The Eagle Has Landed

djax2

Just a few days after surprisingly being released by the Philadelphia Eagles, wide receiver DeSean Jackson has found a new home in the NFC East by reportedly signing a three-year deal with the Washington Redskins. The market for Jackson was remarkably slow for a player with his level of talent, but that just really showed how leery teams are becoming with perceived selfish players who are considered to be of the “me first” variety. The signing of Jackson creates a ripple effect in terms of dynasty value on the Redskins.

Let’s break it down player-by-player.

DeSean Jackson, WR WAS

It’s been quite the off-season for Jackson, who started off by complaining about his new contract, proceeded to convince Eagles Coach Chip Kelly he was a cancer in the locker room, was subsequently released by Philadelphia, then spent his visit with Washington doing the club circuit with DeAngelo Hall and rapper Wale before signing on with Washington late tonight.

The Redskins are taking a calculated gamble (or maybe it’s an uncalculated gamble with Dan Snyder pulling the strings) that Jackson just needed a change of scenery and can put up similar numbers as he did last year when he posted 82 catches for 1,332 yards and nine touchdowns. In his six years with the Eagles, he’s posted 356 catches for 6,117 yards and 32 touchdowns, while averaging a robust 17.2 yards per catch.

With the Redskins, he gives Robert Griffin III another legitimate threat opposite Pierre Garcon. Jackson’s ability to stretch a defense is as good as anyone’s and RGIII will love taking some deep shots to D-Jax. Jackson’s value is tough to really put a tag on at the moment. His antics of late have to knock him down a peg or two, but he at least landed in a spot with a good quarterback, unlike Oakland or the New York Jets.

I wouldn’t expect the same numbers from Jackson next season as those seem to be unreachable. Simply put, it’s going to be tough for him to re-produce those statistics in an offense a little less dynamic. Jackson still remains a bit of a one trick pony as a deep threat and player who can score any time he touches the ball. Unforunately, he could also destroy a locker room just as quickly.

Feel lucky?

Robert Griffin III, QB WAS

Adding a player with the ability of Jackson is never a bad thing, as long as he doesn’t start commanding the ball more than he should. Pierre Garcon will remain the most targeted receiver for the Redskins and time will tell how Jackson responds to that. Regardless, Jackson will stretch the defense, opening up opportunities for Garcon and Jordan Reed, among others.

This is a huge make or break year for Griffin, who just didn’t look like the same player last season. With Jay Gruden working some offensive magic and the additions of Jackson and Andre Roberts, things look good on paper.

Pierre Garcon, WR WAS

Color me naive or skeptical, but I don’t think the addition of Jackson really changes much of anything for Garcon. He’s RGIII’s most trusted receiver and that shouldn’t change a bit. After all, Garcon posted 113 catches for 1,346 yards and five touchdowns last season and could have easily been the offensive MVP of the team. Coach Gruden isn’t going to all of a sudden build his passing game around Jackson instead of Garcon.

Jordan Reed, TE WAS

This move could be great for Reed as he looked very good before a concussion ended his season. He remains a major breakout candidate and dynasty owners need to remember he was on pace for nearly 1,000 yards last year before hitting injured reserve. A highly skilled player with the ability to go deep or sit in zones, Reed should find the Jackson signing open up some soft spots on a defense committted to not allowing Jackson to beat them deep.

Andre Roberts, WR WAS

If there’s a loser in this deal, it has to be Roberts, who now looks to have no chance of starting for Washington this year. He’s going to be a WR3 on that team and is going to post some very inconsistent lines next year. This is tough news for his owners to swallow, but we’ve seen Jackson burn bridges quickly before. Roberts is a “hold” until further notice.

Alfred Morris, RB WAS

It’s conceivable Morris could benefit from defenses playing deeper to fend off the long bombs going to Jackson. However, the big question for Morris is how he does without the Shanahan zone-blocking regime running the show. He’s talented enough to be successful in most systems, but he’s a player with some question marks surrounding him.

Leonard Hankerson and Santana Moss, WRs WAS

It’s time to move on if you haven’t already.

Ken Kelly

Ken Kelly

Senior Partner - Executive Editor at DynastyLeagueFootball
Ken is a corporate trainer by day an a tireless editor of dynasty content by night. His passion for the World Champion Seattle Seahawks is second only to his love of fantasy football and the dynasty format.

Ken is on Twitter at DLF_KenK
Ken Kelly

Latest posts by Ken Kelly (see all)

1. Algernon

April 1, 2014 at 9:45 pm

“Huge make or break year for Griffin”? So if he struggles in 2014, he’s done and he’s “broken”? Washington will give up on him, and his NFL career will be over?

• Ken Kelly

April 1, 2014 at 10:49 pm

In terms of his dynasty value, I do think it’s a pivotal season for RGIII. Is he going to be the dynamic playmaker we saw as a rookie or the player we saw last year who seemed to regress and never really looked healthy.

Sure, that was probably dramatic, but the value of Griffin today compared to what it was last year is very different. He’s a question mark right now. Will he take a few more years to develop and put up the fantasy points we saw from him early on or will he quickly return to form.

It’s a question many dynasty owners want answered.

• Robert

April 2, 2014 at 2:45 am

Insult the man because you disagree with your own screwey interpretation of his statement? Makes sense to me! Certainly, RG3’s stock–fantasy AND otherwise–takes a HUGE hit if he’s unable to regain his elite elusiveness.

• Robert

April 2, 2014 at 2:48 am

(In Ken’s defense)

• Algernon

April 2, 2014 at 9:25 am

I’m confused how my comment was an “insult.” I meant no disrespect. I just wanted to know the writer’s thinking about it being a “make or break year.”

While I agree it’s crucial that RG3 bounce back this year, I respectfully disagree that a down year will “break” him. Only thing I need to do is look at Matt Schaub. He has barely a sliver of the talent of Griffin, he’s put up barely a sliver of the tape Griffin has, he struggled last year way worse than Griffin did, yet he just got acquired by trade, showered with money, and placed in the driver’s seat for a starting job.

You telling me Schaub gets all that but Griffin coming off two down years will be “broken”? I just don’t see it.

• Sean C.

April 2, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Are you saying Schaub’s fantasy value is the same now, as it was start of 2012? 2013? Schaub isn’t in the top 30 dynasty QB’s in my opinion. He is the definition of broken.

• Robert

April 3, 2014 at 10:55 pm

My apologies, then. Your comment seemed antagonistic and dismissive, and a bit out of context. Plus, it was tough to get on board with the liberties you took in translating his statement. Not feelin your literal misuse of “broken” either. Ken’s “make or break” reference implied nothing of the sort.

In the end, though, if the injury hasn’t cost him that “extra gear”, I’m buying.

• Bennie Blades

April 2, 2014 at 3:48 am

Uh, yeah dude. It should be a make or break year in both fantasy and reality. I have a sneaky feeling that Cousins progression could take this offense further than RGIII, of course we know Griffin will get every chance possible for the next couple seasons.

• PDiddy

April 2, 2014 at 4:17 pm

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA! Now that is funny!

• Sensei John Kreese

April 2, 2014 at 5:35 am

Yes. If he struggles this year, he will be benched again in favor of Kirk Cousins and have to fight for a starting job on another team.

That is pretty much the definition of the phrase make or break.

• alden

April 2, 2014 at 6:42 am

RG3 had surgery and struggled with no off season reps as a second year player last year. Plus his confidence was shaken, and the coaching was questionable.I believe he will come back, Cam Newton struggled his second year. We forget how young he is, and still needs to grow as a Player.

Things are not make or break and he isn’t broken. He just needs to take the next step and grow as a QB, it takes 4 years to really see where a QB is at.

He now has a head coach that’s a good QB coach in his corner.

• Robert

April 2, 2014 at 10:41 am

I completely agree with all your reasoning, but I think a catastphic knee injury qualifies as a “broken” knee. In 2013, RG3 lacked that trademark escapability, and we all want to know that he still has it. I call that make-or-break.

If Griffin IS 100%, however, I absolutely LOVE him in this offense.

• Cousin's is Terrible

April 2, 2014 at 4:38 pm

The comments on RG3 and this being a make or break year epitomizes why professional athletes hate Fantasy Sports! Not only are we scouts and coaches but now we determine what a successful career looks like!
          A make or break year for a young man who had the best rookie season we have seen for a QB in years, maybe decades, all while taking a terrible Redskins team to the playoffs! We are talking about a 24 year old supremely talented individual, who on his worst day throwing left handed is better that Mr. Cousins, in a league that is begging for his type of talent at the QB position.
          C’mon people, he’s not going anywhere for a longtime and will have a number of years to work it out.

• Ken Kelly

April 2, 2014 at 5:51 pm

I don’t actually disagree much with most of what’s been said throughout the thread.

In my mind, I see this year as being pivotal to Griffin in fantasy leagues, which is where I have to focus the attention on.

He looked like a transcendent QB1 with dynamic ability and the potential to become one of the top two or three QBs in dynasty leagues.

Last year, he looked very different for a whole host of reasons, some of which were not in his control.

• Algernon

April 3, 2014 at 11:54 am

“I think we’ll see this year if Griffin is going to be a player dynasty league owners can truly build around or if he’s simply going to be a low-end QB1/QB2 type.”

That’s a great point. And it explains what you meant by “make or break.” That’s all I was asking. Thanks for your response.

2. Ryan

April 1, 2014 at 11:14 pm

I think the signing helps Garcon, actually . . . because of DeSean’s home run ability, it will help keep some double teams off Garcon. DeSean is probably only gonna be a 55-70 catch guy again (like he was his whole career before last year), so it shouldnt eat into Garcon’s target count too much

• SJ

April 2, 2014 at 8:48 am

Yeah I dont think Garcon gets affected really much at all. In that offense hes still gonna get targeted a ton (unless DJax somehowe eclipes him as the first option – which I highly doubt). Garcon is a near lock to get another 140+ targets, barring injury. Not many people think of Garcon as a WR1 but he was last year in PPR.

• Bobby

April 2, 2014 at 1:19 pm

With Reed healthy, Andre Roberts signing, and now Desean, it looks like 2013 is gonna be Garcons career year.

3. Scott O

April 2, 2014 at 7:25 am

This should make owners of RGIII, Pierre Garcon, Jordan Reed, and Alfred Morris excited. Jackson adds another dimension to the Redskins offense that will take pressure off of all the other fantasy producers. His ability to stretch the field and require extra attention will make the entire offense better, creating more TD opportunities, and help to produce a high powered scoring machine in DC. The man who sees his value go down is Andre Roberts. Roberts will now drop from a high volume target guy to the bench. Don’t expect much from him unless injuries occur.

4. SJ

April 2, 2014 at 8:40 am

Beyond A.Roberts, the biggest loser by far is J.Reed in all this.

Reed was tasked to be the no.2 option in that offense, possibly reaching 1000 yards, and if you go back and look at all the CIN Gruden-led offense over the past few years, after the 2nd receiving option, the production really gets spotty and inconsistent there. There’s quite a bit of a drop off from no.2 to no.3 receiving option in a Gruden offense.

Now the question simply becomes – is Djax no.2 or is Reed? I think it most likely will be Djax given the investment, harkening back to when Simpson or, more recently, M.Jones/Sanu combo were second in receiving stats for Gruden.

Out of the three years Gruden was OC in CIN, Greshem only was the second leading receiver once – in 2012 when he put up a 60 catch 700 yard season. I suppose, if he really is that explosive, Djax will come close to 7-8 scores, but eclipsing 75rec and 1100yrds will be very tough to do. So there will be a drop-off from last year for sure.

But the 3rd leading receiver in a Gruden offense never posts more than 50 catches on the year. I think those are foundation stats to base what Reed will do this year, barring injury to he or Jackson or Garcon, so it limits his upside. There simply aren’t enough catches to go around as you have to assume Roberts and whomever they use as receiving RB will be taking targets too.

Djax’s value definitely takes a hit from his Eagle days, but its much less than what it could’ve been. OAK wouldve been a further downgrade from WAS, same with KC, same with NYJ, same with SF, same with SEA, same with CLE. All of those landing spots either have worse offenses overall, worse QB play, or would’ve had trouble supporting an additional option to their receiving corps and target distribution.

This is probably the best spot Jackson could’ve done at this point, but it comes at the expense of Reed, and definitely Roberts.

• phantasy5

April 2, 2014 at 2:33 pm

SJ good points but with AJ Green in Cincy whose targets weren’t even close to the next WR coupled with Gresham not even being remotely close to Reed in ability it kind of makes for a not so good comparison. I think this helps Reed not hurts him. Most young QB’s tend to use a TE as a security blanket, and with Reed he has a really reliable target who can get the YAC we all look for, and inside the red zone the TD’s will come.

• Slick

April 2, 2014 at 7:03 pm

SJ, I understand your logic but I tend to agree with Phantasy5 on this one. First off, Cincy is not an apples to apples comparison. All WR1s are not made the same (see DeSean in Philly for exhibit A). There is no equal to AJ Green on Washington. Garcon is an entirely different receiver, so we cant necessarily assume he is AJ and therefore there is only room for one more. I actually think we dont really know how the targets will be distributed. DeSean could get his share, Garcon certainly gets his and Reed as well. Here is the thing about Reed – he is the only player on roster who can tear up the seam and is their best red zone threat. I dont see how he gets downgraded. If anything, DeSean helps him too, as he did with Ertz toward the end of last season.

This team should be watched closely during preseason to see how things get split up. I agree this best landing spot of teams that were left. I am thankful (I own DeSean and Reed).

One thing is for sure – Gruden is a pass happy coach…so that’s a good start. If they start sustaining drives on 3rd down, overall targets will increase and top 3 value all goes up. DeSean is the one who is not expected to repeat his career year, but he will still be in WR2/WR3 conversation (more 3 than 2). I think he will be more inconsistent like his old days.

• SJ

April 3, 2014 at 7:46 am

Sure – but if Djax really helps Reed, there is still going to be someone out of the three (Garcon, Djax, Reed) that will not produce 1000 yards. Thats basically fact since its happened extremly rarely in the NFL. So by adding Djax to the mix, thats just increases the possibly that either he or Reed are the odd man out and miss 1000 yards, more TDs, more RECs, etc.

The Djax aquisition takes a lot of the odds of Reed explosively increasing his stats now.

• Slick

April 3, 2014 at 5:18 pm

SJ,

Still you have good points but do not forget the receptions (PPR)/yd/TDs equation.

Another words, they may not all have 1000 yds but there can be a healthy mix where they are all viable.

For ex. Reed leads in TDS (8-10), garcon in receptions (85-95) and yards, with DJax balancing between the 2 with 65-75 rec and 800 yds and 6-8 tds (with some big games in there).

Like I said, let’s see starting in camp.

• Brett

April 2, 2014 at 10:53 pm

SJ, I’m confused on how you think the coaching staff’s playbook has anything to do with the receiving capacity of the top 2, 3, or 4 players. As a QB you don’t go into a play going, “Okay, I’m going to make sure to get the ball to DeSean regardless of coverage because this is play #42.” Doesn’t coverage dictate a QBs decision ultimately? Even if the answer to your question is that Reed gets pushed to 3rd on the list of targets, do you really believe that Gruden’s presence will make his fantasy stock drop?

Sorry, but I don’t see it.

• SJ

April 3, 2014 at 7:41 am

My points are to baseline what past Gruden offneses look like and give a template of what the one he’ll bring to WAS will look like.

If you all disagree, thats fine, but theres only so many targets to go around. Given the personnel (IE: WAS has no back like G.Bernard to steal major work, etc), things can always change, but with those baselines I’ve listed atleast we have window into what production will be provided.

You guys are just throwing numbers and ideas out there of what is possible – ok fine – but I’m just trying to narrow it down into someting more tangible that makes sense and can be used to predict this years stats. Anything is “possible” sure, but whats likely?

• phantasy5

April 3, 2014 at 4:11 pm

SJ,
        I’ll speak for myself here and let me say I respect your opinions and I like reading what you have to say, you make alot of valid and objective points! I think b/c I have a vested interest in the players I own I tend to favor them too much and therefore my opinions can be skewed. No offense to you dude!

• Slick

April 3, 2014 at 5:27 pm

One more point (I hope) about predicting a Gruden offense – what is a Gruden offense? He has made one NFL stop, so I don’t know how much stock we should put into that, unless you are somehow giving him credit for his older brothers work as well (or his work on his staff). Now if you did your hw on his UFL days, kudos to you!

I know it’s all we have to go off of, but maybe he learned a few things from his last stint and is still evolving.

5. GD

April 2, 2014 at 9:41 am

Just so happens I own DJax in my dynasty league…also own Garcon…and RG3!

I’m stoked for RG3 and think this bumps him even higher as a “bounce back candidate”, but what do I do w/these receivers? Thankfully, I traded away Jordan Reed in January for Ellington.

We’ll see…

6. phantasy5

April 2, 2014 at 2:41 pm

I own RG3 & Garcon in one league in particular and I’m desperately trying to get Reed! I actually traded DJax away last year for the missing piece of the puzzle that won me the title! I’m OK with not having DJax but love his presence in this offense. This bodes well for Griffin and I believe Garcon will thrive as a result of this news. It takes ALOT of attention away from him b/c defenses need to account for DJax any time he’s on the field. I’ll also benefit from all all yardage and TD’s that Djax will have, can you say pumped!!!

• alden

April 2, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Some good debates going hear, I like the info. I have Griffin in one league, and Reed in a few, so im curious to see value going forward. Im hoping Reeds concussion issues are a thing of the past.