29 Responses to “Instant Analysis: Dennis Pitta out for the Season”

1. DJB says:

I don’t see how you don’t consider Dickson an option. Who else with the Ravens is viable catching option outside of Rice and Smith? Basically nobody. Two seasons ago, plenty debated Pitta vs Dickson and to be honest I really think Pitta only emerged ahead because of his close relationship with Flacco (they are known to be best of pals). Dickson was used as more of a blocked as he is the more complete TE, but he had a decent stat lines two seasons ago. I don’t see how he can’t put up TE2 numbers with all the loses the Ravens have had on offence. Just my two cents.

2. Ken Kelly says:

He may, but I just haven’t seen enough from him to be confident it’s going to happen. He’s a good blocker, but he’s much more of a plodder. I do think he’s an obvious option for the Ravens, but I don’t see him being a viable option in fantasy. The preseason will go a long way in determining that, as will the Ravens personnel moves (if any) they take to replace Pitta.

3. DJB says:

The other thing to consider here is that Pitta is in a contract year and this might effect whether or not the Ravens sign him long term. Dickson still might be the best dynasty fantasy option for the Ravens next year barring a trade or a drafting of another TE if Pitta walks. Just something to think about. Thank you for taking the time to write this article for all of us here at DLF, much appreciated!

4. alden says:

I have Pitta in three out of four leagues, ouch. Just keep digging to find a gem you gotta dig deep.

5. PV says:

I have one league where a guy has/had Aaron Hernandez and Dennis Pitta. Yeah feel better you Pitta owners it could be worse.

Anyways, I don’t see how Pitta (as their TE1) owners don’t consider Dickson unless they’re really deep and can afford to go get someone else. Dickson is probably on your wire and should produce mid-low end TE2 numbers for free.

6. BigB says:

Any one think Juszczyk could possibly be a sleeper here? He’s pretty much been used all over, and seems to be a pretty good receiver and run after catch guy. Obviously not expecting him to put up what Pitta would have, but based on how he was lining up he could be more than just a fullback. More a deep sleeper than anything, but I’ve never liked Dickson and someone has to see those TE targets this year.

7. Coach says:

well this isn’t good. i traded jimmy graham to get randall cobb and ben tate and then covered up the tight end hole by trading my top rookie pick next season for Pitta because i thought he was due for a major breakout.

ooops.

now i have to hope that zach miller, jordan cameron, julius thomas, brandon myers or the ghost of dallas clark hit.

not too excited about any of them. maybe myers.

• duffmanohno says:

Uhg. Trading Jimmy Graham is just foolish…sorry to hear about your plight, though.

• The Coach says:

not that foolish in my opinion. i have demaryius thomas, but vincent jackson and marques colston are aging. Cobb is going to be a top 8 WR this year. I also have Foster and have been after Tate for quite a while, not only to back up foster but also hoping next year he signs elsewhere and i can start foster and tate.

Pitta was my ace in the sleeve. i liked him for a huge year this year, so when it was made clear that i could grab him i deemed graham expendable. shit happens i guess.

8. Shaun says:

What are the chances the Ravens trade for someone? Celek is buried in Philly, Gresham is obviously being replaced long term in Cincy and Denver has more TEs than they can use. Any chance Ozzie goes out and gets a replacement instead of thrusting Dickson into the starting role?

• Broseph says:

I’m going to wager they look for another tight end to add. Maybe a Visanthe Shiancoe type of TE.

*smacks his forehead*

• phantasy5 says:

From your lips to Ozzie’s ears my friend! I have Celek and he’s actually on my cut list, have until Thurs. 8/1 for it to happen unless he gets the axe.

9. Mike says:

The Ravens already have a better TE in house that they stole after the draft in free agent signings. Matt Furstenburg was projected by some to be a top 5 TE in the draft, but a dumpster fire at the QB position at Maryland derailed any hopes of it. The talent is there; whether he gets an honest chance is another story.

• bulc flog says:

Mike’s been paying attention. Furstenburg was creating a buzz in camp prior to the Pitta injury. Maybe Ozzie already did his job!

10. Sensei John Kreese says:

You guys who lost Pitta, go out and try to get Rob Housler. He is going to be a factor in Arizona this year. He can be had relatively cheap right now.

• Andr3w says:

This is my thought too. He was a guy I was targetting as it is. But if you are hurting at TE because of AHern or Pitta I think Housler will be big in the middle of Arizona’s offense with Floyd and Fitz drawing a ton of attention outside.

• phantasy5 says:

I like Housler too, but Arians is not too TE friendly! Miller in Pit. numbers went down with him as OC. Last season with Haley, Miller resurged! Same can be said for Fleener and Allen too? Just my opinion!

• Sensei John Kreese says:

True, but Carson likes to lean on tight ends, and Housler has a ridiculous skill set. That is a good point, though.

11. Eric Hardter says:

Another name who should come cheaply is Marcedes Lewis. Despite the downright atrocious QB play in JAX last season, he still somehow managed to finish as the TE18 in PPR leagues…not a starter, but a solid bye week replacement for sure. The new regime seems to be high on him, and more importantly, he has a chance to build chemistry with [insert QB's name here] early on due to Blackmon’s suspension. I’d much rather have him than Dickson right now.

• slppyclwn says:

Thanks Eric, i traded Housler earlier in the year to fill another hole, because I was expecting big things out of Pitta. Obviously, his injury had me feeling regretful. But i also had added Lewis to my roster on a whim during the draft. I’m now really hoping he has a decent year.

12. BigD says:

alha….enter dallas clark.

13. SJ says:

Hmm.. I actually have Housler and M.Lewis in a league where I lost Pitta. Guess my work is done in replacing him. Unfortunately, no one is going to replace the likely 80 rec Pitta was going to catch thi yr. Sad.. a guaranteed 200+ pt PPR player gone with the wind.

14. Irvs Irvineson says:

Karma is a bitch. I had Crabtree and was counting on a monster season in my dynasty. When he went out and tore his achilles, our league champion, who could afford to wait, traded me Reuben Randle and Pitta for him. I felt really good about this deal until last night when I heard about Pitta.

15. Zach says:

Is Pitta worth holding on to my roster in a 12 team league when I already have Graham and Kelece?

16. jnyc says:

Don’t listen to this poor analysis. Go get Dickson. The guy was the Ravens TE to own two years ago (things always change fast), last year he got derailed and had some injuries. I have know idea why the author thinks Dickson is a plodder, he’s a better athlete than Pitta. However he doesn’t have as sure hands as Pitta – but that is something he can work on.

In 2011
    Dickson – 54 receptions, 528 yards, 5 tds
    Pitta – 40 receptions, 405 yards, 3 tds

There is zero reason to think Dickson can’t build off his 2011 line and produce, 80 receptions, 800 yards, and 10 tds. In standard PPR this would equal 220 fantasy points, which is easily TE 1 numbers.

Pitta was already being over drafted as people were discounting the presence of Dickson.

Those who let Dickson pass them by at his bargain price today will regret it later.

17. dlfkenk says:

A lot of good debate here, that’s great. My thinking is even if Dickson plays up to his potential this year (his ceiling is lower than Pitta’s in my mind), he still wouldn’t be able to crack though a huge group of second tier tight ends. I just don’t believe the potential is there to be a difference maker in fantasy leagues, while there could have been with Pitta.

18. lastStand says:

I agree a little with you Ken, Dickson has not showed a lot. But at the same time I do not believe he’s a plodder. He just can’t catch the ball weather it be drops or just a bad play on the ball. Both of those problems can be fixed. At the same time I think Just because Pitta was primed and ready to produce. Does not mean Dickson is just going to step in and do it all himself. Although the last game of the season when they took Pitta out Dickson jumped in and had 6-64 on the day. It’s possible Dickson could put up about the same #’s Pitta did last year. If he fixes his drops he could be inline for 6 to 10 TDs. I think Pitta would have easily put up 1000yd 10TD season.

I’m so glad I traded Pitta, Fitzpatrick and Kolb for Rivers, DeAngelo and Brandon Myers. All 3 were well needed depth I did need Rivers as a backup QB.

• SJ says:

Given the longterm, if Pitta comes back to form (possible/not possible).. I still think that owner got the better of the deal give the likeliness that Rivers DeAngelo and Myers are all limited values not beyond this year.