The Dynasty Aftermath: Week Nine

Welcome to DLF’s Dynasty Aftermath. This Tuesday staple has long been one of our signature pieces as we have a little fun after a tough week at the Dynasty League Football office. You’ll find this article will review the week’s happenings in a variety of ways and help set you up for the coming weeks as we spin around the league in the way we know best. After seven weeks, the contenders are starting to further set themselves apart from the pretenders in both reality and fantasy.

Let’s take our weekly spin around the league!

Week Nine Fantasy MVP

Arian Foster is the only player to ever win the coveted DLF weekly MVP award in back-to-back weeks, that is until now. Doug Martin was unbelievable on Sunday as he thrashed the Raiders to the tune of 251 rushing yards and FOUR touchdowns. Throw in four catches for 21 yards and you had a day we haven’t really seen for a running back since Clinton Portis went off for 218 yards and five touchdowns against the Chiefs back in 2003. If you’d like to get LeGarrette Blount in a trade, I’d say he’s available about now.

Week Nine Fantasy LVP

Eli Manning has been really solid over the past few years, but Sunday’s performance was one he’d like to forget. Manning finished the day going 10-for-24 for 125 yards with no touchdowns and one interception. For a player who’s been so good as of late, that was his second straight clunker.

Lineup Fun The virtually unbeatable lineup of the week…

QB Carson Palmer OAK = 414 passing yards, four touchdowns, three interceptions
RB Doug Martin TB = 251 rushing yards, four catches, 21 receiving yards, four touchdowns
RB Adrian Peterson MIN = 182 rushing yards, three catches, 11 receiving yards, two touchdowns
RB Mikel Leshoure DET = 70 rushing yards, three touchdowns
WR Brandon Marshall CHI = 9 receptions, 122 receiving yards, three touchdowns
WR Eric Decker DEN = 8 receptions, 99 receiving yards, two touchdowns
WR Randall Cobb GB = 3 receptions, 37 receiving yards, 29 rushing yards, two touchdowns
TE  Brandon Myers OAK = 8 receptions, 59 receiving yards, two touchdowns

The dominant underdog lineup of the week…

QB Jay Cutler CHI = 229 passing yards, three touchdowns, no interceptions
RB Marcel Reece OAK = 8 catches, 95 total yards, one touchdown
RB Isaac Redman PIT 147 rushing yards, one touchdown
RB Joique Bell DET = 73 rushing yards, three catches, 36 receiving yards, one touchdown
WR TY Hilton IND = 6 catches, 102 receiving yards, one touchdown
WR Golden Tate SEA = 4 catches, 28 yards, two touchdowns
WR Rod Streater OAK = 4 catches, 54 yards, one touchdown
TE Tom Crabtree GB = 1 catch, 72 yards, one touchdown

The unexpectedly horrible lineup of the week…

QB Eli Manning NYG = 125 passing yards, no touchdowns, one interception
RB Darren McFadden OAK = 17 rushing yards, one high ankle sprain
RB Ahmad Bradshaw NYG = 48 rushing yards
RB Alfred Morris WAS = 76 rushing yards
WR Hakeem Nicks NYG =1 catch, 10 receiving yards
WR Santana Moss WAS =  1 catch, 2 receiving yards
WR Kendall Wright TEN = 2 catches, 30 receiving yards
TE Brandon Pettigrew DET = 1 catch, 11 yards

Gut Checks

I’d be worried if…

I’m counting on production from any Chiefs player. That team is just not very good. At all.

I thought Adrian Peterson wasn’t going to be the same after his injury. He’s like a terminator.

I thought Peyton Manning wasn’t going to be good enough to support two very good receiving options. We know about Demaryius Thomas, but has anyone noticed Eric Decker has yet to have a single digit game in PPR leagues this year?

I was a college quarterback coming out any time in the next few years. Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III are spoiling things for everyone and making things look way too easy. From a fantasy perspective, how good is “the big four” from this year’s rookie draft looking? Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, Luck and Griffin all look like pillars to build a dynasty team around.

I own Greg Jennings. With Randall Cobb and James Jones playing this well, there’s no way the Packers break the bank for Jennings this off-season.

I gave up on Josh Freeman.

Ditto for Reggie Wayne.

Double ditto for Sidney Rice.

I think the Panthers are going to simply throw Jonathan Stewart out there as a featured back after this week’s carry distribution. It’s a lost cause. For us (the legendary Stewart apologists) to give up on this says something.

I have Reggie Bush. We were concerned about him losing carries and now it’s happening.

I thought Mike Thomas was going to make a significant impact in Detroit early on.

I expect consistency from Titus Young.

I’m thinking I can get something from the Cardinals and their running game. Their offensive line is terrible. In fact, I’m not so sure they’re not covered in crisco when they hit the field – defensive players seem to just fly right by them.

I’m looking to pick up Armanti Edwards off waivers.

I have Darren McFadden. The talent is there, but we all saw first hand the risk associated with him, yet again.

Other Rookie Notes

I love how perceptions can change based on situation. Here are two rookie running backs and their stats so far this year:

Rookie #1 =  154 attempts, 794 rushing yards, 5.2 yards per carry, seven rushing touchdowns, 20 catches, 245 receiving yards, one receiving touchdown.

Rookie #2 = 164 attempts, 793 rushing yards, 4.8 yards per carry, five rushing touchdowns, 5 catches, 20 receiving yards

One of those players is considered a sure-fire RB1 and likely top ten pick in dynasty drafts next season, while the other is seen by many as a flash in the pan. Rookie #1 is Doug Martin and rookie #2 is Alfred Morris. Look, I hate Mike Shanahan as much as the next guy, but players who are this productive don’t get benched.

Speaking of rookies, guess which rookie quarterback has the most touchdown passes so far this year?  Andrew Luck? Robert Griffin III? Ryan Tannehill? Nope, it’s Russell Wilson with 13.

If you’re in an IDP league, Luke Kuechly has been amazing and is now third in the league in tackles.

In short, this was all worth mentioning because this class could go down as one of the best of the last decade.

Ken Kelly
Mike D

I’d be worried if I am a McCoy owner (as I am) thinking he’s anything near what he was last year. The Eagles are clueless about how to use him. Last year was a fluke.

Dave
Reply to  Mike D

Obviously, nobody thinks he’s putting up the numbers like last year. You’re not exactly going out on a limb there. But to say last year was a fluke? If I was in your league, I’d make you an offer, selling low the way you are. There’s definitely harder fixes than a bad oline and not getting handed the ball as much as he should. Owners like you are easy prey.

Mike D
Reply to  Dave

Yeah, am I, guy?

Adam
Reply to  Mike D

Ha! “Guy”. Classic.

I agree with Dave in that I’m making offers for McCoy, though. I feel that the guy has talent, and next year’s version of the Eagles will likely involve more Shady.

Dave
Reply to  Mike D

Gotta bust your ***** for calln McCoy a fluke.

Tgard

They teased us with the JStew feature back talk. They were simply being careful with Williams in case another team actually wanted him. Now that they are stuck with him they might as well use him.

Cyrus Miller

The one thing I will say about Stewart is that I am not concerned with this year. I have other options. But next year, I really think they cut DeAngelo and Stewart will be given plenty of carries.

Maybe not feature back carries, but I also expect them to improve their offensive line and maybe draft a WR. The offense as a whole will be better.

And anyone discounting Morris is just worried about Shanahan– he has been consistently good.

Paul
Reply to  Cyrus Miller

Said it earlier in the year I’ll say it again. I firmly believe the reason the Panthers kept both RB’s is because both aren’t durable enough to take a full pounding week in, week out. Even if Williams is let go Carolina is going to use Tolbert. Let’s just call Stewart what he is. A flex option with RB2 potential at best. Aka let someone else deal with the headache because they’re probably going to overpay.

Reply to  Paul

I think Carolina kept DeAngelo Williams because Marty Hurney made a dumb decision. It makes no sense to tie up that much cash at RB. You don’t give 36+ mil to a running back to play part-time. I think the Panthers just made a strategic error in signing Williams to a big contract, and they are paying for it, literally and figuratively. That’s why Hurney got fired, at least one of the reasons. It makes no sense to tie up so much money at RB when this team needs help at most other positions. Cam needs a better Oline and a second WR for Cam to target. I’m not buying the hype on Lafell at all. This team had to trade for Louis Murphy, and that is another questionable decision. Why trade for a journeyman like Murphy when you could just grab the same quality player as a free agent, like Danario Alexander? I’m not saying I like Alexander, but rather giving up picks for a player like Murphy is dumb. Lastly, the NFL is a pass-first league. Tying up so many dollars at RB makes even less sense now compared to 20 years ago. Carolina is just a rudderless organization with no clue on how to develop Cam and that offense. Jonathan Stewart is durable to be a starting RB in this league, he just needs commitment from his team, that’s all.

James Young
Reply to  Paul

I really agree with u Paul.

Also, do u get the same opinion about Mathews SD RB??

I feel like this year in the offseason he was primed to be a workhorse. Now hes back to sharing the load with a less talented (even lesser talented than years past) running back again. I’m throwing my hands up in the air here. One of the few things to like a bout matthews is to seem him getting all those dumpoffs and 3 yrd passes every game to boost up his fantasy basement each week. If he’d get a TD, sure all the better. but in PPR thats what i wanted to see. Hes already talented enough to have a really great game here and there, but that would have boosted him into rock solid RB1 territory. Now freaking Ronnie Brown… Ronnie Brown!!! is just as productive in a PPR as him. I cant believe it. and I cant take it.

Will he ever be on the field for 75% of the snaps?? I really doubt it at this point. Hes always just a RB2 in my book from now on.

What do u guys think?

Mike D

McCoy for Matthews and Bowe (I’m giving McCoy). Thoughts? My WRs are putrid (Colston, Andre Roberts, K Wright, Garcon killing me). I think last year was a fluke, McCoy isn’t a 20TD player, and I get what Matthews is, but there is still some upside there. My gut tells me to do it, is this at least a fair deal? Thanks, all!

ggeorge
Reply to  Mike D

Personally, I wouldn’t do it.

James Young
Reply to  ggeorge

cosign

Sensei John Kreese
Reply to  James Young

Bowe is a question mark. He won’t be back in KC, so his situation can do nothing but improve. That being said, I would still advise against making that trade.

James Young

I know the fantasy season has been up and down for a lot of ppl at this point, but 2 great things to be happy about so far is seeing Adrian Peterson and Peyton Manning back to being amazing again… that makes me really happy to see them doing so well. and even though my teams are lacking for the most part, its fun to see that

James Young

Thats a surprising stat about R.Wilson there. I’m an owner and I didnt even realize that.

He’s been solid and progressing every week. Great news for him.