DLF’s Weekly Impact Events

Gonzo

The 2013 fantasy football season is over, but the dynasty season is just beginning. As you prepare for next season, it’s more important than ever to stay on top of the news. You have to pay close attention to everything to stay on top of your dynasty league. For most of us, we do well to steal some time away from our families and jobs to watch the games on Sunday. It becomes difficult to monitor the daily happenings around the league and even more demanding to process how that news affects your dynasty team.
That’s why we’re here!
Here is a quick look at the events of the past week and how they impact the players on your team.

Tony Gonzalez, TE ATL

Tight end Tony Gonzalez, who has stuck by his retirement announcement throughout the past season, said this week he would consider signing with a contender for the 2014 stretch run. This is the first hint we’ve had that Gonzalez could return to the field and although he struggled in 2013, teams would be lining up to sign the future Hall of Famer, especially if the contract came after the beginning of the season, making it non-guaranteed. With shallow rosters, it’s not worth carrying Gonzalez for the next ten months in anticipation of a possible six week stretch that may never come.

Trent Richardson, RB IND

Colts running back Trent Richardson said this week his priority this off-season is to learn the Colts offensive system. He went on to say feeling comfortable with the playbook was necessary and that he also planned to speak to other running backs for advice on how to improve. Clearly, Richardson’s dynasty value has taken a huge hit. With his disappointing season in 2013, he’s gone from a top three overall player to a fifth or sixth round startup draft pick. For those who still believe, he offers great value in drafts or trades.

Matt Cassel, QB FA

This week, Vikings quarterback Matt Cassel announced he planned to void his 2014 contract, making him an unrestricted free agent. It’s a surprise considering Cassel was due nearly $4 million in 2014. There are multiple teams with quarterback needs and along with Michael Vick, Cassel will be among the top options for teams looking to sign a veteran. There’s a solid chance Cassel finds a starting job this off-season as a short-term option.

Larry Fitzgerald, WR ARI

Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald has been in the news a lot recently. Two weeks ago, there were some rumors linking him to the Patriots and then this week, Fitzgerald agreed to restructure his contract. His contract is now reasonable for 2014, but pays him over $23 million in 2015, which could signal the end of his tenure in Arizona.

Zach Miller, TE SEA

An NFL.com report this week said the Seahawks are expected to present starting tight end Zach Miller with the ultimatum of either taking a pay cut or facing a release. Miller has not been fantasy viable since his departure from Oakland, but his release by the Seahawks could open the door for Luke Willson. Willson is the perfect option for dynasty owners looking for the next breakout tight end, in the mold of Jordan Cameron and Julius Thomas this past season.

Sidney Rice, WR SEA

NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport reported this week that the Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks are likely to release wide receiver Sidney Rice, who is seemingly always battling an injury. This season, a torn ACL cost Rice much of the season and the team didn’t miss a beat. Cutting ties with Rice would save the team over $7 million, making the move even more likely. With his consistent injury concerns and uncertain future, Rice has very little dynasty value.

Jermaine Kearse, WR SEA

Seahawks wide receiver Jermaine Kearse had a very nice game on the biggest stage, the team’s Super Bowl victory over the Denver Broncos. Kearse caught four passes for 65 yards and a score and nearly had a second touchdown that was eventually broken up by a Broncos defender. Kearse and teammate Doug Baldwin both left dynasty owners with a good impression as we enter the NFL off-season. Both are very solid players, but lack high-upside, especially in the Seahawks run-heavy offense. I suggest selling high on both players, especially considering Percy Harvin should be back at full strength in 2014.

Michael Vick, QB FA

Adam Schefter of ESPN has reported that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the New York Jets are both expected to show interest in free agent quarterback Michael Vick. As the top free agent quarterback available, Vick should have plenty of interest, even at the age of thirty-four. Injuries have begun to catch up to Vick, who has also struggled with turning the ball over too much. Still, he has high upside for fantasy owners as long as he’s on the field. Both the Jets and Buccaneers have soon to be second year quarterbacks that they don’t seem to have much faith in, namely Geno Smith and Mike Glennon.

Jermichael Finley, TE FA

Things are looking better for tight end Jermichael Finley, who suffered a serious neck injury early this season. The injury was thought to be a potential career ending injury, but now Finley’s agent says he expects the free agent tight end to be cleared within the month. Finley is also being recruited to the New York Giants by some fellow players, which would seem to be a good match, considering the struggles of starter Brandon Myers this season. Finley had lost nearly all of his dynasty value due to the injury, but could be a great value as we wait to see if he can truly fully recover from the injury.

Follow @RyanMc23 on Twitter

[ad1]

Ryan McDowell

Ryan McDowell

Senior Writer at Dynasty League Football
In addition to his role as Senior Staff Writer here at DLF, Ryan is also a husband, father of three and second grade teacher. Ryan is the commissioner of multiple dynasty leagues, most notably the HyperActive Dynasty Leagues. Here at DLF, Ryan’s focus is on identifying, monitoring and analyzing player value. Check out Ryan’s work on the Weekly Impact Events and Dynasty Stock Market, as well as our dynasty ADP data.
Ryan McDowell

Latest posts by Ryan McDowell (see all)

1. Buck

February 7, 2014 at 9:22 am

Opinions wanted…..been offered trade. Des and Kyle Rudolph for josh Gordon. I also have pitta and ladarius green at tight end. I think I’m gonna pull trigger but I’m on the fence …

• thestooge

February 7, 2014 at 9:48 am

I wouldn’t do that. I think dez is the better WR in this trade anyway. If you like gordon more just do it straight up. Not worth adding the upside of rudolph.

• Josh

February 7, 2014 at 11:48 am

I would do that in a heartbeat. Dez is elite and so is Gordon, but QB and new OC is a downgrade to Gordon, and don’t forget he’s one strike away from a year suspension. You would have a surplus at TE’s and could look to trade one for a pick before the draft as well.

• David

February 7, 2014 at 12:15 pm

You are person giving up Dez and Rudolph and getting Gordon right? If so, there is no way I would that trade. Dez for Gordon is about even. Keep Rudolph for sure. He is a big talent and has big time potential with Norv coming to town. Gordon is one binge away from a 1yr suspension, don’t forget. Try to deal Pitta or Green – someone will likely really overvalue Green.

• Cameron Connally

February 7, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Don’t trade. Dez and Gordan are comparable but Dez is more proven and he has the better QB. He’s still so young too. If Gordan slips up again we could be looking at Justin Blackmon V2. Also, Green has a higher ceiling than Rudolph.

2. Buck

February 7, 2014 at 10:09 am

Thanks, I should have been more clear…. I’d be losing Gordon and getting des and rudolph.

• David

February 7, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Just saw this. Do that trade right now.

• BigD

February 7, 2014 at 3:40 pm

amen to that trade…..do it now damn you

• John

February 8, 2014 at 4:46 pm

It was pretty clear to me. Since you originally stated you were OFFERED the trade, it’s logical to conclude that the first names listed (Des and Kyle Rudolph) were in fact what was offered TO you in exchange for josh gordon.

As for the trade, I would do that in a heartbeat.

3. havoc

February 7, 2014 at 11:48 am

Zach Miller should be happy, and his few dynasty owners too, if he is cut by Seattle. People has mostly forgotten but he put up more than decent numbers (career highs for a season of 66 catches and 805 yards) with JaMarcus Russell at QB.

4. Buck

February 7, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Thanks for input guys. I just accepted the trade. I get dez, Rudolph, 4th rd pick. Give up Gordon 5 th rd pick. Always appreciate the feedback.

5. thestooge

February 7, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Ya I thought you were giving up Dez and Rudolph for gordon. Great trade for you! As for the topic I can’t believe Finley is going to put his neck on the line. Didn’t all of his doctors say it wasn’t recommended to go back to football?!

6. Cam

February 7, 2014 at 10:46 pm

What’s the general consensus on Trent’s value from the community here? RB1, RB2, Flex or back up?

• Travis

February 8, 2014 at 12:08 pm

In my opinion Trent Richardson has three problems:

1). The O-Line. There were games last year that Andrew Luck was running for his life every other down. I am not sure they have it together and while a year to gel helps I would be concerned that a single injury unglues this line entirely. Seattle did far better when they were down three of their starters. I’m not sure Indy can handle one goin down.
      2). Pep Hamilton. I haven’t really seen a true commitment to the run from him most of the previous season. Even when committing to “running the ball” there were games Richardson would get single digit rush attempts. Reggie Wayne coming back I think helps since it will help other receivers from getting lost in coverage but Rogers and Brazill flashed brilliance. I think they will commit to the run early but if he proves ineffective early there will be some serious questions, especially if Donald Brown shows any sign of life.
      3). Colt defense. Humbly I’d say this was he most overrated defense hands down this season. If Robert Mathis was nowhere to be found so weren’t the other ten players. If the defense puts them in a hole early, I would expect Richardson to be a non-factor. Donald Brown seems to be the better receiver of the two.

With the above said, I would feel most comfortable flexing TRich until I see some signs of life; but RB2 would probably be OK if you had him there. RB1 is absolutely out of the equation until he returns to his rookie year form (if he does at all)

• J DUB

February 11, 2014 at 7:36 am

I think your right about only Flexing TRich. I wouldn’t even want him as my #2 right now. I watched plenty of Richardson this past year and there were plenty of holes to hit and he ran right by them. I personally think he has terrible vision as a RB. His yds per carry are horrible even his rookie year wasn’t that great. What helped him in Cleveland was his TD’s and catching the ball. I think he is an average running back with with great hands. I wish all the luck to those who have TRich.

7. phantasy5

February 8, 2014 at 3:59 pm

So sad to see Gonzo’s career over, but he’s a first ballot Hall of Famer for sure. He actually won me the title this year with his final performance on Monday Night Football. He’s truly a professional on and off the field and will be sorely missed especially on my team. Thanks Tony G. for all the years of incredible performances, too bad he didn’t win the Big One. I’ll most likely cut him when he announces his retirement, but if he holds out for a late season gig with a contender I don’t think he’s worth holding onto at all.