Dynasty Dilemma: Kenny Britt

As we mentioned with CJ Spiller in one of our recent Dynasty Dillema articles, there are some player who will absolutely break your heart when they enter the league because they can’t reach expectations due to lack of development or playing time.  There’s an entirely different group of players who will make you sick to your stomach for a completely different reason.

Enter the fabulous world of Kenny Britt.

Anyone who has drafted and kept Britt on their roster since he was the 30th pick in the 2009 Draft will tell you all about the highs and lows of having him.  They’ll attest to some very high “highs” and very low “lows.”

Britt has unquestioned talent and a supreme skill set. In fact, you’d be hard pressed to count five other receivers who have more genuine ability than he does.  However, you’d also find just as great a challenge in finding another group of receivers who have been arrested SEVEN times in the past three years.

SEVEN.

In each of the Dynasty Dilemma articles, there are two distinct sides to the coin. Let’s roll with the upside first.

Britt is a monster on the field, plain and simple.  In his 31 career games, he’s posted 101 catches, 1,765 yards and 15 touchdowns. Those stats don’t come anywhere near giving him justice, though.

Prior to his ACL injury last year, Britt had 17 catches, 289 yards and three scores in just three games. More importantly, he looked unstoppable to the naked eye.  There are some players who simply have the “it” factor and there’s little doubt that “it” resides heavily in Britt.  If you extrapolate those stats for an entire season, you’d have player who would have generated something close to 90 catches, 1,541 yards and 16 touchdowns. I’ll admit that’s a small sample size to simply multiply, but anyone who watched him at the beginning of the season would likely agree that wasn’t outside the realm of possibilities.

Britt has all the makings of a WR1 in the league based on his ability. In addition, he’s still just 23 years old.  Reports are that he’s matured over the past year and has been humbled somewhat by his injury. He’s married now and has kept his nose clean for the better part of a year now – that’s actually quite an achievement for Britt considering how much free time he had after getting hurt. It’s hard to remember, but Britt was the youngest player in the league for over a year.

It’s easy to see Britt being a pillar to build around in dynasty leagues for the better part of the next decade based on his abilities and the productivity that could come.

It’s also easy to see the bad side with Britt.

Even though he’s still very young, a torn ACL is a torn ACL. It’s very difficult to project exactly how explosive he’ll be until we actually see him on the field.  In addition, he’s dealt with hamstring issues in the past. Building around any player with an injury history can be very, very dicey.

In addition, the Titans are a team in transition. Jake Locker looks the part, but nobody can really say definitively how he’s going to fare this season. If he struggles, Britt’s numbers are going to suffer, at least in the short term.

The obvious downfall with Britt is his off the field behavior. After avoiding a suspension due to three of his arrests coming during the lockout, you can bet that Britt is squarely on the radar of the league office.  Anything he gets in trouble for, and I mean anything, is going to carry with it a very stiff penalty from the league office.

So, where do we go from here?

If you’re not the gambling type, Britt is the perfect candidate for a little method I’ve shared on this site before – the rule of 1.5. Basically, that rule of thumb means you take that player’s dynasty ranking and multiply it by 1.5 in order to minimize your risk in acquiring him or give you at least some value in return if you decide you want out from the danger they represent.  For example, Britt is currently ranked at #16 in our dynasty rankings. If I was to trade for him, I’d be looking to give up some type of value around the #24 ranked wide receiver – even though that’s likely not going to get it done.  Any more than that would start to get a little too rich.  Using that same general rule, I’d also be looking to get something around that value if I wanted out from under him. Again, that’s a rule to use ONLY if you don’t like risk.

If you can stomach the risk, there’s major upside here.  As I stated, it’s very easy to see Britt be a WR1 and a pillar to build around for a long, long time.  He could easily finish any given season in the top five at his position.  If you’re a competing team, he could represent a great “buy” right now.

Personally, I’ve had players like this bury my team.  From Michael Vick to Plaxico Burress, and countless names in between, you name them and I’ve been burned.  I’ve seen it time and time again where a player with questionable character traits ends up being waived off rosters with owners getting nothing back for them – that’s THE major mistake in dynasty leagues and one that can ruin a franchise for years.

With Britt, I’d take him, but only if I was able to get him at a discount from a long-time disgruntled owner who has had enough. If not, I’ll take my chances with someone who hasn’t spent as much time in the infirmary or the County Lockup.

Ken Kelly

Ken Kelly

Senior Partner - Executive Editor at DynastyLeagueFootball
Ken is a corporate trainer by day an a tireless editor of dynasty content by night. His passion for the World Champion Seattle Seahawks is second only to his love of fantasy football and the dynasty format.

Ken is on Twitter at DLF_KenK
Ken Kelly

1. StevieMo

April 16, 2012 at 6:39 am

The beauty of dynasty league football is that you have to make such long-term decisions — just like real GM’s do. There’s nothing like a tease to keep you scratching your head and sacrificing part of your soul, ever hoping that the guy will finally grow up and dominate. I remember keeping Laurence Phillips on my roster for a few years, always hoping he’d get his head on straight (which he never did). Jeff George also made the rounds in our league — he of the monster arm and one big year.

The “gamble on greatness” picks are an interesting part of the game, but my rule is no more than one (character) flyer on my team at any given time.

2. Boomer

April 16, 2012 at 7:08 am

Earlier in the offseason I got Roddy White and 1.6 for Britt. Still high on the guy but felt that was enough to part with him.

• Lotto4Life

April 16, 2012 at 7:31 am

I could probably make the exact same trade, but I also have Julio, and I’m not sure I really want both of those guys. I would love to move up into the top 7 in the rookie draft, though (have 1.11).

• Boomer

April 16, 2012 at 7:37 am

Lol. I have Julio as well and b/c I also have Megatron didn’t see a reason to keep all three young guys on the roster at the same time.

• Sensei_John_Kreese

April 16, 2012 at 7:46 am

“b/c I also have Megatron didn’t see a reason to keep all three young guys on the roster at the same time.”

Anyone else remember the “Bad idea jeans” sketch from SNL?

• joekool

April 16, 2012 at 9:11 am

Why would you not want 3 young studs? The more 1-studs and 2-youth..the better..no? So if Britt doesnt work out, you still have Calvin and Julio..and maybe could flip Britt for someone else who maybe has a crush on him…etc

• Boomer

April 16, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I have Mike Wallace as well. Can only start 2 WR’s and a flex. To be honest Julio sits the bench on my team.

• Boomer

April 16, 2012 at 6:27 pm

….and Torrey Smith. So my WR’s after this deal are Mike Wallace, Megatron, Smith, and both Falcon WR’s. Anyone else now see why I don’t NEED another young WR.

3. BenP

April 16, 2012 at 7:16 am

Bought Britt in my league from a down owner for Miles Austin and some other smaller pieces. Hoping that Britt is turning the corner in his personal life and ready to focus solely on football. I think he can return to form after the acl, but we’ll see. I’m a Britt believer, and think the sky’s the limit for this kid.

4. Luke

April 16, 2012 at 8:28 am

First article of the series I disagree with. I love Britt. A couple of days ago I traded Miles Austin, Robert Meachem, Jermaine Gresham, and a 2013 1st for Britt and Jason Witten. It was a lot to pay but I felt it was worth it.

• Eric

April 16, 2012 at 10:05 am

I like Britt too, but yeeesh that’s an overpay for a player with many questions to answer.

• Luke

April 16, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Yeah, I thought that at first too. But Austin has hamstring problems of his own, who knows if Meachem will do good in SD, Witten is a upgrade over Gresham, and I think that my 2013 1st should be rather late. If Britt plays a full year, I think I’ll look back at this and say it was a steal

5. tebow

April 16, 2012 at 10:54 am

awe im like a girl that always falls in love with the bad boy and gets my heart broken w these types of players. high talent but have baggage,im a sucker for love what can i say?!hahaha britt is a player that can get u in trouble its better to stay away and see what he does before u trade anything for him. its better to overpay to know what your getting than getting burned

6. coach

April 16, 2012 at 10:55 am

i’m not a fan. no thanks.

7. Joe

April 16, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I just recently got KBritt and 3.11, I gave up finley,1.7,2.7. How did I fare on this deal?

• Scott

April 16, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I’d say pretty good. Last year, I traded Britt for Anquan Boldin, Emmanuel Sanders, 2012 pick 1.02 and 3.02. I actually didn’t want to trade Britt, but I lost him to injury, and my team ended up 12-1 and competing for a title. I kind of regret that deal, but at least I got pick 1.02. I like Britt a lot, and traded Peyton Manning/Victor Cruz for Michael Vick/Britt in another dynasty league. Yeah, he is an injury risk, and his off-the-field issues are a concern. Still, he is an elite talent, and if you can stomach the risk, I think it is worth picking up him. In your case, I think you did very well. I’m not convinced Finley’s production will ever reach the hype, although he is a talented player in his own right. Pick 1.7 and 2.7 is not hard to lose when you are talking about a player like Britt.

8. Jason

April 16, 2012 at 2:54 pm

What kind of runningback… what range should I be targeting if I were to trade Britt… I’m already solid at receiver and at this moment wouldn’t even be starting him but am desperate for a runningback

• Josh G

April 16, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Maybe in the Beanie Wells or Ahmad Bradshaw type range I would guess?

• Luke

April 16, 2012 at 3:34 pm

No, you should get a better back. In the ADP data the PFF posted the other day, Britt is going in the range of Forte, DMC, and Charles. Look there

• Scott

April 16, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I agree with Luke. I don’t think Beanie Wells is enough. I think a RB like Forte or Run DMC would be necessary to move Britt. Another possibility would be Demarco Murray. That is more in line with Britt’s current value, which seems to have reached gargantuan hype. Now, whether that hype is right or wrong is another question. What is not a question is excitement generated by Britt in most dynasty leagues, and that excitement has escalated his asking price. Britt has potential top 5 upside, and that comes with a high price.

• Josh G

April 16, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Good luck getting a top 10 RB for a WR with lots of questions (jail time, injury, questionable QB)…if you can..more power to ya.

• Scott

April 16, 2012 at 7:28 pm

You won’t get Kenny Britt for Beanie Wells. I seriously doubt you would find anyone on DLF who thinks otherwise.

• Josh G

April 16, 2012 at 8:03 pm

You may be right..but I dont think you’d get McFadden either. I was merely trying to find a decent range where he’d be. Since McFad, when healthy, could be a top 5 RB..and Britt needs a better QB…I dont see Britt as a top 5 WR personally..ala..Megatron, Fitz, Nicks, AJ Green, Jennings, Cruz, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Roddy, Wallace..are all ahead of him (though I might be inclined to give the nod over White due to age)..plus some others that are maybes like Harvin, Jordy Nelson, Marshall, Austin..etc.

It was just a range..no need to split hairs so much.

• Coach

April 17, 2012 at 8:12 am

you’re nutsy. no way would i trade forte, mcfadden or charles for Britt. teams that devalue running backs are teams i want in my league.

• Josh G

April 17, 2012 at 10:48 am

exactly my point..which is why someone more like Beanie Wells or Bradshaw comes to mind. Perhaps thats not enough by some peoples estimations..and thats fine too..but Forte/McFadden/JC Superstar is way overpaying for Kenny Britt.

• Luke

April 17, 2012 at 11:13 am

i can concede maybe forte is too high. but whats nutsy about JC or DMC? JC as well is coming off a torn ACL, and being a speed back, that might affect him more than a WR. DMC is always hurt, and while he has top 5 potential, so does Britt. I wouldn’t trade Britt for DMC.

• Josh G

April 18, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Then we are in agreement..no way in h3ll I’d give up DMC for Kenny Britt

😉

9. Spolan

April 16, 2012 at 2:59 pm

great article!

just an idea for a future article: the history of talented players that had many off field issues early in their career and how many of them actually ended up maturing and turning the corner.

• Scott

April 16, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Good idea. Brandon Marshall, TO, VJax, Djax, Randy Moss come to mind.

10. Chris

April 16, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Take a closer look at this photo. No way your #1 WR should wear a thong!

“Putting with a Wedge”–Randy Quaid

11. tebow

April 17, 2012 at 12:05 am

guys that blow their knees out and you can still get full value do it for a fresh pair of legs. charles and britt are going like they played a full 16,if you can get them for cheap go for it but dont forget that they were laying around when you needed points

• Eric

April 17, 2012 at 11:37 am

Completely agree. I basically have the “All-ACL” team right now, since I still have Britt from my original draft, and traded for Charles this offseason.

There’s just too much recent history of young guys without much tread on their tires making full recoveries from ACL surgery. Even Welker came back and caught 120 balls this year, and he’s no spring chicken. Moreover, AP still seems to be a pretty hot commodity, and he tore his ACL at the end of the season.

With Britt, I can get on board with being scared away by his rap sheet. But passing on a 23-year old WR with top 5 potential because of a torn ACL in week 3 is just crazy.

12. Will

April 17, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Hey ken i was wondering if you take suggestions on dynasty dilemmas and if so id like to see one about brandon marshall, idk if he fits your criteria for a dynasty dilemma but idk what to expect from him this yr and was thinking about trying to acquire him.

13. sixshooter

April 22, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Hey Will, as a Bronco fan I can tell you that BMarsh finished his last three seasons in Denver with 100+ catches and somehow found a way to produce two 80+ catch seasons in Miami with Johnny No Name tossing the rock to him. Not sure why anyone questions this guy unless it is concerns about his character because the guy has yet to fail to produce on the field and being reunited with Cutler is nothing but good news for Marshall owners, and Cutler owners for that matter! Cutler and Marshall are pretty close and Cutler seems to know how to relate to Marshall in a way that many others have failed to do so it will be interesting to see how this all works out.

Right now though might be the last chance you can get Marshall at a decent value because if he and Cutler connect like they did in Denver, I am afraid that Marshall’s value will go through the roof. Maybe I am being a bit extreme but I honestly believe these two are in for a great season as long as Marshall can stay out of trouble and both can stay healthy!!!