Offseason Sell List

In the second of our two-part series, we take a look at players who are prime “sell” candidates in dynasty leagues.

Before you read further, you need to understand exactly what we mean here. If you are contending team, many of these players could help you win a title next season. If that’s the case, you should likely hold on to them, depending on the depth you have on your club.

If you’re a rebuilding team, the players on this list will likely give you at least some value now instead of leading you to a mediocre 5-10 season or retiring off your roster in the near future.

One of the biggest mistakes rookie dynasty league owners make is holding on to a player after his value has diminished. In fact, we have listed a few of those players at the bottom of this list as players you’ve likely missed the boat on. If you can even get any type of below market value from this group, you’re probably doing yourself a favor.

Away we go…

Carson Palmer, QB, CIN

You have to wonder what life would have been like had he just opted for surgery a few years back. Without his trademark arm strength, he’s become a shell of his former self.

LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, NYJ

Fresh of a productive season, I’d be sending him away to anyone who thinks a repeat is coming in 2012.

London Fletcher, LB, WAS

His production has been as consistent as they come, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

Michael Turner, RB, ATL

He’s a trademark example of a “sell high” right now. Turner comes off a season with 346 touches and turns 29 in a couple of weeks. If you don’t think you can contend in the next couple of years, holding on to him is going to do you no good.

Santana Moss, WR, WAS

Moss had a good season, but his age and the questions at quarterback in Washington make him a prime candidate to move.

Brandon Lloyd, WR, DEN

As I’ve said many times on this site, the list of wide receivers who break out in their 8th season is short. The list of those who repeat it at age 30 is even shorter.

Hines Ward, WR, PIT

He’s being phased out in Pittsburgh as Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders emerge.

Reggie Wayne, WR, IND

This is likely the most controversial name on this list. Look, he’s as consistent as they come. However, there are a few things that concern me.

First, he had just one touchdown and 143 yards in his last four games combined.

Second, he scored just six touchdowns all last season.

Third, he turns 33 in November.

Now, I’m not telling you he won’t be great next year, but you could potentially get maximum value for him now before he starts to do a Marvin Harrison-like fade. If I can get another top 8 WR for him, I go for it.

Cedric Benson, RB, CIN

He just looked beat up last year.

Anquan Boldin, WR, BAL

I expected so much more from Boldin this season. He was no better than the 3rd option behind Todd Heap, and Derrick Mason last season. Add in the fact that Rice catches a lot of passes and you have a very high paid possession receiver.

Steven Jackson, RB, STL

He has 654 carries the past two seasons and his yards per carry dipped below four this past year. The tread is starting to get thin here, folks.

Antonio Gates, TE, SD

Here’s another bitter pill to swallow. How many years does he realistically have left? If I was building around Gates, I’d be very concerned about those feet.

Peyton Hillis, RB, CLE

I’m sure I’ll be nailed for this one, too. I just think if you can get another owner in the league to give you top 5 RB value for him, I’d jump on it. There are too many variables (new coach, Hardesty returning, fumbling issues, recovery from an enormous workload) working against him repeating his numbers from last season.

Terrell Owens, WR, FA

He might belong in the “missed the boat” category, but he’s a great mercenary to move to a contending team. He could easily be a missing piece for a title contender and one they’d pay a little to get.

Brian Urlacher, LB, CHI

See Fletcher, London.

Ray Lewis, LB, BAL

See Urlacher, Brian

Chris Wells, RB, ARI

I wouldn’t trade him for pennies on the dollar, but I wouldn’t hesitate to move him to a coach who believed he still has top 15 RB potential.

David Garrard, QB, JAX

Is there anyone more inconsistent on a yearly basis?

Joseph Addai, RB, IND

He’s just not going to be anything close to the Edgerrin James we loved in Indy, even if he comes back.

Chad Henne, QB, MIA

One of last season’s favorite sleepers, but we never believed the hype. Turns out we were probably right.

Donald Driver, WR, GB

James Jones and Jordy Nelson have shown they’re more than capable and Driver is going to be the fourth option at best when Finley returns next season.

Jacob Tamme, TE, IND

With the imminent return of Dallas Clark, Tamme becomes a must sell. It’s truly amazing what Peyton Manning can do for someone.

Missed the boat: Clinton Portis, Chad Ochocinco, Steve Smith (CAR), Donovan McNabb, Brandon Jacobs, Roy Williams, Thomas Jones, Randy Moss, Vince Young, Mike Sims-Walker, Cadillac Williams, and Jeremy Shockey.

Ken Kelly
Adam

Already in rebuilding mode I’m happy to not have any of these guys on my roster.

This is a very big year for unrestricted free agency in my dynasty league (auction and term contracts format) and some of these players are bound to command high prices at auction, while I’m content to pass on placing bids.

ScottD

If you are in true rebuilding mode, I’d add the following name.

Peyton Manning. He’ll be 35 next season.

Check out the following QB from 35 on. Dan Fouts, Johnny Unitas, Dan Marino, Ken Anderson. It isn’t pretty. Warren Moon held up pretty well and Favre had a couple good season after 35, but most of these guys were declining fast.

Let me be clear, if you are in contention, I don’t think you can trade him, but if your rebuilding project is pointed at 2012 at soonest, I’m guessing you can find a contender who will pay very well for his services and really kickstart your rebuilding effort.

Dan

The only player on this list that saddens me to trade would be Antonia Gates. He has been on my teams for years. A few season ago he helped me make the playoffs…

Being a life long Browns fan I have enjoyed watching Hillis bull doze his way through the season but if an injury doesn’t get him in 11 hardesty will. Plus it remains to be seen what the new coach has in mind for an offense.

Bigcsr67

Hillis is on this list, but Arian Foster is not??? That seems a bit off?

DLF Ken K
Reply to  Bigcsr67

I’m squarely in the camp that Foster is going to be a top 5 running back next season and beyond. With Hillis, there are too many variables for me to believe it.

Again, I’m not trading Hillis for peanuts. If I can get top 5 value for him, I’m on it.

With Foster, I wouldn’t move him for top 5 value because I think he’s going to finish there again.

Steve
Reply to  DLF Ken K

Hey Ken,
So I have 2 guys on that list in which I am trying to pkg (Sjax and wayne) and 1 of 2 first rd picks for cj/ap. Im not really worried about losing them but im curious if you think i need to include foster into that category. I am honestly not sold on him yet, just have visions of trading for slaton before and him fumbling away my year. So is foster the real deal cj/ap kind of dude or is he the head of the 2nd tier class?

Hot nikkels
Reply to  Bigcsr67

Hillis broke down at the end of the season and Foster did not. Houston is retaining Kubiak and the OC Dennison. Foster is the real deal IMO and I don’t see a change in the zone running scheme which suits fosters running style.

Steve
Reply to  Hot nikkels

Yeah thats what I thought as well. Id have a hard time giving up wayne and sjax, if only for name recognition . thanks ken

Bigcsr67
Reply to  Hot nikkels

All I am saying is that now is the time to get optimal value for Foster as well. I think both Hillis and Foster will not ever duplicate the numbers they had this year, and if you are looking to get optimal return value, now is the time.

Hot nikkels
Reply to  Bigcsr67

So you’re saying sell a guy whenever he has a monster year? Chris Johnson couldn’t duplicate 2009, but he’s still a top 3 guy. If I’m a Foster owner I will deal him, but I’m getting top 5 compensation. I don’t know if there is another RB in the league with a better situation to boot.

Mike Cross

awesome read thanks alot!

Riders4Ever

You show Lloyd as playing for CHI it obviously should be DEN. But that’s just picking nits.
I traded Hillis for DeAngelo before Williams’ injury. I was ridiculed by other league members after Hillis blew up and DW sat. I guess alot depends on where DW plays next season, but do you think I’ll end up the winner in the deal?

Also, what about adding Frank Gore to the list? He turns 28 in May and finished as the 16th RB in ppr leagues, but I think he’s entering the decline phase of his career.

Bigcsr67
Reply to  Ken Kelly

So what kind of value do you think you can get for Roddy White? I have been contemplating moving him for a player and a pick.

DLF Ken K
Reply to  Bigcsr67

Well, I think you should be able to get a young player like Dez Bryant, or something like Mike Williams (TB), plus a high first rounder if you’re going young.

Clint

Great article, knowing when to sell long-term producers is a tough (and sometimes personal) decision. Having L.T. since a rookie and S-Jax since a rookie I knew I was getting long in the tooth, so I sold high midseason. I traded L.T. and Dwayne Bowe(1st week into his terror) for Felix Jones and Greg Jennings. I then traded S-Jax for DeAngelo Williams and Wes Welker. I am now younger and stronger at WR.
Current Roster
Greg Jennings
Sidney Rice
Hakeem Nicks
Wes Welker
Jermichael Finley
Rob Gronkowski
I would have won the championship if not for the Rogers concussion, anyways I’m very happy right now but am always wanting to improve. Mario Manningham and D. Thomas(Denver) are F.A., I know I am thin a WR depth wise, is Eli really worth rostering??? What is the outlook for Choice, Felix Jones, and Rashard Jennings? Best case landing spot for DeAngelo (GREEN BAY!!)????
Thank you always checking the site!!!

Clint
Reply to  Ken Kelly

Other F.A. WR’s:
Danario Alexander
Blair White
Emmanual Sanders
D. Heyward-Bey
A. Benn
Anthony Armstrong
I like Benn because of the stability that Josh Freeman offers, although Mike Williams will be the go to guy it will leave Benn one on one all the time, it seems like the Bucs are setting up nicely offensively for the next 7 to 8 years.
Any thoughts/comments??
Thanks for the input!!!!

DLFKenK
Reply to  Clint

All depends on what you’re after. Alexander has the highest ceiling of that group, but also the lowest floor. Benn would likely be the most consistent (though Sanders may have something to say about that).

Good luck!

Clint
Reply to  Clint

10 team league
changed to dynasty last year from 2 person keeper league

Matt Warton

I need some trade insights…

10 team, dynasty league. Standard scoring, no ppr, passing TD is 6pts.

My roster:
QB: P Manning, Roethlisberger, M Flynn
RB: CJ, Mendy, J Starks, B Scott
WR: Wayne, Stevie Johnson, Woodhead, S Moss, M Thomas, R Moss, M Williams (SEA), J Jones
TE: Finley and Owen Daniels

Ive been offered Brees, Maclin and 2011 1.3 for Manning and CJ.

I can also move Wayne for S Holmes and 2011 1.9.

Thanks for the insight and keep up the great work!!

Matt

DLFKenK
Reply to  Matt Warton

Matt, the first trade is terrible for you. Bad enough that I stopped everything I was doing to jump in and tell you no.

The second one is worth at least considering, but I wouldn’t do it at this point. You don’t know where Holmes will be next year and you’d be leaving yourself really thin at WR.

If the other coach really wants that deal, he’d wait until the 1.09 was on the clock. At least then you’d know what was available.

Major Loser

BMW
Crabtree
Welker
Vernon Davis
Rob gronkowski
Germaine Gresham.

Here is my question. Im in a 12 team dynasty with the 5th overall pick. Should I package gore, welker and Gresham to push into a top 5 rb trade or is that too much? I feel like my team is deep enough to survive it. I’d target a wr in the draft (there are a ton in this one), and I’d still have austin jennings, and crabtree as my top 3 wrs. With gronk and Davis I’d still be strong at TE. Please give me some opinions. Thank you so much…

DLF Ken K
Reply to  Major Loser

Is this a PPR league? If it is, it’s a little murky. However, if you can truly get a top 5 RB, you should go for it.

If I were you, I’d be looking to upgrade your QB as well. In fact, I think that’s of greater need.

Major Loser

It is a ppr. Thanks for the help.

CantStopTurner

My two keepers can not be of the same position and WR/TE are all WR’s in my league.

So. It hurts to see my two keepers on the list as dump type players. Turner/Gates. My settings are 1pt every 25 yards and 6pts all TD’s. My other options are Andre Johnson or Mike Williams TB over Gates. Foster is a concern and TD’s are the name of the game in my league. What are your thoughts