The DLF Mailbag

Welcome to the latest edition of the weekly mailbag.

Send me your questions using the DLF Mailbag Form and I’ll include the best in future articles.  Remember the guidelines to have the best chance at seeing your question get posted:

1.) Dynasty questions only, no start/sit questions

2.) Help me help you by providing sufficient information about your league (e.g. line-up requirements/PPR or non-PPR/etc.), and include your first name and where you’re from.

Let’s get to it!

1.)  My salary cap league has a sliding scale for rookie contract amounts.  Each pick is a little cheaper than the last.  In this draft do you feel that paying the premium for the earlier picks is worth it or better to save some money with a later selection?Nathan in the Great White North

While that’s not an uncommon salary cap rule, it’s hard for me to answer your question without a lot more information.  In general, here are some things I’d consider:

• Regardless of the salary scale, Trent Richardson is worth every penny.
  • For salary cap, T.Rich is in a tier by himself.  The next five guys are all fair game for me.  That’s Luck, RGIII, Blackmon, Floyd and Martin.  People will have personal preferences and differing team needs but I like them all more of less the same.  I do have Martin as the first among equals however.  So, if you want to game the system and trade down in this range to save some money, be my guest.  Just don’t trade below 1.06.
  • After the top six, your guess is as good as mine.  I haven’t seen any consensus in this range and players go 1.07 in one draft and 2.02 in another.  That tells me you can absolutely trade down for value here as well.  The one exception is David Wilson.  He seems to have carved out a bit of his own tier right after the elite guys.  Although not always, he seems to go 1.07 fairly frequently.

My word of caution would be not to be penny wise and pound-foolish.  If there’s a guy you like or even just have a gut feeling about, take him.  A couple of spare cap dollars never won a salary cap league championship.

2.)  I’m in the third year of my dynasty league; I got frustrated and blew up my roster.  All I have left is Bradford, Welker and Gresham (we roster 23).  But I have the 1.01 through 1.05, the 1.07, 1.08, the 1.11, 1.12 and the 2.01.  Also, I have an offer on Welker for Dez.  What would you do? Jason in Indy

You sure did blow it up! The good news is you have a slew of picks in a very juicy rookie draft.  Let’s make the most of them.

I’d use all of the top five in this situation.  My picks would be Richardson, Martin, Luck, Floyd and Blackmon.  Please don’t fall victim to the RG3 temptation.  The only circumstance where I have RG3 close to Luck is in salary cap.  You aren’t going to contend in 2012 anyway, so take the long-term promise of Luck.

I’d try to move out of all the rest of the picks for young veterans.  My guess is that people in your league will be chomping at the bit to participate in the draft and that works in your favor.  I’d target guys such as CJ Spiller, Jonathan Stewart, Percy Harvin, Jeremy Maclin, and Brandon Marshall.  None of these guys carries the super elite prices of an AJ Green or Jimmy Graham, but they will be safe components of your team as it matures.

If you can’t move out of one of the later firsts, I’d consider taking Coby Fleener.  I’m struggling to figure out any reason that this guy won’t be successful in the NFL.  I don’t feel that he has elite talent, but I have his floor as about the TE8 in 2013 and beyond.  He’d be nice to pair up with Gresham.

As to the Welker for Dez deal, yes I’d take it.  I have Welker and Dez back to back in my rankings and given your unique situation age is a huge factor.

3.)  Matt Schaub is my QB.  I’ve been offered the 1.02 for Fitz/1.12.  Is it worth it given I’ll be able to pick Luck?  Jeff in Louisville, KY

No!  If anyone should be adding picks to the deal it’s the guy giving you the 1.02.  Larry Fitzgerald is a borderline first round selection in start-up drafts.  I don’t care how badly you need a quarterback – this isn’t the way to get it.

Anyone that you take at 1.02 (be it Luck or RG3 or even Richardon) needs to prove that they are fit to carry Fitz’s pads.  You would be trading away one of the elite players in fantasy (and the NFL) for an unproven rookie.  I don’t care how good these guys look, rookies bust.  While I don’t think any of those three will, you shouldn’t have to pay like this for the honor of taking on that risk.

Separately, you have good reason to be concerned about Schaub.  He worries me too.  Those middle foot injuries are notoriously hard to shake.  I’d wait until the 1.12 is OTC and see what sort of deal you can cut for a mid-level QB like Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers or Tony Romo.  Play the committee game with these guys for a bit.  You should be able to get one of them cheaper than what you’ve been offered and they probably out perform Luck in 2012 anyway.

4.)  I dealt the 1.01 rookie selection for Dez Bryant and a 2013 first that will be middle of the pack.  How’d I do?  Kevin in Colorado

Any other year this would be a slam-dunk in your favor, but with Trent Richardson on the board it’s murky.  I have no doubt that Richardson’s ADP in start-ups will be at least a round higher than Dez Bryant’s.  The question then becomes whether you feel the 2013 first makes up that gap.  It wouldn’t for me.

First, Dez isn’t a legitimate WR1 in either fantasy or the NFL.  He’s a high end WR2 and an every week starter, but he’s not elite.  Dez is not in my top 15.  I’ll take guys like Brandon Marshall and Percy Harvin over Dez.  I know that I’m in the minority on this however.

Second, any capable RB1 is worth far more than a low end WR1.  If Richardson struggles, I see his floor, in terms of value, as being similar to Ryan Mathews.  Richardson is the only game in town in Cleveland and he will get every chance to succeed.  Debate his skills if you want, but the opportunity is supreme.  And of course not that many people are debating his skills anyway.

Finally, except in extremely rare cases, I don’t buy in to trying to predict where future picks will fall.  You say it’s “middle of the pack,” but that doesn’t factor in for me.  Right now a 2013 first is a 2013 first.  Those are being traded in my league right now for 2012 seconds as people want to get back in to the draft.  Not enough for me to give up a shot at an elite RB who I also believe has a high floor.

5.)  I have the 1.05 rookie selection and I’m not sold on Blackmon.  I like Martin but I doubt he drops to me.  Should I trade out of the pick in favor of a couple of 2013 selections?  Adam in Minnesota

I think that would be a mistake unless you are getting at least two 2013 first round selections.  And even then I’m not sure.

You shouldn’t trade out of the pick at all.  If you don’t have pressing needs (which you must not if you are contemplating a picks only trade), I’d take BPA in this draft.  The top six selections in the 2012 draft (Luck/RG3, Richardson/Martin and Blackmon/Floyd) would all rate as top three picks in most rookie drafts.  If you were outside of the top six, I’d be okay with punting until 2013.  Team needs change and you may not get a chance to get an elite level prospect like this by trading.

If I can’t dissuade you from trading out of the pick, at least trade for a proven veteran.  Someone in your league will want the 1.05 I promise.  Wait until it is OTC and then put it on the block.  You may be pleasantly surprised by the level of offer you receive.

The 2012 class is strong, but got hurt a bit by the results of the NFL draft.  That doesn’t change the quality of the talent.  Remember Megatron went to the Lions, AJ Green to the Bengals with a rookie quarterback, and Fitzgerald to the Cards when they absolutely stunk.  Don’t count Blackmon or Floyd out because of their situations.  You’re selling them short.

Editor’s Note:  Tim Stafford can be found @dynastytim on twitter and in the forums as dlf_tims.

Pedro Cervantes

Im in a 32 team dynasty keeper league. Since the end of last years season i have been going back forth on a decison. In our league we keep the majority of our rosters and have only a small 2 round FA draft and a 2 round rookie draft. My team is a strong contender bt i was able to make an early trade last year for a rookie pick by giving matt flynn that ended up being the #3 overall rookie pick( i also have the 16 amd 25 overall rookie picks). There has already been a ton of action and trading this offseason and the 2 top picks have been pretty much locked in with the teams openly saying that with the #1 will be rg3 and #2 will be richardson. So that leaves me with a dilemna on who to pick, Although i admit its not the worse problem to have.

Here is my roster-qb- rodgers rb-forte rb-bradshaw rb/wr- alex green wr- marshall wr- knox te- olsen gb d/st k- mason crosby bench- brandon saine, dj williams, weslye saunders, kyle williams

If i didnt have rodgers the obvious choice would be luck. I could still select him since he has the highest value, bt then i would be sacrificing my chances at a title this year since luck would just sit on my bench until i was able to trade him. So then blackmon seems like the right choice since i have a hole at wr2 with knox’s scary injury. The only problem is that he landed in JAX with gabbert throwing to him. That and his combine #s scare me a bit, also mostseem to regard him as more of a #2 wr and not a #1 because of his lack of top end speed. I definitely want to maximixe my value out of this pick. So recently i started to think about selecting doug martin with the 3rd pick and just adressing my need at wr2 by picking wrs with my 16 and 25 picks. Martin is shooting up rookie rankings. But my question is, is it because of the situation martin landed in vs say blackmon or is he really a better player in terms of overall future fantasy value than blackmon? Who should i go for with the 3rd overall pick assuming rg3 and richardson are gone? And if you recommend martin which wr would you target with the 16 and 25 overall rookie picks?

o0flipz0o
Reply to  Pedro Cervantes

Have you tried putting the pick up on your trading block and started fielding offers?

I’d think that a QB prospect such as Luck would be highly coveted in a 32 team league and would return quite the bounty.

Pedro Cervantes
Reply to  o0flipz0o

I tried putting it otb to see what i could get, but there hasn’t been any offers that really caught my eye. So for now I’m goin into the rookie Draft as if I’m goin to have the pick, bt I’ve changing my mind on who to pick with the 1.03 nearly every day. So I’m really lookin for some outside advice…

Brian
Reply to  Pedro Cervantes

You have to take Luck. You will be able to move him once guys with QB needs see that he isn’t going to fall just because you drafted based on need. I actually had the 2nd pick in my dynasty draft and the guy at #3 wanted Martin. He wanted to trade up to be sure he got him. Even though I would have taken Luck at 2 even if our deal couldn’t be worked out I still was able to get Vincent Brown and a 2013 second round pick for it. If the guy at 4 has a qb need then I would throw an offer his way that says I am taking Luck. If you want him give me a WR of yours and the #4 pick and you can have him. Then take Martin at 4. You will have addressed your need at WR and you will have a good young back in Martin who will probably be an upgrade over Bradshaw.

Ben
Reply to  Pedro Cervantes

I would take Luck at #3 and go ahead and trade Rodgers for a young RB like Mathews. Maybe you could even get 2 solid players like Fred Jackson and Kenny Britt for Rodgers which would set you up to win it all this year in a 32 team league.

Steve
Reply to  Pedro Cervantes

You should consider trading down for two midround picks like, say 12 and 20 or so? Maximize the potential of that #3 pick and just lock down two guys that can hopefully fill those shaky WR and flex spots!!

Marcellus W.
Reply to  Pedro Cervantes

Since you are having a hard time deciding whom to pick, it’s probably advisable to trade down. Trading down for the 12 and 18 would probably serve your roster well.

On the other hand, is Peyton Manning available in your league? Maybe you could package Rogers, Bradshaw and the #3 for someone like Manning, Gore and Hunter. That would probably be your best best.

Godspeed.

Cyrus
Reply to  Pedro Cervantes

I am not in any 32 team leagues, so Brian’s advice above could be the way to go. (Take Luck because QB are so scarce)

However, my thought is that starting RB’s are almost as scarce and guys that get a ton of carries are even more valuable than QB’s.

I would take Martin and not even worry about QB, you have Rodgers. I love trading but never put myself in a position where I HAVE to trade.

Don’t worry about WR, those two other picks will net you fine WR. Blackmon and Floyd look good, but Martin is a tier above to me.

Aaron
Reply to  Pedro Cervantes

I have a question…how friggin’ nuts is it to be a part of a 32-team league??? I mean if you own Rodgers and Luck, that means that there is an owner who doesn’t even have a starting QB on their team…how is that enjoyable???

SMW
Reply to  Aaron

It all depends on how your league is set up. I’m in two 32 team leagues and each has a rule that you can only have one starting QB on your team during week 1. During the season you can trade for a second or third for that matter (usually due to injuries of course) but when week 1 comes around there is a huge penalty for having two starting qbs. Not a huge fan of the rule but its a lot better than having owners out there with noone.

StevieMo
Reply to  Aaron

32 team leagues are God’s way of telling you you have too much time on your hands.

Aaron
Reply to  Aaron

Steve Moyer…too funny!!! It just seems excessive to me…16-team seems like the max for it to be fun, I mean isn’t that the point???

SWM…I know you have that rule, but what about leagues that don’t have a rule like that…I mean how can a 32-team league be fun if there are owners that don’t have a QB and are going to get bent over the barrell in a trade to get one???

Steve
Reply to  Aaron

Probably the same way the Redskins bent over backwards and took it from St. Louis this offseason to move up and get RGIII.

Steve
Reply to  Aaron

I would guess it really just depends on how sandy your ladyparts are.

Billy
Reply to  Aaron

Aaron, if you know what you are doing, you don’t end up in that situation. OR you trade for one.

But I can understand that some women wouldn’t enjoy playing in a 32 team league.

Aaron
Reply to  Billy

Billy…a woman joke? Really? I don’t know how I can go on with my FF career knowing an internet tough guy called me a woman b/c I don’t play in a 32-team league…

Joe Schmo

Is two 2nd picks too steep a price to pay for Hakeem Nicks.

Aaron
Reply to  Joe Schmo

Is that a serious question? You are asking if two question marks is too much to pay for a likely Top-10 WR for the next several years? You should have accepted this deal already!

Frank The Tank
Reply to  Joe Schmo

why don’t i get these offers?…geez….this shouldn’t even be questioned. Trade your 2 2nd rounders and run…run as fast as you can and consider yourself one of the luckiest dynasty owners around. Man…im real jealous right now lol.

Aaron
Reply to  Frank The Tank

EXACTLY!!! I think two first rounders (unless one was a top 3 pick) would still be a steal for Hakeem Nicks…like you, I never get these offers either…

gojakey
Reply to  Aaron

I first read that as the top two picks, meaning 1.01 and 1.02
Two 2nds for Nicks is just plain robbery

Brian W.
Reply to  gojakey

I would have to veto that deal if I was the commissioner! Take it yesterday if you can, but I wouldn’t even want to play in that league if that kind of non-sense was allowed.

Aaron
Reply to  gojakey

I mean I don’t know what is worse…a guy willing to trade Nicks for a pair of second round picks or having to ask advice to see if you are getting ripped off for it…

Jesse
Reply to  Joe Schmo

TEN 2nd rounders is not too steep to pay!

gojakey

I currently have pick 1.04 and 2.09 and am contemplating trading both for 1.06 and 1.10.
Do you think the drop from 1.04 to 1.06 is low enough to be worth getting 1.10
I have Eli and Big Ben at QB, with need at both RB (Gore/Turner/BJGE/D Brown) and WR (Wallace/Holmes/Colston/Boldin)
If I end up with one of the QB then I will gladly take one at 1.06.

Frank The Tank
Reply to  gojakey

I would do that. you drop 2 spots but vault a whole round with the second part. I like it…unless you think Martin will be there at 1.4. If you think he’ll be there at 1.4 i wouldn’t trade.

strim281
Reply to  Frank The Tank

I wouldn’t do it until 1.4 is on the clock, you will probably get much better offers if there is a guy left there that a couple other owners really want. Maybe a bit of a bidding war and you will reap the benefits.

gojakey
Reply to  strim281

An update guys
Top three picks went T Rich, Martin and Blackmon

I countered and said 1.06 and 1.10 straight up for 1.04

He accepted and pick RGIII

So I will get either Luck or Floyd at 1.06

I am well happy with that deal

Brian W.
Reply to  gojakey

If Luck is gone, I’d take Wilson (fingers crossed though). Then get a WR at 1.10. Floyd, Jeffrey,Hill,Quick ect. One of them will be there and WR’s are a crapshoot anyway.

Cyrus
Reply to  gojakey

I would have been a little hesitant to trade because I value Luck a lot more than Floyd.

That said, Floyd fills a need and you get an extra 1.10 essentially for free. Good way to build a dynasty.

(I only mention the Luck thing because sometimes I go for value and miss out on players… last year, an owner gave up the 1.06 and a 1st in 2012 to move up to 1.02 and get AJ Green. We laughed at him, but the 1.06 was used on LeShoure and he won the league, so his 1st is 1.12 this year. I’d much rather have Green now)

dave hoover

I have the 1.06 and 1.07 and the top 6 seems fairly set as you’ve said, would you consider fleener at 1.07, I only have grisham and pitta or go rb like martin only have greene helu and ridley.

Cyrus
Reply to  dave hoover

I wouldn’t, I would trade down a bit. Fleener went at 2.02 in my league, so you can move down to 1.10 to 1.12 and still get him, I think.

Wilson has a lot of value, even though he is in his own little tier after the top 6. Personally, I would just take Wilson and then trade for a TE.

dave hoover

I meant wilson not martin

Sam

If Brees is your qb1, would you trade Matt Ryan straight up for the pick that would get Luck?

Ryan Brown
Reply to  Sam

Without a doubt. Luck has far mor upside and talent than Ryan and you have pretty much seen the ceiling for Matt Ryan (it could raise a little more) but like you said Brees is your QB1 and you only need your QB2 for one week per season. I would take that deal and never look back.

Jason
Reply to  Ryan Brown

Before you say Matt Ryan has already hit his ceiling I’d really like to see what year 2 with him having Julio Jones and Roddy White shows us

Ryan Brown
Reply to  Jason

Keep in my Jason, Tony G is on his way out and Roddy has limited years left as a real producer. This coming year will most likely be the best of his pro career (Given the inevitable downturn in Mike Turner’s production and the then need to pass more). Something like 4,200 and 28.

Admin
Reply to  Sam

I’d trade Ryan for Luck every single time. I like Ryan & think there’s some room for him to grow still, but Luck is on another tier.

Sam

Let me add, that in the history of this league, no quarterback has ever been drafted higher than 1.10 in the rookie draft.

phorts
Reply to  Sam

It hadnt in our league either. In fact, Cam Newton went in round 6 of our Rookie/FA draft. QB’s have just been so devalued. That said, i wouldnt count on Luck OR RG3 being available towards the back half of the first. Only way to ensure you get one is to trade to the 1.3. trust me, the hype on these guys hasnt even begun…..

If you’re 100% absolutely sure, i’d trade Ryan for Luck/RG3 all day. I think we’ve seen Ryan’s ceiling, or close to. It wont touch these rookies ceilings in terms of fantasy production or perceived value.

Admin
Reply to  Sam

I think because of Newton’s success & the quality of this year’s top 2 QB prospects, you’ll see that change. They may fall slightly further than most leagues, but I’d be both are gone by 1.06 at the latest.

Keegan

We started a dynasty league 2 years ago with 10 teams. Now we want to expand to 12 teams. Does anyone have experience with this?

Currently we have proposed that we would keep 5 starters and 1 bench player. We have a starting roster of QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, WR/RB/TE flex, K, DEF. Once we have protected our players, the expansion teams would be able to select up to 3 players off each team. They would also get the first picks in each round of the draft this year.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Reply to  Keegan

I think you’re doing a disservice to your new owners if you hold 5. That basically takes the top 50 players off the board for them and will make it hard to viably compete. I’d say hold 2-3 players each and each team gets to protect an extra player after their team has been hit by the expansion teams.

Keegan
Reply to  TheFFGhost

Just so I can fully understand, I would protect Newton, Nicks and Adrian Peterson. My next top two players are Julio and Jamaal Charles. If an expansion team takes Julio, my extra player to protect would be Charles?

How often should this happen? Cut them off at a certain number of players taken off each team?

Brian W.
Reply to  Keegan

There’s the problem right there. The new teams will get everyone’s JULIO. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to play a team full of JULIOS!!!!!

That’s why I drafted him! 🙂

Brian W.
Reply to  Brian W.

If you think of the above example like a yearly draft it looks like this. Existing teams get picks in rounds:
1/2/3/5/7/9/10/11/12/13 (total of 10 for ex.). While expansion teams get multiple picks in other rounds:
4/4/4/4/4/6/6/6/6/6

The effect is a very strong and deep expansion team. They will have everyone’s 4th and 6th best player.

You’re 4th best player is now their 5th best, and you’re 6th best is now their 10th best player!! Think about it, your starters is now on their benches.

Reply to  Keegan

I’d say value at certain positions falls off much quicker than others (QB/RB vs. WR for instance). Your expansion teams will have no higher than the 10th best QB or 20th best RB. The QB situation isn’t horrible but come the 20th best RB you are dealing almost exclusively with time share/RBBC backs which is no way to build a dynasty team. The first round picks should help but I can’t help but feel the original plan is off in some regards. Especially when teams could potentially hold on to 3 RBs (2 RBs and 1 bench RB). If all 10 teams did this, which is totally possible, then the best RB the teams could hope for is the 30th best back. I understand the want and desire as an owner to hold onto your team but as a commissioner you also have to look at making the expansion teams as competitive as quickly as possible also.

The original scenario also treats all teams as competitive equals and filled with equal talent when that is also not the case. Taking a stacked team’s third player won’t hurt that team as bad as a team stocked with three good players. I hope that conveys correctly in what I’m trying to get across. What I’m saying is that some weaker teams may be hurt much worse than your strongest teams which could really destabilize the league.

Brian W.
Reply to  TheFFGhost

I agree that if every team holds 3 RB’s, then the expansion team will be getting a tough draw. However, if you can set it up so half will and half won’t, that could work. Maybe by saying save only 5 total between RB’s and WR’s? Still, the fact that committees are so common, there are actually 40+ playable RB’s too. Both expansion teams should get a starter in the draft and a RB2 in the top 32. They get that with everyone protecting 3RB’s also. It’s fair enough, that’s the price of admission, plus a lot of existing teams out there don’t even have 2 starters and nobody cares about them.

Having the #11QB is not a handicap, really. The #6-15 QB’s are completely unpredictable most years, as it really just depends on how hot they are. Some are young and getting better. There’s always next year, right?

I completely agree that weak teams will suffer the most, while watching what little depth they have go to a now super deep expansion team. Some may quit the league if the new teams look too good afterwards?

The only way a limited 2 or 3 players saved system works, is if the whole league pulls a player back after each expansion pick, not just the team whose player was grabbed. That way the expansion teams don’t runaway with all the depth. Plus, it adds some excitement and a bit of luck to the whole thing for the existing owners.

Reply to  TheFFGhost

Yeah I’m not overly concerned about the QB part of it, the RB part is worrying though. I think the idea of every team pulling back a player after each pick is a good one, but maybe after each “round” each team that got hit that round could be granted two protected players. I think that’s a really good system

Brian W.
Reply to  Keegan

Do a mock draft as if you were the new team. How’s the new team look? Pretty good I bet. If I was an owner, I’d want to be able to protect 2QB,3RB,4WR/TE,1DEF at least. That’s 10! It seems unfair, but a 10 team league should have plenty of depth to pick from.

OR deduct 2 spots from that 10, to meet in the middle. 1QB,3RB,3WR/TE,1DEF. Make it the owner’s choice of which 8 to keep, but maybe limit QB’s to protect only 1?

The expansion teams are already going to get starting RB’s at 1 and 2 if they have any sense. There should be plenty of QB’s available in a 10 team league as well. If they get to choose from the best of everyone’s bench, they should be fine, maybe a little dues to pay though.

You could go the route of owner’s only allowed to lose 2 players, (3 too many) or pull 1 back as 1 gets picked off, but that would be a logistical nightmare.

In the end, There are 32 starting RB’s, 64 starting WR’s, and 32 starting QB’s/TE’s every sunday so there is plenty to go around. The 10 existing owners will only lock down 20-25 RB’s, 30-40 WR’s and 10-15 QB’s/TE’s under a keep your starters plus 1 bench guy type deal (8 keepers). I’ve even excluded K’s and DEF, so in theory the expansion team will get the best defense or a position starter from someone too.

Brian W.
Reply to  Brian W.

Sorry to double post, but I just looked at my 12 team league’s roster grid. I could definitely put together a contender off of the benches there, let alone a 10 team league. Like I said above, they’ll be fine at RB and QB for sure, also there are plenty of TE’s to allow a team to be competitive.

RB’s are plentiful in a 10 team league. If they can raid everyone’s bench, new teams will have more depth than everyone else. 5 RB3’s plus a draft pick? That’s too good a deal right there.

WR is the tricky one, but they’ll have the pick of the litter from WR#30-64, so that’s 2 #1WR’s on their own team (WR#31&32), plus the best of the rest. I don’t feel sorry for the new teams here, they’ll be competitive right away.

I think you have to protect the current owners from losing more than 1 player per position too.

StevieMo
Reply to  Keegan

We expanded from 10 to 12 teams several years ago and this is what worked for us:

First off, we made sure two experienced owners had the expansion teams, so they knew how to build a team.

Existing owners could protect 8 of their 22 existing players, but no more than 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, etc. You’d be surprised how much depth teams had that made that work (without losing their favorite players). There were some interesting picks — one expansion team went with veterans and the other went with mostly young guys.

Each existing team could lose a maximum of 4 players, and no more than 1 QB.

The expansion teams also got the first two picks in our preseason draft (rookies + available veterans), so they could start building their star power. One expansion owner traded his high pick for a nice bounty.

The expansion teams were competitive in relatively short order and everyone thought the process was fair.

StevieMo
Reply to  StevieMo

I should mention that there were 15 rounds in the expansion draft, so those two owners still had to get 7 more players in the preseason draft.

Brian W.
Reply to  StevieMo

That’s pretty close to what I was thinking, if they choose wisely , they’ll make the playoffs.

I just did a practice scenario following your rules (except protecting 3 WR’s), from a 12 team league (making these 2 “teams” members of a 14 team league):

Team#1

Vick, Cutler
Trent Richardson*, R.Bush, A.Bradshaw, R.Helu, S.Greene
B.Marshall, A.Boldin, A.Brown, DHB, James Jones, G.Tate
Finley,Celek
Jets/Cowboys

Team#2

Roethlisberger, Ryan
D.Martin*, Forte, Spiller, F. Jackson, Blount, B.Tate
Andre J., G.Little, Torrey Smith, L.Robinson, L. Moore, Titus Y.
Owen Daniels, Pettigrew
Texans/Bengals

Keep in mind, a 10 to 12 team expansion would be even more stacked. These teams would be better than most, even before they were robbed!

Amoo
Reply to  Brian W.

Unfair! In my league, teams have been fighting tooth and nail to build depth like that. Now, the 2 newbs of the league come in with better depth than most have ever had? Something seems off.

StevieMo
Reply to  Amoo

We found the expansion teams to have mid-level depth but little star power. The same would be true in Brian’s example.

No way in hell you take Martin over Luck in a dynasty league. Stop smoking the good stuff!

Amoo
Reply to  Keegan

I think that as an expansion team, they should have an uphill battle entering the league (such as the NFL does), and no way they should be contending for a title year 1 (without a mastery of trading and managing throughout the year). They should enter the league knowing full well that this is the case. I don’t think they should get to pick a contending team from existing teams (leaving the existing teams depth very thin) AND turn around and get the a top 2 pick in the draft to boot. Seems to me that if you only protected 5-6 players (or 2-3 like on guy suggested) that the expansion team would be better suited for success than most of the existing teams. So they don’t get some of the “elite” players, but they’re whole team would be comprised of young productive players. They wouldn’t have had to go thru the rigors of drafting unknown rookies, they would have the advantage of plucking players who were drafted 2-3 years ago and have a a role carved out in their existing team. If you gave me the chance to enter a league and pluck a team full of top 20 players (though none we top 5) from your squads, I would end up with a team that is younger and deeper than any team in the league. Just seems way too one sided in favor of the expansion team.

Brian W.
Reply to  Amoo

I agree completely. Expansion teams are owed nothing but a chance to win in the long run. I say figure out how to give them an decent RB2 and 3 WR3’s or even WR4’s. TE’s and QB’s take care of themselves if the league has 20 or less roster spots.

cowboys

I have been offered 1.3, 1.5 and Dez Bryant for 1.1 and Dwayns Bowe. I have Ryan Mathews at RB and not much else and Joe Flacco and Jake Locker at QB. Do I take this deal or not? Thanks.

Brian W.
Reply to  cowboys

Assuming you are rebuilding? I wouldn’t do it unless you’re positive either Richardson or Martin will slip to 1.03. If they go 1 and 2, you’ll be stuck with Blackmon/Wilson or Wilson/Floyd. With the shaky situations they are all in, I highly doubt you’d want to swap Richardson for them in a few years, let alone now.

I’m not a huge fan of Bowe, and I do like Dez better. But, they are close enough to equal for argument’s sake. So take them out of the equation.

You could use the extra pick on a QB, but Locker is a good prospect, maybe real good. He was awesome in the playing time he got last year, and his versatility on the ground is perfect for fantasy too.

I’m a trade-a-holic maniac, but I’d take Richardson and never look back.

cowboys

Thanks Brian W. I appreciate your input. You have helped alot. The owner that I would be trading 1.1 to will take Richards with that pick. He has already notified me of that so that means I would be hoping that Martic slips to 1.5 and there’s no gaurentee that’s going to happen. So I’m staying put unless a better offer comes up. Thanks.

Brian W.
Reply to  cowboys

My pleasure, Martin should go #2 in my opinion, unless the holder of the pick is deep at RB AND desperate for a QB.

T Rich solves your RB situation for several years if Mathews stay healthy, too tempting to pass up in my book. If I was offered a decent starting RB plus WR or even WR upgrade swap (like Bowe for Fitz/AJ/Julio ect.) I’d be real tempted.

Ken

WR Joseph Morgan of the Saints and Lester Jean of the Texans are 2 players that looked real good in pre-season last yr before being shelved for injury issues. I have picks 4,7,9 am I crazy to consider 1 of these guys for the 9 pick?

stoney curtis
Reply to  Ken

Ken,
You are correct, sir! Picks #7 & #9 should be used for upside. Joe Morgan could be the next Victor Cruz. “Big Play Lester Jean” has talent, and the all important opportunity. If rookies Nick Toon, or D.Posey couldn’t make your team…indeed, roll the dice.

Matthew Shafran

Situation: 12 team PPR, FA period is over and draft is Sunday before reg. season begins, need to free up 5 spots (4 draft picks and need to pick up kicker)…based on my roster, if you had to drop 5 players who would they be? (ps. i know about my obvious need at RB)

QB: Cam and M. Ryan
RB: Gore, Hunter, Starks, Bush, Vereen, D. Carter, E. Royster
WR: M. Austin, A. Brown, Colston, TBMW, R. Cobb, L. Robinson, J. Baldwin
TE: Vernon, Cook, M. Bennett
D: Texans

Which 5 to drop? thanks for you help while the forum is under maintenance…

Admin
Reply to  Matthew Shafran

Ok, here are a couple of questions/thoughts that don’t necessarily answer you question, but bear with me.

1) What picks do you own?
2) What are your starting requirements?

If you HAD to drop 5 tomorrow, I’d go w/ Bennett, Royster, Carter, Robinson, & Baldwin. BUT, with the draft that far away, I’d consider the following options first:

a) Consolidate your picks to move up in the draft. This would leave you with less cuts.
b) If you have late round picks, then I’d pass on them rather than dropping some of the guys I mentioned.
c) Make trades of 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 to open roster spots rather than cutting players.
d) Trade players for future draft picks.

Matthew Shafran
Reply to  Eric Dickens

1) the draft is serpentine and I own the 6th pick in each round following that order (since there are 12 teams it works out to 1.6, 1.18, etc…for 4 rounds).

the draft consists of rookies AND also any FA’s available, so I have the strategic option to keep my picks and players until right before the draft, then drop 5 and pick them up later in the draft if no better options are available.

2) 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

a) i’ve attempted to consolidate picks and move up but to no avail.
b) that would be a great option but for a league rule which basically states that “At the time the draft begins, each franchise owner must have enough open roster spots for each draft pick they own.” Thus, because i have 4 draft picks, i need 4 open roster spots.

I have an obvious need at RB and I intended to address that through the draft (b/c trade negotiations have not been successful). With the 4 draft picks I have, where I am positioned, and the teams in front of me’s needs, I’m hoping to get either D. Martin or D. Wilson with the 1.6. In the second round grab another RB like hillman/pead/miller and then go for best available through rounds 3,4.

I wish we had more roster spots because i believe (tell me if you think otherwise) that my depth at WR and TE has a lot of potential (i.e. brown, cobb, baldwin, cook, bennett). I would hate to drop a player after doing research and winning him in a blind bidding process, to only see him become a huge success.

Does your analysis change at all now that you have that information?

(sorry for the length – im a lawyer lol)

Admin
Reply to  Matthew Shafran

Good info, appreciate the answers.

I’d focus on ‘c’ then. I’d look to overpay using a player+pick to either move up in the draft or upgrade at a position. Overpaying may not be the optimal route normally, but in this case you are going to lose some good players anyway.

If that fails, then sell those ‘bubble’ guys for future draft picks (not 2012).

I also think you’re being a bit optimistic about Martin dropping to 1.06 and Hillman/Pead being there at 1.18. I’d go into the draft expecting Wilson at 1.06 & possibly Miller at 1.18 if those are your targets.

Matthew Shafran
Reply to  Eric Dickens

thanks for the input Eric! I like the strategy.

before the draft, when everyone was debating who the next best RB after T-Rich was, I wanted Martin because of his overall ability to be an every down back and good at everything while not great at one thing. Now that he landed in an optimal situation, it most likely killed my hopes of owning him. The first 4 picks need QB and WR help, the 5th pick has no glaring holes to address so that’s really the wild card.

It’s a very competitive league so everyone will be doing their research but i can still be optimistic right!!! (as long as i have numerous backup plans.)

thanks again

Steve W

I have 3 3rd Rd rookie draft in a 16 team, 3.10,3.13,3.16. How far do you think I could move up into 2nd Rd or would it better to just stay in 3rd rd make the picks

Al

“Remember Megatron went to the Lions, AJ Green to the Bengals with a rookie quarterback, and Fitzgerald to the Cards when they absolutely stunk. Don’t count Blackmon or Floyd out because of their situations. You’re selling them short.”

Blackmon isn’t close to those guys talent wise. Far more similar to Dez Bryant or Michael Crabtree.

Fife

We need a running back badly and Starks is on the trade block.

Whats everyone’s thoughts on value of James Starks as far as a draft pick? Mid first? Late first? Second?

We have the 19th (2.3) to offer for him..

Alan Bauerle

I now own the 1.5 pick innoyr rookie ppr dynast draft. The big 4 are already taken. Luck rg3 Richardson n Martin. Should I grab Wilson or blackmon?
Schaub Tebow Hassleback Kaepernick