Waiver Wire Advice: Week Two

We’ll be covering some of the hot names on the majority of dynasty league waiver wires each week for our premium content members.  These players will likely be owned in a great minority of dynasty leagues.  We won’t waste your time with bigger names who are likely owned in your league like Randall Cobb or Alfred Morris because you guys are just too good for that.  We’re simply going to cover some players who could be targets this week if you have an open roster spot and are willing to throw a dart and hope to get lucky.

Just remember one very important thing – you’re in a dynasty league, not a re-draft league. Don’t get too enamored by the one hit wonders and drop your young projects in a quest to find lightning in a bottle. Savvy dynasty league owners will tell you the best players on the wire each and every year end up being the ones dropped by impatient owners, not the ones who suddenly break out.

With that being said, here they are in order of priority:

1.) Kevin Ogletree, WR DAL

We covered Ogletree at great length last week. He’s the number one target this week, but be very cautious with how you play this. Sure, the eight catches for 114 yards and two touchdowns look great and it’s easy to say he could be this year’s Laurent Robinson. However, it’s just as easy to say the Giants weren’t ready for him and their secondary was banged up. He most certainly belongs on a roster, but I wouldn’t be using all my precious auction dollars on him. Remember, Robinson was great in the red zone last year and did a lot of his damage when Dez Bryant or Miles Austin were hurt – he’s still going to be no better than the fourth option in this passing offense.

2.) Dexter McCluster, RB/WR KC

McCluster was used a ton in the preseason, leading to rumblings he could be a third down presence during the regular season. That seemed to come to fruition as he posted six catches for 82 yards on a healthy ten targets this week. It’s possible the Chiefs are just giving Jamaal Charles some time to settle in, but McCluster looks like a low cost PPR option this season. As a bonus, many formats allow him to be played as a running back or a receiver, allowing you ultimate flexibility.

3.) TJ Graham, WR BUF

Graham was inactive on Sunday, but the loss of David Nelson to a torn ACL is going to open the door for him to perform. The Bills look like a team that may find itself behind and forced to throw a lot and Graham really looked good in the preseason. He’s a project player who has a chance early – you can’t ask for much more than that.

4.) Aldrick Robinson, WR WAS

After Pierre Garcon went out with a foot injury, it was Robinson, not Santana Moss, Leonard Hankerson or Josh Morgan who became the apple of Robert Griffin’s eye. He finished the game with four catches for 52 yards and one touchdown. We’ve seen the hype on him before and now it looks like it’s really warranted.

5.) Daryl Richardson, RB STL

It’s safe to say that Isaiah Pead is not the unquestioned handcuff to Steven Jackson after he had a very unimpressive preseason. In fact, it was Richardson who was able to get a couple of touches this week as Pead sat on the bench. If Jackson was ever to miss time, Richardson has earned at least a time share. With the way Pead has looked so far, he could even be the “1” in a “1-2” punch. Regardless, you could do worse with a dynasty league stash.

6.) Donald Jones, WR BUF

We’ve seen enough of Jones to know he’s not a dominant player. However, the season ending injury to Nelson is going to likely push him to slot duties and that puts him squarely on the radar in PPR leagues. He had five catches for 41 yards and a score this week playing on the outside, but he should still benefit from the move to the slot, especially in PPR leagues.

7.) Andrew Hawkins, WR CIN

The Bengals have been searching for a second receiver to pair with AJ Green and Hawkins was it in week one, as he led the Bengals with eight catches for 86 yards. He’s very small, but he could be the future slot receiver in Cincinnati and that merits watching in a dynasty PPR league.

8.) Ryan Lindley, QB ARI

With John Skelton on the shelf for a few weeks, Kevin Kolb is going to be the quarterback in Arizona for the near future. From what we’ve seen from Kolb, that could last less than a series. He was good last week, but it’s hard to see him keeping that up. It’s conceivable that Lindley could get in a game here soon since he’s next in line. He’s far from ready, but Kolb hasn’t shown us anything consistently to give us any type of confidence, even in short term relief of Skelton.

9.) Chris Rainey, RB PIT

Rainey had only three touches and four yards on Sunday night, but you can really see he has dynamic talent if you watched the preseason. He’s purely a long term stash in dynasty leagues and could only have value in the short term in leagues that reward return yardage. However, if you have a deep roster, he could be worth it in the long term.

10.) Cecil Shorts, WR JAX

Shorts was a hot name last year as the Jags brass really talked him up. Unfortunately, he just never really produced much of anything with Blaine Gabbert struggling so much. With Gabbert finally looking mediocre, can he build on his four catch, 74 yard performance that featured a score this week?

11.) Colt McCoy, QB CLE

Look, we know what McCoy has been and it’s not much more than a desperation QB2 play. If Brandon Weeden continues to look this bad, McCoy is going to get a second chance to prove he can be better than that.

12.) Tarvaris Jackson, QB BUF

We also know what Jackson is and that’s not incredibly impressive, either. However,  Ryan Fitzpatrick now has 17 INTs in his last nine games and that’s just not going to get it done. Fitzpatrick is going to have a relatively long leash, but Jackson could end up starting some games in a month or so.  If you have a dire need for a backup for the bye weeks if injuries strike your team, Jackson could be a future option.

13.) Brandon Gibson, WR STL

Gibson seemingly has nine lives and has now effectively held off both Chris Givens and Brian Quick for the time being. He played well on Sunday with four catches for 51 yards a touchdown. It’s hardly a signal of Gibson finally emerging, but the Rams are desperate for someone to make some plays and he and Danny Amendola stand to make the most at the moment.

14.) Anthony Allen, RB BAL

The Ravens cut Bobby Rainey today and elevated Allen from the practice squad, which was quite a surprise considering how well Rainey played in the preseason. Rainey and Allen are two completely different players and the Ravens chose to go with more of a power back, but Bernard Pierce has been pretty unimpressive as the backup to Rice. Allen is worth watching just to see if he gets any touches ahead of Pierce or worth picking up if you have a bunch of deep roster spots and miss out on the players listed above. Keep an eye on Rainey and wait to cut him – he may not make it on to the Ravens practice squad.

Those are really the most intriguing names who are out there in many leagues. We’ll be back next week with some more, exclusively for our premium content members!

Ken Kelly
Zach Levitt

Would you drop Dion Lewis, Javon Ringer, or Alex Green for D. Richardson?

Reply to  Zach Levitt

Definitely not Alex Green. There’s a clear path for him to the GB starting job, Benson is not the long-term solution. Of those three, I’d cut Lewis, McCoy plays every down and even if he gets hurt, it’ll be a committee with Bryce Brown.

captainzach1

Drop posey for shorts?

Matt Feit

That might be the terdiest week one waiver wire ever. And that’s no slight to the author of the article. I’m just pointing out that no one came from nowhere in week 1 as in years past who is probably not currently on a roster that deserves to be. My personal advice for week 1 waivers? HOLD… some imbeciles are bound to drop guys they shouldn’t… be the first dude to grab THOSE gems/stashes… not the first guy to go bonkers trying to get ogletree or one of those other no names. Just my humble opinion.

StevieMo

I agree with Matt. It’s too soon to make snap decisions based on one week of play, particularly if you’re going to start waiving guys.

Sensei John Kreese

My advice for this week?

If you are in a ppr league with return yards…go get Randall Cobb. Overpay if you have to.

Matt Feit

I don’t think Randall Cobb is available on waivers in many dynasty leagues… and he was even scooped up in several redrafts I’m in on draft day super late as late flex; namely by ME!!!

Sensei John Kreese
Reply to  Matt Feit

I meant trade for him, procure his services by any means necessary. I strongly believe he could be a Top 10 receiver this year.

That being said, I dont own him. Got an offer out, Torrey Smith and Kevin Smith for Cobb and a late first. We shall see…..

Forrest Cohn
Reply to  Sensei John Kreese

Torrey Smith is awesome. Don’t trade him

Sensei John Kreese
Reply to  Forrest Cohn

Doesn’t matter, other dude already shot the trade down.

Reply to  Sensei John Kreese

As a Cobb owner, I would never take that trade. However, that trade could never be offered to me since I own Torrey Smith in all my leagues. 🙂

Ryan Moen

Should I drop Hardesty for Ogletree?

Alan Bauerle
Reply to  Ryan Moen

I say yes u do. But remember giants DBS were paper thin that game. That being said u will get more pts from him then hardesty. Just don’t expect 8 catches 100 yrds n 2 tds.

Ryan Moen
Reply to  Alan Bauerle

Thanks, it hurts to let Hardesty go as I drafted him with the #5 overall pick 3 yrs ago in our rookie draft. :-/

Ryan Moen
Reply to  Ken Kelly

Exactly. Thanks guys!

trey sands

would you drop quick or hillman for TJ Graham and or A robinson?

i was not expecting anything form quick or hillman until mid season anyway but dont want to be the impatient owner that drops the valvue.

Alan Bauerle

I wouldn’t drop them. U know how it goes. Robinson isn’t gonna get many chances if Bennett keeps playin like that, which he will. Now T J Grahm that’s gonna depend on if Fitz can keep his job. If T-Jax takes over I’d be stayin away

ziggy19

your Dynasty TE rankings 25 Marcedes Lewis JAX (6) 28 Disappointing 2011

He`s available on the waiver wire and would be my number 3 TE Gronk,Rudolph top 2 would be dropping Rashad Jennings who let me down big time last week and I feel the need to set an example for my team…already have 6 rb`s. Think Marcedes with an improved passing game can bounce back and offer good value?

Ole J Belboe

Sorry, got a comprehensive question: I just drafted my first dynasty league team (ppr), picking Graham in rd 2, but I have no backup to him. Was hoping maybe you would provide some TE advice. Is Pitta, Lewis, H. Miller, Chandler worth picking up if I have to drop Lamar Miller, Pead or V. Brown..?

Also, I am not really stacked at RB, due to picking Stafford, Graham, White, Harvin, Austin in rounds 1-5. I got Jeffery and Hill, so WR-future seems good. I am thinking about picking up even more WR’s to perhaps trade White or Austin for an RB. Would it be stupid to drop Isiah Pead or Lamar Miller (the one left after the TE-move), to improve-and-trade..? The available options are A. Roberts, C. Shorts, Hawkins, A. Robinson, Gibson, McCluster..?

Bidding-style, what is their worth?

Ryan Moen
Reply to  Ole J Belboe

Can you take advantage of an IR spot with VBrown?

Ole J Belboe
Reply to  Ryan Moen

Ryan Moen

I’d wait it out and try to 2 for 1 something or trade a WR for Cook

Vince B

I am in a PPR league and would like to review my options for a potential “bye-week” WR with some upside. Wallace has a Week 4 Bye. And AJ Green is my second WR. At this moment my “backup / bye-week” WR’s that are on my bench consist of G.Little and K.Wright. However the following WR’s are currently available: B.LaFell, D.Jones, R.Streater, A.Jeffery, and A.Hawkins at the top. Any recommendations? Or hold what I have in place??

I also have S.Vereen as a very deep RB backup. CJ.Spiller is my main RB backup and I.Redman is behind him. Should I hold S.Vereen or consider the likes of: R.Turbin, V.Ballard or even C.Brinkley? Or maybe pickup two WR’s and stick with my current RB backup duo?

IceHammer

i have a $25 FA pool,is it worth going big bid on Cobb or grabbing value with Hawkins?

Reply to  IceHammer

In dynasty, absolutely big bid on Cobb.

JBlake

What about Clay Harbor, who scored in Week 1? He’s not on the Dynasty TE rankings, even though it seems like he will be the Eagles starter in a few years when Celek gets older and slower. Would you drop Orson Charles or Julius Thomas for Harbor? We start 2 TEs, and I also currently have Graham/MBennett/KDavis.

Casual Backhand Sauce

Would you waste the number 1 waiver spot on a guy like Hawkins? Its very deep rosters so waiver options aren’t always going to make or break you to much. The only other options on the wire are Cecil Shorts and Shaun Draughn. Dropping a guy or two isn’t an issue for me since our rosters are so deep and I have an open spot after putting Nelson on the IR. I just don’t know what deeper options may emerge since most of the rookies and deep stashes are already spoken for.

f00sb4llpete

which of these QBs looks most likely to get playing time playoff weeks 14-16? league is 16 teams and must play 2-3 QBs.

Joe Webb
Ryan Mallett
Brady Quinn
Derek Anderson
Ryan Lindley

Sensei John Kreese
Reply to  f00sb4llpete

That is an impossible question, as these guys will only see the field if injuries strike, and you cannot predict injuries, ( Unless you are talking about LB Thomas Davis).

I would suggest Ryan Lindley, as no qb is currently setting the world on fire in Az.

Other than that, if you were inclined to pick one of these guys up, I’d go with a backup on a team that you suspect might be resting their starters come week 16

48 qb league is insane, also totally superfluous.

f00sb4llpete
Reply to  Sensei John Kreese

thanks! league is 2QBs with 1 Q/W/R/T flex. trying to pick up QB handcuff.

f00sb4llpete
Reply to  f00sb4llpete

have played a ton and its most fun league ive ever played

BAM Nation

I have 2 open roster spots and wondered who are the best 2 out of the following:

WR Hawkins
WR Avery
RB Draughn

The 3rd roster spot and I need an TE2 (we can start 2 TEs)

Pitta
Lewis
Bennette

David Skarin

Non-PPR, Standard Scoring, Flex Spot: Pick One

Laurant Robinson
Coby Fleener
Cedric Benson

Thanks!

Joseph Estrada

PPR

Wallace or Brown? I have them both and only 1 spot left. Does it change which one to use if Revis does end up playing?

Thanks!

Joseph Estrada
Reply to  Joseph Estrada

sorry, clicked wrong article…