21 Responses to “Dynasty Debate: Cam Newton vs. Colin Kaepernick”

1. Adam Held says:

I agree with your assessment. I think one other difference that wasn’t mentioned is that Cam is built like a middle linebacker where Kap is more of a gazelle. I hope it doesn’t happen, but it doesn’t take much to imagine one hit to Kap’s gazelle-like legs knocking him out of a few games. Then he might not run as much, his value goes down, etc. I guess injuries could happen to anyone – but Cam seems indestructible and Kap does not appear to be.

• Brian Bulmer says:

I would agree with that assessment. I was going to address that during the research of this project and noticed that Kaepernick is 6’4″ 230 lbs compared to Cam Newton at 6’5″ 245 lbs. Certainly both quarterbacks have the build to take hits and no player is prone to injury. At this point in both of their young careers neither player has missed time due to injury. If I had to pick one of the two players for long term value, and consider injury as a factor, I would consider that Newton may be able to take more hits due to his physical size, but Kaepernick has a much better offensive line at this point to protect from blindside hits. Just my additional two cents.

2. Wesley Wood says:

Cam Newton for the win.

3. Brian Bulmer says:

4. John Martelin says:

It’s all about getting the value for me and I’ll take Kaep 1 1/2 rds after Cam all day long.

5. Griffin says:

I’m starting a new dynasty league with auction drafting to create salaries this summer. I will be trying to get Kaep for a decent deal.

6. VoiceofUnreason says:

Kaepernick drafted to be Smith’s backup and run some Wildcat? I’ll resist.

7. vu dang says:

My question is how does RG3 stack up against 2 these 2? Obviously RG3 is a transcendent talent but the injury risk is extremely high. Is he being devalued in this community because of the risk?

• Brian Bulmer says:

Certainly injury history presents a new variable when looking at the value at quarterback. Based on dynasty average draft position Cam Newton is being drafted as the fourth quarterback off the board followed by RGIII and Kaep at 7th quarterback off the board. RGIII does have a risk factor currently knowing that he is coming off of an injury that obviously hindered him the last 5 games of the season. He is more of a risk due to the fact that he has had major knee surgery in the offseason. I think his overall value increases as fantasy owners gain confidence that RGIII is back to his early 2012 form.

8. Krcil says:

Great write up. I agree with the assessments and I think this is a tough comparison because when it comes to which player would you rather have I think Cam wins hands down, because he is more proven and has the same upside as Kaep (which I understand is arguable).

But, Kaep is probably more valuable considering where you can get Kaep and when you consider his his upside. One thing that I don’t like about Kaep is that he rarely throws more than 30 times in a game. I believe he has only done it twice and both of them were losses.

• Brian Bulmer says:

Thanks for the kind words. Kaep certainly has the ability to put up points in bunches (see Playoff game against Green Bay). He is able to make plays in the pocket and decisively can move out of the pocket and make plays with his legs. I would agree that he is not a true pocket passer but does have the ability to throw from the pocket. Adding a weapon in Boldin in the offseason gives him another weapon and that will certainly help. It also did not hurt that San Francisco was very effective in the running game finishing 4th in league in rushing offense. The effective running game and solid defense allowed the Niners to limit the number of throws Kaep had to make per game.

• Krcil says:

And I guess I was wondering if we could even go deeper into that. Do you believe that the great defense and great running game almost hurts his value a bit because he doesn’t get those attempts?

• Brian Bulmer says:

His value as a passing quarterback is not as high as the elite guys like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning. Kaeps value is as a dual threat quarterback. He certainly has the tools to be a great quarterback. The strength of the defense give Kaep more chances to score. The running game finishing fourth in the league had a lot to do with Kaepernick. He rushed for 415 yards on 63 carries. Kaep finished 3rd in rushing yards as a QB behind only Newton and RGIII. RGIII and Newton had double the carries as Kaep. I would not say the lack of attempted passes hurt his value but much like RGIII if Kaep gets injured he takes a big stock hit due to his lack of mobility and chances to produce fantasy points on the ground

9. Glen says:

I have Luck and Kaepernick so I think I am set for a while. Unless somebody really wows me with a trade offer I’ll keep both.

• Kim Berry says:

Get article!!! Definitely made me question trading Kap. I have Luck and Wilson. And had Kap too. But traded him for Harvin. Some guys in my league think I got screwed. I know Kap has HUGE potential but so do the other two QB’s and so does Harvin. Especially having Wilson throwing to him and still in a solid run game. It’s all a gamble but I hope Harvin excels at WR1 this year and we see his true potential.

10. Laid Dogg says:

I have RG3 & Kaep!!! I’m super pumped for the upcoming season. Shady, Percy & Hernandez are my RB, WR & TE!!! I’m going for back 2 back Championships this year!!!

11. David Roberts says:

I have cam and kaep and thinking of trading one. I love cam’s size but his team and weapons selection is definitely not as favorable as kaep’s. Just fishin for some outside advice.

12. Howdy! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an
    established blog. Is it tough to set up your own
    blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m
    thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Cheers

13. I love what you guys are up too. This sort of clever work and exposure!
    Keep up the great works guys I’ve included you guys to my own blogroll.