Monday Morning Hangover: Week Six

Every Sunday we’re featuring the Sunday Six Pack that covers the day’s biggest storylines. We follow this up each and every Monday with the Monday Hangover, which looks back on those stories and covers what we learned. These back-to-back articles are sure to get you primed, pumped and informed throughout the entire season. In addition, reading these articles will ensure you understand the dangers of not paying attention or drinking too much on Sundays.

Can #1) No Mercy Percy

Harvin had another noteworthy performance in week six, racking up 11 receptions for 133 yards. He also added two rushing attempts, totaling one yard. Through six weeks, Harvin has established himself as a consistent top top ten PPR threat by amassing 49 receptions and 540 receiving yards. Interestingly enough, he’s only found the end zone a single time  as a receiver but, as a triple threat player, he remains an every week starter. Once considered by many to be overly quirky and somewhat fragile, Harvin has established himself as a gutsy play-maker who likely has another decade of performance to come, barring injury. He’s a player you hate to see starting across from you on fantasy Sunday.

Can #2) Ballard’s Bounty

Can we say that we saw anything definitive on our way toward determining how capable Vick Ballard could be as productive back? Hard to say. Ballard was far from dynamic, amassing only 25 yards on eight rushes in addition to two receptions for 17 yards. Hardly a noteworthy performance. Against a defense that has been anything but stout against the run, Ballard couldn’t get into a rhythm. Couple that with the fact that the Colts found themselves playing from behind in the second quarter and his day was all but done. Donald Brown remains the Colts most dynamic back and they’ll be looking forward to getting him back. Ballard is still deserving of a roster spot but his luster is slowly fading.

Can #3) High Tempo Meets Physicality

In what was arguably the game of the week, it looked like “high tempo” would win the day as New England raced out to an early lead and Tom Brady had little difficulty in moving the ball at will. The Patriots’ up-tempo offense and Brady’s 58 pass attempts had the Seahawks on their heels early. But come the second half and the tables were quickly turned. New England still had their chances but sloppy play and the inability to pick up key third downs led to field goals that ultimately wouldn’t hold up. A New England defense that was able to stifle Marshawn Lynch and hold the Hawks scoreless in the middle-two quarters, ran out of gas and was burned badly by the Seattle’s mighty mouse, Russell Wilson. In the end, a 46 yard Sidney Rice bomb sealed the victory for the Seahawks and Brady’s bunch, at 3-3, will have a lot to think about on the long ride home and begin to prepare for the visiting Jets. For Seattle fans, if you believe that defense wins championships, then there’s a lot to look forward to over the remainder of 2012 … not to mention that the offense has seemingly turned the corner as well.

Can #4) Low Tempo Meets Low Resistance

The ugliest great game of the week was found in Arizona as the Cardinals tried to keep an impressive home winning streak alive. It certainly looked as it would be in the cards as Jay Feely connected with a ridiculous 61 yard field goal with just over a minute left and would get another chance from 38 yards out to seal the victory. In the end, Feely’s attempt would hit the left upright, sending the game into overtime. As so often happens, the Cardinals couldn’t regain any momentum and the Bills’ Jairus Byrd overtime interception set up the game winning field goal by Rian Lindell. But beyond the late fireworks, the game was largely devoid of impressive offensive performances , with Ryan Fitzpatrick’s 153 yards of passing setting the bar. Furthermore, no single running back or receiver eclipsed the 100 yard mark. Buffalo’s C.J. Spiller did manage a combined 110 yards with a rushing touchdown and Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald hauled in six receptions on 12 targets for 93 yards and a touchdown. You get the feeling that neither team is destined for greatness this year.

Can #5) Brady Quinn Gets Another Last Chance

That should be Brady’s last chance. It’s not fair that a backup quarterback should only get a single game to develop chemistry and establish himself as a starter but that’s likely the situation that Quinn was in. After failing time and again to establish any offensive rhythm and the defense unable to stop the juggernaut that is Tampa Bay (tongue firmly planted in cheek), Quinn’s day ended with him going 22-for-38 for 180 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions. Game.  Set.  Match.  Ricky Stanzi anyone?

Can #6) Can Someone Please Catch a Matthew Stafford Touchdown Pass?

It was far from a dominating performance but 311 passing yards, a single passing touchdown, and a rushing touchdown is enough to take off the sting of what has been a pedestrian year thus far from Stafford, at least for a single week. The Lions simply haven’t established an additional receiver beyond Megatron and the frequent drops haven’t elicited additional confidence in the receiving corps.  A 4:5 touchdown to interception ration, regardless of the reasons why, isn’t enough to give fantasy owners the confidence needed not to seek alternatives in the second half of the season if Stafford can’t get things turned around in the next two weeks. Stay tuned.

Jeff Haverlack
JBlake

Are we ready to back down from the hype of Stafford being the #2 QB in dynasty rankings? Would anyone really take Stafford over Brees if you were drafting today? I always thought that Stafford’s success depends too much on his star receiver; usually the opposite applies.

Reply to  JBlake

I’m with you (and always have been) on this. My preseason ranks had Brees/Brady then Stafford. Dynasty owners need to balance youth with scoring points now. Going all in on youth just leaves so much on the table. Brady has three good years left in him – plenty of time to figure out an alternative for the future while winning now. Even more with Brees.

Another factor here is the new rules in the league. No data yet, but it has to be reasonable to expect lengthened careers for QBs.

Reply to  JBlake

I would still take him over Brees and Brady. I think he’s the real deal and he’ll be playing with the most dominant WR in the game for the next 7+ years. I think all three of them are close enough in talent that the age factor is enough of a tie breaker to warrant Stafford over those guys. I wouldn’t be upset with anyone for disagreeing though. Like I said, they’re all close in my opinion.

Jeff Haverlack
Reply to  JBlake

I’ve never been squarely on the Stafford bandwagon and had him the lowest of all the big name QBs, mainly due to injury history. I just haven’t seen enough to lead me to believe that he’s elite or can be on a full time basis.

If he can stay healthy and Detroit can establish other receivers not named Calvin Johnson, I’d be higher on him but as it stands, he’s going to start slipping on my board.

Ray

#3 Sloppy play. Afraid not my friend. DOMINATING Defense shutting down Brady & company. No sloppy play just hard hitting dominating defense. Legion of BOOM !!!

Matt Wertz
Reply to  Ray

Maybe you should watch the game again. Seattle is not very good.

Robert Hoffman
Reply to  Ray

Patriots blew that game. Brady had 300 yds midway through 3rd quarter. Hardly dominating D.

Chris Howat
Reply to  Ray

I completely agree with Ray. Some chowder heads like to think Brady lost the game for them.

Matt Wertz
Reply to  Chris Howat

Facts are facts. The Hawks are a 1-5 team with a 3-3 record.

Jeff Haverlack
Reply to  Ray

I wish I could agree with you … and I’m a Pacific Northwesterner. I’ll give credit for Seattle making some decent half time adjustments but they got very sloppy after mid-way through the third quarter. Kudos to the Hawks and Russell Wilson for capitalizing.

WarriorPoet

You guys were my go-to website for 5 years, you had the ultimate insight on dynasty players and situations. I was active in forums and engaged in conversations, but more importantly I felt that I had found a “home” it has been quite disappointing to see the site become so driven to collect. I believed in the site to have a bit of integrity and at least maintain the free content, but my most trusted source is gone now. I believed in the credibility of the organization long ago, it is sad to see you dismiss long time fans for paid subscriptions. I am glad you have found success, but I believe you could have done so without alienating your corps. I discovered DLF 6 months after my first dynasty league draft, it was a treasured gem. The diamond in the rough has been polished into a profit generating machine. I miss the days of brilliant unabashed review and sweet insight. I hope someday you find the success to do it for free again…

tebow
Reply to  WarriorPoet

i feel you bro,i used to get all may question replied to and debated about and now nobody cares. I use the forum more now but the content isn’t the same unless you got the cash. Oh well im looking for something else but the bad part is the other dynasty sites don’t update as much as this one so im stuck with it. I used to feel like this was a family but now its just like epsn

tebow
Reply to  tebow

*my questions

JBlake
Reply to  WarriorPoet

I have subscriptions to magazines which come once a month and I barely look at. DLF is $19.99/yr, and I access the site almost every day for new content and fantastic insights. Which do you think is the better value?

DLF is the first fantasy football website I’ve ever been willing to pay for, and so far I have no complaints. In the time it took to write your WarriorPoetry post, you probably could’ve found enough change in your couch to pay for a one-month trial.

GangstaMachine
Reply to  WarriorPoet

Waaaahh. Quit yer whining, son.

Look, I’m no paid DLF subscriber myself and have never paid for fantasy football. Just too much good free content out there. That said, three points:

1) It’s really hard to find good dynasty sites out there and I’d argue that this is the ONLY one worth a damn. Supply and demand.

2) The free content is very good here. So much so that I’ve leaned toward paying for the other content for the first time ever. Actually, protest of your post, I think I just might.

3) Poor form to come on here with some Justin-Bieber-based sob song, disrupt a perfectly good article to attention hog on the fact you can’t afford a measly $2/mo.

Open a lemonade stand and you’re good…mmmkk?