Week Ten Aftermath

Week ten was a bad week to be a quarterback named Matt.  With Matt Schaub and Matt Cassel both likely done for the year, this week will mostly be remembered for significant injuries. Ironically, another Matt will be once again in the spotlight as Matt Leinart looks poised to make good on a second lease on life. We take a look at the dynasty landscape in our latest installment of the weekly aftermath.

Week Ten Fantasy MVP

We’ve never done this before and likely never will again, but this week’s fantasy MVP was actually the defense and special teams unit of the Chicago Bears.  They scored not once, not twice, but THREE times on the Lions (two INT returns and a Devin Hester blue plate special).  Aaron Rodgers and Arian Foster would have been worthy candidates, but a team with Chicago as their defensive unit had a huge advantage.

Week Ten Fantasy LVP

Let’s give this one to someone who didn’t even play – DeSean Jackson of the Eagles.  Jackson needs to learn that earning a new contract actually means earning it.  After posting mediocre numbers and alligator arming most everything thrown to him in traffic this season, Jackson turned it up a notch by getting himself suspended for being late to a special teams meeting.

He can make all the excuses he wants, but nobody is going to pay big money to a one dimensional diva who is proving to be more of a headache than a legitimate weapon.

Lineup Fun

The virtually unbeatable lineup of the week…

QB Aaron Rodgers GB = 250 passing yards, 21 rushing yards, four touchdowns
RB Arian Foster HOU  = 84 rushing yards, 102 receiving yards, two touchdowns
RB Michael Bush OAK = 157 rushing yards, 85 receiving yards, one touchdown
RB DeMarco Murray DAL  = 135 rushing yards, 36 receiving yards, one touchdown
WR Larry Fitzgerald  ARI = 7 catches, 146 receiving yards, two touchdowns
WR Denarius Moore OAK = 5 catches, 123 receiving yards, two touchdowns
WR Laurent Robinson = 3 catches, 73 yards, two touchdowns
TE Rob Gronkowski NE  = 8 catches, 113 yards, two touchdowns

The dominant underdog lineup of the week…

QB John Skelton ARI 315 passing yards, three touchdowns, two INTs
WR Vincent Brown SD
5 catches, 97 yards, one touchdown
WR Jacoby Jones HOU
2 catches, 87 yards, one touchdown
TE Ed Dickson BAL  =
10 catches, 79 yards, two touchdowns

You probably lost if your lineup looked like this...

QB Jay Cutler CHI = 123 passing yards, 18 rushing yards
RB Mark Ingram NO  = 11 rushing yards
RB Willis McGahee DEN = 17 rushing yards, one injury
RB LeGarrette Blount TB = 34 rushing yards
WR Sidney Rice SEA = 2 catches, 14 receiving yards
WR Dwayne Bowe KC = 2 catches, 17 receiving yards
WR Reggie Wayne IND = 3 catches, 13 receiving yards
TE Marcedes Lewis JAX  = 1 catch, -4 receiving yards

Gut Checks

I’d be worried if…

I’m banking on production from Miles Austin before Thanksgiving. Laurent Robinson is filling in well enough for the Cowboys to wait a bit and make sure Austin is 100% this time.

I think the Chad Ochocinco comeback is still going to happen this season.

I consider Knownshon Moreno anything but a total bust at this point.

I have Jacoby Ford or Darrius Heyward-Bey. It sure looks like Denarius Moore is taking over as the best Raiders wideout to own during the Carson Palmer era.

I play a team with Rob Gronkowski on their roster.  This guy is posting ridiculous numbers and there may be no other TE to have in a dynasty league outside of Jimmy Graham at this point.

I have any Redskin running back.  Like we’ve said 10,000 times, Mike Shanahan hates you.

I’m hoping for production from Hines Ward again. The young kids have simply taken over.

I own Kevin Kolb.  John Skelton hasn’t been great, but the team has played better with him at quarterback. That may be a total indictment on just how bad Kolb has been.

I own Mark Ingram.  I get that he’s been hurt, but shouldn’t we have seen a little more by now?

I hope Reggie Wayne can help me in the playoffs. He’s currently on pace for 1.8 touchdowns this season.

I’m banking on Stevie Johnson for the stretch run. He has as many 100 yard games as you do this year. Sure, it’s likely just a slump, but it’s a long slump right now.

I expect anything from Green Bay running backs.  You can make the case that John Kuhn may be the best play as the Packers continue to just sling it around at will.

I expect a dropoff from Andy Dalton.  This kid is legit.

I’m still looking for good things from Johnny Knox. Strange how he’s just disappeared.

I’m looking for big things from Brandon Jacobs with Ahmad Bradshaw out.  It’s just not happening.

I’m hoping for consistency from Philip Rivers and Vincent Jackson. It’s just weird.

I’m expecting a total fantasy faceplant from Tim Tebow. His situation is polarizing. He’s an awful passer and the Broncos know it. Thing is, they can actually win a game where he goes 2-for-8.  There are simply no other quarterbacks who can put up respectable fantasy days with two completions. None – he was the 10th best quarterback this week in most formats. What would happen if he completed 8 passes?  10?  20?  Oh, the humanity!

A Look Ahead to Hot Names on the Week Eleven Waiver Wire
Remember, we focus on many lesser known players here.

1. Matt Leinart, QB HOU

He was supposedly looking great in practice, so it’s time to see it in live action now.

2. TJ Yates, QB HOU

Let’s say we’re not 100% sold on Leinart.

3. Tyler Palko, QB KC

We usually don’t mention players twice on this list, but he’ll get a shot now in KC.

4. Chastin West, WR JAX

Here’s a name to put in your back pocket…or on a deep bench.

Ken Kelly
Hot nikkels

Love it as I have on the fun list:
Foster
Murray
R. Bush
Fitz
Moore
Dickson

Didn’t start them all, but love to see my guys on this weekly list!

Coach

in a redraft league… i faced and defeated the bears defense. Fortunately my running backs were Michael Bush and Arian Foster.

Dynasty builder

12 team deep dynasty league:

Is it worth hanging on to Stephen Williams (WR), Tashard Choice (RB), or Julius Thomas (TE) at this point? I’m starting to doubt whether Williams will ever again see the light of day.

DLFKenK
Reply to  Dynasty builder

I’d hold on to Choice and Thomas, but Williams may be toast.

Nathan

Huge trade…. Need some help.. I know its not the forum, but I need answers!! haha…

I had Schaub, with Tebow and Hasslebeck behind him. I was offered my choice of Cam Newton or D Brees both with M Wallace for Cal Johnson and my first round. Or Eli for P Garcon and T Smith…. which one do I take?

DLFKenK

It probably depends on where you are in the standings and your scoring system, but I’d take Newton and Wallace for Megatron in your situation if you’re competing.

Sensai John Kreese
Reply to  DLFKenK

This is funny, because i also just lost Shaub for the year, and ended up trading for Cam Newton as well.

I gave up Hakeem Nicks straight up, i feel like i robbed him blind.

Agree with Ken, Newton and Wallace for Megatron is almost a no brainer, depending on how bad or good your first round pick is. Newton and Wallace for CJ and Blackmon, for example, is a little iffy.

Nathan

Currently in 2nd place… primed for a run.. Team before the injury
Schaub
Calvin Johnson
A Boldin
S Holmes / P Garcon / T Smith
A Peterson
D McFadden / M Bush / D Thomas
J Graham

Non PPR, Standard scoring 10 teams

Sensai John Kreese
Reply to  Nathan

What’s the question, Nathan?

In a 10 team league, there might be some QB depth on the waiver wire. You have a good team, it’s not terribly deep though. I would consider picking up (call me crazy) John Skelton.

Nathan

Is Cam going to keep it up though. I know what Im getting in Brees and Cam has 9 games under his belt… Yes, he looks amazing… but its only 9 games…

Sensai John Kreese
Reply to  Nathan

im sorry, didnt see you were the same dude who posted earlier.

Nathan
Reply to  Sensai John Kreese

No worries… My other QBs are

Schaub
Tebow
Hasslebeck
Flynn
Kaepernick

Sensai John Kreese
Reply to  Nathan

I am not an expert like Mr Kelly is, but I would still advise you to go with Newton. There is something to be said about having a QB plugged in for the next 12 years. Brees is certainly a good option as well, but he is about to turn 33 in January. Dynasty football is a constant challenge, in that you are constantly trying to stay competitive, and keep an eye to the future. Having Cam tells me that you wont need another QB (barring injury) until the mid 2020’s. That’s a beautiful thing. Cam may actually be the most untouchable player in a dynasty league right now, in my opinion.

Sensai John Kreese
Reply to  Sensai John Kreese

besides Rodgers, of course

Ken

10 team league,standard scoring.
each yr we can keep 15 and I might keep 5 rb`s?
Finally gave up on CJ Spiller and dropped him for Taiwan Jones, what is your opinion on this?

RB
Ryan Mathews(SD – RB)
James Starks(GB – RB)
Jonathan Stewart(Car – RB)
Kendall Hunter(SF – RB)
Cedric Benson(Cin – RB)
Jacquizz Rodgers(Atl – RB)
Taiwan Jones(Oak – RB)

DLFKenK
Reply to  Ken

I’m not so sure I’d have dropped Spiller for Jones. Mathews, Stewart, Hunter and Benson are automatics, though. Starks is close as well.

From now through the end of their careers, which QB would you prefer to have, Sanchez or Skelton?

A Bietz

Looking to see what WR Eric Deckers value is as a Dynasty player, and current trade value?

Any Info will help as im looking ton trade him- or keep him.

Warren

Deep, deep sleeper for this week is Brandon Saine, RB-Packers. Not that anyone would dream of starting him, but he should at least be on some watch lists. Grant is getting phased out and he should be taking some of the playing time that Alex Green was getting eased into. 5’11”, 220 lbs with good pass-catching ability and has reportedly run a forty in the 4.2s. He could provide big-play ability out of the backfield that GB has been lacking.