Who is Lestar Jean?

It’s May and this is typically the time where news is pretty slow. However, every once in a while there’s a blip we just can’t ignore. Lestar Jean has been on our radar for a bit and he’s starting to make so much noise that we can’t ignore putting something out there to answer a very important question.

Who is Lestar Jean?

Simply put, Jean could be one of this year’s major sleeper candidates. As our own Ken Clein pointed out in his article today, Jean has been working as a starter in practices opposite Kevin Walter while Andre Johnson recovers from injury. While that in of itself isn’t that newsworthy, what he’s showing in practice is.

Before going too far ahead, let’s go back a bit.

Jean is a product of Florida Atlantic, where he was a teammate of Cardinals tight end Rob Housler. In his four year career there, he posted 146 catches, 1,992 yards and fifteen touchdowns. Those aren’t exactly mind boggling statistics, but he did post a nice line of 64/988/8 in his last season at FAU and was named their most improved player in the process. Jean was named to the All-Sun Belt Second Team in 2010 as he led FAU in receptions and yards. He was also fourth in the conference in receptions per game and led the league in yards per game with an average of 82.3 yards per contest.

He was invited to the 2011 NFL Scouting combine and posted the following results:

Height: 6’3″
Weight: 215
40 Yrd Dash: 4.61
20 Yrd Dash: 2.63
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
Vertical Jump: 37 1/2
Broad Jump: 9’05”
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.43
3-Cone Drill: 7.45

Those numbers weren’t exactly a glowing endorsement of elite talent and he was knocked for his inability to separate, despite his prototypical size. He was also criticized pretty heavily for his route running, which many scouts found to be extremely raw. In fact, many of those same scouts felt he would simply try to muscle his way free at the NFL level and struggle doing so. The FAU routes he ran also were perceived to be far from NFL quality as many of them were simply of the sideline variety. Jean has been quoted as saying he just ran “9” routes since Pee Wee football because nobody could stop him. While that’s great, it also likely stunted his development.

All those concerns led to Jean going undrafted and signing with Houston in late July of last season. Unfortunately, his season was cut short by a shoulder injury. What’s telling is that the Texans didn’t stash him on their practice squad – they likely knew he’d be signed by someone else after he flashed some ability in last year’s camp before getting injured.

Coming in to this season, not much was expected of Jean. After all the Texans spent two high draft choices on receivers DeVier Posey and Keshawn Martin. However, it’s been Jean who has been making play after play in practices, earning him the nickname of “Big Play.” At the very least, he should battle those two for third receiver duties left vacant by the departure of Jacoby Jones. In fact, he may get the first shot at the gig.

The ceiling could be higher, though.

The Houston Chronicle has quoted wide receivers Coach Larry Kirksey to say, “The kid has really put time in as far as preparing himself. He has engulfed himself in the offense. He knows all three positions. His attention to detail is excellent. He’s got a ways to go, but so far we like what we see.” He also went on to compare the Andre Johnson and Lestar Jean situation to what he saw with Terrell Owens and Jerry Rice where after a while you couldn’t tell the difference between the two.

Whoa, now. Tap the brakes.

It’s not time to go crazy with Jean thinking he’s the next Terrell Owens or even the next Victor Cruz (though the starts to their NFL careers are eerily similar), but it is time to start thinking about adding Jean to your list of sleepers or even your current roster in a deep league.

We were planning on featuring Jean within a group of sleepers at the end of the month, but news is coming out so fast on him that it’s impossible to wait any longer. While you have to take everything with a grain of salt with news so slow this time of the year and fight yourself against overreacting to different bits of news, it’s time to take note.

Ken Kelly
Ron Williams

I picked up Jean on the WW a few weeks back, and boy am I glad I did. Just gave up a king’s ransom for Rice (Overpaid a bit, but that’s what you do when you want elite talent.) I gave Fitz, JStew, and Luck. I got Rice, Dwayne Allen and Lance Kendricks (1.5ppr for TE’s). The topper of the deal was that the other owner would only pull the trigger if I included Jean. So I like to say that Jean landed me Ray Rice. 🙂

StevieMo
Reply to  Ron Williams

Fitz, JStew and Luck for Ray Rice and little else? That’s a blunder of historic dynasty proportions.

You just traded away a 14 year career for the next Peyton Manning, a running back who will likely outperform Rice in a couple of years, and a Top 5 WR. And Baltimore just told Rice they’re not going to give him the Peterson/C. Johnson payday.

Absolutely one of the worst dynasty trades I’ve seen in my 25 years playing the game.

Brian W.
Reply to  StevieMo

It’s not that bad. Fitz and Rice are comparable, but the edge clearly goes to Rice until the Card’s can figure out how to get Fitz’s #’s back to the Warner glory days. It may be a long wait. I won 2 leagues with these guys on my team. Both were consistent, but Rice was the MVP.

Stewart outperforming Rice in a few years is laughable. He’s got a 3 or 4 years left like every other RB in the league. What is Rice 1 year older? Rice wins in the durability department as well.

Luck? He appears good, but QB’s are really overrated in fantasy. YES, you want an elite QB, obviously. But in a 12 team league, the 6th best in the league is only average. If Luck reaches that level, good for him. It’s no lock though. My long fantasy experience tells me that nobody gives fair trade value for QB’s because you really only need 1 to play, and there are 32 to pick from. Plus every year new blood is introduced via hot rookies and backups getting to a chance to start.

Would have been nice to keep Luck, or get the guy he’s replacing back for him. Depends on your roster though. You need 3 RB’s and 1 QB to make it trough the season after all.

Chad
Reply to  StevieMo

Wow Steve. A bit harsh on the criticism there. If he likes Ray Rice, he needed to pay for him. You don’t know for sure that Luck will be great. I have doubts that you’ve been playing fantasy football for 25 years by the way. Ease up on others who don’t share your opinion. Besides, it is just a game.

StevieMo
Reply to  Chad

No, I’ve been playing dynasty for 25 years. I’ve played fantasy for 27 years.

tmaleman

fantasy doesnt mean dynasty

StevieMo
Reply to  StevieMo

Our league was the first to play dynasty — in 1988.

tmaleman
Reply to  StevieMo

that almost as laughable as al gore claiming to have invented the Internet. keep trolling, bud

StevieMo
Reply to  StevieMo

Tell you what, Tom. Let’s bet $10,000 on it and I’ll send you our first year’s dynasty rules and scoring from the entire 1988 season.

Reply to  StevieMo

i’ve been playing since ’89-’90 when emmitt smith was my second round rookie pick and everyone laughed. but our commish at the time had been doing a league when marino was slinging saugages around from the mid ’80s? it was called rotisserie football? and started in the 70s?

StevieMo
Reply to  StevieMo

No, we were the play the dynasty version of the game (entire roster retained), not the first to play fantasy football. We’ve been looking for an older dynasty league for 6 years now; the 2nd oldest we found (through this site) started the following year, in 1989.

Still willing to wager any naysayer.

Reply to  StevieMo

ours (dynasty) started ’89-’90 i was in on the inagarual season. nice to hear from one of the grandfathers of dynasty ball. hats off to ya steve

StevieMo
Reply to  Chad

That’s awesome, BigD. That’s tied for the 2nd oldest we’ve seen. Of course, when we started playing it, “dynasty” wasn’t the term. We called it the “Oakland Perennial Football League”, meaning “year after year.” Oakland Dynasty Football League would have sounded better, I think. But we still call it the OPFL as we head to Season 25.

Reply to  StevieMo

the game itself(fantasy football) actually started in 1962…ironically in oakland by 2 sports writers (ross, stirling) from a idea of a NY business man and sports enthuesist (winnkelman)…@ffindex. 1994 issue

StevieMo

Birth of Fantasy Football: http://www.fantasyindex.com/toolbox/birth

amoo
Reply to  StevieMo

The next Peyton Manning? The guy hasn’t played a single down in the NFL and you’re annointing him a hall of famer? He’s still a PROSPECT. And Stewart is very UNlikely to outperform Rice in a couple of years. The guy can’t stay healthy in a committee, what makes you think he can hold up for 300+ carries like Rice can? Fitz is obviously a stud. Did he overpay? Yup. But there are 4 STUD RBs (5 if AP were healthy) in fantasy football. The price is going to be high to obtain one. Not the worst trade ever.

Meens
Reply to  amoo

i think the guy lost that trade, that being said if Luck is more Matt Ryan than Peyton Manning, and Stewart continues to be the most over valued player in Dynasty then the trade isnt that terrible. That being said I think just Fitz and Luck for Rice is a loss.
Stewart is definitely a nice high upside player as a cherry on top especially if DeAngelo gets hurt this year or next.

sean mcguigan

dude I am sorry but in my eyes you didn’t overpay just a bit you overpaid a ton!!! Elite WR a RB who next year probably will be top 10 a almost surething elite QB in 3 years and a good sleeper? Seems nuts to me but I don’t know rest of your roster so maybe you could afford to lose all this talent and just needed a RB1 to put you over the top….I hope so for your sake….WOW

Coach
Reply to  sean mcguigan

stewart was supposed to be a top 10 next year for the last 3 years. color me unimpressed. if you want a top 3 running back you gotta pay. it wasn’t that bad of a deal.

and i like how “luck is the next peyton manning”… i’ll believe that when i see it.

Matt Wertz
Reply to  Coach

keep your eyes open buddy.

Pete

Yeah, that was a pretty bad trade.

Also, we will be asking “who is Lestar Jean?” next year as well.

The guy is a mediocre talent. Too much hype at OTAs this year.

Jeff Coffey

Wow, I hope you already had an elite young QB (Stafford or Newton maybe?), at least 2 other legit WR1s, and were just looking for a RB1 to carry you to a championship. Otherwise your trade partner just made the deal of the decade for himself! Rice’s career will be short with the pounding he takes and his high number of touches, Allen is destined to be the blocking TE in Indy, and Kendricks has shown nothing more than raw talent so far. Good luck!

Brian W.
Reply to  Jeff Coffey

I agree that he better have good WR’s and QB to make that deal. IF he does, why not? However, I’d do the other side of the deal too, but really only if I was desperate for WR help and a QB.

Stewart is fool’s gold. The definition of a player that’s just good enough to get you beat!

Why Not Win Now?
Reply to  Brian W.

If stewart is starting for you every week………. the rest of your team better be pretty good! Unless you have Calvin and Rice to carry you!!!!!!!!!!!

Viva TEAM RON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a little preview of some statistical analysis that I’ve been working on. If you put any faith into measurables, Jean doesn’t have any of the characteristics of a top 25 WR aside from his physical size and vertical leap. When compared to the top 25 WRs from last year, he would have the slowest 40 time other than Welker, worst Shuttle, worst cone drill, and second worst broad jump. He just doesn’t fit the profile. Not saying it won’t happen. I just think it is a lot of hype for playing in shorts.

Reply to  Jacob Feldman

I know a guy (not on this site) who’s got measurables and college production pretty locked down to predict future NFL success from a statistical perspective. He hit Denarius Moore square on the head last year prior to the draft.

The most important thing to remember is that whatever statistical analysis there is, there are always exceptions…. always. Statistics are just playing probabilities.

Like Ken mentioned, anyone getting buzz like this is worth monitoring.

Ron Williams

Wow. Expected the criticism, but that’s just a bit over the top. I didn’t give any background. I didn’t list my roster. I didn’t explain the league at all. I wasn’t looking for a response. I was merely pointing out that there is a TON of hype around Jean.

For the record, I am an owner who NEVER overpays for talent; even in a situation when you expect to have to do that. This is a new startup league that I’m co-commish of. It’s an IDP league. I decided that I would play this one a bit different then my other leagues. I would make most of my starup picks PBA, and then trade for the guys that I wanted. Wait til you hear the OTHER deal I made. lol… AJG, DMart, and a 2013 1st for Calvin…

I’m not in this league to make money. I’m in it to have fun. It’s not fun when I target the SAME guys with the SAME philosophies in every league that I’m in. I knew I was giving up a ton for Rice. I don’t own him in any of my other leagues. I didn’t get to draft him and didn’t want to pay the price needed to acquire him. In this league, I just decided to go for it. So yes, I have Vick (who I like this year and next), Freeman (who I “think” will bounce back), Russel Wilson (took a flier) and Ryan Mallet (took a flyer). I have Calvin as my WR1 with a few WR 2/3 guys and some rookies who I hope will step up. I also have a nice core of young IDP’s in an IDP heavy scoring system.

In closing,
If I had wanted somebody to jump all over me about how horrible a trade is was, I would have posted it in the forum. I’m not an idiot. I “assumed” that I was commenting on a Jean thread and made a point of how his value is somewhat hyped. Now this has turned into a “What a horrible trade” thread.

I’m sorry about this, Ken. I REALLY enjoyed your article, and didn’t intend for my comment to become a thread hi-jacker.

DLF_KenK
Reply to  Ron Williams

No problems there!

As always, I just ask that everyone keeps an open mind in regards to trades, player analysis or articles. Discussions about specific trades are best kept for the forums, but on occasion, something does erupt. That’s OK, too.

The beauty of this site is our ability to share opinions. I’d just ask everyone to stay constructive and respectful, as per usual.

Cyrus Miller
Reply to  Ron Williams

I don’t understand how you are surprised by the criticism or how that trade had anything to do with Jean.

The reason everyone is posting about that trade is because the majority of the people posting would have accepted it without Jean, without even blinking an eye. I love having an RB1 who is a stud, but there is no way I would give up three elite players to get one. Yes, Luck is a rookie and Stewart is in a RBBC, but both have elite talent. Fitz is a top 5 WR, people predict Luck will be elite in a year, and Stewart has people that love him and hate him.

In my startup IDP dynasty drafting right now, for example, Rice went 1.03, Fitz went 1.08, Luck went too early at 3.06 and Stewart went 3.07. You basically gave up a late 1st, a 3rd and a 4th or 5th to get a top 3 1st.

The other trade you made is equally bad, or maybe even worse, according to this startup ADP. Calvin went 1.06, AjGreen went 1.11 and Doug Martin went too early at 2.07. So you gave up a 1st and 2nd in a startup and a future 1st to get Calvin. Most people would be thrilled to have AJ Green.

It looks like you traded your 1st (Fitz), 2nd (AJ Green), 3rd (Martin), 4th (Stewart), 5th (Luck) and a future 1st to get Calvin and Ray Rice.

I commend you for your original team, as all of those players would be considered value where you drafted them (compared to my startup draft), but I think you were much better with the depth.

StevieMo
Reply to  Ron Williams

I respect you for putting it out there, Ron, and also for standing in the pocket, taking a few shots. You gotta understand that if you spell out a trade here, people are going to respond. In our league, there would have been rioting in the streets over that trade, particularly since shelf life for NFL running backs has been ever-shortening and teams are going to committees to maintain the health of their players. Rice has carried quite a load and he probably has 2-3 years remaining of top rated production (see Frank Gore, Steven Jackson, DeAngelo Williams, et al.). I do think Stewart will end up a RB2 (possibly 1) — this year notwithstanding. Fitzgerald would still bring monster trade value in our league at his age. Luck is the most highly touted QB coming out since John Elway and I watched all of Luck’s games the last 2+ seasons (beast). You can’t say he hasn’t proven anything yet; that has nothing to do with it. You need to also take into account value coming in now, after a year or two and beyond. To trade him now because he hasn’t played yet is a complete misread of potential value and you can make a serious case that Luck for Rice would be a straight-up deal if the other owner was seeking a 14 year likely superstar. But of course all of this is just everyone’s opinion but that’s part of the fun. Don’t be sensitive if there’s some smack talk and blowback. It’s part of the sport.

Why Not Win Now?
Reply to  StevieMo

I love these debates. Everyone on this site seems very knowledgable, making it the best for addicts like me!

I think both trades are weighted against Ron, BUT I’d have done them too! Especially the Calvin trade. He should really go #1 or2 in a start up behind Rodgers if you’re a QB lover. Only thing is that AJ may be that good too, soon.

Stewart..blah.
Luck, I know, I know 15 years blah, blah. QB’s trade values suck. The other day, a guy here got so little interest in Vick, he was going to trade him for J.Cook TE!!!! Vick can get a decent roster to the playoffs, but no takers?

Reality is, Luck needs to be GREAT, really GREAT, top 3 QB or else he’s just another Eli/Ryan/Cutler/Rivers/ECT. They’re all great QB’s but they won’t fetch a RB2 in my league. Only 12 QB’s play, only 2 needed per team, leaving 12 starters left to speculate as FA’s or are worthless 3rd stringer on the trade market. Everybody already has a QB in my league, or are drafting 1, hope springs eternal!!

In 6 years of my league, 1 QB has been taken in the 1st round! Bradford at #7 by a desperation case.

Matt Wertz
Reply to  StevieMo

Sport? LOL, this is fantasy football, not a sport.

StevieMo
Reply to  Matt Wertz

Speak for yourself.

sean mcguigan

as I said didn’t know your roster or situation now we do so be it….still think the trade was brutal but doesn’t really matter your not in it to win so why waste energy….wish you were in my league though

PS chances this guy pans out are slim to none and slim just left town

Ron Williams

Send the invite. Never said I wasn’t in it to win it. Just a different philosophy this time around. Say it with me now, “Just because people are different, does not mean that they are wrong.”

🙂

I’ll be waiting…

Why Not Win Now?
Reply to  Ron Williams

VIVA TEAM RON!!!!!!!!!

Never stop trading, especially for superstars! Whatever it takes. Calvin will retire with the guy who drafted him in my league, no matter what the offer.

Why Not Win Now?
Reply to  Why Not Win Now?

A B T. “Alway be trading”, and never look back.

Screw “fair value”, you’ll never close a deal for a superstar if you’re hung up on that stuff. People forget, the more players you give away for 1,, the more roster spots for prospects and in season FA’s you get (they are part of the “trade” too).

“Coffee is for TRADERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

sean mcguigan

I wish I could invite you 16 team keeper with basically same guys(all went to high school together) for 15 years….maybe somehow miraculously that trade works out but if you asked a 100 fantasy players who know anything 99 would say that trade was one sided that is for sure….actually surprised it went through and commish didn’t throw it out…it would not have gone through in my league…good luck with it though

Admin

Love to see the passion erupt in early June in the comment section of a wait-and-see/stash player article 🙂

Carry on fellas, just another reason to love dynasty fantasy football.

Beefcake

THIS is why I like this site, a deeper analysis of sleeper potential, instead of all the other sites that insist sleepers are in the category of Denarious Moore, Brandon Lloyd and MWTB…all starters. For deeper leagues, these articles and insight are golden.

Thanks

Ron Williams

Oh. I got V. Brown in the Rice deal, too. That makes it better, right?

😀

I appreciate the banter though guys. I knew I’d get ripped. I’d be on board with the ripping. In the future, I’ll keep my trades from “that league” to myself. lol…

GregOfTheDead

love this article, my league has WIDE open waivers during the offseason so I snagged jean right away – these articles are appreciated!!

Why Not Win Now?
Reply to  GregOfTheDead

They are good. I wish I listened about Denaryious Moore last year!

sixshooter
Reply to  Ken Kelly

Couldn’t agree more Ken! The news of Jean has been out there for sure for the last couple weeks but the same can be said for just about any other rookie. Especially in situations like this, I have seen where the Andre Johnson returns and you never hear another word about the “fill in” player until he is finally released or placed on the practice squad. Typical hype coming from camps that may or may not be accurate.

But what I find most funny is that a writer will throw an article like this out about every rookie and then say “I told ya so” a year or two later which I have seen on pretty much every fantasy site so often it becomes difficult to read between the lines.

Ya can’t pick up every player that a site posts a positive article about because a roster just isn’t deep enough to stash all of them and you often end up dumping a better player during final cuts! Further research is certainly required.

Either way…..if this is truly another “just supplying information on a player” then pleeeeaaase don’t post another article next year saying I told ya so! If you are truly excited about a player and honestly believe he is “GOING” to be a stud then say so.

Otherwise these type of articles become too much, too often and get lost in the shuffle!

Maybe need to categorize them by: must add, should add, might want to look at, etc, etc, etc instead of lumping them altogether with an opportunity to pat yourself on the back in the next year or two.

Think about it from those trying to get something from a site and I think you will better understand.

Not knocking the article because I 100 percent agree but rather just offering advice from the other side!

It is quite easy actually to throw a bunch of names that are coming up in the media but it is much more difficult to place them into categories as to where you feel they should actually be rated as compared to the same articles written about the other players in camp who are standing in camp due to performance, extra practice time due to injury, etc, etc, etc.

stolenmeat

I added Jean a day before this article was posted. Any time someone gets hype and you have a roster spot, it’s worth taking a chance. You can always drop them later on, but if they pan out it’s a lot harder to get them off someone else’s roster.

I only added Antonio Brown because Emmanuel Sanders wasn’t available… I added Denarius Moore based on camp hype. I hung onto Demaryius Thomas through almost 2 whole years of injuries. If only I had this kind of skill with choosing running backs… can anyone say Mike Tolbert? bleh

Jason

Where would Jean be ranked in this rookie draft

love the article, and love the banter as much too. thats why i come here always first. take it easy Ron, i’ve been nailed here too, and like you said, i’ve done my share of nailing also. i guess you have to say what looks good for one my not to the next guy? i will often make a trade that seems that i gave up too much when in fact the whole basis of the trade was too clear room for a great FA prospect or 2. my philosophy is why cut someone who has great potential if you can get something back and still land FAs? i do feel you may have given up alot in both trades, BUT….you cant argue about what you got back. the point is you gave up a ton of potential?????(which is what dynasty is all about, and thats why these guys are freakin out.) BUT….you got the top 3 rb in any start up draft, and you got the #1 wr barnone in the nfl. so did you lose??? HELL NO. did you give up alot of potential? yes. so now your job is to use all that 25 years of experience and go fishing for some new surprise talent. that is dynasty football at its best. good luck too you.(no pun intended)

sean mcguigan

Denarius Moore has a lot of upside no doubt but you guys are making it sound like he is a WR1 already…….not even close and has to deal with an awfully crowded WR situation and a mediocre qb on a run first team….if he puts up WR2 numbers it will be probably be the ceiling D Thomas completely different animal clear number 1 with p manning and what will more than likely be a wide open offense……he could be a top 5 WR this year and barring injury floor is still probably low end WR1……..

Ps check out his trade I got to get Thomas in the stretch run last year I traded henne grant and coltston for Thomas matt Ryan Ben Tate AND a first round pick……that the opposite of Ron’s trade right? It literally made me a contender this year(since traded Tate and Ryan for other needed pieces)……..only reason league let it go is guy was in playoff hunt and just needed a WR to complete roster(he took second)……….best trade I will ever get that is for sure

Team Canada

Hey Ron, you ok there? haha, anyways don’t see how it was THAT bad of a trade…. b4 the trade your best RB was Jstew and you had the depth to give Luck. The other team got a QB they clearly needed and a true WR1. Both teams got what they wanted, and Jean wasn’t the deal breaker 😉

KJ

I wished this guy was in my dynasty league. What a horrible trade!

Ron Williams
Reply to  KJ

Like I said before… Send the invite. 🙂

Reply to  KJ

this guy has ray rice and calvin johnson on his team from that terrible trade. ????? really????? you want those together on the same team and want to face them twice a year? ok ….not me.

Team Canada
Reply to  bigD

except his IDPs don’t scare me one bit 😉

Reply to  Team Canada

never got to excited over IDPs. they are like socks, you can wear em or you dont have to makes no damn difference unless its a wedding. get the drift?

Lee Womack
Reply to  bigD

IDPs may not be exciting but in the league Nathan, Ron, and I are in, let’s just say IDPs matter a heck of a lot. I’d say the the top 100 player split from 2011 is 50%IDPs. Jared Allen was #3 overall scorer, JPP #6, and D’Qwell Jackson was #17.

Meens
Reply to  KJ

aww man KJ, you’d probably rip him off and dominate him all day! You’d just kill him with your much stronger knowledge of the future of football players. Give it a rest dude.

Skip to toolbar