Waiver Wire Advice: Week Four

We’ll be covering some of the hot names on the majority of dynasty league waiver wires each week for our premium content members.  These players will likely be owned in a great minority of dynasty leagues.  We won’t waste your time with bigger names who are likely owned in your league like Alfred Morris, or the likely one week wonders like Dante Rosario because you guys are just too good for that.  We’re simply going to cover some players who could be targets this week if you have an open roster spot and are willing to throw a dart and hope to get lucky.

Just remember one very important thing – you’re in a dynasty league, not a re-draft league. Don’t get too enamored by the one hit wonders and drop your young projects in a quest to find lightning in a bottle. Savvy dynasty league owners will tell you the best players on the wire each and every year end up being the ones dropped by impatient owners, not the ones who suddenly break out. We won’t repeat many names here, so check out week three’s picks if you missed them.

This week is yet another really dry week on the wire in most leagues. We’ve still yet to see anyone really come out and surprise us, so your best bet should be to just save your auction dollars or waiver priority until that happens.

With that being said, here are this week’s picks in order of priority:

Joique Bell, RB DET

It certainly looks like the Kevin Smith era in Detroit is all but over with Mikel Leshoure looking like the clear starter. Lost in the madness is the fact that Bell has seemingly passed Smith on the depth chart as well. With the fluid nature of this situation, Bell could be worth a spot on your roster.

Ramses Barden, WR NYG

Barden exploded for nine catches and 138 yards in replacement of Hakeem Nicks on Thursday night.  We’ve been waiting for years to see Barden do something and he finally took advantage of his opportunity this week. He’s not going to do much with Nicks coming back, but he’s a good long-term stash since he’s a free agent at the end of the season. Perhaps he’s finally turned a corner.

Jordan Cameron, TE CLE

Cameron has long been a favorite sleeper of ours and he finally broke out this week as he caught five passes for 45 yards. He’s not a household name as of yet, but that could change in a week or two, so stay ahead of the curve if your league hasn’t caught on to him.

Tashard Choice, RB BUF

The Bills could have CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson and Choice all available this week. It’s also possible that Jackson and Spiller are both held out.  Choice doesn’t have much long term value, but if you’re in a pinch and the cards fall the right way, he could put up a good week.

LaVon Brazill, IND

With Austin Collie out for the year, the Colts are going to be forced to play many of their young guys. TY Hilton is owned in most leagues, but Brazill should get a nice opportunity now as well.

Jeremy Kerley, WR NYJ

We’ve hesitated in adding to Kerley to this list in the past, but he deserves a mention after catching two passes for 73 yards and a touchdown this week. The Jets receivers are always going to be up and down, but Kerley now has two solid games out of his three played this year. For the Jets, that’s saying something.

Kevin Elliott, WR JAX

When Laurent Robinson was knocked out of the game with a concussion, it was Elliott who came on in relief. He’s a super deep league stash, especially in shallow leagues, but he deserves to at least be monitored after a strong camp and his surprise insertion into the game.

Shaun Hill, QB DET

Hill came in played well in relief of Matt Stafford, throwing for 172 yards and two touchdowns. It looks like Stafford should be ready to go this week, but watch closely – if anything, this is a reminder that Stafford has a tendency to get nicked up.

UPDATE: The Jets signed undrafted free agent Jonathan Grimes off the Texans practice squad today. Grimes was pretty impressive in the preseason and the Jets are obviously pretty disappointed in their rushing attack. He’s clearly behind Shonn Greene, Bilal Powell and Joe McKnight on the depth chart, but he’s a player to monitor. By no means should you be spending your auction dollars or burning your #1 waiver position on him, but he’s a player to take a flyer on if you have first come, first served waivers and have an empty roster spot for a deep stash. If you’ve been a long time follower of DLF, you know I’ve mentioned him several times as a player to watch.

Good luck this week! Follow me on twitter – @DLF_KenK

Ken Kelly
George Najm

I cut Cameron for Myers…to back up Gates… Not happy about the situation …keep playing Gates…right??

stolenmeat

Drop Damaris Johnson to pick up Ty Hilton??

stolenmeat
Reply to  Ken Kelly

Thanks Ken!

Derek Poe

Would you drop Robert Housler to get either Tashard Choice or Kevin Elliott? Thanks.

stolenmeat
Reply to  Derek Poe

I have Housler and I wouldn’t drop him for them. Fred Jackson may be ready for the Patriots. Choice be useful for a couple games this season. Kevin Elliot is a lotto ticket on a horrible passing offense. You knew Housler was a long term project when you added him, hang in there and wait for the payoff unless you’re desperate for a bye week RB.

Will Finnegan
Reply to  Ken Kelly

would you drop housler for Cameron?

Jordan Stallard
Reply to  Will Finnegan

I would much rather have Cameron than Housler.

Will Finnegan
Reply to  Jordan Stallard

dropped santana moss for Cameron

Joseph Estrada

12 Team Salary Cap/Contract Dynasty PPR

Tampa Mike Williams got released and is a free agent now. I’m considering placing a bid on him, but would have to drop 1 WR to bring him on. Should I drop any of these WRs to make room for Tampa Mike?

Denarius Moore, Brian Hartline, Titus Young.

Drew Swanson
Reply to  Joseph Estrada

I’d drop Hartline. Moore should be a target monster going forward and Titus Young is a more electric talent. Just my 2 cents.

Adam Franssen
Reply to  Joseph Estrada

I would drop Young. I have him in 2 leagues and want to ditch him. He reminds me of Mike Thomas of JAX. Maybe it’s just the Hail Mary padding terrible stats….

Alan Bauerle

I’m in a 12 team dynasy league. PPR 22 man roster. I’m 8th in waiver wire priorety, as my team is 2-1. I have both Wallace n Antonio Brown out this week. Randall Cobb, Kendall Wright, and DHB( hopefully) will be starting for me. Looks like by the time it’s my turn I’ll be getting Armom Binns. Who would you put in priorety after that? Brandon Stokely, Brandon Gibson, Brian Hartline, Cecil Shorts, or Jacoby Jones, just incase DHB doesn’t start?

JBlake
Reply to  Alan Bauerle

I don’t think DHB is coming back this week. I think you start Hartline over Cobb and Wright at this point (Hartline averaging 4 for 70), so definitely plug-and-play him for this week. He probably has more dynasty value than the other options as well.

JBlake
Reply to  JBlake

Hope you took my advice and started Hartline this week 🙂 He just went off for 43 points…

Matt Feit

The lack of “sex appeal” on this list of names alone hammers home the point that the waiver wire thus far in 2012.. QUITE LAME.

Team Canada

Pitta or Bennett? Salary cap league, think it would cost me $1 for pickup and can sign for 3 years… they would be 3rd string behind Graham and F.Davis though

JohnnyT7635

Drop McCluster for Choice or Hilton?

Drew Elsberry

I have two projects on my team – Fleener & Marvin Jones. Fleener is my TE2 (behind Gronk) and Jones is my WR7. I won’t drop Fleener yet, but should I drop Jones for Cameron?

Drew Elsberry
Reply to  Ken Kelly

My other WR’s are Julio, StevieJ, Amendola, Rice, LaFell, and Binns (start 3 or 4). So I’m either keeping Jones as my WR7 or adding Jordan as my TE3. I’m also considering swapping Jones for Barden instead. I like that Barden’s in a contract year. Thoughts on Jones vs Jordan vs Barden?

stolenmeat
Reply to  Drew Elsberry

With Gronk and Fleener I’m wondering why you even want a TE3? Seems like you’re solid at the position already.

Drew Elsberry
Reply to  stolenmeat

I agree. So who would you rather own as your project WR7 – Marvin Jones or Ramses Barden? ppr league

Drew Elsberry

Thoughts on Armon Binns? Young dude is dominating WR touches in Cincy, outside of AJ Green, and his production has increased each week this season.

stolenmeat

Guy in my 16 team league just dropped Rueben Randle for Travis Benjamin. Should I bail on Hilton and pick up Randle? I don’t need immediate help at WR.

stolenmeat
Reply to  Ken Kelly

My other receivers are Larry Fitzgerald, Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, Antonio Brown, Denarius Moore, Micheal Floyd, Josh Gordon, and Ty Hilton. Gordon maybe?? :/
Thanks again btw.

Ole J Belboe

Drop Lamar Miller, Daryl Richardson, McCluster, Stephen Hill, Peyton Hillis(!) for either Richard Hawkins or Bilal Powell in a dynasty?

Is Christion Ponder worth a dynasty stash if I have Stafford and Palmer (both same bye)..? He’s on the wire, but I’d have to drop the same people above for him..!

Have really bad RB depth – but three stud WRs.

Thanks again Ken – great job!

stolenmeat
Reply to  Ole J Belboe

I’d drop Palmer for Ponder O.o one is on the way up and the other on the way down…

Brent Mann

Hey Ken,

In a non ppr, I need to choose 2 between Martellus, J Stewart, FJax and if he plays, Spiller. Im inclined to choose Spiller if he does end up healthy enough. Thanks for the help!

Brent Mann
Reply to  Brent Mann

My bad Ken wrong thread

Ryan Macnamara

22 roster 1/2 PPR 12 team dynasty league. These guys are sitting on waivers and I have no idea how or why. Are there a few you would target first?

Bryce Brown (I’ve got Shady)
Ryan Mallett
Vick Ballard
Bernard Pierce
Sanu
Emmanuel Sanders
Lamichael James (I’ve got Hunter)
Broyles
AJ Jenkins
Ruben Randle
Tannehill
Dwyer
Stephen Hill
Ronnie Hillman

Thanks!

Drew Elsberry

Ken, who would you rather have in ppr as your WR7 – Marvin Jones or Damaris Johnson?

Matthew Shafran

Need to choose one more receiver to start…colston, TBMW, Titus, Braden?

Which 2 RBs? Bush, hunter, Ingram, spiller, choice, Andre brown? (I’m thinking bush, choice -if spiller is inactive)

Thanks!

JBlake
Reply to  Matthew Shafran

Wrong thread…There’s a weekly sit/start article for Premium members…