MJDeflated

mjd

Maurice Jones-Drew has been one of fantasy football’s greatest stars over the past decade, leading countless dyanasty owners to the promised land in their respective leagues. After eight mostly great seasons with Jacksonville, MJD and the Jaguars collectively decided it was time for a change and as such, he has signed a three-year deal with the Oakland Raiders, throwing a major short-term wrench into the values of several players in Oakland and further opening the door for others in Jacksonville.

Let’s examine the raminfications for the players involved.

Maurice Jones-Drew, RB OAK

Over his eight-year career with the Jaguars, the mighty mite has amassed 8,071 rushing yards and 68 rushing touchdowns, all while playing most seasons on one of the league’s worst teams. Last year, MJD was only able to post 803 yards and score five touchdowns as he looked like he had lost a step after his 2012 injury shortened campaign. In short, the MJD we saw record 1,606 rushing yards in 2011 looks to be long gone.

In Oakland, Jones-Drew adds himself to a depth chart already kind of a mess at running back.  Rashad Jennings is in New York, but Darren McFadden was surprisingly re-signed and Latavius Murray is still waiting in the wings as well.

Jones-Drew should have a chance to start with the Raiders, but it’s hard to say he’s more effective than McFadden based on what we saw from him last year. The most likely scenario is MJD sharing carries with McFadden until one of the two gets hurt and clears the way for more consistent production from the other. Even then, we’d have to see a lot more from him than we did last year to recommend using him in too many leagues. The days of him being an RB1 are over.

Darren McFadden, RB OAK

The signing of Jones-Drew throws some cold water on McFadden’s value. He was likely going to be the starter next season, but now he’ll have to earn it. Even then, he’ll be part of a committee attack in Oakland.

Let’s be honest here.

If MJD and McFadden are both healthy, McFadden looks to be the more explosive player at this point in his career. However, thinking these two will both be healthy all year is wishful thinking.

If you own McFadden, not much changes long-term. He’s on a one-year deal, so the hope is he stays healthy and productive, then lands a better contract next season. That was already the best case scenario for him in dynasty circles – the addition of MJD doesn’t change anything other than his short-term value for next season.

Latavius Murray, RB OAK

Believe it or not, the addition of MJD really doesn’t tank the value of Murray at all. In fact, it may help it. With McFadden and MJD in the fold, the likelihood of the Raiders bringing in a younger running back to challenge Murray has just been minimized. It’s easy to see a scenario where both veteran runners are gone next year and that would be perfect for Murray. It’s not hard to envision both runners getting hurt to open the door for him anyway. He’s not an elite prospect by any means, but you can connect the dots here and really see some future value.

Toby Gerhart, RB JAX

It’s no secret around these parts that I’m not the highest on Gerhart, but with MJD officially gone, he has a great chance to prove his worth. Let’s see what he can do.

Keep it here to DLF as we’ll continue to cover pretty much, well, everything.

Ken Kelly

Ken Kelly

Senior Partner - Executive Editor at DynastyLeagueFootball
Ken is a corporate trainer by day an a tireless editor of dynasty content by night. His passion for the World Champion Seattle Seahawks is second only to his love of fantasy football and the dynasty format.

Ken is on Twitter at DLF_KenK
Ken Kelly

1. ManuManu

March 29, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Signing MJD doesn’t tank the value of Murray at all? Really? It all but assures us that Murray won’t get any meaningful carries in his second year in the league. As a sixth-round pick, how could this be seen as anything but bad? If the Raiders truly were excited about his potential, they never would have signed Mojo.

I’m not saying this means Murray won’t ever become anything, but I don’t know how anyone could look at this and not think that it makes Murray end-of-the-roster fodder.

• Ken Kelly

March 30, 2014 at 7:45 am

I look at the Raiders situation and see a coaching staff and GM who have to win now. The moves they’re making scream desperation and short term production instead of long term planning. I think it’s quite possible McFadden and MJD could be gone after this season. Even on a three-year deal, the Raiders could cut Jones-Drew after the year if they needed to.

I don’t think things have changed all that much for Murray, outside of the fact it may be harder for him to see the field this season. I’ve never seen him as an elite prospect anyway. I would have been more concerned (and still will be) if they draft a running back.

The roster in Oakland should be a lot different after next year if they don’t produce, as expected. When I stockpile young running backs, I like to have those who don’t have a young featured back ahead of them.

The hope with Murray is he gets a shot at some point here in the next couple of years as part of a running back committee. His long-term prospects aren’t that different to me, but I’ve never been one to really think extremely highly of him anyway.

2. Coach

March 30, 2014 at 12:26 am

mjd definitely was terrible for the first bunch of games last year. But he was decent after week 10. I think he will have a decent year in oakland. he’ll be better than the bum that just left there that wasn’t as good as mjd in jacksonville.

• Slick

March 30, 2014 at 5:55 am

No NFL team will go to camp with a 6th round pick RB, who has never played a snap as their starter. just doesn’t happen. even for shanahan (master of the 6th round pick turned starter) always had other (usually veteran) options to go to camp with. I dont really understand why Raiders (besides that they are the Raiders) choosing broke down mcfadden or even MJD, but the idea is to have a veteran presence going to camp. That is how NFL works. this is not surprising at all. remember we are in fantasy land and see things through a certain lens, but for NFL, they need vet presence, someone who can block, someone who has done it before. they decided to go with mcfadden and MJD and i agree this is perfect situation for murray to have a shot. i do think this means they may not target a RB in a weak rookie class, which helps him more. (although they may add another young body late).

• Coach

March 30, 2014 at 10:38 pm

i was talking about Jennings. everyone was high on him, but he couldn’t lace MJD’s boots up in Jacksonville. MJD will be better for oakland than jennings was.

3. phantasy5

March 30, 2014 at 6:46 am

That’s how confident the Raiders are about DMC, they go out and sign another veteran RB. If it was me, I would’ve let DMC walk, kept Jennings and then signed MJD as your second veteran in camp, thus making a solid 3 backs for 2014. They gave MJD a 3 yr. deal so I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Let’s face it, in order to stay on the field in the NFL you need to be good in pass protection and maybe they feel Murray isn’t there yet?

• bigefat

April 1, 2014 at 11:16 pm

You can NEVER SAY “he signed a 3 yr. Deal so he’s not going anywhere”!?
      How many players get cut every year that are on some length of contract?
      Does DeSean Jackson ring a bell?
      Schaub and Sanchez were also on long contracts at were cut among others!

I hope Murray does get a shot! Plus, I can see that the Raiders may actually be doing something intelligent here by bringing in a Veteran who was (at one point) on the field long enough to actually potentially teach Murray some of the skills required to play the position productively!

4. Scott O

March 30, 2014 at 7:14 am

MJD had to adjust to a zone blocking last year which resulted in his poor season. If healthy, MJD will take the bulk of the carries this year and thrive in a power blocking offense. http://fantasyfootballevilempire.blogspot.com

5. Mike

March 30, 2014 at 8:05 am

So many people claim they’re not bandwagon jumpers, yet…I’ve been seeing a lot of “They are the Raiders” quotes concerning personnel moves and other strategy. This is a different regime than the Al Davis era. But people seem too ignorant to realize this. Because some incompetent writer on Yahoo or Espn started the “After all these are the Raiders” quotes, everybody is piling on. I see it everywhere. Writers and fans alike. I’ve heard it on TV. I’ve read it in quote above in the comments. Hypocritical sheep.

• Big B

March 30, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Mike, honestly this sounds like a Raiders jersey owner. Have you seen what they’ve done over and over? Really McFadden was so good for you that you needed to resign him? He has had a good 8 game run in however many years. The draft choices from Gallery>Russell>McFadden>Hayden, they just continually get in their own way. As the article states they have signed patchwork vets MJD being the best but DMC, Jones, for what reason to compete for 3rd in the division and be in the same spot in 3 years……Raiders.

• phantasy5

March 30, 2014 at 6:46 pm

I concur with you Big B! I really don’t mean to sound like I’m bashing the Raiders all the time but the proof is in the pudding on this one. I guess Mike don’t say anything when they blast other bad franchises like the Browns, Jags, Jets….should I go on? Listen, I’m right there with you dude, my team just released their best receiver in franchise history, I’m so used to it by now. Roll with it, you have NO CONTROL!

• alden

March 31, 2014 at 9:06 am

Mike,I thought that the current GM did a great job of getting out of the salary cap hell they were in a few years ago, caused by the last coach bringing in QB Palmer and over paying for him just to save the coaches job.

But I do have some questions on why they are going after older players on the market, They had a good draft last year, it seems like they are going back into the mess they just got out of. It just leaves a lot of questions into why they are going into this direction.

6. Matt

March 30, 2014 at 9:37 am

Any thoughts on Jordan Todman’s chances of earning the starting gig in Jacksonville over Gerhart?

7. eNdblu

March 31, 2014 at 12:32 pm

MJD Contract Details:
    Maurice Jones-Drew three-yr. Raiders deal: $7.5M, $1.2M guaranteed 2014 roster bonus, salaries $1.2M, $2.4M, $2.4M annual $100K workout bon.

Not a whole heck of a lot is guaranteed… Looks like it could be a 1 and done type contract.