Dynasty

Analysis of 2021 Rookie Running Backs: Final Rankings

Javonte Williams

GET IN THE GAME!

Gain Instant Access to this article and so much more.

A full year of access is only $49.99.

Try DLF Premium for only $7.99 with a Monthly Subscription.

• The best dynasty rankings in the industry
• Dynasty, Rookie & Superflex ADP
• Dynasty Trade Analyzer and other tools
• Our annual Dynasty & Rookie Draft Guides
• 365 days of content, tools, advice and support
• And so much more!

Join DLF Today!

Want more info about DLF Premium?
Find out more

Have questions or need some help?
Contact Us

Already a DLF Premium Member?

Analysis of 2021 Rookie Running Backs: Final Rankings
4.7 13 votes
Vespa
1 month ago

I like the analysis on Sermon, if I do end up with him anywhere and he does get in and have a couple big games I’ll be looking to move on. Nice writeup.

Wendell Bera
1 month ago

For the most part I agree with you assessments, though I think Sermon/Mitchell could be the long term rb’s in SF as just about everyone else are FA after this year. I’d be more inclined to see how that plays out before I flipped them after a few good games. Also think you’re selling Kylin Hill a little short. Jones’ contract is basically 2 yrs max. And if they really wanted too, they could cut him after this year. They would take a hit, but it would be less than 1 mil hit against the cap. Less if declared a post June 1st cut. If you have the room to hold onto him, I think he makes for a sneaky later round stash.

John Seger
1 month ago

Thanks, Mike!! Always love your write ups. Would you change anything for a no 1QB, PPR league? I pick 4th in the 1st and I pick 3rd in rounds 2-7.
Looking forward to the full rankings!! Speaking of rankings, why aren’t yours in the rankings section of the DLF site?

John Seger
Reply to  Mike Havens
1 month ago

Yeah, I see you there. Just not in the Rookie ranks, which is where I spend most of my time. And thanks again!

Aaron Taylor
1 month ago

Any idea why Gainwell fell to the 5th round?

Alexander Scott
1 month ago

Any thoughts on Stevenson? Harris and Sony appear to be capped so maybe there’s intrigue? And wouldn’t Damien get the nod if Montgomery went down?

Nice analysis!

Slick M.
1 month ago

Absolutely love the analysis! Thanks again Mike. Quick note on Gainwell – I love the mention about his slot prowess. I think that adds extra upside (as you mentioned), particularly with a new coaching staff and where the league is headed. You never know! As a result, he gets a boost in my rankings, especially in PPR. I know you mentioned you would be willing to do a historical look at a few RB classes, we are definitely looking forward to that. Keep us posted on when that might drop.

Leonard Young
1 month ago

I think you have Javonte Williams a little too low. If you believe yards after contact and elusive rating (broken tackles per attempt) are the most predictive stats for NFL success, he is the #1 RB prospect. He’s also younger. He also has ideal size. He shows good but not great receiving skills. He does not have great long speed, but there are countless examples of great runners who cannot run under 4.5 in the 40.

Vespa
Reply to  Leonard Young
1 month ago

Interesting stuff.

Leonard Young
Reply to  Mike Havens
1 month ago

David Montgomery is really good, though. Using that comp does not exactly help your case. Regardless, Williams is a significantly better prospect coming out of college than Montgomery was. I don’t think he’s going to struggle as a rookie like Montgomery did. We shall see what the future brings, but Williams (for the current price) is my favorite rookie RB this year.

Ed Sulek
1 month ago

Excellent article and insight Mike, absolutely love this follow-up article. I will surely be using this as my RB cheat sheet for my draft (have the 1.04, 1.10, and 2.06 picks in the first few rounds). As you had mentioned in an earlier comment about the 1.04 pick, I am guaranteed one of Chase, Harris, Etienne, or Pitts so I’m pretty excited.
Curious since I was so invested in last years RB class having drafted CEH at 1.01 and Dobbins at 1.06 where would you rank say the top 5 of so in this 2021 class compared with what was the top handful or so from the 2020 class (CEH, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Akers, and Gibson)?