The Benchwarmers

RISK (noun)
1. Exposure to the chance of injury or loss; a hazard or dangerous chance: “It’s not worth the risk.”

When you look up the definition of risk and think of it in the context of dynasty leagues, you automatically think of three very prominent players who have all been in the news lately. These very talented, but unpredictable players have all done the, well, predictable and reminded us all just how risky it is to own any of them in a dynasty league. In fact, it’s quite possible that each of these three players could end up on fantasy benches for the first part of the season due to their poor choices.

Let’s take a look at each situation.

When I first heard that Kenny Britt was arrested just outside a military base on DUI charges, I immediately thought of two things. First, I can’t believe he still hasn’t grown up. Second, I’m very thankful he’s not actually in our military.

Thanks to the lockout, Britt missed out on punishment last year even after being arrested three times in the off-season. You have to figure the commissioner won’t be that easy on the youngster this year. He’s now had at least seven incidents involving the police since coming into the league in 2009 – I’m not sure I’ve even driven by my town’s police station that many times since 2009.

When you consider Britt is still dealing with a rough recovery from his torn ACL and has battled hamstring injuries in the past as well, his value in dynasty leagues is going to suffer, regardless of the suspension length.

Meanwhile, Marshawn Lynch has been arrested on suspicion of DUI himself as his white van was seen weaving in traffic and nearly collided with two other vehicles on a recent brisk Saturday morning in Oakland. This is the same Lynch who was suspended three games a few years ago after getting a misdemeanor weapons charge. He also had his license taken away back in 2008 when he struck a woman with his car outside a bar in Buffalo. Oh yeah, this is also the same Marshawn Lynch who just signed a a four-year, $32 million contract with $18 million guaranteed.

There are some reports out there that much of Lynch’s contract could be voided if he’s found guilty on the DUI charge and is subsequently suspended for conduct detrimental to the team or for substance abuse. It’s going to be an interesting story to watch, especially since this could take a while to make its way through the legal system. If he is found guilty, he’s likely facing a lengthy suspension from the league as a repeat offender, regardless of what his representatives are saying at the moment.

There was a lot of concern with Lynch in dynasty leagues after he signed his deal as the fear grew that he’d go into “feast mode” instead of “beast mode,” and put on some weight in the off-season. This arrest seems to be much, much worse.

That brings us to the curious case of Dez Bryant. His mother called 9-1-1 on him last week after he allegedly hit her in the face with a hat and pulled her hair. While she now says she doesn’t want to press charges, it’s too late as he’s already been arrested on a misdemeanor charge of domestic violence. This is the same Angela Bryant who spent 18 months in prison for selling crack cocaine and was all over the news before Dez was drafted after Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland asked if she was a prostitute. While this is Bryant’s first arrest, this is far from the first time his character has been questioned.

Bryant is a hot breakout candidate this year, but this latest bit of news is troubling, to say the least. He has incredible talent, but the decisions he’s made have been less than ideal. This latest incident could land him a one or two game suspension from the league. At some point, Dez has to grow up or he’ll find himself out of the league – the only question is which will happen first.

So, now what?

With all three of these players, the answer is the same. While it may be frustrating to own them and these latest transgressions may be the last straw for you, there’s only one thing you can do – stay the course.

The worst thing you can ever do in a dynasty league is sell low, and that’s exactly what you’d be doing with any of these players at the moment. If you’ve truly had enough of their antics and are concerned they’ll do something again in the future, it’s always best to wait until they come back and post a few good games before moving them – dynasty owners tend to have short memories and a few touchdowns are always a good eraser for some bad transgressions.

Attempting to move any of these players now would alert the rest of your league there was blood in the water – good luck getting any type of decent offer for a player you’re obviously trying to unload.

On the other hand, if you’re a risk taker, each of these players could be available depending on what their owner thinks of their latest issues. If you can land one of them for below market price and can tolerate the risk on your team, it’s worth kicking the tires on.

In the end, Britt, Lynch and Bryant could end up being benchwarmers for at least week one and possibly beyond, leaving dynasty owners sick to their stomachs.

And they haven’t even been drinking.

You can follow me on twitter – @DLF_KenK

Ken Kelly
Brian

I think all these issues with Britt will ultimately help Kendall Wright. I know I am in the minority but I thought he was the best WR in this class and landed in a better spot than either Blackmon or Floyd. While Blackmon has already had off the field issues and Floyd looks to be stuck at 4th on the depth chart, Wright has had glowing reviews out of OTA’s. While it is just OTA’s he learned all 3 WR spots. I think those that have slept on Wright will regret it.

Luke

I don’t think Dez is in the same class as the other two goons.

Peekachew
Reply to  Luke

Yep- the other two have produced at a high level on the field.

Seven
Reply to  Peekachew

So your saying results on the field supersede being a scumbag. You must be a Penn State Alum…

Hawks Nest

Curious on others take. Agree all three are a risk but I consider Britt the greatest of the 3 followed by Lynch then Bryant.

Bryant this year has to straighten up and bring it considering his contract situation. Plus his infractions seem to be more immature and knuckle head

Britt and Lynch have had multiple charges against them. Britt comes across as the classic super star athlete that feels he is untouchable or above the law ….
Lynch just doesn’t seem very bright. The fact there is a clause in his contract to void over these types of incidents WOW. If you can’t keep your nose clean for millions of dollars.. WOW, all I can say.

These are of course my opinions… curious on others take.

Josh Gans
Reply to  Hawks Nest

When you have multiple injuries combined with multiple arrests and such, then yeah..I dont care how much talent you have..I stay away. I dont want Britt on my team. Pan me all you like..he just keeps proving every year what a headache it is to own the kid.

I also dont really want any part of Lynch..theres just certain players you dislike and try to stay away from..no matter how good. I havent ever truly been a Lynch believer..

And lastly, I own Dez..and thats headache enough for me.
😉

Aric

Spent the 2.11 in a startup on britt a couple weeks back… damnit

Aaron
Reply to  Aric

Really?!?!?! I hope you didn’t waste your other top picks…

RedBaron

I don’t know why you mention Dez Bryant along with those knuckleheads. He won’t even face a suspension because this is his 1st run-in with the law. And I totally view it as stemming from his mother, whom I refuse to comment on. Do you know, what she did just before he grabbed her shirt? Nobody has a chance to chose their parents. I like your site, but you do this kid wrong. He’s immature, yes, but he’s not a criminal.

Krcil
Reply to  Ken Kelly

“(defaulting on loans, getting kicked out of malls and now this)”

Sadly in this country (USA), that doesn’t make you a criminal does it? At least not the same type of “criminal” that his mother is.

And I probably point to this too often, but TO never grew up but he put up numbers constantly

Joe Roads

DUIs don’t fall under the personal-conduct policy. Drunk driving gets processed under the substance-abuse policy. And the substance-abuse policy provides that, ordinarily, a player will only be fined for a first-offense DUI.

That said, a suspension may be imposed if the league finds “aggravating circumstances,” which could in the opinion of the judge/jury/executioner include a past history of non-DUI infractions. ”Aggravating circumstances” also could arise from the contention that Lynch nearly struck a pair of cars.

Regardless, a suspension isn’t as automatic as everyone seems to believe it is. While a suspension could indeed occur, it’s not guaranteed.

Reply to  Joe Roads

You are forgetting that Goodell can basically do whatever he wants to do. Regardless of the catagory things fall into, if he gave Lynch a 3 game suspension before, I highly doubt he will give him anything something less this time around. He still got into trouble and he is still making the NFL look back.

Think about it this way. If you take your kid to the park and he pushes another kid, you’re going to reprimand him. If five minutes later he is taunting the kid he pushed, you’re going to give him more of a reprimand than you did before, not less. It doesn’t matter that they are different things. He should have learned the first time you talked to him. I’m sure Goodell feels the same way about the players. If they don’t learn the first time, he needs to step it up until they do learn.

SJ

Trade Steve Smith (CAR) in a dynasty to get Britt? On a very win now team? or is it too risky?

I guess my real question is what’s Britt current value? Obv its gone down since the start of offseason as most had Britt as a Top 15 dynasty wr.

What do u guys think? Would be good to know for those interested in possibly acquiring him.

Brian
Reply to  SJ

I wouldn’t do that. A deal similar to that is what you look for if you are rebuilding. Britt has had 3 knee surgeries in 10 months. He not only has the risk of suspension he also could start slow after recovering from an injury. On a very win now team I would take Smith every time over Britt.

Eric
Reply to  Brian

Win now team or not I would still rather have Britt. The guy is 10 years younger than Smith and while is a headache to own his future is bright if he can stay out of trouble. I would rather put the risk in having a guy grow up and be a WR1 for 10 years than a guy that is a WR2 for another year or two tops. Also the details on the whole thing haven’t been released yet so who knows what really happened. Most of those charges he has had got dropped.

Bret Farestad

So I just aquired Lynch in our leagues RFA period in April, he was Franchised so It ended costing me a 2nd from this year, a first round next year. I’m trying to figure out how many years to put on his contract, atm I’m thinking 3, just trying to regain some value. Any reason not to put 3 years on him? I don;t see it going to 4, since he’s 26 now. And I think less than that I won’t recoup the investment. Any ideas?

Jon Denny

I traded Dez Bryant, James Jones and C.J. Spiller for Brandon Lloyd, 2.3 and 2013 1st. Did I get enough back in return?

Reply to  Jon Denny

Not even close in my opinion. Lloyd, 2.3, and 2013 1st isn’t even enough for Dez let alone the other pieces. I hate to say it, but you were robbed.

Josh Gans
Reply to  Jacob Feldman

Agree wholeheartedly with Jacob..you gave way too much/got robbed.

robertdhenley
Reply to  Josh Gans

trade rape

Sofa King Dynasty
Reply to  robertdhenley

Spiller may end up being the most valuable piece in this trade at this time next season.

D R

The value of these guys seems to be all over the board, as you’d expect. Some still treat them like prize prospects, others are willing to toss them for nothing. I recently got offered Lynch and Britt for 1.3. Two months ago there would’ve been outrage over that kind of offer, now with these DUIs, who knows!

KCGuzz

You got smoked. Lloyd is good but no spring chicken. 2.3 is a total flyer and 2013- is just another lottery ticket. On the other hand, what you gave up: Bryant’s ceiling is mid WR1 for many years, floor is WR2; Jones’ value is all over the board, so no comment other than I am a big Packer fan and the guy is very talented; and Spiller- I’m not as high on him as some, but certainly will be the primary carrier for the Bills for 2-4 years starting in 2013. Next time put it on the forum first, OUCH!!

robertdhenley
Reply to  KCGuzz

i will agree that he got raped in the trade but by no means is britts floor a wr2, its kicked out the league, he cant go 6 months without being arrested, that makes his floor out of the league

Gaelen Kash

I think you need to look deeper into each of the situations if you want to really understand what is going on. And I am not saying that looking deeper will make a person look less guilty. Let’s talk about the Dez Bryant situation. If you look deeper, you will find out that Dez and his brother were arguing and as Dez swung his hat to hit his brother his mom stepped in. Then he pulled her hair trying to get around her to get to his brother. If he had just had a fight with his brother, this wouldn’t have even been news

Skip to toolbar