The Dynasty Aftermath: Week Ten

Welcome to DLF’s Dynasty Aftermath. This Tuesday staple has long been one of our signature pieces as we have a little fun after a tough week at the Dynasty League Football office. You’ll find this article will review the week’s happenings in a variety of ways and help set you up for the coming weeks as we spin around the league in the way we know best. After ten weeks, the contenders are starting to further set themselves apart from the pretenders in both reality and fantasy.

Let’s take our weekly spin around the league!

Week Ten Fantasy MVP

There a lot of players who hang on for too long as we see their careers fizzle to a stop. Tony Gonzalez won’t be one of them. In what looks to be his final season, Gonzalez is having one of his finest years. In week ten, he went toe-to-toe with Jimmy Graham of the Saints and held his own with 11 catches for 122 yards and two touchdowns.

At this point, he’s on pace for 108 catches, 1,097 yards and 11 touchdowns – not bad for a 36-year old tight end, eh?

Week Nine Fantasy LVP

Reggie Bush was supposed to come out of the bye healthy and ready to be the workhorse for the Dolphins again. Instead, he fell flat on his face and was benched by the team for fumbling. His owners certainly wanted more than the 21 rushing yards and eight receiving yards he produced on the day.

Yuck.

Lineup Fun The virtually unbeatable lineup of the week…

QB Joe Flacco BAL = 341 passing yards, four total touchdowns, one interception
RB Fred Jackson BUF = 80 rushing yards, four catches, 35 receiving yards, two touchdowns
RB Adrian Peterson MIN = 171 rushing yards, three catches, 5 receiving yards, one touchdown
RB Arian Foster HOU = 102 rushing yards, five catches, 15 receiving yards, one touchdown
WR Calvin Johnson DET = 12 receptions, 207 receiving yards, one touchdown
WR Danario Alexander SD = 5 receptions, 134 receiving yards, one touchdown
WR Jeremy Maclin PHI = 8 receptions, 93 receiving yards, one touchdown
TE  Tony Gonzalez ATL = 11 receptions, 122 receiving yards, two touchdowns

The dominant underdog lineup of the week…

QB Christian Ponder MIN = 221 passing yards, two touchdowns, no interceptions
RB Danny Woodhead NE = 61 total yards, two touchdowns
RB Andre Brown NYG Five catches, 94 total yards, one touchdown
RB Marcel Reece OAK = 48 rushing yards, seven catches, 56 receiving yards
WR Donald Jones BUF = 6 catches, 74 receiving yards, one touchdown
WR Golden Tate SEA = 2 catches, 51 yards, two total touchdowns (including one passing)
WR Jarius Wright MIN = 3 catches, 65 yards, one touchdown
TE Greg Olsen CAR = 9 catches, 102 yards, two touchdowns

The unexpectedly horrible lineup of the week…

QB Eli Manning NYG = 215 passing yards, no touchdowns, two interceptions
RB Michael Turner ATL = 15 rushing yards
RB Reggie Bush MIA One catch, 29 total yards
RB Pierre Thomas NO = One catch, 16 total yards
WR Steve Smith CAR =1 catch, 19 receiving yards
WR Ryan Broyles DET =  1 catch, 6 receiving yards
WR Eric Decker DEN = 2 catches, 15 receiving yards
TE Jacob Tamme DEN = 1 catch, 6 receiving yards

Gut Checks

I’d be worried if…

I own Robert Meachem. He’s officially a free agent bust now that Danario Alexander is in the fold.

I think Danario Alexander is done with his knee issues. Sorry to immediately throw water on this, but he’s had more knee surgeries than you have fingers.

I play CJ Spiller this week. Fred Jackson is out and Spiller is ready to blow up on Thursday night.

I have Michael Vick as my QB1 or even as my QB2 – it’s quite possible he’s played his final snap of the year.

I own Eli Manning. Look, it’s likely just a minor slump and the worry scale is probably at a “2” out of “10” right now, but if he comes out of the bye looking tired, it’s going to be a big story in dynasty leagues.

I don’t have a decent backup quarterback. How many concussions do we have to see before we start thinking it’s necessary to have not one, but two great options at quarterback.

I own Ryan Fitzpatrick. He puts up good fantasy numbers, but his days as a starter are nearing an end. He certainly won’t be the top dog for the Bills after this season.

I think I’m going to get that kind of game from Danny Woodhead again.

I have Ryan Mathews in my dynasty league. San Diego is just a constant disappointment and Mathews has been a huge one in his own right so far this year.

I’m just attributing Cecil Shorts’ production to garbage time. He’s playing pretty well at the moment.

I’m ignoring the production from Denarius Moore so far – he’s quietly having a great season.

I’m not covering the pass with Golden Tate now. OK, not really, but he’s also quietly performing well.

I traded away rookie picks this year for picks next year. We’re going to look back on this class and be amazed at how good it really is from a fantasy perspective.

I’m banking on Brandon Lloyd breaking out. He still has a chance, but it’s getting late.

I’m hoping for a repeat of last year for Steve Smith. He still has just one touchdown and the Panthers are a mess.

I have Brandon Bolden. After looking like he could really challenge Stevan Ridley for playing time, he’s now suspended for four games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy and has an injured knee on top of it.

I’m hoping for a breakout from Justin Blackmon. This is a redshirt year here, folks.

I have any Jets quarterback or offensive player. Just sayin’…

I own Hakeem Nicks or Victor Cruz. See Manning, Eli.

I was hoping the resurgence from Michael Turner would last.

I own Kenny Britt. He just doesn’t look 100% this year.

I have Ben Roethlisberger on my dynasty team. At the time this is published, we still don’t know the extent of his injury, but it certainly didn’t look good.

I haven’t figured out if I’m a contender or a pretender this year. You have to be one or another and if you haven’t figured it out, you’re probably not a contender.

Good luck this week!

Ken Kelly

Ken Kelly

Senior Partner - Executive Editor at DynastyLeagueFootball
Ken is a corporate trainer by day an a tireless editor of dynasty content by night. His passion for the World Champion Seattle Seahawks is second only to his love of fantasy football and the dynasty format.

Ken is on Twitter at DLF_KenK
Ken Kelly

Latest posts by Ken Kelly (see all)

1. Paul

November 13, 2012 at 6:57 am

I’d be worried if I’m banking on any Eagles skill position player (save Shady McCoy) now that Vick is done. They weren’t doing that great anyways but do we really see Foles as an immediate upgrade to Desean Jackson, Maclin, or Celek? Probably not.

• SJ

November 13, 2012 at 8:35 am

The hype around Foles needs to stop. Im in total agreement that Vick has been anything superlative, but give me a break. A mid-round rookie is really going to save the day in Philly? Why are people thinking that. Vick hasnt been terrible, hasent been great but hasnt been terrible to play as a decent low-QB1 each week. Now we got a wildcard in Foles. Will we even get that production each week? probably not.

Foles has a good matchup this week. if he flops, please tell me this is the end of this maddening madness. Not like hes gonna call better plays or get out there an block any of these blitzing defenders.. Foles aint gonna solve that. And there lies the REAL problem.

• SJ

November 13, 2012 at 8:38 am

As a Vick AND Foles owner (yes, I handcuffed him).. I’d much rather have Vick back. At least he gives you that chance for a monster game and is consistent enough to give you a decent one just from his rushing and passing yardage alone.

2. gudari47

November 13, 2012 at 7:57 am

I´m worried folks, I´m worried. Was worried before reading this list, am much more worried now…

3. Sensei John Kreese

November 13, 2012 at 8:19 am

We need a 100 things I hate more than Chan Gailey article.

I am a Fred Jackson fan, but does it not make sense to get the best player on the field the ball 20 times a game?

See also; Romeo Crennel.

• SJ

November 13, 2012 at 8:29 am

.. theres something stagnant minded about NFL Coaches and how they groupthink and lump all the “smaller backs” into one mindset of considering them too small to take on a heavy workload each week.

Note to NFL Personnel’s: Some backs are just too good and need to be on the field as much as possible, on a week-in week-out basis. Cant just lump any back under 250lbs in this “undersized” category and consider them unable to be a featured weekly back.

Just bullshh.

• SJ

November 13, 2012 at 8:38 am

• SJ

November 13, 2012 at 8:39 am

*disregard… wrong spot for reply

• Paul

November 13, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Dear NFL coaches. If you beatup your good smaller RB’s, just know your GM needs to draft another one sooner than he might want. You’ll get better production than a 5-7th rd rookie who doesn’t know the system and if you don’t use huge signing bonus’s they’ll be easier to cut when they do fall off the cliff.

• Jake

November 13, 2012 at 4:26 pm

A list of backs that need to just be given the job:
          Kendall Hunter (I do like Gore, but Hunter is much more explosive)
          Daryl Richardson (Jackson looks fresh, but how much longer can he hold up?)
          Jonathan Stewart (Some “workhorse,” although I’d expect nothing less from Carolina)
          Jacquizz Rodgers (Turner is really slowing that offense down)

• Paul

November 13, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Agree on Richardson, Stewart, and Rodgers. Disagree on Hunter. Gore fits that system so well and that’s a power running system. Having Gore over Hunter from an experience standpoint just makes too much sense.

4. SJ

November 13, 2012 at 8:23 am

Could I add an inset to your final “I’d be worried if”…

If I had a team currently in “Standings Purgatory”.. in that you have a good, high-scoring team but at the bottom of the rankings due to unlucky scheduling. OR have a bad team currently somehow sitting in the top of the standings due to lucky scheduling.

… theres nothing worse than making it all the way to the playoffs and getting ousted within the first round. Only thing maybe worse is seeing your rightfully good team sitting on the sidelines come playoff time due to unlucky match-ups, getting high score after high score with the potential to win it all if given the chance.

• Paul

November 13, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Disagree. Initial startup draft was this year and I drafted Luck, Spiller, Blackmon, and scores of other younger players. I’m currently 5-5 and couldn’t be happier with my team.

5. SJ

November 13, 2012 at 8:24 am

BTW… always enjoy these reads. One of my favorite weekly articles on the site

• Ken Kelly

November 13, 2012 at 8:39 am

Thanks SJ!

• Eric Olinger

November 14, 2012 at 10:07 am

I agree!!!

6. Coach

November 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I’m loving Denarius Moore. In fact i’m loving my receiving core. It was a question mark coming into the season but now it’s a real strength.

Demaryius Thomas
    Denarius Moore
    Vincent Jackson
    Mike Williams
    Antonio Brown
    Steve Johnson

A little disappointed in Rueben Randle and I traded Ryan Broyles for Jonathan Dwyer, so the rookies have let me down so far. But overall I love it.

7. Ray Voeller

November 13, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I’m worried if I am buying in on DLF Dynasty RB ranking that Doug Martin isn’t top 5. McCoy, T. Rich, Rice, Arian and ……

• Eric Olinger

November 14, 2012 at 11:50 am

I stil have Peterson above him but Martin is my RB6.

8. Dave

November 14, 2012 at 5:44 am

What are your thoughts on Colin kaepernick? Worth the add?

9. Stephen Lee

November 14, 2012 at 8:41 am

Could Joique Bell emerge as the #1 RB in Detroit? Or is he just “a guy” ?