Dynasty Analysis: Tim Tebow signs with New England

Last year there were rumors swirling about Tim Tebow’s possible landing spot.  Before ultimately signing with the Jets, the Patriots were once on the list of potential suitors.  A friend even sent me a photo-shopped picture of Tebow in a Pats jersey.

• Disclaimer #1:  I am a die-hard Patriots fan.
  • Disclaimer #2:  Almost to the same extent, I am not a Tim Tebow fan.

Last year, I knew there was no legitimacy to the claim, but I still felt uneasiness just having laid eyes on the image.   When the news broke a few days ago that Tebow officially signed with the Patriots, I was forced to confront this image all over again. However, when I saw the image this time, my heart surprisingly didn’t wrench from within.  I realized this roster addition had deeper implications and a different underlying purpose.  Let’s take just a few moments to quickly analyze the issues surrounding Tim Tebow’s arrival. We’ll also cover what he could bring to the Patriots and, more importantly, to dynasty rosters.

Tebow’s Role in New England

I am surprised about the sheer number of headlines I’ve seen focusing on Tebow playing quarterback for New England.  He has been very outspoken in refusing to change positions, but quarterback is the least needy aspect of the Patriots’ squad, and there is very little he could do to contribute in this area.  Anyone who thinks head coach Bill Belichick will take Tom Brady out for anything other than kneeling in the fourth quarter is sorely mistaken.  Rather, I believe New England has something different, and truly unique to offer Tebow. After all, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was in Denver when he drafted Tebow in 2010 before being fired at the conclusion of the season.  He must still see some potential in Tebow, or perhaps he feels some responsibility for the player he selected and was then forced to leave behind.

Tebow may have been adamant about playing quarterback, but it’s no secret Belichick likes versatile players.  Right now, the Patriots find themselves in a vulnerable position with star tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez recovering from injuries, and their status for the beginning of the season remains uncertain.  Meanwhile, Belichick views Tebow as a hardworking player who could be used in a variety of offensive positions.  There are plenty critiques on Tebow’s mechanics, but everyone will attest he is a competitor.  Belichick respects that and can utilize his versatility.

Signing with the New England Patriots presents a unique situation combining these conflicting interests.  I view this almost as a redshirt year from a quarterback perspective.  McDaniels will have the chance to further develop the player he traded up to draft in the first round of the 2010 NFL draft, and in exchange for McDaniels’ tutoring sessions, Tebow can contribute in a variety of roles in a Belichick offense. Normally, Tebow might not accept this role, but he is being given an opportunity to work on his craft at a time when there is currently a deflated market for his services. In Tebow’s eyes, perhaps he can come out on the other end of this experience as a more refined player with a chance for a revival – or at the very least attempt to portray this image.

Will the Media Circus Follow?

Although Tebow carries a loyal fan base, the media brigade that follows is a legitimate concern for teams considering signing him.  While this is unavoidable to some extent, Belichick is well known for his ability to control the media and is much respected for it.  This could well benefit Tebow’s image, and shouldn’t have any negative effect on the Patriots’ organization.

Roster Spot

There is no lock for Tebow to make the final roster.  Belichick has been known to take a chance on veterans, though he also has shown no hesitation to cut the cord when things aren’t working out.  Though I am not a Tebow believer, I can’t help but think Belichick will find ways for him to contribute and ultimately reserve a roster spot for him.

Fantasy Expectations

From a team perspective, I think this situation has a lot of interesting variables that make sense.  However, I think this signing has little-to-no fantasy impact, even in dynasty leagues.  Tebow could play an important role for the Patriots as a fill-in tight end, full back and even on special teams, but I just can’t fathom a scenario where he can contribute to your fantasy team in any consistent, or meaningful manner. Taking a step back as a developmental quarterback shouldn’t provide much hope, either.  In truth, I think the jury is already out on Tebow, and I think the league as a whole voted unanimously he doesn’t fit the bill as an NFL quarterback. Tebow’s only chance to develop a significant role on a team (in reality or fantasy is to use this opportunity to transition to another position, prove he can function as a weapon and then later sign to a needy team where he can make an impact. The chances of that seem pretty slim.

What are some of your thoughts on his usage and subsequent fantasy impact?

Follow me on twitter @ChrisR124.

1. The Hamburglar

June 12, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Wake me when he agrees to play full time H-Back/TE.

2. Oddknob

June 12, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I wish more coverage was given to signings of third string QBs/some other position/guys that ESPN can’t get enough of for no reason that relates to his ability to play that particular sport. Mind you, this is not me bashing you, Ken, for writing this article (which I thought was a perfect breakdown of the likely path this will shape out to be for him in New England), but more a vent on “Tebowmania” in general. Keep up the good work fellas!!!

3. notorioustot

June 13, 2013 at 5:34 am

“Dynasty Analysis”???? Of Tebow???? Here ya go: “Not applicable.”

C’mon guys, you’re better than that!!!! Leave the Tebow coverage to ESPN please.

4. SJ

June 13, 2013 at 5:51 am

When Tebow was given the choice between Jacksonville and the Jets as his trade partner, he should have chosen the Jags. He could have likely been going into the year as their starting QB, in his hometown no less. I dont know wtf he was thinking. Dumbest decision of his life

• Eric

June 13, 2013 at 6:43 am

Past is past, but I thought Tebow had agreed to the Jacksonville deal and then Elway backed out because the Jets gave a better offer.

I am probably wrong, but that’s how I remember it.

• SJ

June 13, 2013 at 8:04 am

Multiple reports, most notably Adam Shefter, reported that the offers were nearly identical and that they left it up to Tebow to decide.

I was a Tebow fan, so i followed it closely when it happened, and was hoping hed go to Jax know the lucrative opportunity. Just opportunity lost now.

5. smcguiga

June 13, 2013 at 6:13 am

useless article he is not relevant in fantasy or reality…kraft said he signed him for his spirituality……what a joke wish the guy would just go away he sucks plain and simple can’t throw at all and thinks he is a QB pathetic….save your energy for real fantasy articles please this was a waste of space and should be deleted from this great site…..GROSS

6. Brandon

June 13, 2013 at 7:28 am

Say what you want, but he has a win (as a QB) in the playoffs against the #1 ranked defense. The same team (actually better) Quarterbacked by Peyton Manning lost to a worst team.

• SJ

June 13, 2013 at 8:07 am

There will always be Tebow haters, so is life. Im fan because of the grittiness and team first element he brings to the table. He a gamer and no one can debate that. When you just look at that, and how he leads on the field, its a refreshing change from the norm. Of course others will disagree.

• smcguiga

June 13, 2013 at 8:30 am

bottom line though is he is not relevant no point in talking about him at all actually he will not be Tom Brady’s BU and will not take over when Brady retires….he will maybe get a few plays here and there in read option to shake things up….He is completely non relevant…you think anyone is rostering Tebow??????PLEASE the fact he gets so much media attention has Zero to do with his football skills….he will be preaching brimestone and fire from a puppet in the Fla panhandle before long…I am sure he will be great that but as far as a QB…….not so much

• SJ

June 13, 2013 at 12:55 pm

See… just like i said

• smcguiga

June 13, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Pick him up and good luck with that

He blows end of story we should write a article about that and be done with this fool

7. justinkilmer

June 13, 2013 at 11:08 am

Biggest mistake for Tebow was no sleeping with all those chicks in college

8. Cody

June 13, 2013 at 11:16 am

An article on tebow before bradshaw? Really? :/

• Jacob Feldman

June 13, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Bradshaw is in the process of being posted as we speak. Should be up soon.

• Ken Kelly

June 13, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Your wish has been granted!

• Cody

June 13, 2013 at 11:52 pm

So sweet.. I landed him on my Dfwc squad – feeling pretty stacked now!

9. Scott Peak

June 13, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I think the article is relevant and necessary given the amount of media coverage given to Tebow. I do agree the extent of coverage given to Tebow is insane, and I wish some sanity would be restored. Still, I’m sure there will be questions raised about Tebow’s value in dynasty for some, and I think it is reasonable to discuss it. I’m by no means a fan of Tebow. Still, we should recognize that is Tebow can ever rehab his dynasty value, it is with the Patriots. I for one am not so quick to hit the eject button on Tebow now that he is with the Patriots. We are talking about an excellent organization that has a reputation for turning cast-offs into productive assets in real and fake football. Belichick somehow found a way to make Danny Woodhead relevant. Tebow will have to accept that his role in the NFL is a jack-of-all trades type. I might be nuts, but if Tebow fulfills that role as an RB/WR/TE, he could put up surprising numbers. Let’s face it, Tebow’s value is non-existent in most leagues, so you can pluck him off the waiver wire or draft him with your last pick in a start-up draft. Why not take a shot on him? There are owners talking up James Casey. Maybe Tebow can follow a similar path. Maybe not. If I have a roster spot, I’d consider adding him, but not at the expense of a better asset.

• Sean C.

June 13, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Why?? Tebow is loved and hated as a person. If I wanna know thoughts on Tebow’s future I’d tune to NFL Network or ESPN…wait, everyone and mother has tried to say what what he can or can’t do already. I almost totally agree with the article, but didn’t need to read it.
      Why does this junk get posted? Simple. I could care less about Tebow’s fantasy future. Yet, I still read every word of this well written, unneeded article.

Tebow just sucks you in

10. JBlake

June 14, 2013 at 5:05 am

I have a Broncos fan in my league who honestly believes that Denver had a better chance of winning it all with Tebow than with Peyton. Those believers are out there, so this article IS necessary to tell them to not get too excited. His dynasty value went from zero to some very very small number greater than zero. Personally, I appreciate the balanced analysis from a Pats fan/Tebow hater.

11. BrianW

June 14, 2013 at 9:17 am

I think it’s a good choice of topics for an article. #1, Although most readers here are pretty well informed, there are others who need clarification of this confusing, over-hyped, media circus. #2, Forget wins/losses, playoffs and arm strength ect….. Tebow put up some decent FANTASY points when he did play. That’s what this is all about.

While I don’t advocate rostering him, I don’t think it should be criticized considering the ultra long-shot, pet project players some people keep on the end of their benches. At least Tebow has put up a fantasy point before. Problem is, it will now be a couple of years before we see him again, if ever. Hopefully the immature media will quiet down and let all the scaredy-cat GM’s out there give him another chance to compete for a job somewhere in a couple years.