Waiver Wire Advice: Week Five

We’ll be covering some of the hot names on the majority of dynasty league waiver wires each week for our premium content members.  These players will likely be owned in a great minority of dynasty leagues.  We won’t waste your time with bigger names who are likely owned in your league like Alfred Morris, or the likely one week wonders like Dante Rosario because you guys are just too good for that.  We’re simply going to cover some players who could be targets this week if you have an open roster spot and are willing to throw a dart and hope to get lucky.

Just remember one very important thing – you’re in a dynasty league, not a re-draft league. Don’t get too enamored by the one hit wonders and drop your young projects in a quest to find lightning in a bottle. Savvy dynasty league owners will tell you the best players on the wire each and every year end up being the ones dropped by impatient owners, not the ones who suddenly break out. We won’t repeat many names here, so check out week four’s picks if you missed them.

Here are this week’s picks in order of priority:

Brandon Bolden, RB NE

In New England, you really never know what to expect from the backfield.  Both Bolden and Stevan Ridley eclipsed 100 yards and scored a touchdown in week four.  But 16 carries for 137 yards will get any coach’s attention. It certainly got ours!

Jackie Battle, RB SD

He’s been on and off fantasy rosters now for a couple of years.  He scored twice against Kansas City and he’s worth a spot at the bottom of a roster just in case.

Chaz Schilens, WR NYJ

It looks like Santonio Holmes is going to miss a significant amount of time.  Someone has to step up and it looks like it might be Schilens.  Like Battle above, he’s flirted with rosters in the past and he’s worth a spot if you’re looking for a flyer.

William Powell, RB ARI

Nothing to get overly excited about here, but with Beanie Wells out and Ryan Williams not adding much of a spark, Powell could get a chance.

Russell Allen, LB JAX

IDP’ers take notice – 42 Tackles in four games?  Yes, please!  He’s filling in for Clint Session and/or Daryl Smith so it may be short lived, but he’s playing really well right now and may warrant serious starter consideration.

Domenik Hixon, WR NYG

Six receptions for 114 yards against the Eagles in replacement of the injured Hakeem Nicks.  Hixon did his best Ramses Barden imitation in week four.  Hard to know which receiver is the better play due to injury, but Hixon deserves some thought if you’re desperate and believe Nicks could be injury ridden all year.

Jeff Haverlack
ziggy19

In the earlier than the egg stage: The Jets signed a rb from the Texans ps Grimes, if they move away from Greene do you think Grimes can overtake Powell?

Admin
Reply to  ziggy19

Hard to say, but check out the deep running back sleepers article from Saturday to learn more about Grimes and William Powell…

JBlake
Reply to  ziggy19

The Jets also just signed Lex Hilliard, so they seem really desperate to find a replacement for Greene.

Ryan Macnamara

22 roster 1/2 PPR 12 team dynasty league. These guys are sitting on waivers (most of them dropped this past week) and I have no idea how or why. Are there a few you would target first? I have two to three spots available.

Bryce Brown (I’ve got Shady)
Ryan Mallett
Vick Ballard
Bernard Pierce
Sanu
Emmanuel Sanders
Lamichael James (I’ve got Hunter)
Broyles
AJ Jenkins
Ruben Randle
Tannehill
Dwyer
Stephen Hill
Ronnie Hillman

Thanks!

Cyrus Miller
Reply to  Ryan Macnamara

I have no frame of reference for a 22 player roster, as I am in 30+ player rosters. So I will just rank them in order of how I like them and let you decide who fits on your team.

Ronnie Hillman
Broyles/Tannehill/Stephen Hill/James/Sanders

AJ Jenkins/Randle/Sanu/Ballard (if you believe in him)/Bryce Brown (to handcuff Shady)
Mallet/Pierce/Dwyer

The top two tiers are guys that I would try to get on your roster for sure. Ronnie Hillman might not do much immediately, but is a potential long term option for DEN. I have Brown, Pierce and Dwyer lower because I don’t see them as long term options.

The biggest question is how immediate you need production with only 22 man rosters. Broyles and Stephen Hill might take longer to become good enough to start, but I like their talent. The guys in the third tier are guys that I don’t think will fit on a 22 man roster because they will take too long to develop.

Reply to  Ryan Macnamara

Ronnie Hillman, Broyles and Tannehill. No doubt for me.

gojakey

Wow! I wish my waiver wire looked like that.
I like Sanders, Tannehill and Hillman out of that bunch
After that Hill, Broyles, Jenkins, Randle are worth picking up

Zach Levitt

Who would you rather have for long term: Dwayne Allen or Ladarius Green?

JBlake
Reply to  Zach Levitt

Allen has a chance to outproduce Fleener this year, whereas Green looks to be the 4th string on the Chargers. I’d take Allen, and based on the current rankings, 6 of 8 DLF writers agree.

Stan Reed
Reply to  Zach Levitt

Ladarius Green>>>>>> Dwayne Allen

Jordan Andrews

Who would you DROP for THIS YEAR ONLY? Ben Tate or Mikel Leshoure?

Stan Reed
Reply to  Jordan Andrews

Tate…………..

Ron Lane

Simpson, Hawkins or Britt? 12 team dynasty league

Paul Merkel
Reply to  Ron Lane

if it is a;

‘luxury’ spot ( dont need him this year ) – Britt for monster upside
if its ppr and you need him this year – Simpson

good luck

Luis Cardenas

I have Tsmith on my rosters and after his performance these past two weeks I have been offered multiple trades for him. Any of these trades seem worth it?

Chris Johnson and Peyton manning
Or
Steven Jackson and D Richardson

Thanks!

Chad Benner
Reply to  Luis Cardenas

It all depends on the rest of your line-up. You need to look at who your starters will be if you don’t trade and who they will be after the trade and see if your team has improved or not. That should make the decision easier.

f00sb4llpete

to pick up brandon bolden, do i drop ryan williams, jonathan dwyer, david wilson, robert turbin, or none of the above?

f00sb4llpete
Reply to  f00sb4llpete

must win games coming up, not as interested in upcoming seasons

stolenmeat
Reply to  f00sb4llpete

none of the above but if you must then Dwyer

Jeff Huntley

Should I drop Rod Streater or Ramses Barden to add Armon Binns. PPR 30 player Dynasty.

My Other WR’s are Floyd, Nicks, McCluster, Garcon, Maclin, Little, TJ Graham.