When Losing the Trade Battle is a Good Thing

As the offseason and your quest to improve your roster continues, you don’t need me to tell you it’s going to be very hard to make any real improvements to your roster without a few trades. I get asked many times on Twitter if I like a certain trade. I always let folks know there are two ways to grade these trades. One, you can grade it player vs. player in a vacuum, meaning just based on value. Two, you grade it in the context of your overall roster, which is my preferred method. Obviously that’s tough to do on Twitter.

I approach trades as business transactions. That means I look at it in terms of supply and demand, sale price or retail price. Each transaction is different because in one league a player may be for sale because an owner is looking to rebuild their roster. In another league, the same player may be on a roster that requires you to pay retail price or even higher to acquire him.

Let’s look at the approach from paying the retail price. In cases where improving your roster is the ultimate goal (which we tend to forget this goal at times) my strategy is to pay what needs to be paid to put my roster in the best shape to compete. Do I care if someone who has no knowledge of my roster or my strategy thinks I overpaid for a player? No. What I care about is did this trade make my roster better in my eyes. If the answer is yes, does it really matter if I had throw in an extra draft pick or player into the pot to get the deal done? Again, the answer is no.

Sometimes you really have to “make an offer they can’t refuse” to pull off a trade – that can get expensive real fast. However, sometimes it’s a necessary measure to take to your team to another level of competition.

Too often we get hung up on the term “value.” Value is good, but if the ultimate goal is to win championships, “value” needs to be strategically put aside from time to time to win.

This very subject came up in a recent trade I made. My trade target? Drew Brees. Yes, the same Drew Brees who was the overall leader in fantasy points last season. After assessing my team, I viewed it to be a star quarterback short of competing for the championship. Owners of star quarterbacks don’t usually give them away. In fact, you’ll likely have to overpay pretty drastically to close the deal. You have to come strong or get laughed at.

Let’s back up a bit and let me explain how I got here. When I took over this particular roster a year ago, I had two legitimate starters on the roster heading into the season last year – I had Matt Forte and the draft rights to Julio Jones (24 man, 12 team PPR league with six points for all touchdowns, including quarterbacks). My strategy was to turn those two players into as many valuable pieces as I could.  I needed to acquire a combination of players and draft picks and I couldn’t afford to miss on those draft picks for this plan to work. To give you a clear understanding of the mess I inherited, here is the “before” picture:

QB: Chad Henne, Kevin Kolb, Donavan McNabb, Tim Tebow

RB: Marion Barber, Matt Forte, Brandon Jacobs, Laurence Maroney, Knowshon Moreno, Dimitri Nance, Steve Slaton

WR: Davone Bess, Deon Butler, Lee Evans, Brain Hartline, Mohamed Massaquoi, Josh Morgan, Santana Moss, Kevin Walter, draft rights to Julio Jones

TE: Kevin Boss, Zach Miller (I’m leaving out defense and kicker because they don’t matter for this discussion)

Now you see the cards that I was dealt (to be perfectly honest, these are the only type of teams I like to take over since I love nothing more than a crappy roster to fix). In my first year as the owner of this team, I made calculated trade after trade with the ultimate goal to position my team to be able to make a big trade or two to position my team for competition within one year or two, tops. If I didn’t turn the team into a contender within that time frame I consider it a failure.

Between the time frame of April and October of last season, I completed eight trades to fully turnover my roster. By the time I was done with the first full year of owning the team, I felt I’d acquired enough draft pieces and players to position myself to compete for a playoff spot. Many of those trades I consider myself to be on the winning side. A select few of them, however, I took losses on.

That brings me back to the big trade – the expensive acquisition of Drew Brees.

This is a deal I will admit to overpaying on. I gave up Andrew Luck, Roy Helu, Leonard Hankerson, 2012 1.10 AND a developmental pick (rights to an NCAA draft eligible player) at 1.4 for Drew Brees, LeGarrette Blount, James Jones, and this year’s 1.5.

Like I said, I had to overpay or the deal was dead before it ever got started. Now, if you were to grade this trade in a vacuum, I’d say the guy really got over on me. However, if you look at it in terms of what it did to raise my competitive chances and factor in what this roster used to be, I consider it a calculated loss I’d do 100 times over again.

I laid out what my roster looked like “before.” Now take a look at it “after” picture. Also keep in mind this was done in the span of just one calendar year.

QB: Drew Brees, Jay Cutler, Carson Plamer, Matt Cassel

RB: Steven Jackson, James Starks, Lamar Miller, LeGarrette Blount

WR: Victor Cruz, Jordy Nelson, Brandon LeFell, Davone Bess, Kendall Wright, James Jones, Marvin Jones, AJ Jenkins, Josh Morgan, Randy Moss, David Nelson, Devon Wylie

TE: Fred Davis, Mercedes Lewis

This may not be the best team in the league, but it now has enough firepower to be taken seriously. If I were to tell you at the start of this rebuild I could turn the “before” roster into the “after” roster, would you take it? My answer is, of course, yes. Not only did I acquire enough trade pieces to give up for a superstar quarterback, I also managed to have a very competitive roster after the fact.

It is possible to turn around a hopeless roster into a contending one in one year. If you use sound trade strategy and draft well, you can do it. You shouldn’t get bogged down in the “value” conversation all the time. We play dynasty football because we are competitors and want to win championships. Sometimes we turn away trade opportunities that actually improve our rosters because it isn’t a good “value” deal or for fear of your league mates making fun of you on the message boards.

No one knows your team and your endgame better than you do. Be bold and be willing to take the “value” hit on some trades. If it puts you in a better position to fight for that league crown pull the trigger. Never lose sight of the big picture – the goal is to win championships.

They don’t give out trophies for trades.

Follow Paymon on Twitter – @SetMyRoster

Alan Bauerle

My Before:
Matt Hassleback Tim Tebow Colin Kaepernick
Legerette Blount Brandon Jacobs Stevan Ridley Bilal Powell Bernard Scott Ladanian Tomlinson
Mike Wallace Stevie Johnson Doug Baldwin Deon Branch Ramses Barden Kyle Williams
Vernon Davis Jared Cook

My after
Matt Schaub Matt Hassleback Tim Yebow Colin Kaepernick
Johnathan Stewart Ahmad Bradshaw Stevan Ridley Bilal Powell Brandon Jacobs
Mike Wallace Antonio Brown DHB Doug Baldwin Ramses Barden Deon Branch
Jared Cook Brandon Pettigrew
plus I have 1.5 n 1.7
al least in competitive now. Thanks DLF

Why Not Win Now?
Reply to  Alan Bauerle

Not bad, but keep going. QB needs addressing big time. Maybe a rookie QB slips to 1.05, or trade up to be sure. Both picks? 1 pick + DHB,Baldwin,either TE? Overpay, who cares as long as they are bench guys. I like Tebow eventually, but cut bait if it gets you up there too. 1.3 or 1.4 is all you need. Pick Wilson to handcuff/replace Bradshaw at 1.5 or 1.7 (whichever pick left). If you want to gamble, trade Ridley and Jacobs for more WR’s or other ammo for your eventual trade up in the draft. Target Gore’s owner and Ridley should get a WR3 from anyone, someone probably has a WR3 as the 5th on their team and would do it.

Why Not Win Now?
Reply to  Why Not Win Now?

Forgot, I’d target Tolbert on the very cheap. If Stewart goes down, he’ll get some action, not a true handcuff but he could get in the game for you in a pinch. What good is Jacobs doing for you, if Tolbert’s guy wants a swap, I’d jump on it.

Alan Bauerle
Reply to  Why Not Win Now?

Yeah in tryin… Now that the other owners in the league see I’m makin moves nobody wants to trade shit. So we see what happens. I know I need another qb but I have no 2cnd or 3rd rd picks. So I’ll prob take blackmon at 5 n Wilson at 7. Run with it from there.

Chris Crane

Total Makeover… Good article

Ray Voeller

I have been a firm believer in this approach even in dynasty. I pulled a similar deal off 2 years ago to land Peyton Manning. Trade got me into playoffs and a shot at back2back championships. Didn’t win but I felt it put me in great position to win. Of course the following season ( last year ) it cost me as Manning was out whole season.

Jordan Stallard

During a rookie/FA draft this year, an owner was on the clock at 3.8, and a player caught my eye that everyone was sleeping on. I knew I had to offer strong to get a trade through, so I gave Vince Brown & my 2013 3rd for the 3.8 pick and a 2013 2nd.

In a vacuum, that looked like a bad trade on my end, I was selling Vince Brown for much less than he’s worth. But after I drafted Tamme, it was all better.

Rob

Just curious what everyone things. I have p manning and m vick. Since we start only 1 qb which of the 2 should i trade off?

Reply to  Rob

personally i’d trade vick. vick has the upside, for whatever thats worth, and manning has the what if thing going big this year. vick is going to continue to drop in value because age does that quickly to a running style qb. last year he posted only 18 tds. get rid of him while you can at the peak of his value. there is less chance of failure in the eyes of your trade partner in vick so you should be able to demand a good return. and ole manning could surprise everyone and throw 30 tds? he has a great surrounding cast who he will make ever better if he comes back strong? its a chance, but thats the direction i would go.

StevieMo
Reply to  bigD

I wouldn’t trade either. Too much potential risk in both, so hedge your bets accordingly. If they both go down, that’s bad luck. If they both stay on the field, you can play matchups.

I think a lor of people are automaticallt thinking that Manning will = the old Manning. I’ll have to see that to believe it, not to mention the fact that one good hit and he could be done.

Josh Gans
Reply to  Rob

Why not wait and see? Both are injury risk/questions..worst case is both play super well and you can sell high. Worst case is both are injured and you have 2 former elite stars..or the likely middle ground which is both play well, even if not super elite, and either 1 is your backup, or you trade one off after a few weeks or the bye..etc..and get something else you need.

Josh Gans
Reply to  Josh Gans

err..best case..and then worst case 😉

Why Not Win Now?
Reply to  Josh Gans

Whichever one gets you the most value! I’d play hardball and demand their 2nd stringer back for free, they’d be cutting them anyway? You’ll definitely need a backup plan no matter which one you keep.

Kwil

Gave Green and 1.10 for TRich. Most including me agree that I may have overpaid. But for my current roster and its needs, it was a deal that had to be made.

Why Not Win Now?
Reply to  Kwil

When you neeeeed a RB, you need a RB. Why not? 1.10 is just a deal closer, not a real player yet, so who cares. You may have gotten value out of a future BUST….. Congrats!

Reply to  Kwil

i gave up wallace and my pick at 1.09 to move up and have the 1.01. everyone thought i gave the farm. but…..i have calvin and welker and wanted the franchise rb to build on. so looking at the trade as a whole i feel i did’nt give up that much. i basically just gave up wallace for richardson? i’d do that a 100 times over again.

Good topic…… beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder with trades. Some owners use a ranking system developed by themselves, a website, or both; others use what is called a SUV (Start Up Value) where the players in the trade are compared to where they would be taken if a new league. This can cause great disparity.. just look at this:

Welker/Ridley

for

Marshall/Vereen

Under SUV ranking:

Welker mid-5th rd / Ridley 10th rd

vs

Marshall late 2nd rd / Vereen 10th rd

DLF Rankings:

Welker WR11 / Ridley RB31

vs

Marshall WR17 / Vereen RB38

Knowing what system your potential trade partner uses to evaluate will greatly increase the chances for a successful trade. Depending on the color of your glasses will determine your outlook on it.

Reply to  JC Bywater

i agree, the old saying still holds water, one mans trash is another mans treasure. its all in the eye of the beholder?

Dan Malouff

I agree with the concept, I use a similar strategy, but you overpaid for the final piece too soon. The goal has to be to win championships and your team isnt good enough after the over pay. You should have continued to trade for value…even if it meant one more season of bad results (better draft pick)

Never overpay unless it is for the final piece or 2 (ussuming you have a enough to overpay for 2)

Dan Malouff
Reply to  Dan Malouff

that would be “assuming”…just in case someone cares :p

bbwayne

Looks like a lot of the roster turnover was from the waiver wire. Palmer, Cruz, Moss, Davis? This is key to me in building a roster from an orphaned team.

Why Not Win Now?
Reply to  Paymon Shokoohi

How about a list of actual trades? Plenty of space in the tubes of the inter-webs.

I don’t think it’s that much of an overpay, if at all. Helu is a WAS RB, and that’s enough said. Hank is a nice developmental WR, but the Skins just signed 2 WRs that will most likely start. The 1.10 doesn’t mean much to me as a low percentage dart throw. And you got to upgrade your devy pick 1. Nice

studstables

Even though you added Brees, I don’t think this team wins a championship…anything is possible of course. But I think your team would have been better served long term to keep what you traded away.

Pntgvn2399
Reply to  studstables

Absolutely agree!!!

Drew Swanson

Fair trade?

Team A gives: Dez Bryant, Aaron Hernandez, 2012 1.09
Team B gives: Percy Harvin, Matt Shaub, 2012 1.02 & 2.02

Reply to  Drew Swanson

team b could be giving up richardson or luck or rg3 with the 1.02? if i were team b i would counter without the 1.02 and see if he takes it. team a is getting the best of this deal hands down. i would turn this down if i was team b just because of the 1.02 pick. another player in the deal for b instead of the pick would be a better option in my opinion? just me i guess?

Why Not Win Now?
Reply to  Drew Swanson

Let’s call Harvin/Bryant equal. Shaub is worthless in my book, but a roster worthy back up at least.

Team A gets a starting RB (Martin) or QB (Luck/RGIII) for Hernandez. That’s good if they need RB or QB, or if they have a TE better than Hernandez. Picking Fleener at 2.02? Hope he makes it.

Team B Gets a Hernandez for the RB or QB rookie, and a WR prospect at 1.09. Unless Team B is set at RB and QB don’t do it. BUT, if TE is missing piece then why not?

It’s fair, but I’d try to hold on to 2.02 if I was them, not a big deal though.

Why Not Win Now?

Next move, start upgrading those RB’s by tossing in some of those young WR’s with your current starters. You only need 5 WR’s to make it through a season, and if they aren’t elite or don’t have elite potential, WR’s are a dime a dozen. SJAX and Starks need upgrading, flipping Davis wouldn’t hurt at TE either. Future picks are overrated too, with Brees on board, you won’t be picking very high anyway.

Always be trading is my motto, 1 trade opens up doors for the next. Fair value is meaningless, it’s all about having a consistent, deep starting lineup that puts up good PPG. A few players like Brees with explosive capability will then push it over the top, week to week, if surrounded by the depth.

Reply to  Why Not Win Now?

amen brother, amen

StevieMo

It’s mind-blowing how many people on here are giving up the potential of Andrew Luck based on the notion he’s “unproven” or some other rationale. There are many, many ways to skin a cat. Giving up on Luck’s vast potential is a big mistake in dynasty, although you can make a case for Brees. I still think everyone who’s trading this guy is making a huge blunder.

Chris R.
Reply to  StevieMo

You could also make just as easy of an argument that RGIII has more potential too, and he’ll hit it a lot sooner. It’s not like he’s a high risk prospect, he’s pretty safe himself in terms of bust proof.

Now in terms of the original trade, I think he was able to do this because he has Cutler as a back-up so it’s not like he’s old at the position. Everyone assumes he isn’t going to win the championship but we don’t even know what the other teams look like.

Usually takes the team who gets hot late in the season and doesn’t have a ton of injuries.

IMO since he’s gone in this direction a deal needs to be done for Pead. Hell Pead over Miller is much more important. If S Jax stays healthy he can easily make the playoffs, if he goes down and he doesn’t have Pead the season is over before it gets started. Starks can get you low end RB2 numbers all year in a ppr league.

I loved the article though, one of the best I’ve read here.

Brian
Reply to  Chris R.

Everyone is saying that RG3 is going to hit his potential quicker than Luck. I think that is a statement that is made when you only look at RG3’s side of the argument. Luck played in a pro style offense and has a better grasp of defenses than RG3. Yes Washington will put him in position to succeed but Luck is far ahead of him in that area. Also, Luck will be throwing the ball all over the place this season. Their OC is a pass first guy and Luck will have a player that he will already be on another mental level with in Fleener. The Colts have been running 4 and 5 wide in OTA’s. Also the Colts will be behind in most of their games next season and will need to pass the ball. I think there is a much better argument to be made that Luck will reach his potential faster than RG3 and will be at that potential much longer. I think both will be successful in this league but why take the chance of a lower floor in RG3 when both have about the same ceiling.

maybe hes the next alex smith too? chances are not, but its a point. with indy this kid is going to have a few years to get it in place. so did manning himself. elway did too. i know because i suffered with elway in the early years. some people put a greater value on winning now? just a matter of opinion. it is dynasty football, but some just lack that sence of patience over the sence of urgency?

StevieMo
Reply to  bigD

I guess we’ll have to compare notes in five years. Luck is no Alex Smith; he is the next great QB. I wish to God my league had a guy willing to trade Luck (like some of the suckers on here), but he’s going #1 in our September draft and the guy who holds that pick wants about what I would want if I had it (which is not even worthy of discussion). This same guy had the #1 pick the year Manning and Leaf came out and drafted Leaf because “he’s more athletic and has more upside.” I told him he was blowing that one to no end.

I wouldn’t trade the rights to Luck under any circumstances. I’ve watched his last 30 games in their entirety and he did it all without any real WR’s. He’s going to be an all-time dynasty great.

Why Not Win Now?
Reply to  StevieMo

He did it without “real CB’s” too! Ha Ha!!!!!

***He looks great for sure, hopefully his situation allows his career to blossom as you describe. Coaching is a huge factor in a player’s fantasy production – between the good and elite levels especially. And that’s pretty unpredictable, who will Luck’s coach be, 3,5,10 years from now? Stupid question, like Manning he will probably be coaching himself!!!! Gooooooooood LUCK everybody!

sixshooter
Reply to  bigD

The biggest difference between patience and urgency is how deep an owner’s roster is.

There are some teams who just need that one or two players to give them, what they feel, a chance to win it all and then there are the teams that do not feel they have a chance for a year or two and are wanting to take a chance on a rookie and hope he turns into the next Peyton Manning that they can rely on for the next 10 years. There is also the team that has a very solid starting lineup with some depth but their team is aging and they need to start getting younger.

If I just took over a team that I need to overhaul and is in dire need of a QB…..I am taking Luck unless somebody offers me the farm. If I have a team that needs some depth and can get that player I am after, then I have to consider trading that pick. If I have a team that is very solid but also very old with some depth, then I have to consider stashing a guy like Luck.

In summary, there is a time when sense of patience takes priority over sense of urgency but at the same time…..there is also a time when a sense of urgency takes precidence over all because you have to go after that trophy when have the chance. If not, another owner will likely do it and you will look back and regret it! It’s all about timing and knowing when it’s the right time to be patient or be aggressive!

Curious in Chuck

2010 roster
QB – Brett Favre, Matt Ryan
RB – Ryan Grant, DeAngelo Wiliiams, Darren Sproles, Joseph Addai, Clinton Portis, Beanie Wells
WR – Randy Moss, Anquan Boldin, Lee Evans, Jacoby Jones
TE – Dallas Clark

2012 roster
QB – Eli Manning, Andrew Luck
RB – Doug Martin, Donald Brown, Reggie Bush, Shane Vereen, Evan Royster
WR – AJ Green, DeSean Jackson, Leonard Hankerson, Greg Little, TB Mike Williams, James Jones
TE – Gronkowski

AND I own FIVE (5!!) of the top 10 draft picks in the 2013 rookie draft.

There was (is) some other junk on there: long-shot fliers.
I went from ancient to young and I have assets to trade.
Suggestions?
Criticisms?

Why Not Win Now?
Reply to  Curious in Chuck

Nice work. I’d only add, try to group James Jones and Hankerson (surplus but somebody needs them) with some future picks to grab better RB’s. If not, just draft ’em all next year.

Curious in Chuck
Reply to  Curious in Chuck

That was end of season 2010 roster and current 2012 roster.
Just for clarity’s sake.

sixshooter
Reply to  Curious in Chuck

I like what you have done! Reminds me much of the team I took over a couple years ago with the additions of younger players like Luck & Little while unloading the aging vets like Favre, Addai, Portis, Moss and Evans. Also love the stockpiling of draft picks at the same time!

Love the ancient to young with assets to trade theory! Can’t argue with what you have done so far! Nice Job!

Pntgvn2399

Well I will be the only to one to just come out and say it I guess.. That was an absolutely HORRIBLE trade on your part.. Plain and simple.. To give up that much youth and the fact that it included Luck makes no sense whatsoever.. I don’t understand your logic.. The upgrade from Cutler to Brees was not worth the depth and youth you gave away.. Just saying

sixshooter
Reply to  Pntgvn2399

Personally, I don’t like it either but can understand why the trade was made. I had Brees last year in a 12 team Auction league and he pretty much carried my team into the playoffs after the injuries to guys like Best, Beanie and Maclin followed by disappoing seasons by others such as Chris Johnson, Jermichael Finley and Dwayne Bowe.

I realize that QB’s are typically your better fantasy producers number wise but if you look at the separation between a Drew Brees and a healthy Jay Cutler as compared to a Calvin Johnson or Ray Rice to a Wes Welker (PPR) or a LeSean McCoy, the drop off is much more drastic at the WR/RB position than it is at QB. I guess it just depends on your competition and the rosters they have.

Two years ago in a 16 team re-draft league, the owner who won it all traded for Drew Brees after mid-season because he recognized that he was competing against a team who had Aaron Rodgers and therefore had that top end consistency at QB. That trade literally won him the Championship so who knows!

All of these different strategies is what makes a fantasy football league fun and challenging because you don’t always know or understand where another team is coming from but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t the right decision for their team!

I have had many who will never admit criticizing some of the decisions I have made with my Dynasty team these last couple years but I can honestly say that I feel each and every one of them (so far) have made my team better in the long run. I am sure there will be that day when I regret a former today but so far….I have unloaded the Peyton Hillis’s, Carson Palmer’s, Mike Tolbert’s and Ricky William’s at the right time to the right owner to get the best value possible!

Chad

Before:

Gradkowski, Bruce TBB QB, Leinart, Matt ARI QB ,Losman, J.P. BUF QB 263 8
Droughns, Reuben CLE RB, Harrison, Jerome CLE RB, McAllister, Deuce NOS RB, Taylor, Fred JAC RB, Toefield, Labrandon JAC RB 2 6
Turner, Michael SDC, Washington, Leon NYJ RB,
Boldin, Anquan ARI WR, Chambers, Chris MIA WR, Givens, David TEN WR, Holmes, Santonio PIT WR, Horn, Joe NOS WR, Mason, Derrick BAL WR, Moulds, Eric HOU WR,
Gonzalez, Tony KCC TE, McMichael, Randy MIA TE 76 8

5 years after:
Brady, Tom NEP QB, Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB
Bradshaw, Ahmad NYG, Green-Ellis, BenJarvus CIN RB, Jacobs, Brandon SFO, Jones-Drew, Maurice JAC RB, McFadden, Darren OAK RB (P), Scott, Bernard CIN, Scott, Da’Rel NYG RB
Amendola, Danny STL WR, Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR, Johnson, Andre HOU WR, Johnson, Calvin DET WR, Knox, Johnny CHI WR, White, Roddy ATL WR ,
Graham, Jimmy NOS TE

Lots of trading some good and some bad but won last year and looking to repeat!

Ryan Brown

This trade went down in my league (10 team non-ppr) and it took everything in me not to veto it even though the owner getting killed was pushing hard for it:

Team 1 Gave: Julio Jones, Jimmy Graham, Desean Jackson, Ahmad Bradshaw,Brandon Jacobs and pick 1.10.

Team 2 Gave: Leasean Mccoy and Earl Bennet (He refused to give Brandon Pettigrew claiming he was getting screwed in the trade if he did).

Overall one of the worst trades I’ve ever seen before and was tempted to boot both players from the league for it.

Ryan Brown

Team I took over in a 12-team non-ppr leage 3 years in:

Before:
QB – Tom Brady, Chad Henne, Alex Smith
RB – Knowshon Moreno, Joe Addai, Ronnie Brown, Jerome Harrison
WR – Steve Smith NYG, Brian Hartline, Jordy Nerlson, Jason Avant, Brandon Tate, Jordan Shipley
TE – Brandon Pettigrew, Kellen Winslow
No Draft Picks

Now (2-years later):
QB – Cam Newton, Alex Smith, Colt Mccoy
RB – Ryan Mathews, Delone Carter, Mikel Leshoure, Dan Thomas
WR – Kenny Britt, Robert Meachem, Antonio Brown, Vincent Brown, Greg Little, Greg Salas
TE – Greg Olsen, Jared Cook, Jermaine Gresham
Picks: 2.10, 3.1,3.2,4.5,4.12 and multiple firsts next year

sixshooter
Reply to  Ryan Brown

Not bad! It will be interesting to see if Cam Newton can keep it up. Matthews is expected to have giant season. Hopefully LeShoure will work out after his predicted suspension.

Not sure how Carter will work out but I drafted him last year and traded him later in the season in a trade that sent Carter, Cassel and a third for DeMaryius Thomas, Colt McCoy, Mercedes Lewis and a first. The team really wanted Cassel for some reason so I kept negotiating because I really didn’t want to get rid of Carter. Thomas was still hurt and had very little playing time so that definitely helped.

I also acquired similar players like LeShoure and Little through the draft and Vincent Brown off waivers last year.

Either way it looks like you have done well so far. You have to give up some talent to re-build which is exactly what it looks like you have done!

Great article. I joined a very unique 8 team seasonal money league 5 years ago, this will be season 6, that would on overage have 2 trades league wide a year. The first season, I was flat out told by an owner the reason they rejected my trade offer was even though they felt it was a fair offer, they did not want to get laughed at by the other owners. And that was a league wide feeling. It has since lightened up a bit but after I’ve been in 4 straight Super Bowl, winning 2 of them back to back, I am having different problems why people won’t trade with me.

Haters gonna hate!!

sixshooter
Reply to  OlingerIDPGuru

It’s not about haters hating but rather losers not wanting to manage their Dynasty team. It is much harder to trade in a re-draft league but in Dynasty I feel it is a must if you want to stay competitive. There were 7 trades in our 12 team Dynasty league during the rookie draft alone! Two of those trades involved my team.

Yes, that is a bit high as compared to previous years but it still gives an idea of how important it is to be willing to negotiate a trade. You just cannot expect to alway get what “appears” to others to be the better deal which is what this article is about.

The first of my trades involved trading the 11th overall for the 5th and 7th in the second round and some owners questioned it, some didn’t. I still got the same player I valued at 11 at 17 in Jefferey. I then traded Mercedes Lewis and my second round (#19 overall) this year and next year to another team for their second round next year and the year after so basically I traded Mercedes Lewis to swap my 2nd rd pick this year for a 2014 2nd round pick and to move up to the first couple picks in the 2nd rd next year. In doing so, I freed up two spots on my roster this year and most likely moved up in the 2nd rd next year but most of the other teams don’t have that vision when it comes to looking at another teams situation.

I needed to free up roster spots for younger players I wanted to keep and moved up in the second round next year without losing a pick all at the expense of a TE I didn’t feel I needed.

This is not the first time nor the last time another owner won’t agree with my decision but when I feel a guy like Peyton Hillis will not have a repeat year than he had the previous year, I am going to get what I can while I can before it is too late and I have yet to regret a trade in Dynasty although I am sure that day will come soon enough but if you sit on your hands in fear of looking bad, you will not likely to win a Championship unless you are in a very non-competitive league.

Owners need to worry less about what others think and do what they feel is best for their team to win that trophy!

I’m 100% in favor of the trade made, and the total makeover of the inherited team was nothing short of a minor miracle – vast improvements in ALL areas for sure!

The running back depth of this team, while FAR improved over what was handed to you, is however something to be seriously concerned about, imo. I’d personally be scared to death heading into the 2012 season with just Steven Jackson, James Starks, Lamar Miller, and LeGarrette Blount as the only RBs on my roster.

That’s just my $.02.

sixshooter

Interesting article. I acquired a Dynasty team a couple years back and the best player on my roster for fantasy points (Kurt Warner) just retired and my next best player (Ricky Williams) was coming off a great year but nearing the end so I traded the Ricky’s, Jeremy Shockey’s, Carson Palmer’s and Derrick Mason’s on my team mostly for draft picks because I gave myself three years before I would be competitive considering the fact that my team had absolutely been trade raped the year or two prior and I didn’t have a rookie pick until #15 the first year which I used on Tim Tebow!

However, I took a different strategy…..instead of trading away the farm for a Drew Brees, I stockpiled a few draft picks, traded for guys like Jay Cutler/Fred Jackson and acquired guys like Mike Tolbert and Peyton Hillis off the waiver just before they had decent seasons based on extensive research. I then took the Fred Jackson’s, Mike Tolbert’s and Peyton Hillis’s and traded them for other players and/or draft picks.

This has worked out extremely well for me since when you are taking over a cruddy dynasty team, those multiple younger players and draft picks to me, are much more valuable than going after a single proven player because you are building for the future and if you do your research and pay attention, at least one or two of those younger players/draft picks (if not more) are going to bring you more value to your roster than that one player in the long run.

One thing to be considered here is that the roster of the team I took over was actually considerably worse than the roster of your team but the whole key to Dynasty is to balance the ability to build for the future while being competitive today and I just didn’t have the ability to have a competitive team that first year.

However today, I have the likes of younger players in DeMaryius Thomas, Greg Little, Eric Decker, Andrew Luck, Mikel LeShoure, etc, etc, etc to go with the Jay Cutler’s, Jahvid Best’s and Shonn Greene’s. I may or may not be at that championship level just yet in an extremely competitive 12 team league with 27 roster spots but I definitely have youth on my side.

Either way……this was a very interesting article because I believe we just gave two completely different ways to rebuild a Dynasty team that has not been managed properly prior to the acquisition. It would be EXTREMELY interesting to see which strategy brings the first Championship!!! I am not convinced either way just yet……Hopefully each of our strategies work out for both of us!!!

sixshooter

Here is the roster before I took the team over after the 2009 season:

QB – Kurt Warner, Carson Palmer, Jake Delhomme

RB – Shonn Greene, Willis McGahee, Ricky Williams, Heath Evans, LenDale White, James Davis

WR – Devin Hester, Chad Ochocinco, Derrick Mason, Johnny Knox, Juaquin Iglesias, Marty Booker, Deion Branch, Bobby Wade Devery Henderson, Mark Bradley, Greg Camarillo,

TE- Jeremy Shockey, Desmond Clark, Alge Crumpler

K – Joe Nedney, Jay Feeley

D – Bears, Seahawks

The previous teams’ name was Urlacher’s Sacker’s if that tells you anything….LOL!

My current roster:

QB – Jay Cutler, Colt McCoy, Andrew Luck, Tim Tebow, Ryan Tannehill

RB – Shonn Greene, Willis McGahee, Benjarvus Green-Ellis, Stevan Ridley, Mikel LeShoure, Jahvid Best, Mario Fannin, Curtis Brinkley, Joe McKnight, Tim Hightower

WR – DeMaryius Thomas, Vincent Brown, Greg Little, Eric Decker, Mohammad Sanu, Alshon Jefferey, Devin Hester, Johnny Knox

TE – Ben Watson, Julius Thomas, Rob Housler, Joel Dreesen

K – Matt Prater

D – Bears, Broncos

I have to trim this roster from 30 players to 27 players before the start of the season but I think the point to be made is what the roster was like before. Although it did have some productive players such as Palmer, Warner, Williams, Mason and Ocho (which were the top 5 fantasy producers on the team)…..they were all pretty much nearing the end of their career. Warner retired but I was able to trade Williams, Mason, Palmer and Ocho all before the got let out of their tires! Also was able to trade Shockey!

I feel I have improved the team immensely but have a ways to go before I will be looking to trade away the farm for an aging veteran. I actually think this team has quite a bit of talent and if I keep adding younger players with potential, I should be competitive maybe even as soon as this year which was my goal when I took the team over!