Week Five Aftermath

When reports surfaced early Sunday morning that Ben Roethlisberger was limping around badly and looking relatively gimpy in pre-game warmups, many owners hit the panic button and went to their secondary option.

Oops.

Roethlisberger’s five touchdown performance in week five showed us once again that you just never know in fantasy football. That was just one of week five’s highlights, so let’s rewind in the week five aftermath.

Week Five Fantasy MVP

Adrian Peterson could seemingly win this every week, but scoring three touchdowns by 10:35 PDT let quite a few owners get out and start raking leaves instead of watching their teams get slaughtered any longer by Peterson.

Week One Fantasy LVP

We’ve likely seen the last of Kyle Orton for a while. His putrid first half that featured 34 passing yards and one interception saw him get benched in favor Tim Tebow. Things have gone south awfully fast for Orton and it’s quite possible we’ve seen the last of him until 2012.

Lineup Fun

You probably won if your lineup looked like this…

QB Ben Roethlisberger PIT  = 228 passing yards, five touchdowns, one INT
RB Adrian Peterson MIN  = 122 rushing yards, three touchdowns
RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis NE  = 136 rushing yards, 13 receiving yards, two touchdowns
RB Fred Jackson BUF  = 111 rushing yards, six catches, 85 receiving yards, one touchdown
WR Dwayne Bowe KC = Seven catches, 128 receiving yards, two touchdowns
WR Pierre Garcon IND = Five catches, 125 receiving yards, two touchdowns
WR Victor Cruz NYG = Eight catches, 161 receiving yards, one touchdown
TE Vernon Davis SF  = Three catches, 39 receiving yards, two touchdowns

You probably lost if your lineup looked like this…

QB Kyle Orton DEN = 34 passing yards, one INT
RB Joseph Addai IND  =
19 rushing yards
RB Stevan Ridley NE  =
13 rushing yards
RB Cedric Benson CIN  =
53 rushing yards
WR Vincent Jackson SD
= Four catches, 38 receiving yards
WR Mike Williams TB =
Four catches, 28 receiving yards, one lost fumble
WR Steve Johnson BUF =
Four catches, 29 receiving yards
TE Marcedes Lewis
= One catch, six receiving yards

Gut Checks

I’d be worried if…

I own Josh Freeman or Mike Williams in my dynasty league. The Bucs just look awful and it seems like each of these two have taken a major step back in their development.

I have Kyle Orton in my dynasty league. He’s not going to see the field again now that Tebow has taken over. It’s tough to see him being relevant ever again in fantasy leagues. He won’t find much on the free agent market this Summer.

I expect immediate dividends from Denarius Moore. While his long-term future looks bright, he hasn’t been a big part of the offense for a bit now.

I’m expecting Stevan Ridley to take over for BGE any time soon. While it looked likely last week, Green-Ellis put up a monster performance to throw some water on the rookie’s progression up the depth chart.

I have Mario Manningham. He’s being outplayed by Victor Cruz in a big way. It’s hard to see him re-emerging to be the player many thought he’d be this season.

I expect a resurgence from Brandon Lloyd with Tim Tebow at the helm.  Umm, no.

I’m hoping for a breakout from Marcedes Lewis. The fear many owners had all along was that last was a fluke – even with the quarterback trouble in Jacksonville, he isn’t doing much to prove those owners wrong.

I expect a repeat performance of this week from Hines Ward. He’s an afterthought in the Steeler offense, so sell now if you can find a buyer.

I’m hoping for Michael Crabtree to emerge.  It’s becoming more and more apparent that he’s another SF wideout bust.

I’m banking on Thomas Jones to re-capture some of his old magic yet again. He looks old and worn out at this point. When Jackie Battle makes you look bad, that’s saying something.

I’m looking for some bye week production from Derrick Mason. Mason is one of the most underrating fantasy wide receivers of all time, but he’s fading quickly even with the move to Houston.

I think Knowshon Moreno is going to re-capture some of his value. Willis McGahee actually looks pretty spry and one thing Willis will do is run hard – not exactly what Moreno is known for, eh?

I’m going to get WR1 numbers from Marques Colston this year. Jimmy Graham has taken over as option number one in New Orleans and it doesn’t look like he’s going away any time soon.

I expect any form of consistency from LeGarrette Blount. Injuries aside, he’s only going to have good games when the Bucs are winning.  It really is that easy.

A Look Ahead to Hot Names on the Week Six Waiver Wire
Remember, we focus on some of the lesser names here in addition to some of the obvious.

1. Jackie Battle, RB KC

He was one of DLF’s favorite sleepers when he was in Dallas five years ago. While his career has been very quiet thus far, it does look like he’ll get a decent chance in Kansas City.

2. Brady Quinn, QB DEN

Sneaky, I know. Just figure the Broncos are NOT going back to Kyle Orton. If you’re not a Tebow believer, Quinn could make a decent stash.

3. Earnest Graham, RB TB

Don’t forget, he was a major player a few years ago.

4. Donald Brown, RB IND

If Addai is hurt, Brown will get a chance with Delone Carter to carry the load. This could be his one final chance to prove his worth. While the odds are stacked against him, it’s worth a shot.

Ken Kelly
Coach

My top 3 WRs on the “you probably lost list”. Amazingly because of Mason Crosby, Arian Foster, Jimmy Graham and my opponent starting Matt Ryan, I won by 2 points anyway.

Coach
Reply to  Coach

that also includes me benching BJGE for James Starks.

DLF_KenK
Reply to  Coach

Who in the world told you to do that! Heh.

Rob

Love Freeman, hates his performance thus far…looking to nab another QB for some short term magic.

Looking at Tebow and Painter

Painter’s had two great starts (~23pts/week) but Tebow has legs under him and a crazy energy. Who would you guys roll with for now?

DLF_KenK
Reply to  Rob

Tebow and it’s not close. He’s a rare breed who is a much better fantasy player than real player at this point. He was 12th in scoring last week in most formats even with completing only four passes and playing in one half.

Killa Cam

who do you like better going forward?

danario alexander or antonio brown

DLF_KenK
Reply to  Killa Cam

Probably Brown, just because of the knee issues with DX.

Ken

Lee Evans ready to play? Free agent in my league and could be in big demand next week. What do you see his role going further?

DLF_KenK
Reply to  Ken

He’ll likely play the role of constant disappointment. He could have a big game here or there, but he’s too inconsistent for my taste. With Torrey Smith playing well, he’s not going to be the clear #2, either.

Drew

Jacboy Ford or Donald Brown?

DLF_KenK
Reply to  Drew

For the week, season and year, I’d go with Ford. I just don’t believe in Brown right now.

Alan Bauerle

Hey dynasty advice monster wassup!! Quick one for ya. In a 12 team dynasty league. Commish offered Stevan ridley for my #1 pick. Should I pull the trigger? It’s 1pt ppr 6td 1pt every 10 rushing/recieving. Also stevei johnson is he just in a slump? Should I look to move him too? FYI my picks are always late mid to late rd picks. Thanks buddy…

DLF_KenK
Reply to  Alan Bauerle

I’d actually pull the trigger on a late round #1 for Ridley in a dynasty league. The success rate of first rounders is about 50%, with the chances diminishing in the late first of a 12 team league.

I think Johnson has had a couple of clunkers, but nothing to worry about. He’s a buy low.

Joseph

I have LT – should I trade him for Malcolm Floyd (bye this week and offered to me), drop him to pick up Doug Baldwin (bye this week).

Also, my rbs are shot – I picked up Torain (only starter right now) and have Grant, Pierre Thomas, Caddilac and LT.

Bush is available – worth a drop? I have Torain and Thomas starting right now – i know, i’m in trouble….

DLF_KenK
Reply to  Joseph

Michael Bush or Reggie Bush? Either way, both are probably better than Caddy.

I’d take a run at Baldwin over Floyd and LT at this point. None are great options, but at least Baldwin is young and on a bit of a roll.

Ducky

Never thought I’d say this, but I picked up Darrius Heyward-Bey *shutter* this morning, & came home to find I already have an offer to trade him for Mark Ingram. Which, if either, might actually pay off in the end? Ingram has looked like shite but it’s hard to trust Bey to sustain the level he’s been at (side note, I already have Sproles who is increasingly looks like he should be the Saint’s go to guy anyway).

DLF_KenK
Reply to  Ducky

I’d do that trade in less time than it took me to write this…if that’s a dynasty league, it would probably be disputed.

Jay

i did a trade in my dynasty league. i received daniel thomas and kevin kolb for james starks and eli manning. eli was my 3rd qb behind brady and stafford so he was expendable. and with starks splitting time with grant right he was frustrating to own. i think thomas has a lot of upside. what are your thoughts?

DLF_KenK
Reply to  Jay

Pretty even trade, mostly because Kolb has been a real disappointment. I’m not a huge Starks fan because I see him as rather ordinary, so I think you did OK.

Thomas has been a real surprise. Apparently the preseason doesn’t mean much. With the performances of Newton and Thomas, it’s even tougher to evaluate rookies.

I think Thomas does have upside, more than Starks. I don’t see him as a RB1, but he could be a future RB2 if he continues to develop.

JMH

Would you drop Cutler for Tebow?

DLF_KenK
Reply to  JMH

In a yearly league, yes. In a dynasty league, no.