Dynasty

Interactive Offseason Q&A

We’re turning our attention to 2022! Jeff Haverlack is here to talk you off the ledge, be your voice of reason or answer any questions you have.

Congratulations on making it through another eventful NFL season!  2021 is in the books and we can now, officially, turn our full attention to 2022.

I'm going to keep this short and sweet because you mostly likely don't care enough about many of my 2021 takeaways that are still bouncing through the recesses of my brain. To be sure, 2021 felt a lot different than previous years and I found myself contemplating material strategy changes to employ going forward based on some of the trends we continue to see. That probably makes for a good article in and of itself. Based upon the number of questions I continue to receive through our/my multiple channels, you all have lots of questions.  Being as how my favorite part of DLF is in my interaction with all of you, I'd say we're a pretty good match!

Overall, 2021 was one of my better dynasty seasons. I play in 12 dynasty leagues, 10 of which I measured in that two of them were orphan teams I adopted. I won't measure them until I have two years under my belt to complete a rebuild. For 2022, one of those teams will move up giving me 11 to measure. In the end, I sent 30% of my teams to the championship game and thought I could have 40% if not for a bad-beat in the semi-finals. 80% of my measured teams made the playoffs.

2021 was a great year but I spend little time looking in the rear-view mirror. To be sure, I do take a look at what made each team successful in hopes of replicating the variables across other teams but, in the end, I concern myself with making the playoffs more than winning the championship. Once you reach the playoffs, variability and luck both play very large roles. You need to have Lady Luck on your side.

One of my overarching take-aways from 2021 is that I now find myself shading more to young wide receivers over running backs when building my dynasty teams. I've always sought balance with a slight weight given to "known-role" running backs who also perform well in the passing game. A combination of injury, running back by committee (RBBC) trends and fading draft value over the years for the rushers has finally added enough straw to this camel's back that I've now changed my build strategy materially. I've dabbled with receiver-heavy builds in the past with decent results but the impact of a high-volume runner behind an effective offensive line is a difficult thing to pass up. Add in a top quality quarterback and the one-two punch can be a formidable advantage every Sunday. To wit, I'm also known to overweight top quarterbacks in my rankings because, once you have a young every-week starter and no longer have to play the rotation game, you understand just how much of a benefit it can be. Similar to the tight end position, outside of the top few players, you may have a starter but only a nominal advantage over your opponent.

With the NFL Combine drawing near, to be followed by the NFL Draft, dynasty rookie drafts and, then, start-up drafts, no doubt many of you have a lot of questions. Maybe you're wavering on your build strategy. Maybe you are wanting to build via the NFL Draft or, perhaps, even considering getting out of the rookie draft game altogether and going with more "known" production. In dynasty, it all has value and the different strategies is what makes the fantastic wheels of our hobby turn.

I certainly have my own style of play. I can be bold with some of my assertions, such as ignoring most of the current-day metric trends that I don't feel I need to use to be competitive. I've looked at them, used them and quickly discarded most. It adds a lot of work for no level of material return or advantage in my estimation. I also have found that "known value" is greater than "unknown" in most cases. Read that as a productive young player being worth more than a rookie draft selection of near-equal (Trade Analyzer) 'value.'  Value of tight ends in tight end premium formats? Vastly overrated based on my research, at least outside the top four or five players in our rankings. While I'm extremely supportive of any other coach using alternative strategies to me, don't think I'm wishy-washy with my own beliefs and strategy. When it comes down to winning my leagues, scouting rookies and ranking players, I follow what I have found to work best and make no apologies. I don't change what works because of hype or trend but I'm willing to adjust when I find doing so is justified.

You've read enough about me and my style, so let's get to your questions. My views are my own and don't be afraid to discard them completely if my advice/thoughts don't work for you, or are too much against your style. I strongly suggest not playing in any way which reduces the amount of enjoyment you derive from our favorite hobby.  First and foremost, this game needs to be fun! Anything above and beyond that is an added bonus.

Hit me with what is on your mind - all questions and comments accepted!

Go!

GET IN THE GAME!

Gain Instant Access to this article and so much more.

A full year of access is only $49.99.

Try DLF Premium for only $7.99 with a Monthly Subscription.

You can also get a DLF Premium Membership for FREE! Find out how.

• The best dynasty rankings in the industry
• Dynasty, Rookie & Superflex ADP
• Dynasty Trade Analyzer and other tools
• Our annual Dynasty & Rookie Draft Guides
• 365 days of content, tools, advice and support
• And so much more!

Join DLF Today!

Want more info about DLF Premium?
Find out more

Have questions or need some help?
Contact Us

Already a DLF Premium Member?

Interactive Offseason Q&A
5 1 vote
Rreinhold
7 months ago

You mention the formidable advantage of a top QB-WR combo. Which young (25 and under) QB and WR do you believe are most undervalued and would make a formidable dynasty combo moving forward?

Scott deVilleneuve
Reply to  Jeff Haverlack
7 months ago

Hi Jeff, love the article. Was curious as to whether or not you’d include D Watson in the elite QB group assuming he gets past his legal troubles. Last time he was on the field he was still a top 5 fantasy QB if memory serves. Would you treat him as such now as it seems like his value is unlikely to get lower.

Stephen Paratore
7 months ago

Hi Jeff, love me some DLF and appreciate all you do plus adding a personal touch. I will keep this simple: What are your thoughts on the 2022 & 2023 rookie class? Seems everyone is down on 22 class save for WR’s while the hype train has already started for 23 class.

Richard Davis
Reply to  Stephen Paratore
7 months ago

Hey Jeff. My question is kind of a more exact scenario of Stephen’s, so I’ll put it here: Would you trade 2022 1.01 for a GUARANTEED TOP 4(1.01-1.04) in 2023, STRAIGHT UP? 12Team/SuperFlex/PPR/TEprem. Thanks

Stephen Paratore
Reply to  Richard Davis
7 months ago

Richard, I’ll answer that easily. NO You shouldn’t make that trade. 1.01 is highly coveted & will gain value as your draft approaches. As draft gets closer someone likely will over pay. You have no guarantee other person pick is 1.04 or better (tho is good to project where a future pick will be) plus waiting a year you should get more for waiting. At minimum you should be getting a later first this year & a 2023 first OR two 2023 first for the 1.01. Wait for better offers, you will be happy you did. Good luck.

Richard Davis
Reply to  Stephen Paratore
7 months ago

Thanks for the reply Stephen. I’d love to get that kind of package for the 2022 1.01, however that would never happen in my particular league. In this particular league, the owner offering me his 2023 1st, has the WORST roster by far. He traded all his players at the end of last season to do a “rebuild” and has ZERO starting QBs or RBs, and his best WR is Julio Jones. He is GUARANTEED to get probably the 1.01 in 2023, but at least a TOP 3 pick. He wants Malik Willis. I have TLaw and Lance, and would prefer to grab Bijan with the 2023 1.01, but would even think Bryce Young would be better than Willis, with a Top 3 2023 pick. So while in most years, I’d agree the 1.01 is not worth a “random” 1st the Next season, in this case, I can pretty much GUARANTEE the pick will be Top 3, and have heard this 2022 class is much weaker than the 2023. Thanks for your advice

Richard Davis
Reply to  Jeff Haverlack
7 months ago

Thank you very much for the reply/advice Jeff. I guess I just undervalue this class compared to next years by a lot. I won’t do the straight up deal, but come draft time, if I can still get a top 3 2023 pick PLUS, I’ll probably look to deal. Thanks again

Richard Craven
7 months ago

Hey Jeff I am tanking next year before I start trying to compete again with my rebuild. Would you trade the Scary Terry for the 2.5 and a 23 1st? More than likely this guy will end in the middle of the pack. 5 to 8 range. (Not guaranteed of course)

Richard Craven
Reply to  Richard Craven

12 team superflex/ 2 QB

Ashley Moser

Hey Jeff,
Like you, Ive been leaning towards younger WRs over RBs.I took over an orphan a couple of years ago and stripped the team down to the bare bolts. I now have a formidable core of young WR talent (Chase, Higgins, Lamb, Mooney…with Burrow for the stacked set) but am extremely thin at RB (Dobbins is the only RB of consequence). I hold the 1.01 in rookie and, at this time, am considering either Hall or Spiller. However, Burks and Wilson can be argued as better value (according to latest DLF rankings). SO heres the age old question…in this case, do I draft for need or value in a depressed year for rookies?

Last edited 7 months ago by Ashley Moser
Gregory Massa
7 months ago

Hi Jeff, just wondering with the 2021 season officially over… why did you choose the Super Bowl winner from the previous season to be the picture for your article? You a niners fan or something? Lol

Nathaniel Broughton
7 months ago

Hey Jeff, I am doing a start up draft in April. It’ll be a 14 team super flex. I’ve never done a 14 team draft before. Any overall tips or Words of advice? Or perhaps an article you would recommend I read?

Nathaniel Broughton
Reply to  Jeff Haverlack
7 months ago

Thanks for the helpful thoughts! And I’d love an article down the road!

Gregory Massa
Reply to  Nathaniel Broughton
7 months ago

Im in a 16-team league, not SF, but depending on your scoring format go *heavy* on QB and RB.

Nathaniel Broughton
Reply to  Gregory Massa

Thx for the response

Travis Steffey
7 months ago

Hey Jeff, 12 team .5 your thoughts on this move I made. Traded Hollywood, Mixon and 2.09 for J Williams and 1.11. The calculator has me losing by a bit but I’m feeling it. It gives me Gibson and Williams at rb and Adams, Waddle, E Moore at WR, with a chance to replace Brown in picks 1.04 and 1.11. Did I give up to much? Thanks in advance

Travis Steffey
Reply to  Jeff Haverlack
7 months ago

thanks for the reply! So much content on this site, its helped me tremendously this year! Would you flip that 1.11 for Jeudy? Owner has been shopping him and I tried with Hollywood before I traded him but he didnt want any part of that. As of now pick 1.11 could be any of Pickens, Dotson or rb with Williams or White. Would you prefer any of them over Jeudy?

Richard Craven
Reply to  Travis Steffey

Easily trade the 1.11 for Jeudy

Richard Craven

Hey Jeff would you trade the 1.01 for Waddle? 12 team 2 Qb/superflex

VIN DACCARDI
7 months ago

Hey Jeff. My draft also includes free agent vets. Some of the better players still available are Rashad Penny, Josh Palmer, Shenault, & Golladay I have picks 1.3, 1.8, & 1.9. Being that this is considered a weak draft class, do you think they are better options than the rookies that will be available? Its a 1qb, standard league.

Richard Craven
7 months ago

Hey Jeff would you trade Deebo for for the 2.6 and 2.7 and a 23 1st (More than likely 6 to 10 pick)? 12 team 2 qb ppr

Austin Nathan
7 months ago

Hey Jeff, I am in a 10 team/superflex/4 pt qb/non ppr and coming back from a rebuild. I have the 1.02 and the 1.03 this year and looking at Hall/Spiller/Burks with my 2 picks, any preference? Take hall or spiller and then trade down for a different WR? Not sure how much people are willing to trade up in this draft though.
WRs:Justin jefferson, OBJ, Devonta Smith, Gabe Davis, Amon Ra St brown, Christian Kirk, Denzel Mims, Crowder, Lazard, and jakobi Meyers. RBs are CEH, Javonte williams, Ronald Jones, Marlon Mack, Darrell Henderson, and Travis Etienne. QB’s are burrow, wilson, trask, newton, rudolph.
I have the left players off that weren’t really of note.
I also have 3 1st round picks for 2023 where I am planning on taking a QB/WR/RB depending on where the draft spots land. Or taking a couple QB’s or RB’s next year, will see when that gets closer next year.

Austin Nathan
Reply to  Jeff Haverlack
7 months ago

I do agree the top 4 WR’s all seem to be at the same level, im hoping the guy at the 1.01 makes my choice easy but still have to go and watch more tape on the other WR’s. Thanks for the input Jeff!

Andrew Jarvis
7 months ago

Hey Jeff! Question on what I should do with the 1.02 this year (12 Team SF). I have a decent team ascending from a rebuild with QB – Burrow, Dak & Mills; WR – AJB, Godwin, ARob, Bateman, R. Moore, Juju; TE – Pitts, but RB is pretty weak with only Javonte (Mack, Foreman, Vaughn as stashes). Should I use the 1.02 to grab Hall (QB most likely going at 1.01) in hopes for a legit RB2 to help me compete this year? I also have 2.04, 2.06 and 2.08 and 3 2023 firsts. Just not sure if my lack of RB depth will allow me to compete this year. Thanks!

Last edited 7 months ago by Andrew Jarvis
Travis Steffey
7 months ago

Hey Jeff, wanting to pick your brain on last years rookie wrs. Outside of Chase who do you see as having the most potential down the road to be a true star? A lot of love out there for Waddle (I have a couple shares myself) I do know his target share was huge last year and definitely helped inflate his stats. Not saying its fools gold, as I think he will be solid…but is it possible he’s worth more now then he ever will be? Ive contemplated trading him this offseason as it seems like the whole league is interested. If so, what would it take for you to deal him..thanks in advance

7 months ago

Hey there, I am in “win now mode”. I am offering Zeke Elliott for Michael Carter and a 2022 2nd round pick (we keep 10 players). My team is good, but I have very little draft capital the next three years. This is a chance for me to get young at RB. Am I giving up on Zeke too early? He is on my bench. I start Najee Harris and Josh Jacobs. A penny for your thoughts…

Reply to  Jeff Haverlack

Thanks man!

Gordon Thomas
7 months ago

I traded away the 2022 draft to get players like Chase, Pitts, Devonta, EMoore, etc. In my SuperFlex, I may be losing Rodgers. (We’ll see.) I also have Mahomes, Mayfield, and Taysom. What QBs might fall to the third round in a SuperFlex? It’s easy to say NONE will be there, and I know it’s too early, we have to wait until we see where they land, but just based on skill alone, who should I keep an eye on here? Last year David Mills fell to 3.08 in our league. Trask and Mond also went in the third. Thoughts? THANKS!

Gordon Thomas
Reply to  Jeff Haverlack
7 months ago

Cool, thanks. I had Zappe on the radar, but not Strong. If you see this follow-up question, do you think either of them will actually BE THERE in the third round? Have you seen any mock drafts yet that might help me to have reasonable expectations for the third round? Thanks.

Gordon Thomas
Reply to  Jeff Haverlack
7 months ago

I’ll keep an eye on rankings and landing spot, but who do you prefer between these two? Thanks!

Bmlee100
7 months ago

Hi Jeff, appreciate you doing this. I went all in last year to win back to back chips and it worked but now I have no picks the next three years. I still view my team as a clear contender and am very torn on a trade offer I received. I was offered Joe Mixon, Tony Pollard & a 2023 2nd for JK Dobbins and Michael Carter. While I want Mixon and a more sure thing at RB2 I’m not sure how much it helps considering I am essentially going 2 for 1. Having a pick in my back pocket to potentially use to trade for a need that arises later would also be nice. My core start-able players are below for context.

Thanks again for all you and everyone else at DLF does to help me win!

QB: Kyler, Burrow, Cousins, Winston, Mills
RB: Dalvin, Aaron Jones, Dobbins, Carter, AJ Dillon (Plus Mattison & Gus Edwards)
WR: Davante, Kupp, Deebo, Godwin, Van Jefferson, Curtis Samuel, Corey Davis, Will Fuller
TE: Andrews & Goedert

Bmlee100
Reply to  Jeff Haverlack
7 months ago

Thanks Jeff, appreciate the response!

Aaron Taylor
7 months ago

My league is moving to SuperFlex in 2023 with the stipulation that passing TDs are worth 4 points (instead of 6 points). How much are QB values affected in SF with less points for passing TDs?

Mitchell Ostrove
7 months ago

Hey Jeff, appreciate you doing this! I’m in a 10tm league, .5ppr, 1QB/2RB/3WR/3Flx. The league is switching to super flex in 24. My main players and picks are below. Thoughts on moves I should try to make? I know I need QB help before 24, but not sure what moves (if any) I should be making now. Thanks for the help!

QB – Tua, Baker
RB – Javonte, Gibson, ETN, Rhamondre, Sermon, RoJo
WR – Chase, Lamb, E Moore, Bateman, Gallup, Juju, Rondale
TE – Pitts, B Jordan, Trautman
Picks – 22: 1.03, 1.07, 23: 3 1sts and 3 2nds

aleksandar tojcic
7 months ago

What is your opinion on Miles Sanders? I traded 1.11 for him. Have Ekeler, Hunt, C.Pat, RoJO and Gaskin for rbs, WRS are: Diontae Johnson, AJB, Godwin, C. Davis, Kirk and Gage. Finished 3rd past year and was leading in the playoffs until final week. Figured Sanders and his price with being lead back with some upside is worth more to me than a late 1st 2022 rookie. Thoughts?

trappy31

Hi Jeff,

I’d like to get your thoughts on a trade offer I received – I get Justin Jefferson and I give Justin Fields and Calvin Ridley. My team is not ready to compete and my QB depth isn’t great (this is super flex), so I lean towards rejecting it.

QB: Justin Fields, Mac Jones, Mayfield
RB: Elijah Mitchell, Rhamondre, James Robinson, Chase Edmunds
WR: Marquise Brown, Chase Claypool, Amari Cooper, Jerry Jeudy, Calvin Ridley
TE: Pat Freiermuth, Dallas Goedert

I also have the 1.03, 1.05, and 1.08 if that matters.

Would you accept or reject?

Thanks for doing this!

Bmlee100

Hi Jeff,

Thanks again for your response to my earlier question, have decided I agree and am going to stand pat for now.

As I mentioned I have traded all my picks from ‘22-‘24 so just wanted to get your overall thoughts on my basic plan from here. My core players are included below again for reference (forgot to mention it is a very deep 10 team, SF, .5 PPR league).

Right now I am planning to test the market for Davante & Cook early in the season and see if I can make a move either for a younger established player. Assuming I cannot do that I will see how the season plays out but in either ‘23 or ‘24 I am tentatively planning to shop everyone but my QBs for picks and rebuild so I can hopefully make it a short one and be back to contending with all my picks in ‘25/‘26. The overall philosophy I am following is to be first or last and I anticipate my team will no longer be a real contender in ‘23/‘24 once my older vets fall off (unless I successfully move them for younger guys of course).

Thanks again for doing this! Interested to hear your thoughts on the overall philosophy.

QB: Kyler, Burrow, Cousins, Winston, Mills
TE: Andrews & Goedert

Ed Sulek
7 months ago

Hi Jeff, I’d like to get your thoughts on my best move with the 2022 rookie draft. I currently own the 1.11 and 1.12 picks in a 12 team, 1 QB, .5 ppr, 25 man roster league. My team is in very good standing having won the league championship this past season making it a total of 3 championships in the past 5 seasons. My roster consists of the following, keeping in mind we must carry at minimum 3 QBs, 5 RBs, 6 WRs, 2 TEs, 2 K’s, and 2 DSTs:

QB: Mahomes, Fields, Wentz
RB: Javonte Williams, Dobbins, Edwards-Helaire, Hunt, Mike Boone, Derrick Gore, Dare Ogunbowale
WR: Chase, McLaurin, Higgins, Diontae Johnson, Claypool, Sutton, Marquise Brown, Smith-Schuster, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Shenault
TE: Hockenson, Freiermuth
K: Gay, Carlson
D: Washington, Miami

I have been contemplating trying to completely trade out of the 2022 rookie draft which consists of just my two picks (1.11 and 1.12) and seeing if I could possibly gain a 2023 1st rd pick even if it means paying a little more on my end and flipping both 2022 1st rd picks for a random 2023 1st rd pick. Would that be giving up too much on my end even though they say the 2023 draft will be much better than this 2022 draft class?

I feel my team is in pretty good shape for the next year where I could get away with not making any rookie picks this season in a draft that I do not feel great about, especially when not having a top half of the 1st rd pick. From what I have been reading this draft class is a big cluster and crap shoot of guys where for the most part none of have really separated themselves from the pack at each given position like in recent years drafts. Would I be better off just taking a shot at likely a more sure thing player with the extra 1st rd pick in 2023 then having 2 complete wild cards in 2022 if I was to make the picks at 1.11 and 1.12?

Your thoughts on my question would be greatly appreciated and also if not in favor of such a move if you have any other suggestions on how to approach my situation. A few quick ones I also thought about trying was maybe trying to flip both the 1.11 and 1.12 picks for a guy like E Moore or Etienne.

Vendetta .

Hey Jeff,
I was just curious how you balance “fun” and “logic” in making trades. Case in point, I’ve got a solid team in my main league but one that is beginning to age and I have a hole to fill at RB. I drafted Kyle Pitts last year and also have Travis Kelce who is my most moveable piece. Logic would dictate that I look to move Kelce to try and shore up my hole and move on with Pitts as my TE1.
I’ve put Kelce on the block and currently awaiting offers but when it comes to actually think about my team without him I start feeling pre-seller’s remorse. He’s been on my team longer than anybody and is one of my favorite players to watch every Sunday. I also have Patrick Mahomes so it’s been a blast tuning in to Chiefs games to watch both of them play pitch and catch. I feel like it would be painful to watch games next year knowing that I gave that up no matter how much my head tells me it’s time to move on, I don’t know how to convince my heart it’s the right move to make for my team.

7 months ago

Hey Jeff. I am in “win now” mode. What are your thoughts on me trading Zeke Elliott, Tony Pollard, and a handful of mid round picks (we keep 10 players-so 14th, 15th rounders) for Nick Chubb? I am a little leery to get rid of Pollard, but Chubb is really good. What do you think?
I am assuming I offer the trade, but would prefer your blessing first.

Stephen Paratore

Hi Jeff,
FFPC question: I won the Ship in a standard league and set to contend. As you know, FFPC is short bench with 1.5 PPR for TE, I am set with Goedert, Schultz, and Fant. Starters are Lamar, CMC, Taylor, Chase, Deebo, Renfro, with FLEX/back ups Edmonds, Jamaal Williams, Cooks, JuJu, Gallup, and the three TE above. Current picks of note are 1.10, 2.06, 2.12 & 2023 picks are intact.
Would you consider selling Fant or Schultz or keep all three TE? I may look to sell one with 1.10 for viable RB would be my main thought. So far only getting offers for picks which does not help my to defend the title. Thank you, Steve

Richard Craven
7 months ago

In a rebuild (tanking one more year) would you trade Deebo and 2.10 for Waddle 2.06?

2QB/Superflex PPR

6 months ago

Hey Jeff, I know it is way too early to have a thought on Albert Okuwegbunam, but the dude is 6’5”, 240 lbs, and runs a 4.49 40. He ate into Fant’s numbers significantly, and as of now is the #1 TE in Denver. So he has some production and now a much better QB. Do you think he may be legit, or am I over analyzing this whole thing?