Ten Impressive Combine Performances

After watching, reading, tweeting and Facebook liking all kinds of information this weekend in regards to the NFL’s Scouting Combine, I’ve come up with a list of the top ten most impressive fantasy rookies at the combine.  This isn’t a list of the highest draft picks, nor does it include offensive linemen since they are fantasy irrelevant.  This is simply the ten rookies I believe helped their FANTASY draft status the most during this multi-day meat market.

1. Andrew Luck, QB STAN

Are you kidding me?  This guy is the most highly-rated pocket passer to come out of college since Peyton Manning and he has the speed and size of Cam Newton to boot?  I know that Luck can’t get any better than the #1 pick, so my list starts off with a guy that isn’t going to improve his draft stock at all, but the one thing that most people weren’t focused on was Andrew Luck’s athleticism.  They are now.

2. Michael Floyd, WR ND

Floyd came into the combine with character concerns as well as speed questions with his big frame.  At 6’3″ and 225 lbs., nobody gave a thought to Floyd being a dow field threat in the NFL – that all changed this weekend.  Not only did Floyd acknowledge his mistakes during college and come off sounding mature and thoughtful at the media presser, once he was on the field he blistered a 4.47 forty time.  This weekend helped him tremendously.

3. Lamar Miller, RB MIA

Miller is known to be fast, but he beat Chris Rainey and LaMichael James in the forty at the combine to show that he has a size (5’10″/212 lbs) and speed combination that is unmatched in this draft.  He may not be a first round pick in the NFL draft, but he just solidified his top three status in rookie fantasy drafts this summer!

4. David Wilson, RB VT

The Virginia Tech product was known to be fast and he didn’t disappoint, running a 4.49 in the forty. What really caught people’s eyes was his explosiveness in the field drills and his athleticism in general.  This is proven by him finishing as the third best RB in the 20-yard shuttle and fourth best RB in the 60-yard shuttle.  He’s another back that helped himself this weekend.

5. Ladarius Green, TE LLA

Green went to school at Louisiana-Lafayette so he’s considered a bit raw, but he blistered his forty time this weekend posting a 4.53 and finished as the fastest TE at the combine.  At 6’6″ and 230 lbs., he’s a receiving TE prototype who probably needs to gain 10 pounds of muscle but he already has the speed to create match-up nightmares for defensive coordinators around the NFL.  He could be one of the top 3 TEs off the board in rookie drafts if he gets to a good situation.

6. Robert Griffin III, QB BAY

I put RG3 down here because he did impress this weekend and helped his draft stock, but he did not really impress in the important QB related events.  He didn’t throw the ball and that is his biggest question.  He ran a 4.41 forty, but everyone knew he was fast and agile (albeit not THAT fast).  He also impressed in the media room which is nice, but again, doesn’t translate to the field at all.  He helped himself, but there are still lingering questions in my mind.

7. Orson Charles, TE UGA

Here’s another guy who impressed with his physical tools in position drills, but did not run the forty. He helped himself to some degree, but did not give himself a chance to rocket to the stratosphere with a great 40 time.  That said, he looked fluid and athletic in drills and caught the ball very well.  That could make him the #1 TE off rookie boards, but it’s hard to say.

8. Kirk Cousins, QB MICH ST

The former Michigan State QB will not be drafted particularly high, but he may have put himself into the second round with this performance.  In position drills he was accurate, had good velocity and nice touch with a stronger arm than most people expected.  He could be a sleeper QB for somebody’s team in deeper dynasty leagues.

9. Tommy Streeter, WR MIA

Another kid who will likely not be a first rounder, but certainly helped himself this weekend with a blistering 40 time of 4.40. What’s impressive about his speed is that he is almost 6-5 and 220 pounds so his size/speed combination will make him attractive to the NFL.  He’s the kind of guy that if he gets in the right offense can develop into a #1 receiver in 2 or 3 years.  Take note of this come rookie draft time.

10. Robert Turbin, RB UTAH ST

Another RB who’s not considered elite, yet has a size (5’10″ and 222 lbs) and speed (ran 4.5 forty at the combine) combination that makes NFL scouts drool.  He’s comes out of a small school, Utah State, so he’s not on a lot of people’s radars but he looked very strong doing 28 reps of 225 lbs on the bench press, the most for running backs at the combine.  He could be a fantastic mid-round steal in fantasy rookie drafts if he gets to the right offensive situation.

Ken Clein can be found on twitter @DynastyFootball.  Ken also blogs at dynastyfootballfan.com.  Be sure to catch him there as well.

Latest posts by Ken Clein (see all)
tebow

cant wait for the nfl draft after this combine,this is the deepest rb class in awhile

tebow

one more thing what do u guys think of b.pierce? i really like his size and the way he runs.

Steve Wyremski
Reply to  tebow

I’m with you. Not enough guys talking about Pierce right now. He’s very underrated and can be very solid.

Surprised no Stephen Hill listed here!

Reply to  Steve Wyremski

Yea, I’ll give you that he’s the one everyone is talking about. He definitely raised his stock, but compared to the other guys on the list, I still don’t think he’s as relevant. Save for maybe Streeter. There are still a lot of questions with Hill due to the offense he played in and let’s not mistake, he is not a Demaryius Thomas clone. He’s not as polished nor experienced as Thomas was when he was coming out. So, I just think he still has more questions than answers, despite his blazing 40 time!

Steve Wyremski
Reply to  Ken Clein

I’m with you that he’s raw, but between Streeter and Hill… I’d take Hill any day of the week. He atleast has SOME college production.

tebow

i have never seen hill run before he must be way under the radar!

Kedrow

I really was impressed by Doug Martin as well. He ran a good 40 for a back his size…and like someone on the forum said…he looked as fluid as the smaller backs. In addition he caught the ball very well. Depending on the situations they all go to, i could easily see martin in the mix with miller and wilson as the second back taken in both the nfl draft and the rookie draft.

Sensai_John_Kreese

When you guys say that Lamar Miller solidified his stock as a top 3 rookie pick this year, are you suggesting that he would go before Blackmon?

Luck, Richardson, Miller??

Cyrus
Reply to  Sensai_John_Kreese

Curious about this myself.

I have the 1.01 and 1.03 (Luck will go 1.02) and so have to decide between Blackmon and the field.

I had heard a lot of hype about Wright, but his combine performance didn’t bump him up. It is between Blackmon, RG3 and the #2 RB I guess.

Ken Clein
Reply to  Cyrus

IMO Miller has all the tools. I see him as the next Chris Johnson. I would take him at 3. Blackmon is not a transformative WR, he’s good but not megatron or Fitz good. Miller, while not as hyped, had a great career at the U, has size/speed and allusiveness. Don’t sleep on him!

Slim

I like Doug Martin a lot, especially if he goes to a place like Cincy

Interesting trade scenario that I was just offered.. wanted to gather some thoughts from anyone who is interested. Here is the deal:

10 team salary cap league with contracts (anywhere from 1 – 5 yrs)

As far as the rookie draft goes for 1st rd picks, each draft slot is automatically assigned a salary cap figure and contract length based on the position you take. RB contract is 3 yrs and higher price vs. 4 yrs for QB/WR/TE and slighlty lower price annually

the #1 pick for example.. if you take a RB you have him 3 yrs with $60, $70, $80 being his contract values.. if you take QB/WR/TE you have him 4 years at $43, 51 60 80….due to this there is generally a higher demand for RB in this league

Stud RB’s carry a higher salary after contracts expire too typically.. we have an $1100 cap ..AP is $412, Rice $404, Foster $383 are the 3 highest paid RB..Calvin is highest WR at $276, A. Johnson at $232..Gates highest TE at $188 (will soon change).. Vick highest QB at $215 just to give you a base

I currently have picks 1.1, 1.5, 1.6

I was just offered picks 1.3 and 1.4 for my 1.1 pick

The guy picking at 1.2 needs a QB pretty bad so he will likely take Luck or RG3 and Richardson will go #1

For simplicity sake, lets just say at 1.3/1.4 i would get Griffin/Blackmon.

If I dont make the trade there is an outside chance RG3 falls to me at 1.5

Is it worth trading Richardson for that?

Essentially I could have like Griffin/Blackmon/Miller/Martin or Griffin/Blackmon/Miller/Floyd at picks 3 – 6

Cyrus
Reply to  Slim

It is tough. As Kedrow below me wrote, you are basically trading Richardson for Blackmon and Miller. (Assume for the moment that RG3 lasts to your #5 pick)

The question becomes– is the drop off between Richardson and Miller drastic enough to not be worth the addition of Blackmon?

My initial thought is that Richardson will be a stud, the next Peterson, so you should be very careful about giving him up. That said, there are no guarantees and Miller could end up in a better situation. Blackmon is a stud.

I guess I would do it, but I am glad I am not forced to make that choice in my league.

Coachmike
Reply to  Slim

I would definitely wait until after the nfl draft to make this trade…however, I would keep Richardson (unless he goes to the Cardinals, in that case make the trade) otherwise keep him

Slim
Reply to  Coachmike

Yea assumming Griffin slids to #5 in my original pick scenario, then it is Richardson for Blackmon/RB#2. If Griffin didnt slide to #5, it would change the whole decision. Yea i definitely wouldnt make a trade like this until after the NFL draft.. too many variables. If Richardson goes to say Cincy, then i think his value increases quite a bit.. if Blackmon goes to Jacksonville, his value decreases IMO. It would be nice to have my choice of any 4 prospects after Richardson/Luck but based on the premium of RB’s in our league and the fact that Richardson could be the next “elite” back, im just not sure it would be worth it. Im high on Richardson but dont think he is the next AP. I think Richardsons will be more in the range of like S. Jackson or Marshaun Lynch (during his good years)…top 10 – 12 fantasy RB annually.. couple top 5 finishs.. but no the true “elite”. I think Blackmon has an A. Boldin ceiling if he goes to the right team but I dont view him with guys like AJ Green, Fitz, Calvin, etc

My current roster is pretty even spread, so that gives me some flexibility:

QB- Vick, Cutler, Palmer
RB- Charles, Bradshaw, F. Jones, Leshoure, R. Willams
WR- Wallace, De.Thomas, Manningham, Garcon, Baldwin
TE- Graham, Gresham

based on the current FA’s this offseason and my cap room, I will likely land a guy like J. Nelson/Cruz/S. Johnson/Jennings

Slim
Reply to  Slim

I think I need to look at the trade differently and assumme that RG3 will not be there at #5.. so then it becomes Richardson for RG3/Blackmon

Kedrow

So basically you could have either griffin, blakmon, miller, martin
Or richardson, griffin, martin? Take griffin out because he is in both…and same with martin. Which leaves you with richardson for blackmon and miller Thats a hard one, but I think I do it! To me it all depends though on who your current rbs and wrs are.

Cyrus

What about Stephen Hill? I like his prospects a lot and he seems to have really improved his stock.

Steve Wyremski
Reply to  Cyrus

I’m with you Cyrus. I thought he looked solid in the gauntlet as well showing some nice hands. Reports are that he’ll be in the 2nd round range now. He needs to improve his routes coming out of the option offense and because of that is pretty raw, but he certainly has the physical tools to be a #1 WR in the league.

FWIW, I’m in a rookie draft that he was just drafted in the 1st round.

Cyrus
Reply to  Steve Wyremski

Holding a draft BEFORE the real draft is pretty crazy. Tons of speculation and I am sure some owners end up thrilled and others miffed.

In the forum that I frequent, there are a few loud detractors who question his work ethic– they admit that he has all of the tools but they don’t think he will ever put it together because of the mental aspect.

I’m willing to take that chance in the second round, but I think the first round (for dynasty drafts) is a bit much.

Josh G
Reply to  Cyrus

Agree…I think its..well..foolish..to hold a draft before the actual NFL draft..you just dont know who is going where. And while you likely should take BPA, you may not want a good player on a weak system when you may want an equally rated player in a more favorable system.

Patience is a virtue 🙂

Tony
Reply to  Cyrus

WTH……im with ya, we dont no anything about these guys yet!

Mike
Reply to  Cyrus

I’m a Georgia Tech alum, and watched every game Hill played at GT, and as much as I generally overvalue GT players in drafts I’m not going to be drafting Hill. He’s got horrible, horrible hands. The triple option offense we run creates a lot of wide open fly routes when the defense keys on stopping the run, and Hill shot us in the foot on numerous occasions, dropping sure touchdowns.

I wish him the best, though – I hope he proves me wrong somewhere.