Dynasty

The DLF Mailbag

Hyde

Welcome to the latest edition of the weekly mailbag.

Send me your questions using the DLF Mailbag Form and I’ll include the best in future articles.  Remember the guidelines to have the best chance at seeing your question get posted:

1.) Dynasty questions only, no start/sit questions

2.) Help me help you by providing sufficient information about your league (e.g. line-up requirements/PPR or non-PPR/etc.), and include your first name and where you’re from.

3.) Your chance of getting your question answered is inversely proportional to the length of the question.

Let’s get to it!

1. I am in a seven-keeper PPR league of 14 teams with IDP.  My running back keepers are Frank Gore and Darren Sproles, and my receiver keepers are Julian Edelman and Pierre Garcon.  I have the second pick in our upcoming draft and am wondering if I’m better off picking Carlos Hyde (who may take over for Gore), or a playmaker like Sammy Watkins? We start 1-2 running backs and 2-3 receivers.Rick in IL

[inlinead]A 14-team, seven-keeper league essentially represents fairly close to the median between fully dynasty leagues and re-draft formats. Indeed, with a total 98 players rostered on a year-to-year basis, the resultant dispersal draft pool is relatively diluted. As such it’s no surprise the top rookies move to the forefront of each team’s yearly roster overhaul.

Given that I agree with your general sentiment that it behooves you to select a rookie with your second overall pick. I also agree that it makes sense to consider your current roster as constructed before making your selection. However, I’d choose to look at it in a different way, looking beyond “handcuffing” your current running back, Frank Gore.

Putting it nicely, teams with early picks generally “earn them.” To that point, a core of Gore, Darren Sproles, Julian Edelman and Pierre Garcon isn’t the strongest grouping in a 14-team setting. In addition to lacking a true stud, you’re also aging at running back and will likely field one of the weaker FLEX positions in the league.

So in response to your question, I would simply select the best player available regardless of position or team need. To me, that would be one of the elite rookie receivers, be it Buffalo’s Sammy Watkins or Tampa’s Mike Evans. Sure, you run the risk of missing out on San Francisco ball carrier and potential heir to the throne Carlos Hyde, but in my opinion he’s not nearly the caliber of the pass catchers mentioned above.

Continuing, I’d give strong consideration to attempting to move Gore and Sproles for either prospects or picks. If an aging player isn’t likely to help you win this year, all he’s doing is taking up roster space and depreciating in value. Alternatively you could wait until mid-season and hope these veterans gain in value, but ultimately I think you should be focusing on a more youth-centric philosophical shift.

2. After winning the title last year in my 14-team non-PPR league, I want to make a run at it again. Should I keep Steven Jackson as my final keeper (out of 12) or Lamar Miller? This is probably it for S-Jax, while there’s still hope Miller turns into something. We can start 2-4 running backs.Brett in TN

Ultimately this boils down to your conviction to the cause. If you truly want to make another run towards the championship, it’s tough to argue against the de facto RB1 of an explosive offense, Atlanta’s Steven Jackson. No, he didn’t light the fantasy world on fire simply by leaving St. Louis as expected, but what was widely panned as a “lost” season still resulted in a finish as the non-PPR RB22 on a per-game basis.

As you have the ability to start up to four ball carriers, this could and should easily yield starter-caliber viability. Given the upgrades along the offensive line, as well as the returns to health of star receivers Julio Jones and Roddy White, it’s fair to assume S-Jax will have more room to run in 2014. If healthy, I view it as a virtual lock that he’ll best his 2013 finish as the overall non-PPR RB32.

I like Miami’s Lamar Miller, but he’ll presumably remain mired in a competition with free agent signee Knowshon Moreno, whenever the latter returns to health. With that said, Miller did little to justify the hype last year, and it’s entirely possible the Dolphins’ running back of the future isn’t currently on the roster. Miller’s theoretical potential just isn’t enough to sway me here – if you’re truly “in it to win it,” Jackson should be the choice.

3. I’m in a 12-person PPR salary league with a $350 salary cap. I’m being offered LeSean McCoy ($84 with two years remaining) and cash ($40) for Doug Martin ($60 – one year), Andre Ellington ($1 – three years) and Randall Cobb ($21 – four years). If I do the trade I would have Jamaal Charles and McCoy for one year, as Charles is on his last year, with Gio Bernard as a backup (three years – $27). I’m also pretty set at receiver. The salary is about a wash, but I am just curious since it’s a lot to give up for mainly a shot at 2014 and not for the future.Michael in FL

There are a lot of moving parts in this deal, as it relates to both time and money. As such I think it behooves us to go through them in an itemized fashion. Let’s start with what you’d be receiving in Philly ball carrier LeSean McCoy.

McCoy is undoubtedly a top-two asset at the running back position, along with the Chiefs’ Jamaal Charles. Moreover, at “only” $42 a year (12% of your budget) he’s a relative bargain. The ability to roster him for two more years of what is ostensibly his prime for that reasonable price makes him an incredibly desirable trade target.

Conversely, Doug Martin’s current contract ($60 per year, 17.1% of your budget) is significantly more onerous. While I’m not buying the horror stories of a huge decrease to his workload, it’s impossible to consider him as more cost-effective than McCoy. Considering you only have him for one more year, now could be the time to ship him off.

The other pieces with whom you’d be parting would bother me significantly more. I don’t need to expound any further about my man-crush on Arizona running back Andre Ellington, only to say that owning him over the next three years for a single dollar arguably makes this arguably the best contract in the league. Randall Cobb, despite his as-of-yet inability to stay healthy for an entire season, is similarly valuated as a relative bargain.

While losing those two players, especially given their bargain-basement contracts, would hurt, I think I’d still make the trade. McCoy is the real deal, and his contract remains relatively affordable all things considered. Perhaps more importantly I believe he carries with him significantly less “bust potential” than your trio of players – pairing him with Charles will provide you with a weekly advantage, as well as hopefully a title.

4. Our league (12-team non-PPR with six points per passing touchdowns) allows a team to keep three players each year.  I fielded a strong team last year, and had Matt Forte, Demaryius Thomas, Calvin Johnson, Matthew Stafford, and Keenan Allen.  Another team had Jamaal Charles, but not much else.  I traded Forte, Stafford, and Allen for Charles, and now the league is concerned about balance and ethics. I think that there should be no ethical issue, as both owners are trying to improve their teams.  Would allowing the trading of draft picks better balance trades like this in the future?Jesse in NY

I’ll start by addressing the trade in question.  Given the specifics of your league as it relates to the quarterback position, it’s my belief that signal callers who can pass for more touchdowns become significantly more valuable.  In addition to leading the league in volume, Detroit’s Matt Stafford has also averaged 30 passing touchdowns per season over the last three years, more than likely culminating in an average finish in the QB3-5 range.

Continuing, despite his age Chicago ball carrier Matt Forte is a locked and loaded RB1, and Chargers receiver Keenan Allen is popularly viewed as one of dynasty’s fastest risers.  On the aggregate it’s easy to see all three of these players serving as starters for your trade partner, easily mitigating the loss of Charles.  Sure, losing the player who is arguably the premier asset in a non-PPR format hurts, but I think you’ve overpaid enough to make it worth his while.

And that, to me, should be more than enough.  Sure, you could pass league legislature to allow draft picks to be traded (this should always be allowed, in my opinion), but I don’t think that’s the issue here.  Quite simply, I think it boils down to one thing and one thing alone – jealousy.

Many owners absolutely loathe it when their competition gets better.  Given your already-excellent core, the addition of Charles does just that for you, easily making you into a championship favorite.  However, I don’t believe there’s anything unethical about what you or your trade partner did.

The bottom line is both teams got better.  You each had the foresight to realize that, in a dynasty or keeper setting, there is no off-season – remaining proactive paid off in a mutually beneficial way for the both of you.  Instead of getting up in arms about league balance and fairness, your league-mates should have been scouring the trade market as well – the early bird gets the metaphorical worm, and it’s time for them to wake up and get active themselves.

Follow me on Twitter @EDH_27

[ad5]

Eric Hardter
Jackson4

re: question #4

This is what you get with an unorganized commish. Agree fully with the article’s reply and no, this isn’t unethical. But the fact that ambiguity in thenleague rules can allow for this but also allow everyone to get pissed amd raise question of ethics means you have an unorganized, inexperienced commish who didn’t consider the possibilities and shore up the league rules to account for said ambiguity,

In our dynasty league, I’m the commish. We have about 3 pages of rules that we review, tweak and reratify every year. They do nothing more than alleviate the “but what happens if….” scenarios. Oh, and I’m regularly complimented for have the funnest, most well-run league these guys have ever been in. So you can accomplish both fun and organization.

flexcapacitor
Reply to  Jackson4

They are mad he got Charles right? It might have been a good trade for the guy that got Charles but I think he way over paid for him. In a 6pt for passing TD league Stafford + Forte might be a slight over pay in my book. So, they are mad he got Charles right?

sixshooter
Reply to  Jackson4

Quite honestly, I do not get the debate with question #4 as I feel that the guy overpaid for Charles but it was a wise move considering only 3 players can be kept! Every league has a drama queen…..or two or three it seems!!!

Jesse from NY
Reply to  Jackson4

They’re mad that I “overpaid” for Charles, making the other team into a potential contender. Of course, the guys I traded were essentially useless to me as I wasn’t keeping Stafford/Allen, so I had to make the move, even for a slight upgrade.

Also, I wouldn’t fault the commissioner here. The rules are in place, and the trade wasn’t vetoed despite the rabble rousing. I do of course think draft pick trading should be allowed, but it’s more the members of the league who have problems. The trade was actually with the commish as the other team and was okay’d by the deputy, so there was no problem from that end.

Part of the problem is that offseason trading is exceptionally uncommon in this league. Off the top of my head, I only remember a Shady for Arian swap a few years back.

Ben Whibley

I read question 3 differently, that is to say mccoy’s contract is $84 each year. If it is, I think it tips the balance towards rejecting myself.

sixshooter
Reply to  Ben Whibley

Please don’t reject yourself!

Steve
Reply to  Ben Whibley

Agreed, can we confirm the contract for Shady?

Ethan
Reply to  Ben Whibley

I had the same thought. I think McCoy’s contract is 84 per year, not 42 per year for two years, otherwise Ellington’s contract wouldn’t make any sense (if his contract is $1 for three years, his contract is .33 cents per year?).

I think that completely changes the outlook on the trade. I wouldn’t even consider taking a huge contract from McCoy when you have Ellington and Bernard tied up as a solid RB2/3 combo.

Michael
Reply to  Ben Whibley

author of the question. You guys are viewing this question correctly. so here are the numbers

Shady McCoy: 84 for 2014 and 2015
Cash: 40 to me for 2014

Doug Martin: 60 for 2014
Randall Cobb: 21 each year for 2014-2017
Andre Ellington: 1 each year for 2014-2016

other factors left out was I have Green/J.Jones/J. Gordon and D. Hopkins at WR so the lost of Cobb wouldn’t hurt. and we do have the lineup option of either 1 RB 3 WRs or 2/2.

also if the trade goes through, I would have about 140 cap space for this year’s draft where if it was rejected I have only 100 but 2 extra roster spots filled. Thanks for the input.

Ahmad Clayton

Hey in a 12 team IDP dynasty league my RB are M Ball, Doug Martin, Trent Richardson, Giovanni Bernard and Christine Michael. WR are Keenan Allen, Sammy Watkins, Randall Cobb, Josh Gordon, Odelle Beckham, Rod Streater, Justin Hunter. I have a trade offer Montee Ball and my 3rd round pick for AJ green any suggestions??? I already own two third round draft picks. The only thing that’s holding me back is running backs are hard to come by in my league and with the talk a bout Doug Martin losing carries makes me a little protective. Any suggestions on the trade.

Ahmad Clayton
Reply to  Ahmad Clayton

PPR league

Badger
Reply to  Ahmad Clayton

If that was offered to you, you need to accept ASAP whether PPR or not.

Steve
Reply to  Ahmad Clayton

You drop what you are doing and ACCEPT THAT OFFER IMMEDIATELY!!!

Vince
Reply to  Ahmad Clayton

Why are you not clicking accept yet?!?!?!?!

ChiefsHonk
Reply to  Ahmad Clayton

Anytime someone is willing to move a player like AJG you do it.

Tony

Hi all,

I am in a PPR league. Start 2 RBs, 3 WRs, and 1 Flex (RB, WR, or TE).

I have Eddie Lacy, Trent Richardson, AJ Green, Dez Bryant, Keenan Allen, and Ruben Randle.

I was just offered Cordarrelle Patterson and James Starks for Keenan Allen. And it looked too good to pass up…so I accepted it.

Was it a good decision?

Tony

Billy
Reply to  Tony

I don’t think so…Starks carries no value to me and Allen is a legit WR1, CP is not!

Tony
Reply to  Billy

I know Starks has no value but he is my handcuff for Lacy.

After reading the article by Steve about Keenan Allen, I am not sure if he will repeat the same numbers again.

Casey

Hi,

I’m in a PPR dynasty. Not the best run league, no one ever trades, but I’m trying to get some things moving. Anyway, I’m want to offer the Antonio Gates (they have jared cook as their other TE) owner Ladarius Green OR Zach Ertz along with Zach Stacey for Mike Evans. Was also thinking about throwing Torrey Smith along with it. I have a pretty deep team and would like to cull a few off to grab a few young guys of the waiver wire. Anyway, is this fair in any way or am I going to rip myself off. Thanks

Casey

Casey
Reply to  Casey

Zach Stacy*

ChiefsHonk
Reply to  Casey

Seems like Green/Stacey would be enough to get Evans. I parted with Stacey for a 1st and 3rd in my dynasty league and I also paid a 1st for Green in another. So 2 1sts and a 3rd is pretty much what he’d be getting for Evans…..who I have not read a single blurb about this whole offseason other than him having hamstring tightness and being overweight. Compare that with Sammy Watkins who is making headlines in camp on a daily basis. I don’t think Evans is untouchable right now unless an owner is just man crushing on him and refuses to ever trade him.

Michael

If you had the 1.3 pick in a normal Dynasty League Draft assuming you’ll take the Best Available…Who do you guys prefer between Mike Evans, Bishop Sankey & Brandin Cooks? Is Sankey a good enough high end RB prospect with better upside than the other two or should I focus on WR in this draft and wait for RBs next year?

ChiefsHonk
Reply to  Michael

I did my 3 rookie drafts in May but I had Sammy, Evans, Sankey, Cooks as my top 4 in that order. Neither Sankey or Cooks has elite measurables but should they become fantasy relevant their 1st year, I think you would be able to get more for the RB in a trade. Even if Cooks has 1000 yards I’m not sure if you could get more than a 1st and a player or lesser pick out of him. If Sankey goes over 1000 you may be able to get multiple 1sts out of him. When I’m undecided I usually use that logic to help.

I would also consider Hyde at this stage. With Hunter gone, Gore fading….Hyde is another player that could yield huge return in a trade.

JT

i’m in a dynasty league where we only can keep 6 players. all of my keepers are set with the exception of one WR position: Josh Gordon or Keenan Allen. my other WR is AJ Green. it is a ppr league.
i am going to wait till the ruling on monday is announced, until i decide for sure. but, let’s assume it’s an 8 game or entire season suspension. if somehow he gets off with no suspension, i’m keeping Gordon. any thoughts on Keenan vs Gordon with a suspension?

Slick

you got to go Keenan. upside is a little lower but you can count on him for 10 years…whereas gordon…not so much.

Andrew

My league is a 12 team, 0.5 PPR, 2-keepers (RD 4 and lower). We play 2-WR, 2-RB, and 2-RB/WR/TE flex.

I can keep Andre Ellington and Zac Stacy for an 8th and a 14th respectively.

Would I be crazy with my 11th pick in a snake draft to use my first 2 picks on WR/WR? Or should I spend one of those picks on an RB?