13 Responses to “AIR: Adjusted Improvement Ratio”

1. clarioncontrarion says:

this math made my head hurt …..this is supposed to be fun not a statistics class…
    but the air gordon headline is such a killer nickname
    kudos on that

• Ken Kelly says:

Ha. It’s a tale of irony. We post something “light” and folks call us out for being too mainstream. We post something “heavy” and it’s too much math. We’re just hoping for a nice little balance here!

• clarioncontrarion says:

nah I wasn’t calling you out . I love the site and you guys do yeomen’s work. I have scaled back on analysis and just watch tape now and as the name suggests try to steer clear of the herd mentality.
        keep up the good work, the aversion to deep statistical analysis is a me problem not a you problem.

• Eric Hardter says:

Like I stated in the piece, I’m just looking for every edge I can get. Truth be told I’m no scout, so as much as I enjoy game film I can’t really analyze it in any useful way. I try to strike a balance between the two, but readily admit the numbers make more sense to me.

• BJ says:

I love the math. As an accountant I play around with numbers and spreadsheets all day long.

Your ability to keep finding ways to normalize stats is amazing. highlighting your stat and FF knowledge.

Anytime you can reduce a metric to either a 1 or 0 being ‘normal’ the more weight that stat carries.

KUDO’s Eric keep it up

2. Jordan Spires says:

Love the article. Can’t wait to head over and check out the premium article and see how relevant and useful this type of analysis can be!

3. Eddy says:

Love the idea. As you said, each metric doesn’t tell the whole story but it’s still valuable by itself. I’ll be looking forward to seeing more AIR numbers.

Some guys I’d like to see evaluated are Stedman Bailey, Wes Welker, Michael Crabtree & Hartline from Miami.

• Eric Hardter says:

Thanks Eddy-

I’m definitely looking to expand upon the metric, including rookies and perhaps some team breakdowns. It’s very labor intensive though, so I’m not sure when it’ll get published.

4. Crowley says:

How much is this new “AIR” metric going to factor into your draft decisions when you’re on the clock?