Who is Rod Streater?

There’s a question that’s been being kicked around every water cooler from New York to Seattle where anyone playing in dynasty league stops to converse – who is Rod Streater?

The simple answer is Streater is a receiver from Oakland who has taken his chance in training camp and run with it. Through three preseason games, he has an amazing 18 catches for 165 yards on a gaudy 23 total targets. With Denarius Moore and Jacoby Ford both dealing with injuries, Streater has taken full advantage of starting and has become one of the biggest surprises in camp.

The amazing part of Streater’s emergence is the fact he caught just 19 passes all last year in college while playing at Temple University. His career stats at Temple aren’t that impressive, either. In two seasons, Streater caught a total of 49 passes for 882 yards and seven touchdowns. He didn’t even start at a D1 school as he transferred there after putting in time at tiny Alfred State.

If you’re looking for Streater’s numbers from the combine, you won’t find them since he didn’t participate. However, he posted the following numbers at his Temple Owls pro day:

Height: 6’2, 3/8″
Weight: 193
Hands: 10 1/4″
Arm: 32 1/8″
Wing: 77 3/8″
40 Time: 4.52
Bench Press: 18 reps
Broad Jump: 11’1″
Vertical Leap: 37.5″

As you look over the numbers, there’s really nothing there that stands out as being overly amazing. The thing Streater has is a simple love of football and a solid work ethic. He says he starting playing football at nine years old and knew it was what he wanted to do. He’s been known as a player with a solid work ethic and focus.  When you watch his highlight package from Temple, it’s obvious he has a nose for the ball as well:

Unfortunately for Streater, he was left undrafted in April, but signed with the Raiders shortly after the NFL Draft. By June, he was filling in for the injured Denarius Moore on the first team and making spectacular catches in virtually every practice, prompting us to mention him as a deep sleeper prior to the Raiders preseason opener. He certainly hasn’t made us look bad so far!

The future for Streater is very much unknown. The Raiders love Denarius Moore, but he simply can’t shake those hamstring problems. Darrius Heyward-Bey has developed into a consistent option (who thought we’d ever say that), but beyond that, the Raiders receiving corps is in flux. Jacoby Ford can’t stay healthy and Juron Criner is just now coming on late. It’s been noted that Streater has outplayed Criner, his fellow rookie teammate, in virtually every practice.

Streater is a player who you can pick up and stash on your bench for the time being, knowing that he does have some very good ability. If the injuries keep piling up for the Raiders, he’s a darkhorse candidate to give you some production as early as this season.

Dynasty leagues are all about finding those hidden gems and Streaters has certainly fit the bill so far.

Ken Kelly
coach

I picked him up a couple of weeks ago… i was upset that i didn’t get Criner in our rookie draft… hopefully i got the rookie that is going to be good there anyway.

Going back to the WR Measurement article that was done back in late May or early June, Streater gradse out with a very solid score of a 5. That puts him right in the same neighborhood as Martin (HOU), Streeter (BAL), Blackmon, and Floyd from the standpoint of physical ability. When you combine that with the work ethic and drive that it takes to go from undrafted free agent to potential starter I really like him! The waters are a little murky due to his team, but I really like him as a future WR3 with very solid WR2 value in PPR leagues.

Ray Voeller

He’s already beat out Ford in my eyes and he is nipping at the heels of D. Moore. Anyone else see Moore getting moved into slot w/ DHB and Streater on the outside ?

Reply to  Ray Voeller

I think Streater would be the slot guy in that scenario. Moore is a flat out burner. I think Streater will do what they expected out of Ford, who has been responsible for two of Palmer’s INTs this pre-season.

Joe Roads

I picked up Rod Streater almost two weeks ago. I already had Juron Criner. But, when Streater started turning heads in training camp I just had to have him. I also drafted Tommy Streeter and I also added Keshawn Martin to my roster a few weeks ago too. I drafted Chris Givens back in April. That’s five rookie wideouts that I have and I’m hoping that at least one of them pan out this season. I’m confident that all five should eventually do well. But, I have a feeling that Rod Streater may be the first “star” out of the bunch. Thanks to the Bleacher report for the heads up on Streater.

Mercenaries

How would you rate Streater compared to LaVon Brazill? I have both on my roster but will only be able to keep one of them. Which one has more potential, and which one would you say has a clearer path to playing time?

Brian
Reply to  Mercenaries

That on the surface I think is a really tough question. However, I would defer to Brazill because of Andrew Luck. I feel like Oakland is under better leadership but their QB situation could be ugly in a a few years. We all know how hard it is to come by a franchise QB. Why not roll the dice on a player that already has a very interesting prospect throwing the ball to him.

Eric MacKenzie

Oakland is a run-first, TE second offensive system. They may get away from that a bit given the lack of options at TE, but ultimately, I think best case scenario for any Oakland receiver is as a fantasy whack-a-mole.