24 Responses to “Ranking by Positional Role: The Running Backs”

1. NattyDread says:

Interesting idea and nice writeup. Get your every day lineup from the ‘starters’, add a few ‘upsiders’ at the end of your bench, and use ‘backups’ as handcuffs. I suppose my strategy in dynasty has been in line with this article for years, but having it written down and organized as you did is a big help. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make in assembling their roster is mistaking ‘backups’ for ‘upsiders.

• The Doctor says:

I definitely think a lot, maybe even post people, think in terms of these concepts when roster building, I’d just never seen the idea written down and fleshed out before, so I think it’s a good discussion to have.

2. Territdown33 says:

Where’s Ryan Mathews?

• SD Guy says:

No kidding, i know not many have faith in him and rightly so. But he is still a starter on a NFL team. Seriously you have Fred Jackson on your starter list before Mathews. I sure hope this is an oversight.

• DP says:

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. The guy is still a starter for the chargers.

3. Britt says:

Was Ryan Matthews left off on purpose? I like him quite a bit better than Fred Jackson as a starter this year despite his injury history.

• The Doctor says:

That was an accident, I must’ve dropped him off while I was chopping up the lists. He would have been on the Starter list, probably in Jonathan Stewart territory. Not very high on him.

4. Britt says:

Looks like me & Terridown realized this at the same moment – posts 2 minutes apart.

5. Mark says:

I have to question Tate being where he is and some of the players on the upside list instead….really weird I think if you take a look at the 2011 numbers.

• The Doctor says:

I just don’t really see a likely scenario in which Tate has clear starter value for longer than <1 season, and that is only if Foster were to get a season-ending injury. If Foster were to drop off the face of the planet tomorrow, I don't think that The Texans would just slide Tate up their depth chart and roll with him as the all-purpose starter. I also think that Tate's skill set is a perfect fit for where he is, so I don't see him ever being brought in as someone else's starter either.

I think he's one of the best handcuffs you can have in fantasy football, but he's not someone I'm stashing waiting for the day that he's a starting RB.

6. Abram Prince says:

I like the idea behind these articles, but could someone please show me any draft where lamar miller and chris ivory even go within a round of chris johnson? much less before him

• The Doctor says:

These rankings are my own personal ones, and don’t really have anything to do with where other people would take them in a draft. This actually isn’t even necessarily a list of how I’d draft them unless I was in a draft that didn’t allow trading up/down.

That said, in the most recent startup draft I participated in (the $300 DFWC), Miller went four picks after Johnson, who was drafted at 4.01, so that’s well within a round.

As for my personal feelings on Johnson, I worry about the age/workload of RB’s who rely heavily on speed moreso than more well-rounded RB’s. I think as soon as Johnson loses half a step, he could fall off of a cliff. The prospect of him losing goal line work does not help either.

• mike_blahnik says:

I recommend selling Chris Johnson while his rep still outpaces his production/long-term outlook. If you can trade him for Lamar Miller and a 2nd or Chris Ivory and a 1st, I suggest you take that shot before the world catches up to Mike’s rankings. Even if the Titans offensive improves leaps and bounds this year with the revamped OL (very possible), I believe the Titans will be able to cut him with minimal dead money impact after 2013. I think they must have that date circled in dark red ink, considering all of his issues. If the offense doesn’t improve then it’s possible CJ, Britt, Munchak, and possibly Locker will all be elsewhere in 2014.

FYI: In an on-going 16-team startup I’m in Lamar Miller went 6 picks after CJ. Ivory went 31 picks later.

7. GDuB says:

With the upside of Vereen, would you rather have Ridley/Bennett or Vereen/Graham?

8. JJDubya says:

I like the approach. My lone thought on the list is that you have Ballard and Bradshaw in reverse order. I just don’t see Ballard ranking higher than him on a 1-3 year timeline. Although prone to some injuries which he’s more than willing and able to play through, I think Bradshaw will be the more productive back this year and next. I get the dynasty discount being applied here, but he’s only 27 so if he has a solid year this year he has the opportunity to keep the top spot going forward for another year or two, at least. Plus he’s going to play with a grudge this year. Show the Giants and any team that passed him up (Steelers, for instance) that he’s not washed up.

• The Doctor says:

Fair point. I actually handed this in a couple weeks ago, so the Bradshaw signing hadn’t happened yet.

9. Eric says:

Speaking on behalf of Kyle, Ronnie Hillman and his 20 pounds should be in the top 15 of Starters and Montee Ball should be around #26 on the back-up list.

10. Doug says:

Mike Goodson? I know you’re getting pretty deep here, and you are high on Ivory, but was wondering about your thoughts on Goodson. I’d personally put him around the 20 range of upside guys, but pretty close to creeping to the backup list.

11. Chris says:

I thought the same thing. I feel he belongs ahead of Powell, even with his legal issues. If it’s based solely on talent and opportunity, I think he is abundantly more talented that Powell and it seems as though he’ll get the opportunity to be the 3rd down back for NY while the legal process wears on.

12. Mink says:

I like the list, believe I’d have Mendenhall a little higher since he’s just 25. Also agree on Vereen and Pierce, but I have them 2, 3, with C.Michael being 1. Interested to see how Leshoure looks now after a full 2 years since his surgery. If he has any explosion back like a Illinois, he could surprise.

13. Hammer says:

Two double questions please.

Do you see Brandon Jackson being the backup for Richardson in Cleveland? If so is he worth owning for a handcuff?

What is the chance of Charles Sims entering the Supplemental Draft? Where do you rank him among the rookie RB’s not knowing which team he will end up with?