Dynasty

DLF’s Weekly Impact Events

Franklin

If today’s Weekly Impact Events had a theme song, it would be Money by Pink Floyd. “Money, so they say, is the root of all evil today. But if you ask for a rise, it’s no surprise, that they’re giving none away.”

Money could be the root of all evil for your dynasty team as well. Of course you want your players to be paid well. High salaries and long term contracts represent the dedication your players’ real life football team has to them. After all, I honestly believe Brandon Marshall’s value went up slightly when the Chicago Bears gave him a contract extension. The organization now has every reason to make sure Marshall stays on the field, and producing, for as long as possible. We all know that you’re not going to select your dynasty players based on contract size and length, nor should you. We do, and should, get the warm fuzzy feeling inside when our fantasy players get paid. We just don’t want them holding out of regular season games to do so.

Johnathan Franklin, RB GB

News: The Green Bay Packers organization, and Franklin himself, have confirmed he will be retiring from the NFL after only one season. Franklin injured his neck last year and has not fully recovered.

Analysis: It is amazing how fast things change in the NFL. Here I was finishing up the last bit of this article when the news broke. I believe this is obviously the headline news, so I bumped it up. Many dynasty league owners used a late first round rookie pick on Franklin last year. Some used a second rounder and felt they got “value” – this is a reminder of how fluid situations are in the NFL and dynasty leagues. A career ending injury is right around the corner for any of these players. Franklin is droppable in any dynasty format.

Vernon Davis, WR SF

News: Davis did not attend the 49ers’ mandatory mini camp this week. He was also not present during OTA’s in an attempt to force his team to upgrade his salary. He is currently scheduled to make $4.7 million next year

Analysis: It is easy to criticize players for holding out. They’re getting paid millions of dollars to play a game most of us would play for free. The truth is, most of us would hold out if given the chance, too. Davis plays much better than his salary would dictate, therefore he deserves more money. As of now, this has no bearing on his value in dynasty leagues. If this situation lingers, it absolutely could negatively affect Davis. If the 49ers give him a long term extension, he could see a slight bump in value due to the teams commitment in him.

Jimmy Graham, TE(?) NO

News: The NFL and the Players association have met for multiple days this week in an attempt to settle a grievance over whether Graham should be franchised tagged under the ‘tight end’ designation, or whether he can be considered a ‘wide receiver.’ Graham, who is scheduled to make just over $7 million as a tight end, could make upwards of $12.3 million if considered a tight end.

Analysis: The only real aspect with Graham affecting dynasty owners is whether he will be designated a tight end for fantasy purposes. In all likelihood, he will be considered a tight end by most fantasy host sites regardless of the outcome of the hearing. Even if Graham were to be considered a wide receiver, his value would not disappear. He would be considered by most to be in the top wide receiver tier, he would just lose his positional advantage. If you can buy Graham on the cheap from a frightened owner, I’d advise doing that immediately.

Marshawn Lynch, RB SEA

[inlinead]News: Lynch is sitting out of the Seahawks’ mandatory mini camp due to a minor ankle injury. The real news being Lynch hinted at retiring last week if not given a raise in salary. It seems as if Lynch may be using the ankle injury as a minor protest.

Analysis: Will Lynch retire? Probably not. He is a free spirited man, and has been reported to done quite well saving his money. The possibility of Lynch retiring is not inconceivable, though. The tread on his tires has to be wearing down. He’s handled the load in Seattle and has carried the ball 901 times over the last three years. Even if “Beast Mode” stays in town, he’s a likely salary cap casualty next year. I will not advise you sell Lynch cheap, but if you can get solid value for him, I’d jump on the opportunity in a heartbeat.

Jason Pierre-Paul, DE NYG

News: Pierre-Paul says he is not completely healthy and he “still feels something.” He did go on to say it wouldn’t affect his ability to play football.

Analysis: The IDP world had their eyes opened to Pierre-Paul’s ability during his 2011 campaign in which he recorded 86 tackles and 16.5 sacks. The last two seasons have been disappointing for Giants fans and IDP owners alike as Pierre-Paul has not managed to replicate those statistics. Next season, Pierre-Paul could recover, as he seems to be as healthy as possible. I’m cautiously optimistic about Pierre-Paul’s dynasty prospects. He should still be considered a top five defensive end in almost every format.

Andre Johnson, WR HOU

News: Johnson has been extremely vocal about wanting out of Houston. He backed up his words this week by not showing up for mandatory mini camps.

Analysis: There may be some real fire to this smoke. Johnson wants out of Houston, there’s no doubt about that. With his salary and age, he’s unlikely to find many suitors willing to trade for him, given the likely asking price. The most likely scenario seems to be Johnson eventually reporting, but it is certainly a situation to monitor.

It’s seemed lately that each Weekly Impact Events has a theme and I’ve honestly not done that on purpose. A month or two ago, we had draft talk. Two weeks ago I analyzed “coach speak.” Another week it seemed each player I mentioned was dealing with an injury. Today’s theme was obviously mini camp holdouts. Once again, we can criticize these players all we want, but the capitalistic society we live in dictates the way these players negotiate. We all know the teams wouldn’t have any loyalty to the players if the contracts weren’t legally binding.

Keeping up with the theme of the week, I’ll leave you with some more classic song lyrics. “The best things in life are free, but you can keep them for the birds and bees. Now give me money. That’s what I want.” Many of you know those lyrics come from one of the greatest bands of all time – The Beatles.

Follow me on Twitter: @KarlSafchick

[ad5]

GuernseyGambler

If Graham wins his hearing to be called a WR then it would be ridiculous to have him considered a TE for fantasy purposes….

kcDemonSlayer
Reply to  GuernseyGambler

I think the hearing is more a leverage play. Even if they rule that he is a WR and award him a Franchise Tag of 12 mil, he will never see that…..it’s not financially viable. The Saints will simply make him the highest paid TE in a long term deal which would be around 8mil/year.

Jacob Feldman
Reply to  GuernseyGambler

Most fantasy league management websites use team depth charts to determine what position a player is listed as. Even if Graham wins his case, I still see the Saints listing him as a TE on their depth chart.

Ryan
Reply to  GuernseyGambler

I don’t believe it’s crazy to keep his as a TE for fantasy purposes. This is going to be ground breaking if he wins though. All pass catching TEs will want to be paid similar to a WR. It’s almost like a new position, TE size and traits but more emphasis on pass catching. All of a sudden a TE such as Davis, Thomas, Gronk will no longer want top TE money they will want top WR money which will open a can of worms. NFL teams have gotten around this for awhile with the emergence of high volume pass catching TEs.

SJ

RE: Franklin

I’m beginning to think 4th round draft picks are cursed. After reading an excellent article on this topic a few weeks back, of how few 4th round rbs actually pan out. Now with the Franklin news, I’m definitely giving pause to ever taking a rookie Rb outside of rd 3, and why I’m not excited about Freeman on Atl.

Slick
Reply to  SJ

good point SJ. but if u read Jacob’s latest undervalued article, he makes an ex excellent point about the only 4th rounders (or later) picks you can trust – Belichick and Shanahan. SInce Shanahan is done for now (unless you count his son), James White would qualify. don’t rule him out yet!

doktor
Reply to  Slick

LOVE me some James White. 🙂

Wayne

I am ok with a dual listing for him. I believe that is what he is and it would just offer flexibility.

Milkmoney

Good article Karl,
A couple of follow up questions as a Lynch / Turbin owner:

1. With Lynch’s odd offseason, does Christine Michael’s value increase sooner than later what has already been projected?

2. Passively have tried to move Lynch all offseason bc he is a large part of what I feel could be a championship team (Finished 3rd in points / with only Glennon as QB, have since added Romo ). Anyways, from a value standpoint, does the following make sense:

Lynch

DL (2)
LB (2)
DB (2)

Chris in Chuck
Reply to  Milkmoney

I am an Ellington owner.
If I want to win a championship this year, I prefer Lynch.

SJ

Why is V.Davis playing at much higher level than his salary dictates?

Hes paid as the top 3 TE, and when he signed the contract it was historically the biggest for a TE ever. I disagree and would say that this is one of the few times the team did right and fans should be upset for a player being greedy and jeopardizing team continuity. One could even add that’s this is a blatant cash grab for a player on the wrong side of 30, statistically declining each year

Slick
Reply to  SJ

SJ – I think Karl means for 2014. 4.7 million is not cheap, but is not top dollar either. of course value fluctuates throughout deals. the most important part of what Karl mentioned is dont begrudge a player for trying to “get his” as long as it doesn’t interfere. it’s still early, so we shall see. if he is messing around during camp, then we should start caring. teams always win with money stuff, so i dont really have an issue with a player in NFL. if this is any other league like NBA or MLB, then u have a point. but in NFL, players usually are underpaid and lack leverage.

SJ
Reply to  Slick

Thanks for the reply.

I would argue that no one in the NFL is under paid they just manage their finances improperly. Whether or not anyone wants to take concern over NFL salaries, they’re still a major factor in driving costs over ticket prices and public consumption. Driving a blind eye away from it may be the appropriate approach for most fans, but Davis’ case and impact is not in a vacuum and eventually effects the macro scale. And personally, honestly I could care less about a millionaire wanting another couple millions which I doubt he would use for the greater good and not improving his brand. As an fan alone, there is no positive beyond the individual, so of course I’ll be against it.

Slick
Reply to  SJ

SJ,

I respect your thoughts and you always add a lot to the message on DLF (including now). I will only add this – what do you think of owners role in all of this? Another words, are u mad at owners who cut players who have given their heart and soul to a team, etc? how about a guy gets injured or slows down a bit, do you think owners should be able to just do whatever they want cause they are the owners? and players should just shut and play? I dont. at least not anymore. I have seen too many situations where owners and mgmt turn a blind eye or turn the page cause they can, despite how well a player plays. To me the current trend of teams going younger at all costs – with RBs, etc. proves it. Same for rookies. owners win, players lose, i dont care how u slice it. this only applies to big picture. on a case by case basis, there are always players who get paid and make out like bandits, but they pale in comparison to the billionaire owners. of course players put fans in seats, which is why they are subject to the venom for any and every thing. i actually think V. Davis is a good dude and am ok with him building his brand. at least he will have something to fall back on after if he manages his money and life well. he is pretty intelligent dude, actually and came up in some pretty tough circumstances.

back to ff…its all about roman and kaepernick. if they unleash colin to throw like a normal grown up QB, he could still be lethal for a few more years, like Tony G was. but that’s a 50/50 proposition at best.

SJ
Reply to  Slick

To answer your questions, no none of that bothers me at all. That is the NFL structure and what was agreed upon when the NFLPA signed the CBA. I can’t, nor would I want to go line by line of every item in the CBA and announce, “Yes, I agree” or ” No I disagree” with how the NFL is structured for current players. I have no bleeding heart for players in Davis situation who are already being paid the premium at his position, wanting more. If every player tried to hold out like he is, it would obviously detrimental to the fans primarily.

The bigger tragedy lies very well within this very own article and the handling of former players where money should be pushed to them after having life changing, career ending injuries (Franklin), and how they’re not even awarded a pension or healthcare without tenure. That is far more of a concern and dwells little impact on the NFL product to the fans

SJ
Reply to  Slick

Not that this matters but I grew up in the same neighborhood near DC and knew all about Davis and his beastly brothers in HS. He was “Duke” Davis and was absolutely a beast. I had a tragic upbringing too, and am all for the underdog and and “making it out” as I did. However, you still have to respect authority and the company you sign for your career, and follow protocol. If Davis has a beef with ownerships role, it’s simple: become ownership and make changes. Otherwise do as you’re contractually obligated to and be a professional and a role model to your peers. I feel he’s making a bad impression and following needless greed.

Slick
Reply to  Slick

SJ,

Good points and appreciate you sharing.

now, we will have to wait and see if this is much ado about nothing or where there is smoke there is fire. if he starts this mess in camp i wont like it one bit.

I currently own V. Davis and drafted him back in 2006 but have traded him and traded for him. I have owned him during the years when when he had the double digit TD seasons and sold high after. I am on the fence about this year because i am in “win now” mode. I also own Jordan Reed and Ladarius Green.

of course, like u, i want him to shut and play:)

SJ
Reply to  Slick

TY. Appreciate your input as well.

Please keep commenting and driving good discussions as you do. It’s, of course, very appreciated and a reason I like this site’s feedback on articles

Slick
Reply to  Slick

thanks SJ.

check out this article (if you have not already)
timely to our discussion..

SJ
Reply to  Slick

Thanks..
yea read that a few days ago

SJ
Reply to  Slick

Oh this is different.. Thanks

Read the MMQB one a few days ago

Ethan

I think if I could get .85-.90 cents on the dollar for Lynch, I’d take it. You lose a season of RB1 production, but I doubt he’s valued any higher than an RB2 next year. There are just too many signs of decline in value – age, total carries, Christine Michael.

Luke

Would you trade Kendall Wright for Robert Woods and a 2015 1st?

Joe
Reply to  Luke

DuJuan Harris

In PPR leagues DuJuan Harris probably has some value now. He’s on the WW in every league I’m in.

Do you think DeAndre Hopkins value increases or decreases if A. Johnson leaves Houston? Obviously he will see more targets but will he also see more double teams or will they just stack the box against Foster and take their chances with Hopkins 1 on 1?