13 Responses to “Developing Assets: What if?”

1. VoiceofUnreason says:

I don’t how much weight the mock carried but if Hyde goes at 35th overall in the NFL draft, he’ll be in the top 3 in fantasy. I can’t imagine there ever being a year where the first rb taken in the real draft slips to 10th in fantasy. Pretty much no chance.

• ChiefsHonk says:

1st mock had all WR going in the the top 5 picks and Hyde went 13th I think. So at least RB is moving up. I have #1 and #5 pick in rookie daft and I plan on taking Sammy at #1 and praying for Ka’Deem or Hyde to fall to #5.

2. bryan says:

i disagree with several of the picks and the reasoning for them. in order the rams taking a wr,, they have invested heavily in the last couple years with the likes of brian quick / trevon austin / chris givins all players i remember being highly thought of on this site. the ravens got a huge contribution this year from another one of your “sleeper” prospects in the name of marlin brown,, why would they have a need at wr,,,, seems like thats a good spot for the te to go they got nothing there. the 49ers,, they really like quinton patton who played well at the end of the season after returning from injury. the colts brought in darrick rodgers and he did very well given the chance,, a player that was given the most upside label,, why do they need another one,, the jets not taking a wr when all they have is bad,, the rams taking another rb after all but giving the starting job to stacey,, maybe i have to much time on my hands,, just food for thought

• Ryan McDowell says:

Brian,
      You can direct all of those to Matt Miller since he did the mock. As I mentioned, I was simply taking his predictions and sharing my own thoughts on the value of those players if they did go to those teams. I wasn’t going to discuss the likelihood that the picks would actually be correct.

3. Andrew L. says:

Going by the landing spots of the rookies according to this mock draft (and focusing specifically on the WR position) i would strongly consider reranking my personal WR list and dropping Evans to 4 behind Lee and even Benjamin (for the record i am very high on Benjamin, probably higher than most…he is my ‘love’ of the draft). For me I just can’t trust STL creating a fantasy weekly starter WR until they prove me otherwise. Their offensive philosophy seems set on spreading the ball around to multiple targets, and while i like Evans, to me he does not possess ‘elite’ upside or intangibles to become a go-to #1 wr unless landing in an ideal situation, which STL to me definitely is not that. I’d much prefer the landing spots of Lee and especially Benjamin, where they would have better situations to become primary targets. Personally, i like Lee’s talent more than Evan’s anyway, and while Evans is a safer bet than Benjamin, i think Benjamin’s ceiling could be debated as being higher. Would me re-ranking my WRs and dropping Evans to 4th (if this mock were the true draft results) be crazy?

• Ryan McDowell says:

I don’t think so at all. In fact, I would probably make the same move, and might regardless of where Evans ends up. In this mock, I was trying to represent how I think things would go in a typical draft, not necessarily how I would draft at each spot. I am not as big of a fan of Evans as many and would still prefer Lee, all situations being equal, or close to it.

• PV says:

Mike Evans is a better WR than Kelvin Benjamin. This coming from a Nole fan. Benjamin MAY be better in 2-3 years (25%) but Evans in STL is a good spot as he’d quickly kick Givens and Quick to the curb for WR1 duties.

4. mike says:

Way too many skill position players going early in the NFL Draft. Never happen

• 2012 NFL Draft says:

Yes, 10 is way too many. That will NEVER happen.

Signed,

The 11 skill position players who were selected in the 1st round of the 2012 NFL Draft

5. Justin says:

Is it just me, or if the Colts draft a WR like Adams in the first 2 rounds there is no way he makes it out of the first round of rookie drafts? Wayne is a longshot to regain form off an injury at his age, Da’rick is an undisciplined route-runner and headcase, and T.Y. would make a better Robin to someone else’s Batman. The chance to get in on the ground-floor of a possible Luck #1 WR would easily be worth a late first rounder, even if you aren’t fully convinced about Adams.

• Ryan McDowell says:

That’s the thing with mock drafts. This is not a knock on Matt, because they are all like this. Guys land in the perfect situation and everything makes sense. Then the draft gets here and things like GB taking 2 RBs who were expected to be the top 2 rookie RBs happens. Those are things that are not easy to predict.

So, would Adams be great in Indy? I think so, but so many of the players in this mock are landing in ideal spots, it’s hard to fit them all in the first round.