34 Responses to “Dynasty Debate: T.Y. Hilton vs. Cecil Shorts”

1. Tom says:

What impact will the switch in offensive philosophy have on Hilton (switching from Arians’ vertical deep-ball approach to Hamilton’s run-heavy west coast style)? Do you have any history on how this type of player (slight build, extremely quick) produces in a west coast style offense?

I saw Hilton as a parallel to “Antonio Brown” in the Arians’ Steelers attack. Don’t know who to compare him to now…

• Moo says:

Hugely ignored storyline here: expect Hilton’s numbers to DECLINE with the scheme change a la Antonio Brown…

• Eric Olinger says:

I view Hilton as the Mike Wallace of this offense with Reggie Wayne being the PPR guy, a la Antonio Brown. I view Hilton as a key contributor to this offense and with Andrew Luck at the helm, even in a WCO, Luck will take his shots down field. Hilton did, and will do, his damage in large chunks. I would be incredibly shocked to see Indy spend big money in FA on a WR with other holes to fill.

2. Mark Rockwell says:

I like them both and on talent alone I’d pick shorts. He’s got two big dings in his value though. First tge obvious, he plays for Jacksonville where quarterbacks go to die (or never really wake up). Second, the concussions worry me long term.

3. Luke Bouchard says:

How do the 2 concussions in just half a season starting have no bearing moving forward?

4. Ken Dogson says:

I’m not confident in either, though if you are playing in a 25+ deep roster then I suspect that there would be nothing available with greater value. I would certainly take either on any of my teams.

I think the Colts will improve the WR position through FA (Jennings?) and the draft, and I think Blackmon is going to be the primary target in JAC, with the TE coming in second.

Neither looks anything better than W3 or W4 moving forward. Hilton may not even be that if the Colts really spend those cap dollars on OFF and pick up a classic WC offense 6-1/210 YAC WR early in the draft.

• voiceofunreason says:

So the Marcedes Lewis breakthrough is happening again this year. It’s getting to be like easter;)

• Eric Olinger says:

Hilton screams “yards after catch”. The quicker you get the ball in his hands the better. He has to get his drop issue fixed though.

5. John Schaffner says:

Why has Jordan Shipley been ignored in all debates regarding Shorts. Shipley flashed potential early in his career before his knee injury and finally looked healthy at the end of last year. He finished the season strong in Shorts absence…

• Eric Olinger says:

I think it was more of a victim of circumstance. There is no promise he is even on the week 1 roster next year. Hopefully he is 100% healthy though because he can contribute to teams.

6. Bryan says:

I would take Josh Gordon before these two. Gordon I think will be a stud in a few years. Gordon put up numbers without a training camp and not starting at the beginning of the season. Turner being the OC will help him be a stud top 15 dynasty WR. BUY NOW!!!

• Mark says:

Keep in mind that Gordon was drafted with high Expectations. T.Y and Shorts came out of nowhere to relevance. Gordon is going to be good so long as the brown can get a QB worth a damn.

• Eric Olinger says:

I love Gordon too. My expectations are much higher for him. This article is simply comparing 2 talents who I are close in ranking with opportunity to grow.

7. Mark says:

I was lucky enough to pick up both as FA last year. I have a few owners interested in trading. What do guys think they are worth. We play 25 deep PPR, start 3 WR.

8. Alan says:

I say 975 yards and 7 tds when henne took over is not to shabby. Would like to see what happens w henne as full time starter for week 1. I have Shorts n im happy to own him. I think he can easilly surpass 1000 yards n 10 tds w henne at the helm.

• Tim Stafford says:

I’ll take that bet. How “easily” will he surpass 10TDs? Will you give 2-1 that he does that? If so, I’ll put up some cash!

• Steve Wyremski says:

You’re interested in a Shorts wager? I’m game — just wait til my Shorts article hits and then we can decide on a #.

• Alan Bauerle says:

Tim really? I’m just sayin look how good he did once Henne took over. Sorry about the typo on easily. Obviously it bothered you. I don’t bet but to see what he did after week 6 has to speak for something. But it’s real nice to get a responce like that from a writer on this site. I will not renew my subscription this year.

• BigD says:

i see another pierre garcon situation here. 975 and 7 was about max and that will be max again if not taking a step back say 600 and 5. jonesdrew will be back. blackmon is opening up and that will level off his production.

• Mark Rockwell says:

I agree that shorts won’t easily go over 1000/10 but I think Garcon is a superior option. He was top 10-12 when he played this yr. Garcon could be a beast.

• Chad Scott says:

Extrapolate Garçons ‘healthy’ game’s stats and he would have been the 7th best WR in standard scoring leagues…. I love Garçon going forward… With Cousins or RGIII.

Good stuff Eric. Comparing 2 players with similar ranks are always good reads.

9. Derek says:

I’ve got Shorts and Gordon in my Dynasty league and am hoping for big things from both… fingers crossed! How do you feel about Kendall Wright’s future? as I have him as well!

10. Chris in Chuck says:

I traded Shorts for the 1.10, 2.9 and 3.3.
    I had enough dead wood on my team (30 man rosters with a DL position) to take some shots on a rookie TE or LB.
    Plus, I am hoping to trade up in the 2014 draft.

And the concussions scare me for a player who doesn’t have a QB good enough to help him stay away from big hits.

11. Hanno Prozeller says:

Good read here. On Shorts: I think you can count the WR’s measuring 6-0 or lower posting 10 or more TDs on one hand, otherwise I think he’ll be a good complement to Blackmon. Oppsoing defenses won’t be able to neutralize them both. But he won’t be top 10 ever, fantasy-wise.
    On Hilton: To me, he doesn’t seem like a good fit in a WCO, but Collie does. Not saying, that Hilton will disappear, but I’m not expecting Steve Smith-like numbers, though both are similarly built.

• Derek says:

Shorts put up 55/979/7 in his first full season half of which Laurent Robinson took a lot of targets … if healthy no reason to believe he couldn’t put up a 65/1100/10 type season even if he is the 2nd option!

12. Lotto4Life says:

The Colts OC loved utilizing two TEs at Stanford. I don’t know if he will with the Colts, but it’s something to keep an eye on.

13. Eric Olinger says:

According to the EXCELLENT ADP data being collected by Ryan McDowell, Hilton is currently being drafted as the WR31 and Shorts as the WR37 so the optimism for both definitely exists.

14. Sterling says:

I just wanted to thank you for writing a very interesting article. I greatly enjoyed reading, the comments as well O_o.