Dynasty League Etiquette

Etiquette is such a goofy word, but it’s also a very important one when it comes to the success and failure of newer dynasty leagues.

In the world of re-draft fantasy football, if someone isn’t behaving as desired, they just don’t get invited back the following year. In dynasty leagues, where the goal is to create long lasting, invested owners of a team, you don’t want to have that turnover. On the flip side, if you don’t deal with that owner, it runs the risk of destroying the league because it ceases to be fun for the other owners. It puts the league and commissioner in a rather tricky position that just might be solved if the offending parties took a moment to review a little bit of “Dynasty Fantasy Football Etiquette 101.”

If someone in your league posted this link, chances are they feel that you or someone else in your league would benefit from a little refresher, so pay close attention.

Rule 1: Be Careful With the Trash Talking in New Leagues

You probably wouldn’t hesitate to walk up to your best friend of 20 years and toss an insult his way in jest, because you know he would probably fire something right back. Hopefully you wouldn’t do the same thing to a random stranger that you pass on the street, because it would definitely get a much different response. How long and how well you know someone can make a huge difference in the world of joking and sarcasm.

The same goes for trash talking.

Trash talking, especially when it is done right, can be a whole lot of fun and a vital part of some leagues; however, it does have a time and a place. If you are in a new league with people you don’t know, you need to be very careful with the trash talking and feel out the league a little bit first. This is especially true if you are the only one doing it. If you aren’t getting any responses from people, it is very likely that everyone is thinking that you’re just a huge jerk, not someone that is trying to have a little fun with trash talking. Once things get going and you get a feel for the league let the trash talking commence.

Rule 2: Don’t Be “That Guy”

We all know “that guy” without me even describing them because just about every league has one or maybe even more than one. If you don’t think your league has one, take a quick look in the mirror because it might be you!

“That guy” is the one who is always sending out the lowball offers trying to rip people off with the page long emails telling them why it is a huge favor that he is offering this deal. When it gets turned down, “that guy” often gets nasty and sends a rather hostile email back, makes little comments in league chat, or might even post something berating on the league message boards or DLF Forum about the deal.

These are also the guys that tend to have very unrealistic views of their players. Players are suddenly worth more just because they are on their roster filled with four RB1s and six WR1s, even though every website you can find has their players ranked in the 10-30 range on their positional rankings.

They are also “that guy” who tries to tell everyone how they should be running their team. Unfortunately, “that guy” often does pretty well in leagues because he manages to complete one or two of those lopsided trades before the reputation catches up with them and all of the bridges are burned. Otherwise, they are the ones who prey on the new owners in the league before they completely understand the dynasty concept, stealing the one good piece they had in exchange for six pieces of trash or aging players. They takes their success as a justification for their terrible behavior, not realizing that they are the scourge of the league, that the other owners talk about him, and that he just might be the biggest problem in general.

If you are “that guy,” wake up and change what you’re doing before you ruin the league or get voted off the island!

Rule 3: Respond to Other Owners

If you set your lineups each week, there isn’t a whole lot of other things you need to do. If you like your team, you don’t need to trade or make claims. You don’t need to be posting on the message boards or in the chat. However, you do need to respond to direct communication from other owners in a timely manner.

Think about it along the lines of you needing some home repairs done. If you call a business and leave a message for them to call you back, you expect to hear something from them. Maybe they call and tell you they are too busy or their price is too high, but at least they called you back. If another owner sends you a trade request, a private message, or an email you should do them the courtesy of responding in a timely manner. I’m not saying you need to answer within 15 minutes, but you should be able to give them some kind of response within 48 hours.

Sure, things happen from time to time like emergencies and vacations, but if you can’t check the website or can’t be troubled to check your email at least every other day, you need to re-evaluate your choice to be in a dynasty league. If you need more time to think about a trade, just tell them that so they aren’t left twisting in the wind. There is nothing worse than not hearing a peep about a trade offer that was sent out.

Rule 4: Don’t Get Offended and Insulted

There always seems to be several posts on the forums that include some variation of the phase “This is an insulting offer” or “You should be offended they offered this to you.” Please, get over yourself. Especially in a dynasty league, there are so many different ways to look at player values and deals. Don’t assume your values are always the correct ones. You don’t know anyone else’s thoughts or plans for their team or how they view players. In their eyes, what they offered could have been very fair and you just have different views.

Getting offended or insulted and throwing a little temper tantrum isn’t going to help anything. In fact, if you do it publicly, it just might make you look like the jerk. It is always best to reply with a simple, “No thank you. This deal isn’t close to what I’m looking for” and be done with it. Throwing a counter offer that is even worse back at them just throws more fuel on the fire and could burn a bridge. One “bad” offer isn’t grounds for a freak out or you refusing to speak with someone.

Leagues are small enough that you can’t afford to cross teams off your trade partner list every time you get an offer you don’t like. The only time that more than the polite refusal is warranted in my opinion is when you are dealing with “that guy” as stated above.  Still remain as polite as possible, but you can call them out a bit on their behavior. Maybe even give them the link to this article!

Rule 5: Follow the Deadlines

This one is pretty simple.

There are certain times during the year when you are supposed to have things done. This could be paying your league fees, making roster cuts, voting on a rule change, or any number of other things. Follow those deadlines. Don’t hold up the rest of the league just because you are being lazy. Plus, it puts a lot of stress on the league commissioner when they need to not only be hounding you about it, but also fielding questions from the rest of the league about why you haven’t taken care of things as of yet.

Rule 6: Support the Decisions of the League

Very few leagues keep the exact same rules from year to year. Most leagues have some kind of discussion and change to rules as time goes and hopefully those are decided as a league and not just by the will of the Commissioner. Regardless of who makes the changes, you aren’t always going to be on the winning side of things. Once those discussions end and the change is or isn’t made, you need to drop it until the following year when the rule changes are discussed again. Don’t keep bringing up the rule week after week, keep making comments to those on the other side of the fence, or turn into a malcontent.

For example, those of you who have been following my work know about my stance on kickers. If you don’t, you can view them here. Even with this, all of the dynasty leagues I am in still have kickers. Every year I bring it up during our rules meeting and the votes have gotten a little closer each time. Other than that meeting, I don’t mention it at all. There is a time and place for everything.

Rule 7: Be Gracious in Victory and Defeat

This is something that every kid should learn before the age of eight, but we often forget when we become adults. No one likes a sore loser or a sore winner. The guy who mopes around or talks about quitting just because they finish last or lose a game by one point isn’t going to win many friends – neither is the guy who signs every bulletin board post with “Five time back to back champion.”  Luck can change very quickly in fantasy football and a little humility goes a long way.

Rule 8: Always Give Your Best Effort

We all make mistakes and we all have bad luck from time to time. That might mean that you end up towards the bottom of the league. Even if you are near the bottom of the league it is never okay for you to tank a few games to shoot for the first pick or for a better wavier wire claim. Tanking in a dynasty league is ten times worse than in a re-draft leagues because not only does it mess up the payouts and playoffs for that year, but it messes with the draft order. That draft order in turn impacts the league for years to come. Always try your best to win with what you have on hand.

These are just a few of the more commonly ignored rules of etiquette that tend to cause some issues in newer leagues. There are lots of other ones that drive seasoned owners crazy, but if you can follow these you should get your new league off to a good start and hopefully prevent it from fizzling out. Keep in mind, once leagues have been around for a while they all take on their own personality and some of these rules might not apply. Once they get to that point, just sit back, relax, and have fun with it.

What are some other rules of etiquette you like to follow?

Ken Dogson

Rule 6

Don’t join a league where the Commish is dictator, changing the rules as he sees fit, from PPR to non-PPR, from including STs yardage to not, etc. It is a very frustrating experience.

BB Wayne
Reply to  Ken Dogson

That’s an immediate bail.

ryan
Reply to  BB Wayne

Under what circumstances is it okay to leave a league? (not during the season)

bbwayne
Reply to  ryan

If the Commish changes rules during the season then why waste any more time. It means the league will not last anyway. I have better things to do.

If he respects league wide polls then that’s a different tory.

Reply to  ryan

It depends. I look at it as a symbiotic relationship between a commissioner and league owners. Both should respect and value each other’s position in the league, and work together to make the league as good as it can be. I’ve seen owners who are very good, and others who need to read this excellent article. Same thing for commissioners. I have three dynasty teams, all of which have great owners and commissioners. I’ve been in one redraft league for four years. I’ve done well in that league. Unfortunately, a few owners in that league are not too happy with my success. Trade approval was changed from immediate approval with commissioner’s discretion to veto, to league owners voting to approve trades. I reached a deal with an owner to trade Ryan Mathews/Jason Witten for Gronkowksi/CJ Spiller. League owners voted ‘no’, and reasons given were ‘we don’t want your team to get better’. Ironically, I was probably getting the short end of that deal. To me, that’s a reason to leave a league.

sixshooter
Reply to  Ken Dogson

Any and every rule change after a league is established should go to a league vote!

This is great, Jacob….Going up on my league front page immediately.

tebow

oh yeah we got “that guy” in our league. I always ask “that guy” when he sends me lowball offers if he would take the deal if the tables were turned. my guys suck and his guys are awesome i hate that kinda stuff.

sixshooter
Reply to  Jacob Feldman

Yes, that kind of guy quickly learns how to conduct a proper trade or his team quickly struggles…..either way it is a win for the rest of the league! Not hard to click that reject button!

Frank The Tank
Reply to  tebow

we call “that guy” the “overrating, playa hating” guy…..he overrates his guys and hates on your guys. I usually send horrible offers that I’ve received, and I’ve received a ton, a counter proposal that involves his RB1 and my K. That usually ends the conversation.

StevieMo

Great article, Jacob. Leagues which conduct their business with the right spirit and camaraderie and with great sportsmanship are the best.

It took us a while to learn that but once we settled in with these core values, it was that much more fun. This is Year 25 of our league.

One difference from Jacob’s tome: Everyone in our league used to fight about rule changes so we make very few, and if we do make changes, we wait an extra year to implement (most of) them. We no longer have owners vote on them, but we speak with most owners to sound out the idea before the commish institutes the change. Before that, guys would take sides and politic and have heated arguments, and madness ensued.

Clinton

I’d love to post this article on my leagues website… however I don’t want the entire rest of my league knowing about your truly awesome website :)… Sorry guys I want all this key information for myself. lol Keep up the good work.. I don’t know what I did before finding ya.

bbwayne
Reply to  Clinton

Well I posted it because I’m a fair and impartial commish. 🙂

Admin
Reply to  Clinton

Well, I think the gig may be up at this point…

sixshooter
Reply to  Clinton

Hate to break it to ya but if you google dynasty football…..this is the first site that comes up so it’s not as secret as you think!

Rhylok

The only time I ever get insulted is by out league’s “That Guy.’ It’s just a matter of course at this point. Thanks for the great article, I’m going to post it to at least one league.

The Hamburglar

Fantastic piece. I’m sharing with friends.

MikeB

this response it to your stance on kickers and im partly on your side… i think that drafting kickers is a waste of time and roster space but not everyone in my league agrees so we meet in the middle. so yes we no longer draft kickers but they are still part of our scoring. I just added the scoring system for kickers to the scoring for our DEF/SPT therefore when we draft our TM DEF/SPT you get that teams kicker as well.

sixshooter
Reply to  MikeB

Saying that kickers don’t have a place on fantasy teams is like taking them out of the NFL! It is all about a part of managing a team whether it is an NFL team or a fantasy team….you have to account for them and have to manage your team accordingly! Those who disagree are those who don’t like to manage that part of their team but that is what makes the game so GREAT!!! If you can’t manage having a kicker on your roster then you have no business managing a team!!!!

sixshooter
Reply to  sixshooter

Not trying to be so blunt but kickers have been an element to the outcome of a game since day one and therefore should also be a factor in the fantasy football world we know today. I am confident this comes from some who have been in a position to where the FFB team had a greater need at another postion but did not have spot available which I gaurantee is the case with most any other team! Ya’ have to manage around it just like NFL teams do!

MikeB
Reply to  sixshooter

But again thats why its cslled “fantasy” football. we dont draft O-line men, holders, and punters either(every position effects the outcome of the game even long snappers) and theres alot of NON IDP leagues beause its fantasy not the real NFl!! If a league has more fun and enjoys thier league more without kickers theres nothing wrong with that and have every right to manage thier team again because fantasy

MikeB
Reply to  MikeB

COME ON MR JACOB FELDMAN BACK ME UP HERE PLEASE

Good article, just posted it on our league site that will be ushering in a new owner after getting rid of “that guy” who was in a thorn in all our sides for years. He had survived a previous petition for his removal in 2005, and it didn’t get any better after that.
It is what it is. We just want our league to be a fun place.
Regards,
~LPC

alden bietz

Great stuff Jocob, I posted it on two Dynasty sights, its cool basic info to keep a league strong.

Keeping fun for all owners its what makes the diffrence.

Alden

Robertbobson

Great article, Jacob!

SJ

Some point about parity in a league should be made here. Leagues tend to last longer when the same top teams don’t have a strangle hold on the standings year in year out – especially in deep leagues, and especially if one of those teams is not the commish.

I can’t tell u how many teams I’ve seen leave for this reason. Obv this is hard to manage, if at all. I’ve even seen (and been the victim once) a top team owner voted out of the league do to his yearly dominance. So its a real issue

sixshooter
Reply to  SJ

Not sure where you are going with this but if it is due to consistent rule changes to keep a team dominant then I can understand your point. Otherwise…..it sounds to me like one team is simply managing their team better than the others by staying on top of things 365/24/7!

SJ
Reply to  sixshooter

I’m sure we all seen leagues fold due to one or two owners winning every year, or the bottom feeders never putting together contenders. I’m not sayin these winning owners arent excellent, I’m sayin this implies the league is incorrectly structured or mismanaged. Every team should have a chance to win eventually

sixshooter
Reply to  SJ

But if all are playing by the same rules and the rules don’t change then you obviously have some poor team owner’s so then the decision comes up as to whether or not you want to kick the owner’s out because “you” feel they are making poor decisions on managing “their” team! Generally this works itself out with the owner’s realizing their own weakness althoug one Dynasty league I am in just witnessed an owner with the first overall pick in this year’s rookie draft coming up with a very nice looking team for the future! I don’t think it is normally in the league’s best decision to kick a team out for what other’s portray as bad management! From past experiences…..this issue usually fixes itself in the end unless you have a team that is obviously tanking in which case you should have rules for and the answer is obvious!

SJ
Reply to  sixshooter

I’m sry but your reply is repetitive and doesn’t really have much to do with my comments

Bad Santa
Reply to  SJ

Parity is gained in any long running league one way, by owners decisions. We all play by the same rules. If you make stupid decisions over and over again and I don’t and I win then that is not my problem. The worst thing a fantasy league can do is change rules on the basis of parity when everyone is already playing by the same rules.

Case in point is I play ion an 11 player keeper league. We keep a starting lineup +3 but you are only allowed to keep 3 RB’s.

We had owners (in the name of parity) wanting to cut the rosters from 11 to 10. Why? Because those same owners hadn’t been able to build a winner for multiple years on their own and now want the stronger teams to throw talent back instead of actually putting a little more work into their preperation for the draft, trades, WW and starting lineups. Draft, trades and starting lineups, don’t we all have the same assets to work with at the beginning? You use them as you choose, but don’t be butt hurt when you mismanage them. It isn’t my fault.

Parity is a dirty little word in fantasy, especially when you are paying money. If I’m smarter and more savvy and spend more time on my team and I win and you don’t then so be it, I don’t pay money to get killed on Sunday. I pay to win.

If parity is what you want go play in a redraft public yahoo league. Dynasty isn’t for you.

sixshooter

Agree with the article except the trash talkin’……I have been on both sides of this and understand that fantasy football is a thing for men and not boys so if you can’t handle a little rib here or there then you are probably not cut out for fantasy football no matter if you are new to the league or not. In fact, if you are new to an existing league……you should only expect to be given a lil’ smack! Building a successful team cures all that though!!!!

Sorry to say but if you expect to join a successful fantasy league…..you should only expect a bit of smack talk no matter if you know the other owners or not! Fantasy sports is a competitive past time which many love to poke and prod their competition which makes it fun! Is there a line to cross…..of course! But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be afraid to do a lil’ smack talk and it shouldn’t matter if you or the other person is new to the league!

SJ

Rule 4: Don’t Get Offended and Insulted

… I can feel u on this one. I recently traded Ray Rice and Stephen Hill for Mathews and Blackmon in a league that I really needed a wr3 and an owner not involved in the trade immediately called foul, called me a moron and posted a veto vote for the trade. Absolutely every other owner (minus the trade recipient) proceeded to call me an idiot and it the worst trade ever. I considered leaving initially, now I just wanna woop their asses

Ive learned ray rice holds godly power in peoples minds

SJ
Reply to  Jacob Feldman

Thanks Jacob,

Unfortunately that was in a redraft league, so not sure why all the hubub from the other members. Seemed pretty fair to me.

Bad Santa
Reply to  SJ

I wouldn’t veto that trade. I wouldn’t veto any trade unless there clear bad intentions however I must say if you are dealing Ray Rice you are getting killed in this deal.

Ryan Mathews is an injury prone Darren McFadden. Consider that. He will never live up to that hype, ever.

Everyone is on the badwagon of Mathews, he’s been in the league 3 years and has only last years mediocre season to show for it and now all of a sudden he is top 5???

If I was getting Ray Rice in that deal I would do that deal with you 100 times in a row. That’s a bad deal for you bro.

Bad Santa
Reply to  SJ

That’s a redraft league you are trading Ray Rice in??? How do I get intot hat league?

Ruxin

Rule 8: Completely agree with everything in your article except this one. When you play in a fantasy football league for money, anything is legal as long as it is within the rules.

The difference between a #1 and #2 or 3 pick can be enormous most years, mainly because there is such a premium on RB studs nowadays.

Bad Santa

Some of these rules are funny. As stated we go from kids the age of 8 and grow into adults. It isn’t just “you” who needs to be the adult, everyone does.

If people have a certain view about a player it shouldn’t mean I need to change my value on a specific player. The way I see it for the majority of my roster is they are on my roster because I like them, if you want something from my roster then pay for what you want. Don’t come in half azzed with an offer looking for a handout. You like someone, pay for it. You have a need because of bye or injury, pay for it. You need someone because you want to make a run, pay for it. Don’t be afraid to use the assets at hand. Just like the low ball guy, no one likes a horder either.

As for the bragging about winning back to back 5 times over… you earn that right. You won. People need not have sore pussies and get their internet feelings all hurt.

As for being gracious in victory and defeat, I’m nto much of a believer in telling my opponent good game or having my opponent tell me good game week after week after week. If I win or lose by 60 it wasn’t a good game, someone didn’t show up. We all know what a good exciting FF game is and I don’t feel compelled in the least to tell my opponent good game. Are we here to touch tongues and rub nipples or are we here to beat our opponents into submission, hopefully causing them to do something rash that will work in your favour roster wise.

I’m nice, I love trash talk by all owners and a good league story and I manage my teams to win on Sunday’s. If owners in my leagues can’t handle it they know where the door is. It doesn’t make for less fun, what does make for less fun is the owner who is only mildly involves during the week to make their team as good as it can possibly be and then when they get absolutely destroyed tell the opponent on the message board good game. Then they go out and get trade raped because they are uninformed, not because they want to make a change.

That’s boring as hell and frustrating.

strim281

Great article,
Best comments Ive ever read on a topic discussed. Love the passion here.