10 Responses to “DLF Exclusive Interview: Vincent Brown, WR SD”

1. Scott Peak says:

Really great interview, Steve. I have high hopes for Vincent Brown this year, both as a dynasty player and fan of the Chargers. Thanks for doing these interviews. It provides a unique angle that is both interesting as a football fan and helpful for dynasty players.

2. SJ says:

So I’m still confused:

He was injured in the second preseason game, but placed on IR but with a designation to return. Considering how precious placing that designation for somebody is (as a team on gets one), SD must’ve really expected him to comeback at some point during the year and be impactful – yet he never did. Why????

I was really confused by this lack of recovery. I was counting on him in a few of my deeeeep 12 man starting lineup leagues and he cost me precious roster spots. It was a broken ankle straight up, no ligament tear, right? Low severity? And if it was that severe, why would the team ‘designate him for return’?

There has to be setbacks that no one is talking about! Just knowing this gives me red flags on going in on him next year. I want to see the 2013 preseason tape on him first.

• Scott Peak says:

I’m not worried about it. I think VB will be fine. I’m sure his fractured ankle will heal up and he will be 100% by TC. I wouldn’t read too much into him not returning. Bill Williamson made comments about VB being placed on the designated to return IR list so he could resume practicing (see link below). Without that designation, he would be out the entire year. Most ankle fractures will require athletes be non-weight bearing for six weeks, followed by rehab, so I think the initial estimate of a return to play in 2012 was probably more media hype than reality. Most athletes take 3-4 months to return to play from a broken ankle. I think the likely scenario is that San Diego wanted VB to get more practice time in to prepare for 2013, more than anything.

• Bigd says:

great info Scott. thanks. this eases my concern about the severity of the injury also. i thought there maybe more to the injury such as nerve damage as SJ stated. but this does answer some of that. great job

• SJ says:

Scott -

I remember reading this article, thank you for it but that info doesnt really help.

The concern is that he never made it back to the playing field. As mentioned, if SD designated him to return specifically for practice time, that move would be questionable considering how precious tabbing someone with that label is. He still could have recovered in rehab and practiced independently (like every other player does when placed on IR). SD wanted him to return to the field in NOV/DEC, but there had to be setbacks.

In the interview above, he mentions that he is still not all the way back to 100% and its been over 6 months…. even as a Brown supporter, thats a red-flag. Slower than normal injury concern. Do we really expect him to be usurping DX or Floyd, while still recovering, over the preseason? I have strong doubts that he’ll make any early impact this year. Lower leg/ankle injuries are tricky for some players to recover fully the next season. Look at Stewart, F.Jackson, etc.

• Scott Peak says:

Like any injury, nobody knows for sure what will happen until the games start. I think Vincent Brown’s ankle will be fine by the start of training camp. Given he got hurt in August 2012, I think it was overly optimistic to expect him back by week 8. Again, most ankle fractures need 3-4 months to heal. Demarco Murray had a similar ankle fracture and was back the following year. I think the same scenario applies to VB. That said, it just depends on a fantasy owner’s comfort zone about injury recovery. You may be right, but only time will tell. I think he is going to be fine, and probably most if not all of what he is saying in the above interview relates to testing the injury and regaining confidence in it. That can only happen once he returns to play.

• SJ says:

Exactly.. I want to see some game footage before going in on him.

If he still has what he had pre-injury, okay. But even he said he’s not the strongest and fastest and relies on his quicks in and out of routes to succeed… that means ankle mobility.

If he doesnt have that, and this injury was more severe then they’re letting us in on, as I suspect, then he could struggle long term.

• bryan altman says:

watching the situation form afar as a brown owner,, i remember the injury and reading that they didnt expect him to return until week 10 at the earliest,, if memory serves me correctly he came back in week 12 and started practicing,,i also think the chrgers were prety much done at that point in the season and for them to bring him back woldnt have helped them,, was hoping they would but they didnt,, why risk further injury for a waisted season,,, i have watched many of wr come into the league and the ones that hit are the ones that run the routes and have good hands,, if you are counting on brown then you are way to thin at wr in the first place,, if you having seting at the end of your bench were he should be then no harm no fowl,,

• Chalkkk says:

Your missing the point.. the injury is likely worse than the team/Brown is letting on given that he’s still recovering.

Id be worried if i expect him to do much. maybe next year id guess

3. Kyle Sisco says:

I wish VB the best of luck in the 2013 season.