepare for next season, it’s more important than ever to stay on top of the news. You have to pay close attention to everything to stay on top of your dynasty league. For most of us, we do well to steal some time away from our families and jobs to watch the games on Sunday. It becomes difficult to monitor the daily happenings around the league and even more demanding to process how that news affects your dynasty team.
That’s why we’re here!

Here is a quick look at the events of the past week and how they impact the players on your team.

Colin Kaepernick, QB SF

A report broke late this week about an incident that occurred earlier in the month involving 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, along with his teammate wide receiver Quinton Patton and Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette and potential sexual assault of a woman. The details are sketchy at this point and it is unclear if charges will be filed against any of the three men. This story is far from over and regardless of the outcome, it doesn’t look good for Kaepernick, who is entering his final season under his rookie contract and was expected to sign a long-term deal with the 49ers this off-season.

Eli Manning, QB NYG

Giants quarterback Eli Manning underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left ankle this week. The surgery was deemed necessary to repair the damage done in the Giants season finale last year and should keep Manning out of action for the next six weeks. The timeline means Manning will be back in action in plenty of time for the Giants training camp in late summer. Although Manning’s value is down after his disappointing 2013 season, this injury doesn’t knock his value any further. With a new offensive coordinator in town and the expectation of drafting a new pass catcher, Manning is a good buy low target.

Andre Brown, RB HOU

The Houston Texans agreed to a one-year deal with free agent running back Andre Brown, previously of the New York Giants. Brown played well for the Giants in between major leg injuries, but the team chose to move on and sign Rashad Jennings instead of give Brown another chance. Following the departure of former backup Ben Tate, the Texans needed a backup for Arian Foster. Brown didn’t have a lot of dynasty value anyway, but that still takes a hit as he signed with a team where he will not get a starting job, barring an injury. Brown is nearly worthy of the waiver wire in most leagues.

Nate Burleson, WR CLE

Wide receiver Nate Burleson signed a one-year deal with the Cleveland Browns, after spending the past four seasons with the Detroit Lions. Burleson is past his prime and offers little to no fantasy upside at this point. He can remain on dynasty waiver wires.

Ryan Mallett, QB NE

Patriots backup quarterback Ryan Mallett once looked to be in prime position to earn a starting NFL job, either as the heir apparent to future Hall of Famer Tom Brady in New England, or with another team via a trade. Recent reports out of Boston though claim that Mallett’s stock is down around the league and that he would only bring the Patriots a late round draft pick if they were to move him. Mallett will be an unrestricted free agent following the 2014 season and is almost assuredly gone to a team where he will have a better chance at significant playing time.

Chris Johnson, RB FA

The Tennessee Titans finally made the long expected move of releasing veteran running back Chris Johnson official late last week. The Titans were attempting to trade Johnson, but were unsuccessful, even though there were multiple teams with rumored interest in the six-time 1,000 yard back. Since Johnson was officially released, multiple teams have declared their lack of interest in signing him and he’s had no official visits with any team. Also, he’s reportedly refusing to work out for any teams, instead asking teams to rely on game film. Johnson is likely another veteran back who will sign a one-year contract for far below what he expected.

Mike Williams, WR BUF

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers traded troubled wide receiver Mike Williams to the Buffalo Bills for a sixth-round draft pick. In Buffalo, Williams is back with his former college head coach Doug Marrone, which may or may not be a good thing, as the two reportedly parted on bad terms as Williams quit the team. The Bills had been rumored to be adding a wide receiver, but most assumed that would be done through the upcoming draft. After the off-season issues, Williams’ dynasty value is way down after he missed ten games this past season.

Follow @RyanMc23 on Twitter

Ryan McDowell
JBFootball

Did Mallett do something to cause the drop in his value or is just because he’s old news? I had been holding on to him this offseason with hopes of him being traded to Houston but I dropped him when I heard he probably wouldn’t be traded.

Chris Fryer
Reply to  JBFootball

He threw the passes at Arkansas Pro Day and scouts from NFL teams said he looked “just ok”.

BBFFC
Reply to  Chris Fryer

It also comes down to him being a FA after this year. GM’s value picks so highly, they’d rather wait a year to get him for free, or give up a late pick now at best. NE thinking is, only a high pick worth it, because you need a backup now, and time on our side. What if Brady gets hit by lightning? Or neck like Peyton? Some kind of degenerative arm injury, shortening career by a year or 2? In these cases NE could then resign Mallet with little competition! To override this safety first, bird in the hand mentality, I’d keep him unless I got a 3rd or better too. But I wouldn’t want to pay that either if I was another team…. Hence no deal!!

Ryan McDowell
Reply to  BBFFC

I agree with both posts, although Mallett hasn’t done anything “wrong” he’s never really gotten his shot and has become old news. I still think he’s a solid stash in deep leagues.

SJ

So I cant find anything other than what Ryan states on Kaep.

Does anybody know?

Is this a Roethlisburger situation – possible rape carges coming? Or is this something less concerning?

I think its closer to the former and I’m worried. And this is no knock on Roethlisburger – just referencing how bad of a situation it was for him at the time as it almost lead to him being released by the Steelers.

Brett
Reply to  SJ

SB Nation and Matt Barrows reposted the police report, it’s much ado about nothing. It’s not even a sexual assault, it’s the media taking a nothing story and blowing it up.

SJ
Reply to  Brett

Thanks Brett.

… oh the times we live in…

You know, sometimes I evny MLB and how theres basically no offseason for “reporters” and “journalists” to constantly have to find data to compromise and filter up. At least with baseball there’s real stuff like games going on to concentrate attention.

Robert
Reply to  SJ

I agree, this is all going to go away. The police chief (or spokesman) that gave a statement to the media even specified that they are NOT investigating Kaep for any sexual related crimes. They were just investigating the situation of a female getting too messed up and not remembering what happened when she woke up in the hospital. Nothing to be worried about IMO.

I already had an owner try to buy Kaep from me on the low. He wanted Kaep/Boykin/DaRick for Romo/Cutler/James Jones in a 1QB league. No thanks…

BigD
Reply to  Robert

I think I would do that deal. with Romo and cutler’s wrs??? I think i’d do it?

SJ
Reply to  Robert

Ehhh.. debatable trade either way.. Kaep and Cutler (and Romo even) are pretty close in peoples eyes. I guess Kaep gets the edge due to youth, but its anyones guess who will lead in points next year.

Boykins, DaRick are both superfliers at this point, but def better than James-on his last legs- Jones

Ryan McDowell
Reply to  Robert

I would definitely pass on that one. I’m liking Boykin more and more.

Luke Lysak

Trade question:

Do you think the 1.09 pick, 2.02 pick, and a 2016 2nd is a good return for Montee Ball and the 3.01 pick?

I already have pick 1.10 and pick 2.05 and this draft is loaded with WR talent.

SJ
Reply to  Luke Lysak

I think thats much too low for Ball. I’m an owner (and believer) and wouldnt part with anything less that a top 3 pick (with additions), or multiple 1sts.

You’ve seen what Moreno can do in that offense – Ball has legit RB1 upside for the near future and perhaps later. Its hard to give up that 3-down production in today’s RB landscape.

Luke Lysak
Reply to  SJ

Thanks for the reply. This particular team is in complete rebuild mode and with the WR talent in this draft, I am intrigued as to what Ball could get me as a return.

My current WRs are Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright Deandre Hopkins, Justin Hunter, and Markus Wheaton.

I’m looking to build around young WRs going forward.

SJ
Reply to  Luke Lysak

I understand but just keep in mind that any rookie WR’s take usually a year (or two) to really develop. There’s only so many times a K.Allen will emerge (don’t forget he was way down the depth chart and due to injuries came through – that can almost be said by all productive rookie wideouts)

So just be cautious and assume that at least one of those picks will not produce and probably both will not do as good as Ball within this season, so there’s a likely event that you could trade Ball for even more later on. I would say if you think Ball will produce, bar-none bottom line, Id say keep him. But even if you don’t I think most everyone will agree you can get more.

Llysak
Reply to  SJ

I revoked he trade. The deal changed to getting picks 1.08 and 1.09, but I still pulled the trade back.

You’re right that the rookie picks can very unpredictable and easily turn into busts.

Anything less than a top 3 rookie pick is probably selling him too low plus another 1st rounder is needed.

Moreno was the #4 fantasy RB in that offense last season.

Ryan McDowell
Reply to  Luke Lysak

SJ had this covered, but I’d agree all around. Ball should bring much more in return.

michael bellace

Just read a piece a couple of days ago here, stating Mallett was a guy to target b/c he will be traded during the draft or will be a f/a next season? I guess you’re not as high on him as was the other writer? I don’t own him, but I own Brady, what is likely to happen with him now that the trade is off the table or is that NE blowing smoke? Next, is Chris Johnson done? It sounded like all these teams were waiting for his release to sign him and now nothing, what gives? Lastly, I was trying to trade Brown to the Foster owner but alot of the guys in this league aren’t big on handcuffs like myself. Should I keep him and wait for the other shoe to drop on Foster, then offer him up to his owner or just drop the roster clogger altogether?

CJ H
Reply to  michael bellace

I also read the piece you are referring to, Phantasy5. Like you said, that piece was a little bit ago. This is basically an update. The rumors were NE would be willing to part ways for a decent draft pick. The more time goes on, the closer we get to the draft, and teams don’t want to give up picks in the first 4 rounds, because they start to fall in love with guys they think they can draft. So, why give away, say a 4th rounder, when you can just make an offer on him next off-season? That’s all he’s saying is going through the minds of GM’s right now. It doesn’t mean just drop him though, ^JBFootball.

Chris Johnson is and will continue to be available because he wants more money than what teams are willing to give him. So, they all stand pat, and eventually he signs with NYJ for 1 year and around 2.5 to 3 mil.

Personally, I’m a big handcuff guy. I say if you have room for another owner’s injury prone handcuff, hold on to him and see how the start of the season shakes out.

michael bellace
Reply to  CJ H

CJ H, thanks alot, I was kind of thinking the same on these guys, but just needed to hear it from someone else!

Ryan McDowell
Reply to  michael bellace

I actually really like Mallett. Last i checked, I ranked him higher than anyone else here at DLF and can’t wait until he gets his chance. I’d agree with the other writer that he’s a solid add/buy, but still no sure thing he ever becomes a starter.

I think CJ, and many of the other vet RBs, are all great buys right now. They won’t all hit, but some will and can carry a team to a title, IMO.

Regarding Brown, it depends on roster size. If you have 23 or more, I’d try to keep him. If not, probably dump him.