Regular Season – Week 1 Blog (Update: 9/8)

Each week of the regular season, on Monday or Tuesday, I’ll be posting a weekly blog that I’ll be using to keep you abreast of the news and notes that you need to be aware of for the upcoming slate of games.    The blog style makes for quick and easy edits which gets information into your hands much more quickly than I could otherwise.  Of course, we’ll still be writing our normal articles and highlight pieces for the events that require more focus or deeper analysis.

As part of these regular blogs, please feel free to shoot me questions, comments, lineup advice or anything else that is on your mind.   Let’s get started!

Thursday, Sept. 8 – 9:00 PM

Game on!  Literally.

Wow, couldn’t have asked for much more from the first game of the year.  Both Rodgers and Brees go over 300 yards, no interceptions and solid game play on both sides of the ball.  Hats off to both teams for a solid, largely mistake-free game.  A few notes from the game:

Running back James Starks appears to be the favored runner and looked strong, with good vision and the ability to move the pile.  Starks had a great looking TD run where he displayed his burst, vision and balance.  Shockingly though, Green Bay is still not feeding him the ball in the passing game.  Starks has great hands in that regard.  Ryan Grant looked good as well but it seems that Starks is going to be the hot hand for now.  We’ll know more next week with a more ‘normal’ game.

Greg Jennings still looks dominant out there and Rodgers looks for him constantly.  Finley, too, made some tough catches in traffic.

Jordy Nelson is obviously the WR3 and James Jones is wondering why he resigned in Green Bay, unless he’s looking for another ring rather than more snaps.

And what about Randall Cobb?  A few weeks ago Ken Kelly and I were talking about the rookie class and we both highlighted Randall Cobb as a player that we thought just had “it”.  He most certainly does.  I’m anxious to see him mature.  I just worry a bit that it will be much like the Saint’s receiver group in that there may not be enough balls to go around.

On the Saint’s side of the ball, Devery Henderson will again be a hot pickup and will likely disappear over the next few weeks, it’s his standard early season tease.  Pierre Thomas and rookie Ingram look destined for a split in carries, at least until Thomas goes down to his seasonal injury.  Ingram looked pedestrian and stiff and the Saints made a huge mistake not getting Thomas in the game for that last play.

Jimmy Graham looks to be as billed.  I loved Graham as a rookie and fully expected this production at some point.  He’s athletic and can make the tough catch.

Looking forward to Sunday!

Wednesday, Sept. 7 – 9:15 PM

Peyton, Eli and a preacher walk into a bar….

Ok, it’s no joke, Peyton’s year is obviously in serious jeopardy.  Even though all reports about Peyton’s third surgery appear to be premature, there’s no denying the fact that things are more significant than what we’re being told.  And put me in the camp that it’s quite likely that Manning will miss a large portion of season.  I wouldn’t expect that they would IR Manning at this point, choosing to bring him back, if capable, for a late season run or the playoffs.  It’s a huge blow to Manning owners, either way.  Downgrade all offensive receivers and perhaps slightly upgrade the Colts running game.

Positive news out of Philly in that Jeremy Maclin appears to be a full go.  No chance in my mind that he plays all offensive snaps, but he should receive enough to be a decent WR2.  If you have better choices, you may want to consider them but if not, don’t sweat playing Maclin.

Nothing new out of Ttitan camp in that Chris Johnson, too, is a full go and should get a full game of carries.  Second on the depth chart, Javon Ringer, has yet to practice this week and will likely not be playing this weekend, leaving rookie Jamie Harper to receive 5-10 touches.  Expect a heavy dose of Johnson.

Seattle is surprisingly not interested in Garrard. They’re going to be terrible, no two ways about it.  I’m even beginning to wonder if they aren’t already planning on a high draft pick to land either Stanford’s Andrew Luck or USC’s Matt Barkley.  Whitehurst will be starting by week four.  Lynch is back in practice now and Rice could miss week one.  You must have better options than either.

Michael Crabtree continues to make progress with his foot but likely won’t be available for the first week.  In fact, I’d peg week 3 as Crabtree’s official return.  Note that I don’t think you can immediately plug him into your lineup when he does return, but at least he’ll be back on the field.

Dwayne Bowe has had a good preseason and word out of the KC central is that he has been working hard in all phases.  It looks like he’s serious about posting good numbers again in 2011.  I have downgraded Bowe from last year’s numbers solely on the fact that there is no Moeaki at TE and they have no significant threat starting opposite Bowe.  He’ll get a ton of targets and perhaps even receptions, but I expect consistent double coverage and less than double digit TDs.

A receiver that I am watching this year is Mohamed Massaquoi in Cleveland.  I love his size and play making ability and I’ve always thought it strange that he hasn’t produced.  It’s not as if Cleveland has had a noteworthy quarterback in some time and while McCoy is anything but elite, I’ve been impressed thus far.  Massaquoi is heading into his third year and is clearly the WR1 in that offense.  As primarily a deep threat receiver, I think there are possibilities that many others aren’t seeing.

Update your lineups, New Orlean’s Lance Moore is out this week.

In Houston, who do you start at RB this week.  I expect Foster to give it a go in week one and you most likely have to get him in your lineup.  But as I’ve said before, if he wasn’t able to recover from the hamstring in three weeks, I don’t see him risking it after ten days.   If he does start, I think there’s a strong likelihood that he plays less than a quarter.  I also wouldn’t start Ward or Tate either on the hopes that they can get a score, just too much of a guessing game.

You know which unheralded rookie I have a good feeling about?  Tandon Doss in Baltimore.  There’s just something about this kid.

Tuesday, Sept. 6 – 8:45 PM

Another player goes down.  Today we get the news that the Giants woes continue with another big loss on the defensive side of the ball, this time in middle linebacker, Jonathan Goff (ACL).  Goff was no great shakes in fantasy but going into his second year in the middle for the Giants, I was intrigued by his potential.  As it stands, the Giants are fully expected to sign a veteran to compete with rookie inside backer Greg Jones but Jones will likely have a week or two to impress the coaching staff.  It’s been rumored that veteran Kawika Mitchell will be targeted.

Bigger news and a bigger shock overall was the report that Jacksonville has sent veteran QB David Garrard packing, leaving Luke McCown as the starter.  It will be Gabbert’s show by the end of the year, this much is obvious.  For the veteran Garrard, he’ll likely end up in Seattle, San Francisco or my dark-horse destination, Miami.  For the 33 year old, regardless of his ultimate landing spot, he’ll likely only be a stop gap solution.

In Philly, it seems that Casey Matthews is still your starting MLB.  I don’t get it as Jamar Chaney seems to be a natural fit at the position.  I’ll give two weeks before a switch is made.  Until then, if you are rostering one, you are rostering both, at least for a short time.  You don’t want to take up two roster spots for a single IDP.

C.J. Spiller fans, last chance to move him before he ends up being the next Donald Brown.  Speaking of Brown, word is that he is now the RB3 in Indi.  I expect a very fluid situation for the Colts backfield and I don’t trust any of them.  Carter isn’t an every down back but could have value in the short yardage and goal line game.  The Colts just don’t produce out of the offensive backfield  and Addai is a shaky RB2 at best, more than likely a solid RB3.  As for Brown, what a disappointment.  I loved the kid coming out of UCONN and I thought he had the perfect build, agility and work ethic to be an immediate success.  The pairing with Indianapolis couldn’t have been better for immediate impact.  Not.to.be.  He’ll get another chance at some point, most likely not in Indi, so keep him rostered for now.

For all of you Chris Johnson owners, start him comfortably this week.  There have been no touch limits installed and CJ has been working out.  He hasn’t taken many hits obviously but he won’t have camp legs which could be promising for his first game. He’s a true RB1 out of the gate.

There are a lot of story lines with this weeks games and it’s going to be a great Sunday.  I won’t be able to hold a chat this week but I’m planning on multiple game day chats throughout the season.

Keep your browsers pointed at your favorite news outlets and be ready to pounce on any last minute moves, signings or injuries.

Monday, Sept. 5 – 9:00 AM

It’s finally here, week 1!

The big news this week is that it appears as though the Colts will be without their offensive leader and perennial fantasy stud QB, Peyton Manning.  The writing has been on the wall for a couple of weeks now but the most recent rumor is troubling.  Neck issues can linger and end careers, especially in those that are older as Manning is.  The most recent rumor is that Manning may miss the first 4-6 games.  Kerry Collins will get the start.  Most seem to be tripping over themselves to downgrade the offense but I’m not so sure about that.  Collins obviously is no Manning but Wayne and Clark are still studs within their positions and you are starting them unless you have clear choices that are better.  The running game in Indi is less than ideal and no better than a RB3 situation, if you have Addai.  Watch the rumor about a needed second surgery, a report the Colts have denied.

What to do with Arian Foster?  Factual information as to his status has been weak, but that is the way of hamstrings.  In all likelihood, I expect that Foster will give it a go on Sunday, but I think the Texans would be best suited to sit him another week.  If he wasn’t able to overcome the injury in three weeks, I don’t see him being able to over come it in less than two.  Hamstrings are not something to play around with as tweaks can become much worse.  But only the Texans know the status and he’ll be risky either way.  If he’s starting, he’s tough to sit … but that doesn’t mean that he won’t take two hand-offs and be done for the day.  The best advice for Ward and Tate owners is probably to sit on your hands, at least for now.  Ward is counted on for pass protection but Tate is the better runner.  I wouldn’t use either in replacement of Foster win week 1.

Is this the year that the Lions actually take a step forward and stop being the doormat of the NFC North?  In following some of Detroit’s fan boards, I think many are being overly optimistic yet again at what the Lions can accomplish in 2011, but I am watching with a keen eye as something does feel different about 2011.  Once again, the year likely rests on the health of Matt Stafford but that offensive line is very suspect and I don’t think Johnson and Pettigrew are in the same class as Wayne and Clark or Jennings and Finley.  If Stafford can stay off his back, there’s a chance.

I’m extremely intrigued by Matt Ryan in 2011.  I think he may actually join the likes of Manning and Brees in averaging 40+ pass attempts per game.  As I mentioned in my last article, this is also the trend that I see emerging in the NFL.  Ryan has a legitimate shot to jump into the top five of fantasy quarterbacks.

A few other things that I’m going to be watching from week one ….

Can Joe Flacco take the next step.  He looks great as a passer and I think he’s got the leadership ability needed, but there’s a dynamic that’s been missing.  This may be the year where he either takes that step forward to break away from mediocrity or settles into an Eli Manning type of career, good but not great.

Is Jahvid Best anything more than Reggie Bush?  He has shown very little ability to run inside and I question his body’s ability to stay healthy.  Speaking of Reggie Bush, he’s teasing us again.  Watch his first couple of games and then sell high.  It’s tough to do, but fool us once shame on you, full us twice shame on us … fool us five times, who gets the blame?

Anyone else get the feeling that Michael Vick is going to let a lot of fantasy owners down this year?  They draw the Rams in week one and it’s a good way to start.

Aaron Rodgers is going to be unstoppable this year if he can stay healthy.  I simply can’t fathom what his year could look like with his receivers as good as they are and Finley back in the mix.  If he stays healthy, he’s going to go nuts.  The Saints open up in Green Bay which is sure to be a shoot-out.  Rodgers is going to go nuts!

I’m anxious to see what comes out of Arizona in week one.  Playing at home vs. the Panthers, will Larry Fitzfranchise regain his elite status?  Will Kolb be the quarterback the Cardinals sorely need?  Right now, it seems that the arrows are pointing up on both players.  Fitz is good in any situation but should be much better in 2011 with the ultra confident Kolb under center.  Fitz is an auto-start every week regardless, Kolb is middle of the pack until we see more.  Beanie Wells fans have to be excited.  I think he needed Ryan Williams in the mix to keep him running hard but he’s going to get his career high in touches.

The Panthers broke my heart this off-season.  It’s obvious that they view DeAngelo Williams as THE back and that they don’t trust Stewart but I’m still shocked that DWill resigned in Carolina – thus ending any hope that he’ll get a ring.  Kudos to both Williams and Steve Smith for sticking it out and making Panther fans proud.

Just how bad are the Seahawks and the Vikings going to be, especially the Seahawks.  At least the Vikings were smart enough to land McNabb.  The Seahawks inexplicably have handed the offense over to Jackson, at least in week 1.  Either way, downgrade both Rice and Lynch in that offense.  The offensive line is beyond horrific as is, and LT Okung can’t stay healthy.  I had high hopes for Lynch in 2011 but the Hawks just didn’t make any moves that give me confidence.  That said, Sidney Rice is one of my favorite NFL players and I’m happy to be rooting for the Hawks this year here in the Pacific NW.

Rashad Jennings is down for the year and many believe MJD is due for a bigger load than what was projected.  While this is likely true, I firmly believe you can’t put more carries on those knees.  His week 1 matchup vs. the Titans looks good and he’s a clear RB1.

For IDP format players, keep an eye on a couple of inside backers.  Joe Mays in Denver gets the start and there has been no clear indication as of yet regarding whether or not rookie Casey Matthews has retained his starting spot in the middle.  All signs point to Jamar Chaney being a better fit at the Mike.  I’ll also be watching Paul Posluszny and Nick Barnett, both playing with their new teams, Jacksonville and Buffalo respectively.

In Cincinnati, it’s like best to start no one other than Benson unless you are desperate.  Rookie A.J. Green looks great and I love his attitude but in that offense, it’s just hard to get excited.  I’m rooting for Andy Dalton but it’s going to take some time … a long time.

More to come as we get closer to kick off.  If you have questions or comments, be sure to chime in below.

Jeff Haverlack
Blade5
Reply to  Jeff Haverlack

Haha it’s all good!! We all make mistakes.

Mark

I disagree about Johnson and Pettigrew. I think with collins under center for the colts Johnson and Pettigrew are absolutely on par if not better than Wayne and Clark. I still think Finley (when healthy) and Jennings are a better duo. It’s a hard debate though, but in my opinion Johnson is the best WR and Pettigrew is the worst tight end. I’d rather start Johnson than Jennings or Wayne, but would rather start Clark or Finley than Pettigrew but if I had to pick a duo I’d rank them.

1. Jennings and Finley
2. Johnson and Pettigrew
3. Wayne and Clark

anthony

pick 2 to keep for week 1 and ROS 1 ppr

a collie
l moore
J nelson

Mark
Reply to  anthony

Moore and Nelson for me. Collie is questionable I think, that combined with Collins is enough for me to take the wait and see approach.

Mark
Reply to  Mark

Rotoworld is now saying Collie is playing, or at least participated in practice but I’d still be hard pressed to start him this week. Nelson for sure. Moore vs Collie is tougher.

Reply to  anthony

I’d play Moore and Nelson. Too many other question marks with Collie

Ken

for my final flex spot.
Jimmy Graham
Rob Gronkowski
CJ Spiller
Jordy Nelson
James Starks

Mark
Reply to  Ken

Starks or Graham for me

Reply to  Ken

If it’s PPR, I’d go with Graham or Nelson. Nelson is the safer choice but Graham has real potential to have a great first game.

Mark
Reply to  DLF_Jeff

per rotoworld the plan is to give Grant and Starks equal carries…don’t know if thats good or bad for his prospects. If its PPR, I’d agree with Jeff.

Jeremy

Who would you start in a ppr league for the flex?
Green-Ellis, Julio Jones or Jimmy Grahm

Reply to  Jeremy

Call me crazy but I’d have Jones in there. If you don’t want to take the risk, go with Graham. I think he’ll have 5-7 receptions.

Mark

Jones or Graham…leaning Graham until I see what Julio can do in regular season

terry

I need a RB#2 behind MJD.

Blount v. DET or D-Williams v. ARI?

I suffered with both D-Willy and J-Stewart last year. D-Will was getting nearly 2/3 of the carries then, as is the plan for this year. However, even when they weren’t splitting carries (after D-Will’s injury), neither was very productive. The offense was horrendous, no one respected the pass, and the o-line was injured and porous. Has anything changed there? Will Cam Newton add anything other than possibly eating up RB TD’s?

Thanks to this site I picked Blount off of the waiver wire last year and had him when he seemingly came out of no where and hurdled over Cadillac for the starting job. Kudos. I already know Blount won’t be on the field for 3rd downs; but if the DET offense goes off, does that mean he won’t be on the field much at all?

Maybe I can’t get over the horror of last year with both CAR RBs, but I’m leaning Blount.

Reply to  terry

Awesome, glad we could help and that you nabbed Blount. Now, get him in your lineup this weekend. You’re gut feeling is a good one and I wouldn’t suggest otherwise.

Nathan
Reply to  DLF_Jeff

Speaking of Blout, who do see as the Blount of 2011? Delone Carter?

Bills Fan
Reply to  terry

The thing I see as relevant is: Which team is likely to be able to move the ball and be in a situation to score (regardless of if it’s on the ground or not)

Right now I do not have faith in CAR at all.. (could be completely wrong and they come out with a dominant running game and DWill would be the man since he’s healthy)

TB should at least be able to move the ball better than CAR.. based on Freeman/Blount/Williams/Winslow etc. and even if its a shootout, they will try the goal line on the ground..

But thats me. I too was burned by CAR last year.. They have to prove to me that their TEAM as a whole is different from last year before I give them any benefit of the doubt. New Coach, New QB, and most the same as the team who finished last in the league last year.

My gut is with yours, if for no other reason than zero confidence in CAR.

Jeff

Need help for WRs (need 2), PPR league:

1) Miles Austin vs. NYJ
2) Anquan Boldin vs. PIT
3) Mario Manningham vs. WAS
4) Danny Ammendola vs. PHI
5) AJ Green vs. CLE
6) Andre Roberts vs. CAR

Thanks

Reply to  Jeff

Hmmm, could be an interesting decision here. I still like Austin this week and would play him without thinking about it. I don’t trust Boldin right now but I think he might actually have a good week. That said, I do like the Manningham play this week as Nicks will be the focus by the WAS secondary. AJ Green is intriguing as well but I rarely will recommend a rookie WR, especially one with a rookie QB. The only rookie WR I’ll recommend this week is Julio Jones in what I think could be the next high octane offense.

REM

Hey Guys,
Looking for line-up advice for week 1. Here is what I’m thinking, tell me if you have any changes or objections

QB: Freeman
WR1: Wallace
WR2: Mike Thomas
RB1: Cjohnson
RB2: McCoy
TE: Clark
W/R/T: BJGE
K: Janikowski
DEF: Pitt
BN: Witten, Moore, Crabtree, Ward, Manning, Thomas Jones

The positions I’m most unsure about are TE and W/R/T. I think Clark will benefit with collins under center but Witten has his buddy Romo back. They both have potential but I feel like BJGE will get goal line chances which are big point makers for him. I appreciate any insight you guys have. Thanks

Reply to  REM

I like Witten better than Clark myself. In PPR leagues last year, Witten was the #1 TE and Romo looks for him early and often. I’ll take that Romo/Witten relationship over Clark with Kerry Collins at the helm. But feel free to go with your gut if it says Clark, they are both good.

I like the BGE play as well over the others.

Bills Fan
Reply to  REM

Witten over Clark esp if PPR.

Clark is Peyton’s boy,.. but Peyton isn’t playing.. No idea if Collins is on the same page with Clark in the same way as Peyton was.

Doug

Non PPR league, 1 point per 20 rushing, pick 2
Moreno
Grant
McFadden
My gut tells me McFadden and Moreno.

Also, do I start Julio Jones over Emmanuel Sanders, Plastico, and Lance Moore?

Reply to  Doug

Yes on DMc and Moreno, without a second thought. I’m also a strong believer in following your gut … makes for a better night sleep either way.

I would start Jones over the rest, but I’m also high on Jones out of the gate, which I don’t usually suggest.

Blade5

Pick two out of the following to start this week (Standard Scoring, no-PPR):

1) Miles Austin vs. NYJ
2) Steven Jackson vs. Philly
3) Ahmad Bradshaw vs. WASH
4) Beanie Wells vs. Carolina

Reply to  Blade5

I’d go with Jackson and Wells. The difference is in it being a non-PPR. You have to take good RBs when you get the chance. I normally would be recommending Bradshaw over Wells but Wells is going to get the bulk of the carries for sure and is likely to get chances at the stripe. Bradshaw will be, at best, sharing red zone opps with the reinvigorated Brandon Jacobs. I love Bradshaw’s dynamic but I’d still start Wells. It could be a recipe for heartbreak, but I’d still do it.

Jackson is a lock.

chubs4cubs

ppr, who do i start for my flex- felix jones, fred jackson, or woodhead

Reply to  chubs4cubs

Yikes. Gotta go with Jones. He’s look resurgent and running with toughness. Good in PPR as well.

Paradis

A little late to the party…

So what do you guys think of these 2 scenarios? (PPR)

1- I’ve got Foster & Tate… and Grant & Starks. Which 2 do i start? I don’t have another flex worth, err, flexing.

2 – I have to choose a flex in my other league. options are
-P. Thomas
-P. Garcon (minus manning)
-M. Williams (no QB in SEA)
-D. Keller.

thanks

Reply to  Paradis

1. If Foster starts, have to start him. If I were a betting man, I’d take Starks over Grant … he’s MUCH better out of the backfield as a receiver.

2. I’d still go with Garcon in IND.

terry

Thanks for the advice above re: Blount v. Williams.

Which should I choose: Big Ben v. BAL or Sanchize v. DAL?

Sanchize has the better match up, with a banged up DAL secondary.
But Roethisberger consistently delivered last year after the suspension and has burners at WR (everyone but Ward).

I’m leaning Big Ben.

Would you consider sitting Dez Bryant (who maybe sitting on Revis island) and start P.Garcon (without Manning) or (more of a long shot) AJ Green (rookie to rookie)?

I’m leaning Dez (and hoping that Austin sits on Revis island), but might be persuaded otherwise.

Your comments are appreciated.

Reply to  terry

I’d go with Big Ben.

No, I’d stick with Dez. It’s one that you could regret in the end but it’s an easier choice. I wouldn’t even really consider not starting him.

terry
Reply to  DLF_Jeff

thanks.

Rugby1717
Reply to  DLF_Jeff

It’s going to be extremely hard for me not to bench dez this week in favor of Owen Daniels or Jimmy Graham one at TE one at flex. I will already be starting Wallace and Williams tb at wr. I still haven’t made up my mind.

Jeremy

In a ppr dynasty format, is Donald Brown cut-able. I can pick up B.Powell or H.Douglas to replace him. Any thoughts?

Reply to  Jeremy

Really depends on your RB depth. If you have shallow rosters, maybe but I wouldn’t cut him yet. I don’t like to cut bait on players until I feel that they really have little upside left and I’m not a big Carter fan. I wouldn’t cut him for Powell or Douglas at this point.

Jeremy
Reply to  DLF_Jeff

Thank you. I drafted him 2 years ago as a rook and have never once started him and and am losing my patience. Do you think Slaton is a better option? He’s a FA i can pick up

Coach

Non PPR… Tim Hightower or Benjarvus Green-Ellis

I already have Foster and MJD.

Also- any chance David Garrard ends up relevant again? He was my third string behind Peyton and Sam Bradford. So with Peyton hurting I now have Bradford and Fitzpatrick. Kind of scary.

Reply to  Coach

I have to go with Hightower here although BGE is the better goal line back. I think Hightower is in for a lot of touches and there are just too many backs in NE to play BGE if you’ve got a back that is guaranteed RB1 type of touches.

Reply to  Coach

Oh … on Garrard, absolutely. The order in which I believe there will be interest and a signing is:

1. Seattle
2. San Fran.
3. Miami

Reply to  Coach

As a slightly less likely possibility, 4. Cincinnati. But I don’t think CIN will want to put a lot of extra pressure on Dalton

Jay

I have a few dilemma’s this week. At qb2 do i start eli manning or stafford? at rb2+3 do i start mathews, starks, tolbert, or delone carter? and at d do istart the falcons or the ravens? Thanks for the help!

Reply to  Jay

Roll the dice and start Stafford, he looks like he’s poised to do very well. Mathrews and Starks for sure. Toss up on the D .. I’d start the Falcons.

pierrefr

Non PPR, pick a flex:
Starks
Tate (Hou)
Miller (Sea)

The safest choice seems to be Miller but we also know that TEs don’t score as much as RB. It looks like Starks is going to be in a committee which is not great to say the least. For Tate, I am leaning toward him if Foster is benched but otherwise he is probably not going to very relevant. Headaches!!!!

Reply to  pierrefr

I’d start Starks. I just don’t like that Seattle offense. Starks could get a good number of touches but you’re right in that there is no great choice in that bench. Starks is my pick.

Marcus M.

I’m in a distance scoring league… touchdowns only… have a trade offer on the table… Would be trading Moreno and Colston for Beanie Wells…. We start 2 rb’s.. my number 1 is Mendenhall other then Moreno my other option at the moment is James Starks and Jonathan Stewart… at WR along with Colston (we start 2) I have Austin, Britt, and A.J. Green… should I do this deal? Brees is my qb… I like the fact that Beanie will get the goallines while Moreno’s will be vultured

Matt

Non PPR, 1 pt per 10 yds Rushing/Receiving

I need to start 1 of the following WRs:

Collie
AJ Green
J Nelson
B Gibson

I dont feel like any of them are exactly safe but think that Green has most upside.

who ya got?

Reply to  Matt

I’d rank Green and Nelson about even but Cinci could be throwing all day long and Green is going to receive a lot of targets. If it’s TDs you’re looking for … roll the dice with Green. Nelson is the safer play if you think it’s going to be a very close fantasy game.

Ken

C.J. Spiller fans, last chance to unload him

what about if he turns out to be the next Jamaal Charles?

Reply to  Ken

Then I’ll be very wrong and disappointed I didn’t take a flyer on him after the 8th round of a draft. That said, he has shown nothing that leads me to believe that he will be anything close to Charles. That’s not to say that he shouldn’t be rostered, he most certainly should be … I just haven’t seen anything that leads me to believe he’s going to show something he hasn’t yet.

sensai_john_kreese

Jeff or Ken, another IDP question for you guys, if you dont mind

With the Jonathan Goff injury in New York, it would appear that rookie LB Greg Jones is in place to start. Im not familiar with his work at Michigan State, Im just wondering if you guys think he might be worthy of a roster spot in dynasty and if that answer is yes, i am able to sign him for up to 4 years in our league, what do you think?

Please, need an answer by kickoff Thursday, at which point all contracts revert to 1 year deals

TY guys!!

Reply to  sensai_john_kreese

It’s risky to sign him for that long if it’s going to handcuff you at all but he’s certainly in line for work and as a young rookie, you never know what he could become. He’ll get at least a couple of games to show something which is all you can hope for early on in a young LB.

If you can swing it, pick him up. I wouldn’t play him if you have better choices though.

sensai_john_kreese
Reply to  DLF_Jeff

thanks a lot jeff, i picked him up already, not playing him…my only dilemma is how long to sign him for

Reply to  sensai_john_kreese

Well, you’ll likely know by mid-season whether he’s a good keeper or not.

Dan

BJGE at MI or do i go with TURNER at CHI

Reply to  Dan

Gotta stick with the guaranteed touches of Turner

chubs4cubs

This site is pretty awesome… not many fantasy writers will answer everyones lineup questions

ppr league
wouldd you go with felix vs nyj or greene vs dallas

also flex position, owen d vs colts or s moss vs giants?

Reply to  chubs4cubs

Glad you’re liking the site Chubs, hope you sign up on the forum if you haven’t already and become part of our community. We’re trying to take over the fantasy football world.

As much as I’d like to drink to Kool-aid for Jones, I can’t do it if there’s a better match up to choose from. I’d take Greene in this case.

Get Moss in there vs. the Giants. He’s unappreciated and is going to catch a lot of balls this year.

John

i know you said i should start foster tolbert and mathews as my 3 rb. but with foster very iffy for week 1 would it be smart to play starks tomorrow night just in case foster doesn’t play so then i could play mathews tolbert and starks. or should i be confident enough to sit starks and if foster doesn’t play have delone carter as rb3. what should i do?

DLF_KenK
Reply to  John

That’s a tough call for a Thursday. If I didn’t have a clear advantage over the team I was playing, I’d roll the dice and keep Foster in the lineup. Starks should outscore Carter this week, but Carter could also get a couple of goal line chances. Either way, neither of those players can be seen as a really significant upgrade over the other, so the risk of keeping Foster in the lineup isn’t so severe.

Mac

1/2 ppr dynasty, need some advice fellas

Pick one – Bowe, Jimmy Graham, Blount, Beanie Wells or Addai?

Pick one – Jahvid Best or Kenny Britt?

Pick one – Moreno/kendricks or Bowe/Collie?

Thanks much

sensai_john_kreese
Reply to  Mac

BOWE

i’d go britt there

You cant go Bowe/Moreno?….I suppose im leaning toward Bowe/Collie there

sensai_john_kreese
Reply to  sensai_john_kreese

Sorry, i want to add something…check the injury reports, if Cassel doesnt go, disregard the Bowe endorsement. Also, as much of a joke as my Buffalo bills tend to be, we actually have a pretty stout pass defense.

The answer to question 1 is either Bowe or Blount, but understand that Blount isnt a 3 down back.

DLF_KenK
Reply to  Mac

I assume this is three different leagues we’re talking about here. I’d honestly go with Wells this week against the Panthers. Cassel hasn’t looked great thus far and Wells gets guaranteed touches against a bad Carolina team.

I’d go with Best in the second set. Detroit’s offense looks pretty potent and Best should get a few catches to help you as well. I don’t trust the chemistry between Britt and Hasselbeck yet.

I’d go with the Bowe and Collie combo in the third one. Obviously, Moreno and Bowe is the best como there, followed by Bowe and Kendricks in my mind.

sensai_john_kreese
Reply to  DLF_KenK

Ken is smarter than i am, listen to him

i will never advise anyone to go with Beanie Wells, even in a slam dunk situation…but as a michigan fan, im biased 🙂

Mac
Reply to  DLF_KenK

Really appreciate the advice Ken (and Sensai!). Yes, this is 3 separate leagues. I just got Beanie as a throw in (prior to the R Williams injury), and swore I would only start him in bye weeks, but what the hell, I will go for it.

Ps, I joined the forum and have a few posts already. Looking forward to lots of great discussions….

Reply to  Mac

With only a 1/2 pt PPR I’d probably go with the guaranteed touches of Wells myself with Bowe being a very close 2nd depending on Cassel’s injury status.

I’d go with Best until Britt can prove that his hamstring is healed. He has struggled with it for some time now. I like Best early in the season.

Bowe/Collie for me.

Paradis

Odd yet important question…

I’m in a keeper league (PPR, 3 Keepers) but we also have a 4 man rookie practice squad – where you can stash and groom rookies that don’t count against your active bench. The bonus is you can carry over 1 rookie every year (essentially 4 keepers total)

Catch is – once your promote/play your rookie, he can’t go back to the practice squad. you have to sit on it.

This year i stole Ingram and he’s on my squad. Wasn’t going to activate him yet (or at all maybe this year) but Foster in doubt has me wondering…. Should I? I have P. Thomas, Hightower, So I’d be activating Ingram as a flex.

Worth it tonight?

Reply to  Paradis

Yes, I’d activate him as I think he’s going to provide enough value to keep him active. Even if he doesn’t in 2011, his situation is such that you can comfortably keep him for some time.

DRROB

Hi DLF Gods,

Have a question on a WR2, 0.5 PPR

Currently have Mike Thomas in there opposite WR1 Mike Wallace.

I have Ward, Moore, & Crabtree on the bench. Moore is hurt, Crabtree is banged up and Ward is declining. I felt fine with Thomas until they cut Garrard, now I’m wondering if B. Edwards would be a better play this week. Unless you think strongly towards another WR I’ll probably run with Thomas, Thoughts?

Thanks a lot. Looking forward to another great season

Reply to  DRROB

I think you meant DLF “Guys”. 🙂

I think you stick with Thomas until you see more from Edwards. Thomas is a sneaky play this week even with McCown as your starter. I’d stay with him. Your reasoning is sound.

Good luck this season! Love this time of year.

Who to start?

With my extremely young team i’m not sure who to start this week at my rb positions or my flex. Start 2wr, 2rb, and 1 flex (wr/rb).

starting wrs are : Calvin and TBMW

Here is where I need the help:

Pick 2-3: Greene, Beanie, Ingram, Pierre, RyMatthews, Tolbert

Pick 1: (if you think it’s a better start than any of the aforementioned rbs) Julio, Jordy, Collie, Little

Thanks in advance guys! Still can’t get enough of the site. Cheers!

sensai_john_kreese
Reply to  strim5181

call me crazy, but id go beanie, greene and julio

Reply to  strim5181

Thanks for the note on the site, that’ what we like to hear. Please tell others and get active on the forums!

PPR or not would make a difference so I’ll assume that it is.

I’d go with the guaranteed touches of Green and Wells this week. Ingram and/Thomas are okay but I want to see how the carries fall out first before starting either. Same thing goes with Mathews this week. I think Mathews will bounce back but I’m not THAT comfortable in starting him.

And I agree with Sensai above in starting Julio. I just have a feeling about him this week and I like him better than the aforementioned RBs that won’t be starting for you.

Good luck!!!

bdynomite

Pick 1: Ryan, Stafford

Pick 1: Foster, Wells

Pick 2: Bowe, D-Jax, TBMW, Finley, Graham

Thanks in advance!

Reply to  bdynomite

Ryan
Wells
Bowe and TBMW

Watch Friday’s practice report for more info on Foster. If he starts on Sunday he’s tough to sit but I’d lean toward Wells and no risk.

oweno

Great site, appreciate the advice.

Who would you start this week? I’m leaning towards Kolb but torn between the RB’s – PPR.

Kolb or Freeman
DWill or Hightower

Thanks!

Reply to  oweno

I like both QBs this week but I favor the more established Freeman at home for week 1. QBs out of the gate can be erratic (not so last night) and Freeman’s rushing yardage gives you a few extra points.

I think you have to ride Hightower and the more guaranteed touches, especially in a PPR format which Hightower is best in. I do like Dwill’s matchup better but I’d lean toward Hightower. It’s VERY Close on this one though and it’s okay to follow your gut.

Casey

This game sure made me feel better about my bench depth. Nelson, Meachem, and Graham all had huge games.

It’s not going to happen every week, and even though I wasn’t starting them, it sure feels good when you’re previous season waiver pick ups hits it hard.

Reply to  Casey

I very much like Nelson and Graham, I think their roles will be much the same and you can depend on them. Meachem in that offense is anyone’s guess. Every week someone new will be the target and it reminds me of the Pats of a couple years ago. Meachem is definitely playable, but not more than a WR3 in my mind.

Ken

If Arian Foster is out for week 1 should I start Ben Tate over LeGarrette Blount?

Ken
Reply to  Jeff Haverlack

I had Tate in but based on your reply switched it back and put Blount in. So far not looking good.

Reply to  Ken

Yeah, that didn’t work out at all. But I’d do it again without knowing how HOU would split carries. I’d take Blount in that situation 10 out of 10 times.

Ken
Reply to  DLF_Jeff

I just knew Blount was going to lay an egg and my gut was telling me Tate was the play but in total 4 so called experts plus every week 1 rb list said start Blount so I did and it cost me big time.

Reply to  Ken

Yeah, that’s why if you follow me at all, I always say that the tie goes to YOUR gut because that way you can sleep at night knowing that you made YOUR decision, not someone else. Looking at the situation though, you have Houston that was talking about a split of time at best between Ward and Tate and Blount is coming off a great 2010 campaign without a lot of competition and against a team that he should run well against. In fantasy, it’s usually best to take the guaranteed touches over trying to outguess a coaching staff.

PAT

Deciding on RB2 & Flex for PPR. Between Blount/Wells/Moreno/Kendricks(against PHI LBs?) .

QB Freeman
RB1 McCoy
RB2 ?
WR1 Rod White
WR2 M Wallace
TE Graham
FLX ?

PAT
Reply to  Jeff Haverlack

Thanks Jeff. DLF is doing great work on the site and on twitter.

Ryan

Do I trade Lee Evans for a 2012 2nd Round Pick, last year the teams pick I would be getting was 2nd last.

My roster is:

QB – Brady, Eli, Collins, Kaepernick, Clausen
RB – Gore, Grant, Helu, Vereen, Leonard, T.Jones
WR – Berrian, Branch, Breaston, Easley, Evans, Gaffney, Hankerson, Jenkins, Julio Jones, Mason, Mitchell, S.Moss, Obomanu, Rice, Steve Smith CAR, Stuckey, Walter
TE – Clark, Gresham, Housler, Watson

Thanks for the help and any more suggestions on what to do with this roster would be appreciated.

sensai_john_kreese
Reply to  Jeff Haverlack

call me crazy, but i remember when Lee Evans was a low end wr2, and he is only 4 months older than Roddy White, so i dont want to hear that he has lost a step. I think that Evans may have a shot at being this year’s Brandon Lloyd…but i DID say i was crazy, right?

sensai_john_kreese
Reply to  sensai_john_kreese

crazy and stupid, apparently lol

Duane

0.5 PPR, Greene or Bradshaw

kevin

peyton manning owner needs to start craig fitzpatrick or kerry collins – thoughts ?

kevin
Reply to  kevin

ryan fitzpatrick or collins lol

Reply to  Jeff Haverlack

Eesh

Steven

1 PPR 12 Team
I need two of these guys
Marshawn Lynch vs. SF