Offseason Buy List

Fantasy leagues are over for 2010, so many owners have left their rosters and are planning on taking an extended break until around August. These are likely the losing owners in your league.

The championship owners are active right now in attempting to secure some new players for their rosters or rid themselves of some players now before their value begins to tank.

In part one of a two part series, we take a look at some significant “buy” candidates this offseason. While many of these players may not come at a bargain basement price, their value has a good chance of being higher at this time next season.

Josh Freeman, QB, TB

He’s just 23 years old and had more passing yards (3,451) than Mark Sanchez, Jay Cutler, Matt Cassel, and Michael Vick. He had more touchdowns (26) than Matt Schaub. He had more rushing yards (364) than any other quarterback NOT named Vick. Yet, for some odd reason, nobody talks about him outside of Florida.

Sam Bradford, QB, STL

Doing what he did as a rookie with the receiving corps he was given is simply remarkable. He looks like a future No. 1 fantasy quarterback to me.

Kevin Kolb, QB, PHI

His value may never be this low again. Even if he DOESN’T get traded out of Philly next year, he’ll still be starting games in the event of a Vick injury. Regardless, players like Kolb don’t sit on the bench forever. He’ll be someone’s franchise quarterback here in the next few years, quite possibly in 2011.

Tim Tebow, QB, DEN

Lost in all the coaching movement is the fact that Mike McCoy is staying on as the OC in Denver. Tebow was the highest scoring quarterback in all of fantasy the last three weeks when he was inserted as the starter. I’m not saying that would hold up during a whole season, but he’s one of those rare players who could be better in fantasy than reality.

Jahvid Best, RB, DET

The foot injuries devastated what could have been a very nice rookie season. If you have an owner down on Best, this would be the time to strike. He has Jamaal Charles-like ability.

Knowshon Moreno, RB, DEN

This is the most dangerous time to trade for a RB, but John Fox is said to be a Moreno fan. I’d be wary of the Broncos signing DeAngelo Williams, but Moreno could be primed for a major breakout in 2011.

LeGarrette Blount, RB, TB

Blount has never been void of talent, but even this was too much to imagine. Speaking of imagine, what can he do in a full season?

Mike Tolbert, RB, SD

If you have a Tolbert owner in your league who is convinced that Ryan Mathews is going to be the featured back and get 90% of the carries next year, you should pounce. Tolbert has proven to be too valuable for the Chargers to sit.

Chris Ivory, RB, NO

Ivory might be the best buy on this entire list. The Saints are growing tired of Pierre Thomas’ inability to get healthy and Ivory was fantastic this season. This is not a Mike Bell-like fluke in New Orleans. He very well could be the back of the future there.

Jonathan Stewart, RB, CAR

If Williams is moved as expected, Stewart is ready to vault to elite status.

Willis McGahee, RB, BAL

I wouldn’t sell the farm to get him. However, there’s no way the Ravens pick up his option next season. He could easily be a veteran fill-in player and great one or two year mercenary in dynasty leagues. Imagine if McGahee is signed by a team like the Colts? Might be time to get him for pennies on the dollar, just in case.

Bernard Scott, RB, CIN

I don’t think the Bengals see Scott as a featured back. I don’t think they see Benson that way either, though.

Tashard Choice, RB, DAL

He looks like the odd man out in Dallas. He could be a great pickup for a number of teams this offseason. If Choice gets a chance, he could be very good.

Mike Wallace, WR, PIT

Wallace is always a bright spot here at DLF. We tweeted that he was a great buy low last year, then the Steelers traded Holmes two days later. We still hear about it from some happy owners. If you think he’s peaked, you’re nuts. He put up monster numbers without Big Ben for the first part of the season.

Dez Bryant, WR, DAL

His ceiling is the clouds.

Jacoby Ford, WR, OAK

Coming out of college, he was known for his speed, not his playmaking ability. Now, it might be the other way around. Ford seems to be the Raider WR to own at this point. Can you get him from a non-believer?

Mario Manningham, WR, NYG

With Steve Smith’s future uncertain, Super Mario is primed to jump to No. 2 WR status.

Kenny Britt, WR, TEN

Yes, he has maturity issues. I’d be willing to take the gamble of elite talent at this point, though. He could easily be a top five fantasy receiver for the next four or five seasons. He really is that gifted.

Vincent Jackson, WR, SD

He could be franchised again by the Chargers. If you have an owner who is tired of waiting, here’s a guy I’d love to stash.

Michael Crabtree, WR, SF

A new quarterback and new coach should do wonders for Crabtree. Jim Harbaugh is known for getting the most out of what he has and he has a pretty good toy in Crabtree.

Demaryius Thomas, WR, DEN

He showed some flashes of excellent ability. If you have an owner convinced that John Fox is going to ONLY run the ball, go get ’em tiger!

Jermichael Finley, TE, GB

With Aaron Rodgers playing this well, what kind of numbers can this guy really put up next season?

Sidney Rice, WR, MIN

You would expect he’d be back in Minnesota next season. Even if he does have to endure some growing pains at quarterback, Rice has proven to be one of the best receivers in the game. Some people have simply forgotten that.

Danario Alexander, WR, STL

He has horrible knees, but when healthy…

Jermaine Gresham, TE, CIN

I still see a No. 1 TE in him.

Tony Moeaki, TE, KC

Him, too.

Jamar Chaney, LB, PHI

Stewart Bradley has a fight on his hands for the valuable MLB spot in Philly. Chaney has proven to be a young tackle machine.

Desmond Bishop, LB, GB

Nick Barnett? Who’s that?

Dan Connor, LB, CAR

Hard to say if Beason or Connor ends up as Ron Rivera’s MLB. Whoever wins that job is going to get 130+ tackles next season. If I have Beason, I have Connor.

David Hawthorne, LB, SEA

He seemingly had to fight every year for a starting gig. After a 107 tackle season, I think he’s earned finally earned one.

Ken Kelly
Kroz262

Thanks for telling everyone who I was workingon!! Connor is is very interesting why would he beat out Beason?

DLFKenK
Reply to  Kroz262

If the Panthers believe Beason (the obviously more talented player) can be successful outside and Connor can’t, they’re said to be contemplating that switch.

It’s a rare case where the more talented player could be put in a less desirable position.

James D.

I’ve been targeting a large majority of these guys over the last few weeks in my dynasty league. I sure hope no one in my league reads this article…
This only 2 you probably should have on your list would be Jimmy Graham and Mike Williams (TB). Both will be significantly more expensive this time next year.
Regardless, that is quite a comprehensive list of ‘buys’ that you put together.

Dan Y.

This is an unbeleivable list…I drafted Dez Bryant in the 8 round, snatched blount, J stew and V Jax off waivers early…yeah, I play w/idiots that don’t/can’t read…better for me!

Jack

Thoughts on the Jets, Greene? Will roles be reversed in 2011? And Greene carry the load?

DLF_Jeff
Reply to  Jack

Probably going to happen at some point, but L.T. looks to have another year in him and Greene has terrible hands. Joe McKnight should pick up L.T.’s 3rd down work but he hasn’t yet been really tested.

ScottD

One other name to check in is Larry Fitzgerald. It’s simply not possible that Arizona QBs could be any worse and Fitzgerald was still a top 20 WR. If Arizona addresses QB, he could easily move back into elite status. His owner may be down on him and he could be a relative bargain.

Chad M

What do you see happening with James Starks and Anthony Dixon?

DLFKenK
Reply to  Chad M

I think anyone who claims they know what’s going to happen with these guys isn’t anyone worth reading.

That being said, I don’t think Starks has shown enough thus to merit the Packers not bringing back Grant. If I was to guess right now, I’d bet Starks is the “2” in a 1-2 type of backfield next year.

Dixon is an intriguing stash, especially with Gore possibly beginning the decline phase in his career. He’s one to exercise extreme patience with.

Chad M
Reply to  DLFKenK

Thanks for the response. You have a great site and I look forward to reading your articles and feedback. Keep up the great work!

Riders4Ever

One name I didn’t see mentioned is Jared Cook. Scaife will be shown the door in Tenn and Cook will be the TE in a very TE friendly offense.

SpaderDude

I’m a big believer in J-Stews talent, but the situation in Carolina is brutal. If Williams moves on, that would be the 1st step, but another option at QB other than Clausen is probably an even more important step for Stewart’s fantasy value. Thoughts?

DLF Ken K
Reply to  SpaderDude

It’s certainly a factor, but considering that he’s ran for over 1,000 yards in the 11 games he started at the end of last year and this year combined, I’m not quite as worried about it.

In games where he’s been the bellcow, he’s averaged over 104 yards per game…with Delhomme, Clausen, or Matt Moore as the quarterbacks.

I actually look at the opposite way. What kind of numbers could this guy put up if/when they get their quarterback figured out in the next couple of seasons?

SpaderDude
Reply to  DLF Ken K

I just hope they don’t run the poor guy into the ground and give him little support. Could be a lot like Steven Jackson part 2. Without the threat of a quality passer, he may still rack up yards because of his talent, but might not reach full top 5-10 fantasy status due to the lack of goal-line opportunities. It will certainly be an interesting off season for the Panthers.

Thanks for the reply. Keep up the great work. Love the site.

Dig Dug

I have Mercedes Lewis as my #1 TE, but his contract has expired and he is a restricted free agent. Jarod Cook and Rob Gronkowski are both on my taxi squad. I can resign Lewis, or I can sign and trade him and bring up Cook and/or Gronkowski. Or I can leave either Cook or Gronkowski on my taxi squad and play a two TE rotation. Which would have the most trade value, and should I trade any of them. Suggestions?

DLFKenK
Reply to  Dig Dug

I think Cook and Gronkowski will be more than adequate for you in the future. I’d dangle Lewis to someone who believes he has staying power in the top tier.

Personally, I don’t think he’s in the same class with the guys he scored close to this season and I’d be surprised to see him repeat his numbers again and again.

As far as trade value goes, it all depends on the coach you’re dealing with. I’d try to find a competitive team to deal Lewis to. A rebuilder likely wouldn’t give you the value you’re looking for.

Remember, a trade is a two way street. It’s not about what YOU want, it’s about what THEY want, too.

Dig Dug
Reply to  DLFKenK

So would you suggest that I not resign Lewis? We are only allowed to francise one player, and I was thinking of francising Lewis. Otherwise I could save the dollars to address other needs.

DLFKenK
Reply to  Dig Dug

Impossible for me to say without seeing your options. What other options do you have for the tag?

Dig Dug

Really nobody with any long-term value. I just traded Joe Flacco who’s contract just expired. The only other notable is Ray Lewis. I’m building a young team (I have 7 of the first 16 picks in the 2011 draft), and I don’t see Lewis as being worth my franchise tag.

DLFKenK
Reply to  Dig Dug

I’d certainly attempt a sign and trade then.

Good luck!

Dig Dug

I have an opportunity to trade LeSean McCoy for this year’s 1:01 and 1:06. I already own 1:04. Do you think that I should make the deal?

DLF_KenK
Reply to  Dig Dug

NO! You’re being worked over if you take that!