Developing Assets: Looking Ahead

With the college football regular season all but over and only one game remaining, today we’ll take yet another look at how some of the top college players are currently valued in devy and dynasty leagues. With many owners looking towards the off-season and rookie draft orders now largely decided, I will focus heavily on what potential 2014 rookie draft might look like, along with 2014 developmental drafts.

As always, the year noted is the earliest year the player will be draft eligible, unless the player has already made a decision regarding their eligibility.

1. Jameis Winston, FSU (2015)
  2. Teddy Bridgewater, UL (2014)
  3. Marcus Mariota, OREG (2015)
  4. Derek Carr, FRES (2014)
  5. Brett Hundley, UCLA (2014)

Among the quarterbacks, Florida State’s Jameis Winston finds his way back to the top of the heap following his continued strong play which will likely lead to a Heisman Trophy later today. Also, the resolution of the sexual assault charges levied against Winston helps clarify his value among dynasty owners. Fresno State senior quarterback Derek Carr also makes an appearance in the top five with rumors that he could be one of the top five draft picks in the spring draft.

Running Back:

1. Todd Gurley, UGA (2015)
  2. Melvin Gordon, WISC (2014)
  3. TJ Yeldon, ALA (2015)
  4. Alex Collins, ARK (2016)
  5. Thomas Tyner, OREG (2016)
  6. Kenyan Drake, ALA (2015)
  7. Mike Davis, S CAR (2015)
  8. Lache Seastrunk, BAY (2014)
  9. Carlos Hyde, OSU (2014)
  10. Jeremy Hill, LSU (2014)
  11. Ka’Deem Carey, ARZ (2014)
  12. Jonathan Gray, TEX (2015)
  13. Bishop Sankey, WAS (2014)
  14. Matt Jones, FLA (2015)
  15. Keith Marshall, UGA (2015)
  16. Tre Mason, AUB (2014)
  17. DeAnthony Thomas, OREG (2014)
  18. Duke Johnson, MIA (2015)
  19. Devonta Freeman, FSU (2014)
  20. Jay Ajayi, BOI (2014)
  21. Barry Sanders, Jr., STAN (2015)
  22. Andre Williams, BC (2014)
  23. James Wilder, Jr., FSU (2014)
  24. Charles Sims, WVU (2014)
  25. Marion Grice, ASU (2014)

While there is little change at the top of the running back list, many backs that will likely be a part of the upcoming draft are quickly rising. Ohio State’s Carlos Hyde has been amazing this season and Auburn’s Tre Mason has finished so strongly that he’ll be in New York later today for the Heisman Trophy presentation.

Wide Receiver:

1. Sammy Watkins, CLEM (2014)
  2. Laquan Treadwell, MISS (2016)
  3. Amari Cooper, ALA (2015)
  4. Dorial Green-Beckham, MIZZ (2015)
  5. Mike Evans, TXAM (2014)
  6. Marqise Lee, USC (2014)
  7. Stefon Diggs, MARY (2015)
  8. Jordan Matthews, VAN (2014)
  9. Allen Robinson, PSU (2014)
  10. Devante Adams, FRES (2014)
  11. Nelson Algohor, USC (2015)
  12. Brandin Cooks, OREG ST (2014)
  13. Devante Parker, UL (2014)
  14. Odell Beckham, LSU (2014)
  15. Kenny Lawler, CAL (2015)
  16. Stacy Coley, MIA (2016)
  17. Ricky Seals-Jones, TXAM (2016)
  18. Donte Moncrief, MISS (2014)
  19. Kelvin Benjamin, FSU (2014)
  20. Brandon Coleman, RUT (2014)
  21. Quinshad Davis, UNC (2015)
  22. Jarvis Landry, LSU (2014)
  23. Rashad Greene, FSU (2014)
  24. Shaq Roland, S CAR (2015)
  25. Leonte Carroo, RUT (2015)

The big mover among the wide receivers is Missouri sophomore Dorial Green-Beckham, who finished the season in a strong way. Brandon Coleman of Rutgers tumbles down the list and it appears he’ll stay in school for another year.

Tight End:

1. Jace Amaro, TXTECH (2014)
  2. Eric Ebron, UNC (2014)
  3. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, WAS (2014)
  4. Devin Funchess, MICH (2015)
  5. OJ Howard, ALA (2016)

There is no change among the tight end position with both Jace Amaro and Eric Ebron looking like first round NFL draft picks, and possible first round dynasty rookie picks as well.

2014 Rookie Rankings:

15. Brandin Cooks, OREG ST
  16. Devante Parker, UL
  17. Odell Beckham, LSU
  18. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, WAS
  19. Donte Moncrief, MISS
  20. Derek Carr, FRES

At this point, the 2014 rookie draft top tier looks five players deep, though we are still awaiting decisions, specifically from Wisconsin sophomore running back Melvin Gordon. The first round, like many startup drafts, will be very wide receiver heavy with even second and third tier wideouts like Devante Adams and Brandin Cooks offering high upside.

2014 Devy Rankings:

1. Todd Gurley, RB UGA
  2. TJ Yeldon, RB ALA
  3. Amari Cooper, WR ALA
  4. Laquan Treadwell, WR MISS
  5. Jameis Winston, QB FSU
  6. Stefon Diggs, WR MARY
  7. Alex Collins, RB ARK
  8. Thomas Tyner, RB OREG
  9. Mike Davis, RB S CAR
  10. Devin Funchess, TE MICH
  11. Kenyan Drake, RB ALA
  12. Nelson Algohor, WR USC

Here’s a look at a possible devy draft that could take place in August. The majority of these players are true sophomores and will likely be a part of the 2015 NFL draft.

Follow @RyanMc23 on Twitter

Ryan McDowell

Ryan McDowell

Senior Writer at Dynasty League Football
In addition to his role as Senior Staff Writer here at DLF, Ryan is also a husband, father of three and second grade teacher. Ryan is the commissioner of multiple dynasty leagues, most notably the HyperActive Dynasty Leagues. Here at DLF, Ryan’s focus is on identifying, monitoring and analyzing player value. Check out Ryan’s work on the Weekly Impact Events and Dynasty Stock Market, as well as our dynasty ADP data.
Ryan McDowell

Latest posts by Ryan McDowell (see all)

1. Ryan McDowell

December 14, 2013 at 8:21 am

Just realized I omitted Carlos Hyde from the 2014 rookie rankings list. I now think he’s being valued as a 1st round rookie pick, so I’d slot him between 8-12.

2. Yeahhhhh boyyyy

December 14, 2013 at 8:25 am

83 catches, 1343 yards, 10 tds. Mostly all with a true freshman qb on a not very good team. What does Paul Richardson have to do to get some love around here? He may not be 6’3 but the kid has great ability, game breaking speed. Positive hands. Seems to get open and held his own against some pretty decent defenses. What’s the kid got to do?

• Ryan McDowell

December 14, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I like what I’ve seen from Richardson, though I admit I haven’t watched him as much as some others. He’s part of a very deep WR class this year and I could see him ending up in the 2nd round (of both NFL draft and dynasty rookie drafts).

3. VinegarBend

December 14, 2013 at 8:34 am

Have the 1.04 and 1.12 and am stacked at WR. Was planning on going RB-RB with both picks but doubt Gordon makes it to me. Maybe Seastrunk and Hyde?

• Ariakis

December 14, 2013 at 10:50 am

I have 1.04 and a late 1st myself curious to see who falls. I prefer RB but this year the value appears to be WR.

• Ryan McDowell

December 14, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I think those top 5 are so close, it will be interesting to see who separates themselves from the rest over the next few months. As of now, I’d expect Evans and Lache to be the end of the top tier, so I’d take Lache at 4. At 12, you should have some very good options. At RB, you are looking at possibilities like Hyde, Hill, Carey and Sankey. At this point, I like Hyde best of that group.

4. Mike

December 14, 2013 at 8:56 am

Is DGB omitted from the devy draft? Or missed the cut?

• Ryan McDowell

December 14, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Nope, sadly I just forgot him. Just as he was a big riser on the overall WR list, I would have him moving well up the devy list too, probably somewhere around 1.05.

Thanks for the reminder!

5. Jeff

December 14, 2013 at 8:58 am

I have the 1.01 in my league and have a stock of young WR I’m hoping will break out in the next year or two. Those are Woods, Rogers, Hunter, Marvin Jones. What I REALLY need is a stud RB1. But Watkins may be too good to pass up. Depending on landing spot though, do Hyde/Gordon/Seastrunk have potential to be worth a 1.01 pick?

• Corey

December 14, 2013 at 9:21 am

I always draft for ability over situation/need. Look back at the AJ Green Julio Jones draft, where everyone knew those two were going to be better but everyone drafted Mark Ingram 1.01 because of the need at RB. Assuming nothing changes at the combine, I think you should take Watkins or trade your pick for a RB with upside

• Steve R

December 14, 2013 at 10:30 am

Agree with Corey. Typically best to draft talent or trade pick for need/ might be able to trade down as well….

• Glen

December 14, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Is Watkins as good as Jones or Green? I have the 1.02 and the team ahead of me is drafting Bridgewater or RB. I need WR1 talent as I have some young guys (T Smith, Randle, Dobson, Broyles and Brazill) that are just not there yet and may never get to WR1 level. They are young and play on good teams with good QB situations. But none of them are difference makers.

• Ryan McDowell

December 14, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I like that group. Randle and Dobson will both be on my buys list this off-season.

As for Watkins, I’d be glad to get him at 2, though I’m not sure he’ll be as good as Jones/Green. I do see him being valued very highly, very quickly. Expect many to rank him as a top 10 WR from day 1.

• Ryan McDowell

December 14, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I agree with Corey as well. Despite their talent, you can’t count on rookies to produce right away and because of that drafting for need should be avoided. I’d take the most talented player, which I think is Watkins. I do think Gordon is very close though, so if drafted into an ideal spot, I could see him going 1.01 in many drafts.

6. markimus prime

December 14, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Gosh this is a stacked WR year…from what I’ve seen from Kelvin Benjamin he is a man among boys out there. Big sleeper in my opinion we’ll see what team he goes to!

• Ryan McDowell

December 14, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Benjamin is impressive and he seems to be gaining some steam in draft circles. The WR class is so deep. Some great options will be found even in the 3rd rounds of rookie drafts.

7. Robbie

December 15, 2013 at 6:10 am

I have the top three picks in 2014 and probably 1.06 as well based on the final standings. I’ve got some good young talent at WR (Hilton, Hunter, Jeffrey, Terrance Williams) and some vets in Amendola, and Stevie Johnson. I’m pretty thin at RB as I traded away Foster for my 1st rounders. What would you do if you were me:

– Pick Watkins, Lee, and Evans and hope Gordon or Seastrunk fall to me at 1.06?
    – Pick Watkins, Evans, and Gordon and settle for Matthews, Robinson or Adams?

• Ryan McDowell

December 16, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I think I’d go with your favorite 2 WRs and Gordon. At 6, you’ll still get a very good prospect like one of the WRs you mention.

• Btubbs

December 17, 2013 at 10:31 pm

awesome- that’s where my head was going. but between watkins, lee and evans, which two would you take?

8. DJB

December 16, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I’m most interested in how fast Hyde runs the 40 yarder. If he runs slow he’s going to drop like a rock. But at his massive size, if he runs a solid 40 yarder he is going to skyrocket.

Thanks again for this article!

9. RS

December 17, 2013 at 4:53 am

I’ve seen a number of big boards lately that have Evans as the first WR taken. Do you think in Fantasy terms that means he should be the first WR drafted? Or will he really be the 1.01 next year? I have to think Watkins speed makes him more enticing in the fantasy world.

• DJB

December 17, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Personally I think Watkins is the better talent and more often than not talent wins over situation. Let’s say the Bills take Evans, and a few picks later Watkins goes to one of Pittsburgh or even falls to the Ravens. To me the better talent is also going to the better situation which to me is a no brainer when it comes to setting my draft chart.

But to be honest, until the combine is over as well as the actual NFL draft, I think it’s too early to make call like that, all you can do right now is base your rankings off talent alone with no other considerations involved at this point (i.e draft position, or situation etc).

• WD69

January 11, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Watkins is the #1 WR and it’s not even close!

10. lahwee

December 17, 2013 at 9:23 pm

First post .. just bought a membership. An article for players to watch in the upcoming college football bowl games to watch would be great, players who are entering the draft … Thanks

11. btfndguy

December 20, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Melvin Gordon says he is returning to Wisconsin for 2014. Too bad. I was considering him as the #1 pick in our draft.

12. BigD

December 21, 2013 at 7:32 am

wheres blake bortles info at. I’ve seen some mock drafts as of late, that have him going #4 overall to the raiders????? what are your thoughts on him. what I’ve read is great size and arm strength, good pocket presence, and nfl ready????

13. WD69

January 11, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Current lineup is MCoy at RB. My receivers are: Decker, Floyd and Wright. Backup RB is Lamar Miller. Positions are 1 RB, 2 WR, then flex Rb or Wr. Should I feel like I have to draft a running back? I have picks 1, 9, 15/16. I feel like I should draft Watkins #1 then best available RB at 9? Then what should I do at pick 15/16?

14. WD69

January 11, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I would love to join a Dynasty league, anyone have any open slots?