17 Responses to “CJ747”

1. phantasy5 says:

Thanks Ken, CJ is the last of my rostered players to find a home! I think I should be looking to deal him as his value going forward is low. If I wait it could dip further and then I’m stuck with nothing! Now that his situation is locked down, what do you think I could get for him as far as dispersal draft pick or player-wise? I currently have plenty of RB2-3 depth in both leagues I own him in. I was also thinking of pursuing Ivory to add with CJ but I don’t want too many NYJ players? The other problem is there’s no real interest in him, so what should I do? I’ll start putting feelers out and test the waters to start.

• Ken Kelly says:

First off, I think this would be the worst time to trade Johnson. Any owner who sees you being proactive in peddling him will automatically think you believe New York is a bad landing spot. When free agency moves happen and you’re the one trying to move a player with a new home, it’s human nature for the targeting team to raise an eyebrow, thus making a fair deal very tough.

It’s tough to say what rookie pick Johnson would be worth. I’d say probably a mid-second would be the going rate.

• phantasy5 says:

Thanks Ken I guess you’re right about moving CJ now. I was chatting with a friend and league mate and he said I was crazy for trying to deal him and also agreed about getting a 2nd rounder for him. I think I’ll stand pat and wait to see what happens and maybe deal him to someone desperate during the season.

2. Jacob Feldman says:

If you’re a Chris Johnson owner, I think you need to be pretty happy with the landing spot. Ivory is almost certain to be hurt for at least part of the year, which will give Johnson a chance to be a RB1 again. If he plays well, he could transition into everything except the goal line back.

The two year contract should also keep him “hungry” as he tries to play for one more big contract if he can light it up over these two years.

Out of the options out there, this was about as good as it could get. I like him as a nice buy low if he’s cheap in your leagues.

• doktor says:

I agree Jacob. I think this was his best possible spot (I do own him in 1 league). I think solid Flex value with weekly RB2 upside sounds about right.

• leehwgoC says:

“If he plays well, he could transition into everything except the goal line back.”

I doubt this, simply because I don’t see Johnson ever out-playing Ivory as a pure runner. Ivory was elite in a few significant metrics last year, such as yards after contact (I think he was the league leader, iirc?). Ivory’s made of glass, but when he isn’t broken he’s one of the league’s most effective runners between the tackles.

So long as Ivory’s healthy (which, of course, is the real question), I really don’t expect Johnson to ever get more than 50% of the backfield touches.

I still wouldn’t touch Johnson in dynasty, and if he’s already on my roster I wouldn’t want to count on him as anything other than as a RB2-ceiling stash (if/when Ivory goes down) and bye-week fill-in.

3. Do it for johnny says:

Don’t disagree that this was one of bette landi g spots but the JETS are a nightmare for any fantasy assets and doubt that changes much next year….they play good defense and are almost always involvee in low scoring affairs…i would ‘t want to own any JET actually. Deckers value dropped like a stone with his signing and CJ is no better than a RB3 IMO…combo of declining skills and bad offensive team is not a combo want any part of.

• alden says:

I don’t know about that, while im not a jets fan, you gotta admit the jets have so far brought in three playmakers. There team is on the rise scoring wise, and if they have a good draft like last year, fantasy football wise things have changed. The future is looking a heck of a lot better than last year and the rookie draft hasn’t even happened year.

• Do it for johnny says:

Aiden…i really want to believe that to be true but HIGHLY doubt it…starts with QB Smith is a scrub watch the numbers decker puts up with him instead of Manning…WR3 is my prediction…this is a 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense…rex all about defense and keeping it close. Until they get a legit QB this will not change and all jets should be viewed warily.

• alden says:

Decker scored 8 TDs with Tebo, his numbers may drop this year but will be ok in the long run. I think Vick will win the starting QB this year. Things will improve if they get a good Rookie WR. Offensive coordinater Mornhinweg isn’t a ground and pound guy, so things will improve in N Y on offence. Plus a athletic speed back fits the system mor then a ground and pound guy.

4. BB Wayne says:

CJ747? Does that mean he is a lumbering power back and not a F16? Of course, the days of the homerun TD is over but to say he is finished as a 1000 yard back is foolish.

CJ1K still produced over 1000 yards last year after his knee problems started in Week 3 on a crappy team after Locker went down. Unfortunately, people’s expectations always are too high or too low in FF. People still want that 2k back. Those days are so few and when they happen it never repeats itself.

But, in a league that is pass happy with “specialty” backs all the rage, I’ll take a declining speed back on a run first team every day even with a shared work load. Yes, CJ1K was injured but still finished out the year as the 9th back in PPR points for the full season or 12th if you exclude week 17.

You can never have too many back in today’s FF. Go get CJ1K on the cheap and reap the benefits later in the season when top backs always go down.

• Do it for johnny says:

If you can get on cheap i agree decent pickup for RB depth…problem in owners still think of him as something he is not anymore…in non PPR CJ owner offered me CJ and decker and 2nd (mid one) for L Bell….what a joke…..instant reject

I plan on stsying away from all JETs as i said above low scoring team good defense no thanks….geno smith is horrendous that team will average like 15 points a game unwatchable unless you love watching defense…i am from NY believe I saw eveey game

• BB Wayne says:

LOL. Definite reject.

I should preface my CJ argument that if he is your RB1, then your team is dead and definitely time to move on. But if you need to upgrade a RB2 or add depth then go get CJ on the cheap if he is available.

This is the best time of the year for Dynasty. Go fishing and build depth to your team for those bargain basement players.

Of course, the debate is which ones….

5. hilltop996 says:

What rookie pick(s) would be fair to ask for when trading Chris Johnson?

• Ken Kelly says:

I’d say the going rate would be a mid-second. If you look at our current ADP data, there are 16 rookies being taken ahead of him at the moment. His value will probably rise a bit, but I’d still think high to mid-second. It’s a bitter pill to swallow, but that’s how it goes with running back value.

6. SJ says:

And so ends another career of once premium, now worn-out, worn-down RB.

Itd be one thing if you expect Johnsons YPC to go up, but given that the JETS always deploy a RBBC heavy offense, going back to when Rex got there, itd be a suprise if CJ receives more than 150 touches. Id be suprised if he gets more than 150-170 PPR points this year (700yrds/6ToTD/20rec/150ryrds).

I think some people expect Johnson to be the workhorse-S.Greene type of role in that offense. Thats not happening. I think you almost have to expect his ceiling to be what LT brought to the team for his two Jet years – which is not much. Maybe a FLEX play. They’re going to rotate their backs.

I’d very easily pass over or trade away Johnsons name value at this point. There’s too much uncertainty that hes not going to get volume, which is what he needs at this point, and this transaction smacks of the Tomlinson aquisition, and that didnt work out too well for fantasy.

7. Eric says:

I agree that the Jets are the best possible landing spot. They are a power running team and whether CJ splits carries with Ivory or not, he will get a good amount of touches and could see some very nice PPR bonus, as he’ll catch a lot of passes out of the backfield. The Jets will want to get him space. Lastly, The Jets have a decent run blocking offensive line.

If he’s washed up, you’ll know soon enough, but if he wants to prove that he has something left in the tank, he could be a solid RB2. He is “only” 28.