Week Nine Aftermath

As the playoff picture start to come into focus in many leagues, we bring back a DLF staple series of articles – the weekly aftermath. Week nine brought us some surprising performances and also a huge breakout from one Julio Jones. We take a look back and a look forward.

Week Nine Fantasy MVP

It seems like Aaron Rodgers can win this every week, so let’s focus on another player who had a huge day in the same game – Vincent Jackson of the San Diego Chargers. After disappointing his owners for most of the season, Jackson finally broke out in a huge way with 141 yards and three touchdowns.

Week Nine Fantasy LVP

He’s an obscure player, but Chris Ogbonnaya had a golden chance to shine as the last of the healthy running backs in Cleveland. He responded with just 41 total yards and a lost fumble.  Yuck.

Lineup Fun

The virtually unbeatable lineup of the week…

QB Aaron Rodgers GB = 247 passing yards, 52 rushing yards, four touchdowns
RB Willis McGahee DEN  = 163 rushing yards, two touchdowns
RB Reggie Bush MIA = 92 rushing yards, 50 receiving yards, one touchdown
RB Arian Foster HOU = 124 rushing yards, 26 receiving yards, one touchdown
WR Vincent Jackson SD = 7 catches, 141 receiving yards, three touchdowns
WR Julio Jones ATL = 3 catches, 131 receiving yards, 33 rushing yards, two touchdowns
WR Brandon Marshall MIA = 8 catches, 106 yards, one touchdown
TE Rob Gronkowski NE  = 8 catches, 101 yards, one touchdown

The dominant underdog lineup of the week…

QB Matt Moore MIA = 244 passing yards, three touchdowns
WR Earl Bennett CHI =
5 catches, 95 yards, one touchdown
WR Eddie Royal DEN =
2 catches, 25 yards, one touchdown, return TD
TE Anthony Fasano MIA  =
2 catches, 38 yards, two touchdowns

You probably lost if your lineup looked like this...

QB Michael Vick PHI = 213 passing yards, 34 rushing yards, one INT
RB Ryan Grant GB  = 16 rushing yards
RB Chris Wells ARI = 20 rushing yards, 13 receiving yards
RB Jackie Battle KC = 40 rushing yards, nine receiving yards
WR Reggie Wayne = 4 catches, 30 receiving yards
WR Mike Williams TB = 3 catches, 41 receiving yards
WR DeSean Jackson PHI = 10 rushing yards, 16 receiving yards, lost fumble
TE Vernon Davis SF  = 4 catches, 41 receiving yards, lost fumble

Gut Checks

I’d be worried if…

I own DeSean Jackson.  He’s always been spotty when it comes to production, but this has been quite a dip lately.

I have Roddy White in my dynasty league. He’s being pegged as a great second half “buy,” but his production has really dipped with Julio Jones in the fold.

I’m expected big things from Beanie Wells in the second half of the season. It’s obvious that he’s hurt and it may not go away without some extended rest that he simply won’t get.

I’m thinking Reggie Bush is going to permanently unseat Daniel Thomas this season.  We’ve been down this road before.

I’m still hoping for big things from Josh Freeman and Mike Williams.  What a disappointment.

I was thinking Darrius Heyward-Bey is going to be a viable second half option. It looks like he’s been passed on the depth chart.

I’m counting out Willis McGahee or Steven Jackson as aging running backs. They both look rejuvenated.

I was hoping for Ahmad Bradshaw to lead my team to the promised land. The oft-injured running back will likely find himself in more of a committee than what he’s used to when he returns.

I’m thinking Felix Jones is going to be the bellcow when he comes back from injury.  Uhh, not happening.

I’m thinking that Marshawn Lynch is finally turning the corner. He’s finally scoring, but that’s likely going to be short-lived as the Seahawks still look rather anemic.

I’m looking for a second half breakout from Delone Carter.  He fumbled away a chance this week and will likely share carries with Donald Brown and Joseph Addai the rest of the way as the Colts try to find a way to land Andrew Luck.

A Look Ahead to Hot Names on the Week Ten Waiver Wire

1. Laurent Robinson, WR DAL

He’s not that great, but Miles Austin isn’t getting any better.

2. Kevin Smith, RB DET

He’s not that great either, but Jahvid Best isn’t getting any better.

3. Lavelle Hawkins, WR TEN

He’s quietly starting to emerge in Tennessee.

4. Thomas Clayton, RB CLE

Chris Ogbonnaya has been that bad.

Ken Kelly

Ken Kelly

Senior Partner - Executive Editor at DynastyLeagueFootball
Ken is a corporate trainer by day an a tireless editor of dynasty content by night. His passion for the World Champion Seattle Seahawks is second only to his love of fantasy football and the dynasty format.

Ken is on Twitter at DLF_KenK
Ken Kelly

Latest posts by Ken Kelly (see all)

1. Ken

November 9, 2011 at 4:32 am

1 guy for the flex this week, tough choices but can I really mess up? throw a dart?

Rob Gronkowski (NE – TE) @NYJ
    Brandon Lloyd(StL – WR) @Cle
    James Starks(GB – RB) Min
    Mario Manningham(NYG – WR) @SF

• Josh G

November 9, 2011 at 6:50 am

Gronk then Lloyd then crapshoot..gosh..I guess Starks then Manningham

2. Lucas

November 9, 2011 at 6:04 am

I’m considering trading Demarco Murray for Cam Newton. Who would you rather have on your dynasty team for the next 5 – 10 years?

• Josh G

November 9, 2011 at 6:49 am

Unless you have Rodgers, I’d acquire Cam without hesitating.

• Warren

November 9, 2011 at 8:56 am

The question should be more like, “would you rather have Murray on your team for the next five years or Cam for the next ten?” Cam, hands down.

3. Max

November 9, 2011 at 11:53 am

Actually, you published Seattle’s Mike Williams stat line above.
    Not TB M. Williams

4. Pedro Cervantes

November 9, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Johnny Knox has been killing me all year in my 32 team dynasty league. He hasn’t been terrible when he has gotten the ball but that is the problem, they for some reason refuse to throw his way. I was offered David nelson or Robert meachem straight for him. Should I take either of the offers or just stay put with him and hope for the best?

• Vince

November 10, 2011 at 3:51 am

He will be a free agent after this year and playing elsewhere. Still a crap shoot but he has way more talent than knox.

• Draho

November 10, 2011 at 10:59 am

I think Chicago would be so much better if they would lineup Bennett & Knox as WR 1 & 2 and not let the other ‘receivers’ on their roster do anything more than cameos. Unless that happens, I think Meacham is the best of the 3 you mentioned.

On another note, if you don’t mind my asking…how do you work a 32 team league? Specifically with QB/bye issues? Do you just try to gobble as many qb’s on your roster as you can to avoid taking a 0 during bye weeks?

• Pedro Cervantes

November 10, 2011 at 4:56 pm

It’s basically two 16 team( one AFC one nfc) leagues combined thru a forum. When we started everyone selected a real NFL team. From that team you began with their k and d/st as a permanent fixture of your team( they cannot be traded) you also got to select 3 keepers from that team. For example I selected the packers a year ago and selected Rodgers, Grant and Jennings. Those players can be traded. Then we did a offline draft thru the forum where everyone signs in as their NFL team and posts their trading blocks, trades and waivers thru. From there on we have a one round rookie draft and 2 rounds free agent draft in the offseason. As far as the qbs go, most teams have one starter and most are smart enough to handcuff them as the league is so deep. But there are some teams with no starting qb or some that have 2 obviously. Usually teams with no starting qb just take the zero because they either have a rookie in the wings or collect backups( everyone knows how many qbs some NFL teams go thru. It seems like this would upset the balance of the league but it doesn’t at all. All our 32 members are extremely committed and teams with no qb know their rookie pick will be better for it and they can play for the future and draft one next year or trade a team that maybe has two.
        Heres the forum link if u wanna check it out- http://s4.zetaboards.com/NFL_Fantasy_League/index/

Also had another offer I’m torn on.
        I give Matt forte and Greg Olsen
        I receive mjd karim and Vernon Davis

My team is one of the favorites to win it all this year if that changes anything.

My starting lineup-
        Rodgers Forte Bradshaw Marshall Knox Jacoby Jones Olsen Pack D Mason Crosby

Should i jump on this trade at first glance it seems I should but Vernon seems to be truly limited by Alex smith and mjd has been good but forte has been great. He seems to be finally proving he’s elite. Take it or stand pat?

• Draho

November 11, 2011 at 9:20 am

Thanks on the summary…interesting.

I’d pass on the trade. I’d call Olson/Vernon a wash at this point, and I would give Forte the edge over MJD/Karim. I think Forte puts up decent numbers for as long or longer than that combo will. I don’t see Karim taking over as a full time back when MJD slows down.

• Pedro Cervantes

November 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm

What if that offer for Knox was,

Knox and Jacoby Jones for meachem and David nelson?

Or Knox and Jacoby for meachem and Donald Jones?

Should i do either of those? If so which one? Or stick to just Knox for meachem?

• Tim

November 15, 2011 at 10:57 am

I think you’re just as well off flipping coins when choosing between guys like Jacoby Jones, Nelson and Donald Jones.

If I’d do anything, I’d just go straight up Knox for Meacham and keep your fingers crossed Meacham stays healthy.

5. Coach

November 11, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I need one of each. non PPR

Jackie Battle, James Starks or BJGE

Stevie Johnson or Antonio Brown

6. Sensai_John_Kreese

November 11, 2011 at 10:11 pm

ok, so i havent really asked any lineup questions this year, but i think i have a tough one here

pick 2-

Chris Johnson
    Roy Helu
    Hakeem Nicks (who isnt 100 percent)

• Coach

November 13, 2011 at 8:56 am

i’ll go for you. Johnson and Helu

7. MDA

November 12, 2011 at 2:32 am

PPR League please pick two to start:

Jackie Battle
    Chris Ogbonnaya
    Earl Bennett
    Mike Williams (TB)
    David Nelson

• Coach

November 13, 2011 at 8:57 am

Battle and Williams

wind is 50 MPH on chicago’s lake front. I know. i live here. going to be tough to pass.

8. Camel

November 13, 2011 at 5:10 am

1/2 ppr. Wasn’t sure where to put my lineup question this week… Thx guys.
    1.Pick two: Bowe, CJ2K, Blount, Julio Jones, Beanie
    2,Pick one: Vernon Davis or Fred Davis
    3.Pick one: Wiilis Mcgahee, Roy Helu, Ingram or Hakeem Nicks (less than 100%?)

• Coach

November 13, 2011 at 8:58 am

1. Bowe and Jones
      2. Fred Davis
      3. Mcgahee

• Coach

November 13, 2011 at 8:59 am

I’m sorry make that Johnson and Jones.

9. Scott

November 15, 2011 at 9:07 am

I am in a Dynasty League and currently have three waivers left to use for the season.

I am contemplating picking up three of the following players:

1. Ben Tate
    2. Denarius Moore
    3. Greg Little
    4. Torrey Smith
    5. Jabaal Sheard (IDP League)

Anyone’s input would be greatly appreciated.

10. Captain Obvious

November 15, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Yes, pick those people up… seems like your in a very shallow league.