The Dynasty Aftermath: Week Fourteen

Welcome to DLF’s Dynasty Aftermath. This Tuesday staple has long been one of our signature pieces as we have a little fun after a tough week at the Dynasty League Football office. You’ll find this article will review the week’s happenings in a variety of ways and help set you up for the coming weeks as we spin around the league in the way we know best. After twelve weeks, the contenders are starting to further set themselves apart from the pretenders in both reality and fantasy.

Let’s take our weekly spin around the league!

Week Fourteen Fantasy MVP

How about the strange season we’ve seen from Cam Newton? For those owners who bought low a month or so ago, they’ve been rewarded greatly as Newton has accounted for 11 touchdowns and no turnovers over the past month. His week fourteen performance was fantastic as he threw for 287 yards, ran for another 116 and had three total touchdowns. There are still maturity and leadership issues with Newton, but he’s starting to put up numbers like he did last season, so the critics will be silenced, at least for now.

Week Thirteen Fantasy LVP

Over the past two weeks, Bryce Brown tore up the league to the tune of 347 rushing yards and four touchdowns. As a result, many owners were leaning on Brown this week as a key member of their lineup during the opening round of the playoffs. Unfortunately, the pin hit the balloon this week as Brown rushed for just six yards on 12 carries and added just six receiving yards on two catches. That performance likely knocked out some teams from contention and just goes to show nobody can stay that hot for that long. Well, unless you’re Adrian Peterson, I guess.

Lineup Fun The virtually unbeatable lineup of the week…

QB Cam Newton CAR  = 287 passing yards, 116 rushing yards, three total touchdowns
RB David Wilson NYG  = 100 rushing yards, two touchdown, one kickoff return touchdown, 327 all-purpose yards
RB Adrian Peterson MIN  =154 rushing yards, two touchdowns
RB Marshawn Lynch SEA  = 128 rushing yards, three touchdowns
WR Brandon Marshall CHI  = 10 receptions, 160 yards, one touchdown
WR Mike Wallace PIT  = Seven receptions, 112 yards, two touchdowns
WR Danario Alexander SD  = Seven receptions, 88 yards, two touchdowns
TE Aaron Hernandez NE  = Eight receptions, 58 yards, two touchdowns

The dominant underdog lineup of the week…

QB Nick Foles PHI = 381 passing yards, 27 rushing yards, three total touchdowns
RB DeAngelo Williams CAR   =  56 rushing yards, 56 receiving yards, two catches, one touchdown
RB Montell Owens JAX  = 91 rushing yards, 11 receiving yards, one touchdown
RB Robert Turbin SEA  = 108 rushing yards
WR Brandon Lloyd NE  = Seven receptions, 89 receiving yards, one touchdown, one fumble recovered for a touchdown
WR Jason Avant PHI  = Seven receptions, 133 receiving yards
WR Michael Spurlock SD  = Seven receptions, 64 receiving yards
TE Clay Harbor PHI  = Six receptions, 52 receiving yards, one touchdown

The unexpectedly horrible lineup of the week…

QB Russell Wilson SEA  148 passing yards, one touchdown, one interception in a 58-0 win
RB Chris Wells ARI  = Six carries, 18 rushing yards
RB Bryce Brown PHI  = 12 carries, six rushing yards, two catches, six receiving yards
RB CJ Spiller BUF  = 37 rushing yards, one catch, 15 receiving yards
WR Larry Fitzgerald ARI  = One catch, two receiving yards
WR Golden Tate SEA  = Two catches, six receiving yards
WR Lance Moore NO  = One reception, 26 receiving yards
TE Kyle Rudolph MIN  = No catches

Gut Checks

I’d be worried if…

I’m getting too high or too low after Bryce Brown’s performance this week. His value was never as high as many perceived after his first two starts and it’s not as low as some may think today. He’s likely doing enough to become a nice change of pace back and valuable handcuff to LeSean McCoy – don’t get caught expecting any more or less at this point.

I own Ryan Mathews. He’s almost getting to the point where you can’t play him after his 65 yard performance on 25 carries this week. We’re going into week 15 and he’s still looking for his first 100 yard game of the season.

I need Larry Fitzgerald for anything this season. The Cardinals quarterback situation is one of the worst we’ve ever seen. The problem is their offensive line may actually be worse.

I own Rashard Mendenhall. He’s becoming a regular visitor to the “healthy scratch” list on Sundays.

I’m leaning on Denarius Moore. With all the drops and lapses in concentration, he’s starting to lose some valuable snaps to Rod Streater.

The three game touchdown drought from AJ Green is even making me a little bit concerned.

I have CJ Spiller and need him the rest of the season. With Fred Jackson out, you’d think Spiller would get a huge workload at the most important time. The way the Bills have been doing things, they’ll probably move him back to kickoffs and have Ryan Fitzpatrick run a bunch of quarterback draws.

I’m having any doubts that Randall Cobb is a legitimate WR1 next season.

I’m playing Adrian Peterson in any type of championship game.

I’m still benching Danario Alexander and saying, “Yeah, but he can’t do it again.”

I’m expecting any type of consistency from Torrey Smith. There just aren’t too many players more streaky than Smith.

I own Jake Locker. He’s only completing 50% of his throws since coming back and has just three touchdowns compared to nine turnovers the past three weeks.

I’m expecting MJD to see the field again this year. At this point, it would just hurt the Jags draft pick.

I gave up on Mike Wallace. Was anyone more happy to see Big Ben back this week?

I expect a game like that from Brandon Lloyd again.

You’re waiting to drop Mark Sanchez.

I own Dez Bryant. This is not the time for him to get injured. Not only are we right in the stretch run here, he’s finally emerging as a true WR1.

Have a great week everyone!

Ken Kelly
Sensei John Kreese

Lost my playoff game by .1 points!

192.5 to 192.4

I still have my main league, but that sucked more than anything I have ever experienced in my time playing fantasy.

Adam Franssen
Reply to  Sensei John Kreese

Same thing in our league: 0.45 points was the difference.

Cyrus Miller
Reply to  Sensei John Kreese

I won by .12.

Since I got a 0 from William Moore and Malcolm Jenkins (Was out of town so I couldn’t get Moore out of my lineup in time) I felt justified in winning, but I really hope the stats corrections don’t steal my victory.

Rick Scott
Reply to  Sensei John Kreese

There are still revisions…

SJ
Reply to  Sensei John Kreese

lost by 1pt in a non fractional. worst part is that it was my main league, and it was to A.Hernandez after being up 24pts in a PPR

Sensei John Kreese
Reply to  SJ

Started Shaub like a genius, and Pettigrew….that damn Pettigrew.

Reply to  SJ

I had my Welker and Watt vs his Hernandez and Gostkowski. I was down by 10 going in. Basically one JJ Watt sack would have even things out and then it would have been Welker vs Hernandez.

Never happened. Hernandez had two quick scores and my season came to a screaching halt.

James Young
Reply to  Eric Olinger

Painful. Thats the worst side to FF. Bar none. sometimes its not fair.

Sensei John Kreese
Reply to  Ken Kelly

It is what it is, thanks Ken.

It wouldn’t be that bad, but this is literally the 5th game I’ve lost in that league this year by less than 2 points. A feat so incredible that I could not replicate it if I had to. That team was 7-19 when i took it over this year, finished 13-13.

Like the title of Leo Marvin’s book would suggest, its all about baby steps. Yes, that was a “What about Bob” reference.

James Young
Reply to  Sensei John Kreese

As long as you like the roster, it makes it easier to have a challenging season like that. Its even tougher when you want to move on from the guys that burned you in a close season.

Hopefully they appeal to you and you will make a good run next year.

JBlake

Fitzgerald has been so unproductive lately, it’s almost unfair to put him in the unexpectedly horrible lineup–unfortunately, we did expect it to be that horrible.

Shout out to Brady and Brandon Lloyd’s big night. I was losing a 1st place tiebreaker in my main redraft league (regular season champ gets paid), and the 1st place team had a big lead with Foster going up against Brady and Lloyd, and I thought it was over…

Cyrus Miller

In the past three weeks, I have lost Harvin, Broyles and Dez in my most competitive league.

Really sucks, I would have been comfortable starting the three of them in the playoffs.

Luckily, I had been stockpiling WR’s because people have been trading “old WR’s.” Thus, I still have Andre Johnson, Marques Colston, Greg Jennings and Reggie Wayne.

Wayne and Harvin were the only WR’s on my roster at the beginning of last year. I acquired Colston and Andre midseason last year and Jennings midseason this year. I am hoping they lead me to victory this week.

SJ
Reply to  Cyrus Miller

Lost Dez and Harvin in a few leagues. Mainly a 14 team 25 man PPR, where I also lost DJax, T.Young, Britt and Antonio Brown for stretches. Was down to starting B.Gibson, Lew Murphy lol.

A lot of flukey injuries at WR this season

SJ

Cant help but stay as far away from R.Matthews as possible, after getting burned this year (consistently and stubbornly) but sad to say he could be a decent buy-low in the offseason.

So many things could change on that team, to where he’d be utilized as a full-time (Goal Line, please) back finally, possibly with a better o-line.

SJ
Reply to  SJ

Pretty sad that when Ronnie Brown took a big hit on the knee and had to leave the game with *hopefully* a serious injury (turned out to be minor), it got me excited at what Matthews could do with those PPR targets.

A definite low point indeed

Brent Mann

Im surprised Knowshon didn’t make any of those line ups… much better days than montell dwil or turbin

Brent Mann
Reply to  Ken Kelly

I figured that was case, and yeah, that still sounds crazy!

Carl

It hurts knowing I played a good season to have to play the Moreno/D. Martin owner in the playoffs. To think we laughed at him for picking Martin with the 1.4 rookie pick.

Poo
Reply to  Carl

I want in your league if you thought it hilarious to take Martin at 1.4.

James Young
Reply to  Carl

Same here. I wanted Martin straight away, and with many teams already set at QB, I’ve seen him go at 1.2 often. I dont think anyone could be mad at picking 1-4, you go a foundation player. And if the guy sitting at 1.5 was able to snag Martin over a Blackmon, Fleener, Floyd, Wright or Wilson owner, congratz to him. He wins

Brian Simmons
Reply to  James Young

ya…. i couldn’t imagine taking anyone in the top 4 not named Trich/luck/rg3/martin. that was pretty well established for most rookie drafts.