Dynasty

Is David Montgomery a Dynasty Stud in the Making?

Is David Montgomery ready for a year-two leap? We examine his rookie performance.

David Montgomery

GET IN THE GAME!

Gain Instant Access to this article and so much more.

A full year of access is only $49.99.

Try DLF Premium for only $7.99 with a Monthly Subscription.

• The best dynasty rankings in the industry
• Dynasty, Rookie & Superflex ADP
• Dynasty Trade Analyzer and other tools
• Our annual Dynasty & Rookie Draft Guides
• 365 days of content, tools, advice and support
• And so much more!

Join DLF Today!

Want more info about DLF Premium?
Find out more

Have questions or need some help?
Contact Us

Already a DLF Premium Member?

Is David Montgomery a Dynasty Stud in the Making?
10 months ago

David Montgomery was the 5th worst RB in terms of expected points per touch.

He averaged 3.67 YPC on the season. It would be 3.54 if we didn’t count the week 17 game against the Vikings backups(they were in the playoffs).

Making a defender miss is only good if the player is efficient with movements, space and time. Montgomery dances too much and inefficient. This was true of his rookie season and his whole career at Iowa.

All broken tackles aren’t equal.

As a Bears fan, I can’t wait for them to replace him.

Trevor Van Schyndel
Reply to  Nick Whalen
10 months ago

For one, Iowa State, not Iowa.

Aaron Taylor
10 months ago

I agree with Nick above. Monty has no burst, average vision and no breakaway speed. I think Monty will have the volume but will disappoint owners with many single digit weeks in 2020. He had 9 single digit weeks in 2019!! The Bears need to get creative and give more action to Cohen in space instead of plodding Monty out for 250 carries.

I actually traded Montgomery after I posted his highlights from the Vikings game in week 17 (no one seemed to be aware that the Vikings were playing their backups). I also included a comparison of Monty’s rookie stats vs Melvin Gordon, Leveon Bell and Christian McCaffrey’s rookie stats – quite comparable in efficiencies. The used car salesman trick worked and the trade ended up as Monty & Hunter Henry for DK Metcalf – love it!

Steven roach
Reply to  Aaron Taylor
10 months ago

You took an L on that trade.

Rodolfo Jacinto
Reply to  Steven roach
10 months ago

I like the trade. He got the safest asset with massive, year 1 proven upside.

neil chester

neil chester
10 months ago

The reason why he has to break so many tackles is because he has little juice. He has to juke and jive like crazy coz everyone can keep up with him lol

Kevin Knowlan
10 months ago

Looking at that page from pro-football-reference.com, out of 45 RBs with at least 100 carries last season, Monty finished 42nd in average yards after contact and 24th in yards before contact. Judging based on these stats, Chicago’s o-line was the definition of middle of the pack in creating space for Monty and while Monty was able to shed tackles at a high rate, he was completely inept at turning those broken tackles into production. He also had 242 carries last year, so I’m doubtful he can add much more volume this year. TL;DR Monty’s value is based on volume, not talent and we may have already seen his ceiling.

Aaron Taylor
10 months ago

Monty ranked third in carries inside the 5 yard line and finished third worst in TD rate. He finished 46th out of 47 runners in YAC per attempt and 4th worst in yards per route run. Ouch. The hate for Monty is real.

Christoph Phipps
10 months ago

Love when there are this many Bears fans that disagree with the writer. I can’t wait for there to be a Justice Hill article so I can blast his low football IQ. I watched two Bears games and Monty looks plodding, unexplosive, and probably shouldn’t be getting this big a workload. But he’ll probably get it again in ‘20 just to see what he has. I traded for him as my fourth RB, I just need startable weeks.

Kathryn Naglak
10 months ago

I’m a Bears fan and just traded Monty. He’s been mediocre as have the Bears in general, that’s not going to change soon.

Ben Chase
10 months ago

What do you get when you combine poor oline with an inept QB, bad play calling, and defenses that sell out to stop the run?

A fan base that that gives up on a talented rookie RB. (Appreantly I am the exception)

Lamont Wright
Reply to  Ben Chase

Agreed Mr. Chase

EDWARD WILLIAMS
Reply to  Ben Chase

Yep

matthew digiovanni
10 months ago

Good to see all the comments agreeing with my own thoughts on him.

Nothing to see here guys. Let’s move along.