17 Responses to “Price Check: Jordan Cameron”

1. Eric Hardter says:

The measurables are all there, but it’s the production that worries me. At USC, Cameron only caught 16 total passes. Thus far in the pros, he’s only tallied 26 receptions in two years. His rapid off-season ascension is due solely to situation.

I respect Steve’s track record (just read his previous articles for evidence) for predicting breakouts, but if I owned Cameron I’d be selling right now. Too many question marks for me.

• Chris_R says:

Jimmy Graham never caught the ball at Miami either, sometimes it’s all about projections. What had he shown in College to make him a sure thing? I’m buying anywhere I can. His price isn’t that high because he’s still cheaper then getting Eifert in the late 1st and he should out produce the rookie this year. I think you are rolling the dice a bit much if you are trying to start him but if you have Antonio Gates, Tony G, Witten, or a mid level TE like Keller or Pitta I think Cameron provides enough upside on the bench to gamble on.

Most of these TE’s are raw, former basketball players who have little to no College production, but if the coaching staff has this confidence in him knowing they plan on utilizing the TE that’s pretty telling.

• Eric Hardter says:

That’s a fair point, but I’d say Graham showed a bit more than Cameron in his first two years in the league.

My other fear is that Chud/Turner want to focus on a deep-ball attack in regards to the TE position. However, his career YPC average stands at 10.0, and he’s still only caught 20 of 39 passes, good for 51.3%. You could argue “look at the QB play,” but really, will it get significantly better?

With the presences of Gordon/Little/Bess and T-Rich siphoning receptions, I just don’t see the production matching the hype. Maybe I’ll be wrong, but it’s not a gamble I want to take.

• Eric Hardter says:

Clarification…51.3% is from this past year. Career catch percentage is 50%.

• Steve Wyremski says:

I see 64.5% (20 of 31) for 2012 in PFF’s stats (I see that’s different from MFL’s) – not sure which of the two is most accurate but I know PFF has a count / audit process.

RE: production – I get that, but Gates, for example, didn’t play college football and only played high school football. Graham (as the previous poster mentioned) didn’t have the college production either. It’s something to take note of, I agree, but I don’t think that’s a reason to write him off.

Why the YPC doesn’t concern me is because that may have been a function of the current offense. With this new offense, the focus is much longer plays down the seam for a TE. I would expect his YPC to increase.

Separately, I think the rapid increase in value is due to a bit more than situation. It was known out of college that Cameron was going to need time to develop due to his lack of college production and basketball background. Many were still high on him because of the measurables at the time.

Despite that Gates/Graham broke out in year 2, a similar thing that happened with both Graham and Gates in that they needed time.

2. mikey b says:

Nice work Steve! This guy is a free agent in our league and will be available come draft day. He’s one of the guys on my targets list. The TE in our league is a vital scoring position and I just dealt Witten away. I’m lacking here now but came out with Lynch so I have no regrets there. Where do you think is a good spot to land this guy? Not sure how the other owners would value him either. The caveat is you can only have 3 starting TE’s on your roster and I have 2. There are 5 teams (including mine) that have room to snag him for there 3rd starter. I think he’s the best available non rookie TE and believe he has what it takes to break out. He has the things that can’t be taught like size, speed and ups which are crucial for TE’s these days. Look forward to hear what you have to say, thanks!

3. Matt Peach says:

Good article. He’s available in my dynasty rookie draft. Is early second round too early to insure I get him?

• Steve Wyremski says:

I’d be comfortable taking him at that spot.

I’ve offered two 2014 seconds (which are likely to be high next year). That’s about equivalent to an early second this year in my eyes.

• Eric Kassor says:

Wow 2 2014 seconds, I think you now own some Cameron.

• Steve Wyremski says:

Nope! Was rejected.

I owned him in a majority of my leagues, but the few I didnt – still try to purchase now and have been unsuccessful thus far. I’m just going to have to up the ante.

4. Derek Kirby says:

Do you like him better than Ladarius Greene or Rod Housler? I own Graham in 2 leagues and Rudolph in 1, but I’m looking to find that top 10 #2 ! ( I’m greedy) never know when you may need them! Also, Im eyeing Jordan Reed-Wash too, think he fell Into a perfect long term situation! Thoughts?

5. Eric Kassor says:

Couple the depth at TE with his lack of production over 1st 2 years thus far and I’m not all that excited about Cameron. If his measureables matched his talent he surely would have found a more prominent role in the offense last year.

Are you guys doing a series on players where your picks deviate from the pack? For instance I saw Chad Scott make an argument for Pead recently. Not sure I’m on the train but its good to see you guys out there taking a stance.

6. Ray says:

This article simply confirms I will take Eifert at 1.7

THX!!

7. I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.

The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter
    stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an edgineess over that you wish be delivering the
    following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly
    again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you
    shield this increase.

8. Lona says:

It’s appropriate time to make a few plans for the long run and it’s time to be happy.
    I’ve read this submit and if I could I want to counsel you some fascinating things or tips.
    Perhaps you can write next articles regarding this
    article. I want to read more things about it!