Why Dynasty? Why DLF?

When DLF was created back in 2006, we did so because we all knew that the dynasty format was going to be huge.  We also knew that without any other site focusing on the format, there was a blank canvas to be painted.

But why dynasty?

We assume most everyone understands the concept of the dynasty format – once a player is initially drafted/added to an existing team, they are that coach’s player for as long as desired, be it a day, a season or multiple seasons.  This ability to draft and build a team over multiple years simulates the Owner, General Manager and  Coach roles to heighten the fantasy experience.  For thosewho have found their way to the dynasty format, few would argue that there’s no going back to redraft.

That’s not to say that the redraft fantasy format doesn’t have it’s place.  But ask those that have migrated from redraft to dynasty and most all will tell you the same thing – in the redraft format, the yearly luck factor involved is extremely high.  A single injury or year of poor play from a high draft choice will likely end your year.  Or, on the other side of the coin, a player who comes from nowhere, perhaps even being undrafted, can be the linchpin to a championship season.  Redraft has its place, but there’s far more luck than most prefer.  The same luck applies in-season for dynasty as well, but strategy and long term execution ultimately bring results in time.

If you love football enough to play the fantasy variety of the game, take our word for it, once you try dynasty you’ll wonder why you hadn’t switched earlier.  And like the redraft format, there are numerous options for greater challenge – deeper rosters, greater complexity and even contract leagues for even greater immersion.  Who of us as football fans haven’t dreamed of being the GM or Owner of an NFL franchise?  In dynasty, you get to do just that.  Want to build young and for the future in hopes of fielding a behemoth in five years?  Do it.  Want to win the ring immediately by using established veterans at the expense of youth?  Do it.  Or, do you simply want to build a balanced team in hopes of capturing the best of both worlds?  It’s your choice as you’re in complete control.

Is dynasty complex to learn?

I’ve fielded numerous questions about the learning curve of the dynasty format and “how long will it take to learn the ropes?”  While there are many differing strategies for drafting and building your team, the learning curve is not significantly different than that of redraft.  Depending on your league complexity, there may be other variables to consider, but the essentials for participation don’t change dramatically.  Veteran or rookie, you’ll be up to speed quickly and formulating your own strategy before you know it.  If a strategy isn’t paying dividends, change it.  There’s not a single recipe for success.

Tired of gambling and seeing your season end on the knee of your top running back?  In dynasty, you generally have deeper rosters and more opportunity to develop adequate depth.  You also have more trade avenues to explore as coaches are constantly positioning for not only the short term, but also for the longer term.  And while major injuries may still be just as impactful to your current season, there’s always your historical legacy to manage.

Do you consider yourself a super-fan?  Then you have to play dynasty, it’s that simple.  That leads to the most rewarding aspect to the dynasty format – season length.  There is NO off-season!  What can be better than 12 months of football?  That’s exactly what you have in a dynasty league.  There’s always angles to be played, seasons to manage, trades to discuss, young players to be researched, NFL Combines to watch, rookie drafts to analyze. Even the NFL preseason finally has meaning.  Think of it this way – instead of your favorite past-time consisting of four months of in-season fun, your game now lasts for an entire year before it all starts again.

That’s where DLF enters the equation.

When we started DLF, we had a dream of not just providing a place for dynasty players to gather, participate and discuss our favorite format.  We set out to create the largest and most respected fantasy site consisting of the biggest, most knowledgeable and passionate fantasy community on the planet, all working together to increase knowledge, discuss strategies and share opinions.  We’re working hard every day to bring that dream to reality.  Whether you are a premium subscriber or simply here for the free content and community interaction, we’ve got your back.

We seek out the best writers we can find.  Our writers aren’t only accomplished coaches themselves within their own leagues – they’re the very definition of passion in that while they live and breathe the format, they’re also motivated to share their knowledge and research with all of you.  DLF has a strict recipe for content presented with professionalism and impact and every one of our writers supports the goal.

We want you to be a part of our community.  Our premium subscription service is extremely low in price such that we feel every player can participate to take their game to the next level.  For less than $1.70/mo. you can be part of what we’re trying to build while giving yourself another valuable resource toward increasing your own performance.  Consider this – we’ve posted 317 premium content articles since April 21st. At the rate we’ve been producing premium content, you could get around 83 articles for the price of a $5 latte. We also haven’t strayed away from producing an enormous amount of free content – we posted a grand total of 712 articles and 23 Podcasts last year when you include all our free content. And either way, at DLF, you have access to thousands of other fantasy players from around the world within our community to interact with.  We’re confident you’ll find no greater valuation proposition exists anywhere in fantasy.  We remain committed to that proposition and that goal.

Dynasty fantasy football is the greatest format in fantasy gaming.  We feel DLF is the greatest site and community on the planet for strategy and discussion.  You have both right here – 365 days of football discussion, community interaction and content toward making you a better dynasty coach.  It doesn’t get much better than that.

If you’re an existing subscriber, one who reads only the free content or simply a forum member, we invite to share your testimonial for this past year as a comment to this article.  Let others know why they should be playing the dynasty format.  Let others know, as we hope is the case, if DLF has been an invaluable resource in your leagues.   Let others know about the community here.  You’re the biggest part of what we’re doing here, subscriber or not. We’re committed to doing our best to maximize everyone’s experience one way or another.

To everyone, we hope you’ll join the thousands of other users here for what promises to be a great 2013 season!

Jeff Haverlack

Jeff Haverlack

Senior Partner / COO at Dynasty League Football
Husband and father who devotes far too much time to Fantasy Football, research, statistics and content development.We created DLF to ultimately assemble the largest fantasy football community on the planet and want YOU to be a part of it.

You can find Jeff on Twitter at @dlf_jeff
Jeff Haverlack

Latest posts by Jeff Haverlack (see all)

1. Wesley Wood

January 15, 2013 at 4:53 am

Have you guys thought about combining with Dynasty Football Warehouse? They are the only other legit dynasty site that I know of.

• Ken Kelly

January 15, 2013 at 7:09 am

Boy, that’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time.

No, that’s not something we’d ever consider. We cater to two very different audiences and there really wouldn’t be any value in it for us. At this point, we feel 100% confident in the team we have and the value we’ve provided since we started in 2006. We’ve worked very hard to create a family atmosphere within our team and the community here and would never do anything that could possibly sacrifice it.

Put it this way, we’re confident enough in our site and our collective ability to not only keep a comment about another dynasty related site in the thread, but also to invite everyone to check out that site and any other one out there. It’s important to get all the information you can out there, then decide what you want to bookmark.

• Sensei John Kreese

January 15, 2013 at 12:11 pm

There is no better fantasy football site than DLF. It’s not really even debatable in my opinion.

The writing here is exceptional. The depth of knowledge is unparalleled. Writers like Ken Kelly, Tim Stafford, Ryan McDowell, FFghost, (and even you Ken H) bring information that you get no where else, often from perspectives and angles that an inferior writer, (Brad Evans) would be too stupid to conceive.

Really the only other site that I frequent is DraftCalc.com. Smitty really puts himself out there, makes bold predictions and sticks by them.

• Ken Kelly

January 15, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Thanks for comment Sensei – that means a lot coming from you. I agree about DraftCalc as well, Smitty is a friend of DLF’s and does a nice job.

2. Zach Levitt

January 15, 2013 at 6:13 am

In my second year of my first dynasty league, last year I came in last place in my league. This past offseason, I subscribed to DLF and have turned around my team and am playing for the title this weekend.

• Jeff Haverlack

January 15, 2013 at 9:34 am

Awesome Zach! Love to hear it! Thanks for supporting us and good luck this weekend!

• Jeff Haverlack

January 15, 2013 at 9:35 am

A shout out to the DLF community as well on this. I visit a LOT of forums and there is not one, regardless of format, that comes close to the quality and knowledge that you all possess.

3. Dave Lamson

January 15, 2013 at 9:26 am

Dynasty is the way I started playing fantasy football. It is wonderful because it’s a year round obsession. I’ve been in a 16 team league now for 12 years and now run one myself and play 2 other leagues all with different formats. It’s the only way to play.

• Jeff Haverlack

January 15, 2013 at 9:36 am

I may be a little biased here Dave … but I tend to agree. After playing dynasty, there’s no way you can even consider going back unless you are just in a gambling mindset at the time and want something easy.

4. Christopher

January 15, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Its a tough comparison as DFW is a newer site with less members to work with. You’ll find more articles posted at DLF, but DFW still has some good quality to it, and certainly not some of the drama queens we’ve seen frequent the DLF boards from time to time.

• Jeff Haverlack

January 15, 2013 at 5:26 pm

All boards have their DQs as they grow in size. It’s an unfortunate fact of online life.

I won’t disparage ay other site that is trying to get up and going. It’s a VERY tough proposition. Even tougher to keep it going. And unfortunately, with the lay of the online land you need a lot of members and interaction to sustain the sheer amount of work necessary to keep the lights on. And as a fantasy player and coach my self, the sites I want to patronize or visit are going to be those that have the biggest community and the greatest value proposition.

There’s room for a lot of players in the market. But I can personally guarantee that there’s not site more dedicated to the value proposition, impact and professionalism than DLF … and I involve the community as well. We’re nothing without the best coaches and players on the planet. We’re extremely selective about our writers and content and that’s why we’re confident in saying that we haven’t found another dynasty site that serves our market like we do. DFW serves a different audience as Ken Kelly said above.

And we’ve only just begun. We won’t rest until every serious dynasty coach/player on the planet calls DLF home and is active in our community.

• Mark Rockwell

January 15, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Nicely said Jeff! I think I speak for anyone and everyone considered part of the staff when I say that we’re all dedicated to making DLF the best, most professional and informative, value based dynasty site on the web!

5. Jon Lambrecht

January 15, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I tip my cap to DLF and the staff of writers. Great content, creative, informative, and well written articles. I’m addicted to the site and frequent it too often. Just ask my wife… lol.

Love the premium articles and content as well as the forums. Sometimes the forums get a bit spicy but in my opinion that adds to the level of intregue of our pastime. I realize opinions on many topics vary greatly at times and also see how that adds to the fun of it all. There is something to learn from even those that you may not see eye to eye with. Sometimes we must agree to dissagree.

Been involved with fantasy football for around 20 years but My understanding of the dynasty format has improved greatly over the past year and a half or so that I’ve been reading. Just wish I’d know then what I know now. I thank you for that as I’ve yet to see a site that comes close. Great work – keep it up!

• Jeff Haverlack

January 15, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Thanks Jon very much for the comments.

Maybe your wife and our wives can get together and have a good cry. In all seriousness, I think our wives should get together and create a “Dynasty Fantasy Widows” forum.

• Doug Veatch

January 15, 2013 at 9:32 pm

You wouldn’t hear my wife complaining about that support group, lol.

• Jon Lambrecht

January 16, 2013 at 5:49 pm

You know what’s funny? I have had probably more than my fair share of success in fantasy. DLF has certainly helped the cause since I’ve been around. Over the past 5-6 years – Sometimes winning league championships and having extended success in the playoffs even though I haven’t always had “the” best team. Luck does come into play a bit in the playoffs btw. I never have kept track (as it isn’t the reason I like to play) but I’m pretty positive I’m ahead on the money side of things. She never ever says anything when I give her checks made out to me from my winnings… hmmm? Strange / kind of a double edged sword. lol.

6. Jim

January 16, 2013 at 11:22 am

DLF is a great site which I come to daily (even the offseason) for the great writing and the forums. I’ve been in a dynasty league since 1996 and it’s the best format period. Once you go dynasty, everything else will pale in comparison.

7. Jerrod O. Pratt

January 18, 2013 at 6:44 am

Dynasty ownership is nothing to fool around with. These owners are hungry, attentive, ear-to-the-ground type people. They nurture and assemble some of the greatest teams one could ever imagine..on paper that is. Some leagues are open year round and sometimes trades are made in March, April and May (very non-football months for casual gamers) using multiple draft picks to seal a deal. This is great for those who can keep up but for others it means dynasty league doom and gloom. Most casual players don’t feel the need to follow any sort of NFL or NCAA headlines until August. This is a huge no-no for Dynasty leagues. You need to learn to swim if you’re gonna hang with the big boys. Don’t think just because you won your ESPN Redraft league with 6 buddies from work for the last 3 years that you’re ready for the upgrade to dynasty either. There are hell of a lot more fantasy football addicts out there than your office can even shake a stick at, and there good too. Fantasy football is a multi-million dollar industry and is growing every year. It gives you a chance to prove your mettle against friends, strangers, co-workers and even family members. But If you think fantasy games are won on Sunday…YOU’RE CRAZY!!! There are some formats where guys like Andre Johnson, Patrick Willis and Chris Johnson aren’t even the best option to start at their position. You wouldn’t have known that had you never been pushed out of the fantasy womb and into a dynasty league. Yes, you will collect you’re W or L on either Sunday or Monday nights but most games are done by the time you set, or for some lowly gamers, NOT set your lineup.

• Jeff Haverlack

January 19, 2013 at 6:56 am

Love the fire and the passion Jerrod, nicely said!