No Shocker

As expected, Jeremy Shockey was released by the New Orleans Saints this offseason. He subsequently signed a new contract with the Carolina Panthers. While many dynasty league owners are focusing on trying to gauge Shockey’s value, there’s another player who should be given more attention after this move by the Saints.

His name is Jimmy Graham.

Graham has long been a favorite here at DLF and now he’s going to get a major opportunity as the starting Tight End in New Orleans.  His numbers last year were quite good for a rookie. After all, his 31 catches, 356 yards, and five touchdowns were actually enough to merit a spot in most standard leagues.

Graham’s future is incredibly bright. He showed his ability late in the season, with four of his five total touchdowns coming in the last three games. With Shockey out of the way, this University of Miami product has the show for himself and is poised to show people he’s much more than a workout wonder.

So, where does he rank?

Graham is nowhere near the elite Tight Ends in dynasty league value. However, he’s a great player to target as a high-end number two with the potential to grow into a top flight option in even in shallowest of dynasty leagues. He’s a major buy candidate this offseason.

As far as Shockey goes, his career is pretty much in the tank. In his ten year career, he’s never played in all sixteen games, so health is obviously a factor. Couple that with the move to a team with no franchise quarterback and you have a recipe for disaster. I’d be selling Shockey for whatever I could get at this point. He’s simply not going to get a sniff of playing time on most dynasty league rosters. Let someone else waste the space on him.

The other player whose value is affected is Dante Rosario. You can expect the Panthers to let him walk now and he’s no longer worthy of a roster spot unless he’s picked up by a solid offensive team promising him major playing time. Let’s just say that’s highly unlikely.

The moving of Shockey was a relatively quiet one in the NFL with the labor dispute, but it could create some significant waves in dynasty circles.

Ken Kelly

Ken Kelly

Senior Partner - Executive Editor at DynastyLeagueFootball
Ken is a corporate trainer by day an a tireless editor of dynasty content by night. His passion for the World Champion Seattle Seahawks is second only to his love of fantasy football and the dynasty format.

Ken is on Twitter at DLF_KenK
Ken Kelly

Latest posts by Ken Kelly (see all)

1. Tim

March 21, 2011 at 4:34 am

I’m sort of surprised you see Graham as a “major buy candidate this offseason”. If recent posts in the forum are any indicator, his owners expect top tier compensation for him. Personally, I see him as a sell-high assuming you can get top-five value for him coming back. At a minimum, I think he would be very difficult to acquire and probably not worth it except in TE premium leagues.

• Hot nikkels

March 21, 2011 at 10:23 am

I’m one who is high on him and that was before Shockey left town. With that being said if I was able to get a top pick for him I’d move him, but I’d rather see what this kid can do in the Saints O as the main TE as opposed to trading him for a mid first or later. Most probably didn’t expect him to produce until the 2012 season, but he’s performed well way before that time.

Barring an injury I don’t see why he can’t score 10+ tds. Receptions and yardage are tough to gauge because Brees spreads the rock all over, but I’ve seen enough to feel comfortable with Graham as a weekly starter.

• DLFKenK

March 21, 2011 at 10:43 am

Well, with any buy candidate, price is the most important factor. People who use this site are pros, no doubt. My thinking is if you can snag him from an owner who doesn’t really recognize his potential, you do it.

If his owner in your league expects top-5 TE value from him, you don’t.

He’s a guy you kick the tires on to make sure his owner realizes what he may have. If he doesn’t, make an advantageous offer.

• Warren

March 21, 2011 at 11:01 am

Another owner in my league inquired about Graham. He suggested Dallas Clark. I’m not sure if he also wanted something else, but regardless, I opted to decline.

• Justin

March 21, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I am in a 20 team league where we use 2 starting TE’s. I currently have Michael Hoomanawanui and Jeremy Shockey. I am looking to upgrade at TE. I really like Graham and was thinking of making a move for him. I have the 13th pick in our draft coming up. Do you think that is to much to offer? or should I try Shockey plus my 2nd round pick?

• DLFKenK

March 22, 2011 at 7:48 am

I’d agree with Justin on that front. I doubt 1.13 is enough to get him. If it is, I’d do that deal based on your current TEs in a 2TE league.

2. Tim

March 22, 2011 at 6:27 am

Justin – I don’t think the 1.13 pick is enough to get him in a league that requires 2TEs. Tim