14 Responses to “Start Up 101”

1. Greg G. says:

Nice content. What are some of the most original names you have come across? Last season, I called myself KMA (due to the lack of respect I received from the other owners en route to a championship title). This season, I am hoping to land Richardson to pair with Rice and I will call the team “A little R&R”

2. tidewaterjc says:

Well done once again Tim! Great insight that commissioners of all start-ups this season should make a must read for anyone new to dynasty.

This one brings back memories——

Recommendation Five: Know the Value of Future Rookie Picks
    Let the sharks get angry. In a free league there’s no room for these type maneuvers you describe. I was offered for my 2.05 start-up pick a 1.r from each of the next 2 years by one of these sharks…. happened to be the commish too… which in my mind made it even worse. Of course I rejected and selected ARod. In a money league – caveat emptor.

3. Coach says:

i know this is off topic… but does anyone have any advice for starting a fantasy baseball league?

I love dynasty league football… like all of us do… and would like to put together a dynasty baseball league.

however it gets complicated with the minor league systems.

any advice would be appreciated!

4. Great advice, Tim. Beginners would do well to follow these basic steps for optimized success.

5. Jackson C. says:

What website would you recommend for starting a dynasty. My friends and I use ESPN
    for our re-draft league, but it doesn’t have many dynasty features, and I was wondering if there were any good sites you recommend.

6. Rollllers says:

Nice article for the newbies. I like use the ADP strategy in my redraft leagues also but if you gonna start up a dynasty league I would strongly suggest using an auction draft instead of the same ole snake. The auction draft gives Everyone a shot at EVERY player. The studs don’t just goto the lucky first few picks. You have to pay for studs at the value you deem fit.

7. Matt says:

I see in the note for the article that it assumes non-IDP. I am starting a 16 team dynasty full IDP league this year, so how does this article not apply to IDP? My guess is just double all the values (like where you say after rd 4 in a 12 team leage the lock players are gone) and also adjust for having 16 teams, not 12. Or do IDP workmout differently in your strategy?

• tim says:

The reason the article wouldn’t apply to IDP is the recommendations around pick values and accumulating picks in the first five rounds. In IDP drafts later round picks carry more value because the player pool is obviously deeper.

8. Concept Coop says:

Very nice write. It’s a shame how much information we can find on rookie drafts, rankings, et cetera, but not simple start-up aids.

It is important to point out that most ADPs do NOT account for format. If you use a blanket MFL ADP in a start 2 QB league, you’re in trouble.

I was surprised that there was NO mention of tiers. Often in a draft, you must draft a player over someone you have ranked higher. That wasn’t really covered in the article. Trade back when your tiers are full, trade up when they are thin. Seems like an imporant bit of information for new owners.

9. I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all is required to get setup? I’m assuming having a blog like yours
    would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very web smart so I’m
    not 100% sure. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks