Dynasty

Dynasty Post Draft Analysis: 32 Teams, 32 Questions – Part One

In part one of this series, we take a look at defining post-draft questions for each team

Editor Note: This is part one of a four-part series.

The 2020 NFL Draft came and went with a lot of energy, excitement and certainly a new look no one could have foreseen just a few months ago.

Despite the uncertainty imparted by the COVID-19 pandemic, it was the most interesting and engaging draft we've had yet. I can't ever remember watching every round unfold with as much interest as the round before it, but that is exactly what happened. Being brought into the homes of the players, coaches and GM's added a personal element to the broadcast that hasn't been present before.  And as for the draft itself, what a great one it was!

The 2020 NFL Draft had all the elements of 2014 and in the end, at least in my estimation, surpassed it to become my favorite draft of all-time, not only for the new process but in the depth and talent of this year's rookie class. There was talent, intrigue and mystery at every position and with every selection and, like any good novel, ample amounts of twists, turns and subtle plot lines to keep things interesting from beginning to end.

Now that the dust has settled and each rookie has a new home, we need to survey the landscape to determine what opportunities exist, what the future holds for the teams and what questions remain. All selections are not created equal and as this was a very deep draft class.  Dynasty players need to spend extra time getting these selections correct so as not to waste their precious draft capital.  So join me here as I spin you around the league through all 32 teams, in two parts, to look at what I believe to be the primary questions for the upcoming season and beyond. Following each player in parentheses, including rookies, will be his DLF positional ranking.  For specific rookie rankings, please consult our rookie rankings.

One note before we begin.  As is always the case, the opinions here are my own. I spend a lot of time watching tape, reading proven NFL expert analysis and forming my own conclusions about talent to predict potential at the next level for the rookies and veteran players. In my fantasy activities I focus on ignoring hype, bold calls and meaningless data and, instead, focus on trends, production and metrics I feel have the most impact without a level of subjectivity.  In everything I do, my objectivity is my calling card whether it's in the court of popular opinion or if I'm by myself on an island.

Let's get started with the NFC.

NFC Part One

Arizona

Will Kyler Murray take the next step?

GET IN THE GAME!

Gain Instant Access to this article and so much more.

A full year of access is only $49.99.

Try DLF Premium for only $7.99 with a Monthly Subscription.

You can also get a DLF Premium Membership for FREE! Find out how.

• The best dynasty rankings in the industry
• Dynasty, Rookie & Superflex ADP
• Dynasty Trade Analyzer and other tools
• Our annual Dynasty & Rookie Draft Guides
• 365 days of content, tools, advice and support
• And so much more!

Join DLF Today!

Want more info about DLF Premium?
Find out more

Have questions or need some help?
Contact Us

Already a DLF Premium Member?

Dynasty Post Draft Analysis: 32 Teams, 32 Questions – Part One
Leo Guidroz

Great choice of questions Jeff. I asked the same or similar ones for the teams discussed (except for CHI for which I don’t care).
RE: Dallas – Gallup. I agree you have to fade Gallup, but only slightly. Jarwin will not get Witten’s 83 targets (2019). Of those Jarwin does not get, the lion’s share should go to Gallup. It won’t equal his 113 from 2019, but upper 80’s should be expected. Is 52/600/4 a WR35? He is entering his Year 3. I still like him as my WR3/4 this season.

dcragel

As a former Cooper owner, I feel like the arrival of Lamb is being overly deemed as bad for Gallup but more neutral for Cooper. I like that you at least address this could hurt Cooper’s target volume, while he could be more efficient, but honestly, I feel like Cooper’s value was already impacted by Gallup to begin with. Obviously there is part of me that wants to be vindicated for trading Cooper, but I am glad I did. Most overrated WR in the league imo. Unbelievably inconsistent, and unreliable. While he is praised for his route running constantly, I feel like he is easily removed from games. Will be interesting to see how this season plays out in the big D.

Wendell Bera

15 years ago one of GB’s top needs was a WR for Brett Favre. Even though they had no real need for a QB they chose Aaron Rogers instead, yet no one said boo about it. The brain trust saw value and capitalized on it. In the end, it allowed the franchise to continue to dominate the division for another decade + once Favre eventually moved on. So why does everyone think that this time around is any different than back then? Much like fantasy drafts, the player you draft isn’t always going to be the do all savior as much as we would like them to be. People seem to think that rookie WR’s are all going to come into the league and take it by storm in their 1st year. Who’s to say that one of the current players won’t take the more traditional route and emerge after playing a few years. Will a more seasoned vet signing like Funchess out perform a rookie. That is yet to be seen. And finally GB has squat for a backup QB and this gives them the best one they’ve had since a guy named Aaron Rogers was the backup.

Wendell Bera
Reply to  Jeff Haverlack

I agree that WR isn’t as big a need as most make it out to be. I also think last years’ “conflict” between LeFleur and Rogers was much more media driven than anything else. Of course people were going to raise the question of who’s in charge. A 1st year coach or the grizzly vet who’s one of the GOATs at his position. I think the end results, speaks volumes as to how much tension there really was. I was hoping to snag Funchess late in one of my early drafts but alas someone nabbed him a few picks before I had the chance. He’s taken in another league so I might take a flier on ESB.

Slick M.

on GB – drafting Love is definitely a shot at ARod. If he hasn’t himself declined, then his value to the organization and team certainly has. Bringing in LaFleur and allowing him to run his run-based scheme does not make ARod happy. Yes he wants to win and last year he took them as far as he could. But he knows he is still far off with the Niners and others who are a step above. He wants to throw the rock. All QBs do. And he also wants everything to go through him. He came of age that way. His ego is the size of Wisconsin. The QB/Coach tension remains and I agree this is the year where the rubber meets the road, at least publicly. No way ARod finishes his career in GB, especially now that Brady and Rivers are gone. I think he will be scouting teams all season for his next landing spot. And the WRs outside of Davante are basically useless. I am not saying there is no talent but for whatever reason ARod doesn’t like or trust them. Lazard got some love but does he even matter? You have to hope at least one more option emerges, but no one really knows who it will be. And even so, the 2nd pass catcher will be volatile. My 2 cents. Excellent article and approach. Look forward to reading part 2.

Steffan

With Aaron Rogers potentially playing somewhere other than Green Bay within the next couple years should we be looking at 2020 as the last year to sell high on Davante Adams or do you expect his value hold when Rodgers does move on?