8 Responses to “Dynasty Debate: LeSean McCoy vs. Jamaal Charles”

1. Jimi Hendrix says:

I must agree with your assesment. Charles has the big play capbilities that we all love. I would place Charles in the top 5-6 rb’s with Mcoy in the 7-8 spot. But as you say either would be welcome on my team.

2. Kris Kapsner says:

I think an important subject header to always have when comparing two dynasty RBs is “Age”. The younger the better. And, with both RBs breaking out this last season, just knowing that McCoy is 2 years younger is definitely a “plus” on his side of the comparison. And, it makes the two of them much closer in dynasty value in my opinion.

An interested subject of debate right now is whether or not either or both of these guys over take MJD in current dynasty rankings due to his knee surgery. And, if they do pass him up, by how much? I’d be curious what you guys think on that.

• DLF_KenK says:

I considered age as a metric on here, but I typically don’t when they’re so close. Charles was born on Dec 27, 1986, while McCoy was born in July of 1988. Charles is 24, but McCoy will turn 23 in July. So, there’s really only a year and a half of an age difference.

While that could be a plus for McCoy, it’s pretty small in my book, especially when you figure the shelf life for running backs is so short anyway.

I focus more on age if someone is 30 vs. 28 more than 24 vs. 22, just based on historical trends of when backs tend to wear down.

I think their age will be a bigger issue 5-6 years down the road.

• DLF_KenK says:

I also don’t think the knee injury with MJD is going to automatically knock him down a rung or two. He’s still the centerpiece of that offense and has been really consistent.

I could see Charles passing him this year, but not too much.

3. The Vich says:

Great article Ken.

I agree with you on McCoy’s current upside especially with Vick as the QB, but as with any Vick discussion there is the concern of injury. Above you discuss Vick vulturing TDs and add to that obviously many passing yards when Vick decides to run. That argument can be made with any QB, but I think most agree that Vick is more injury prone with his style. Given that McCoy’s current value with Vick at QB is currently at or near it’s ceiling, what is McCoy’s ceiling with a Vick injury. My question is – what do you guys feel McCoy’s upside could be with Vick out for an extended period? Brian Westbrook type numbers for a season of 2K total yards and 11-12 TDs. Westbrook caught 90 passes in ’07. With Vick out is there any reason not to expect those numbers out of McCoy? I haven’t looked at the numbers with Vick out, but that doesn’t always equate to an extended period out. I like the fact with McCoy – that you can try to acquire him knowing what you are getting, but can possibly get a nice little bump and higher ceiling with a Vick injury. What do you think?

4. Joe Bidwell says:

I know this is off-topic, but if Best can stay healthy, I think he’ll be very similar to Charles. Size-wise they are very similar and both offer the same explosiveness. I think Best will have the better offense and more opportunities to produce. This may be the debate of 2012! ;)

5. The Jewru says:

Talent wise it it Jamaal Charles no contest, but situation needs to be weighted heavily here. Runnings backs have averaged more yards per attempt than any other team in football in Andy Reid’s tenure. Vick makes running lanes that wouldn’t typical appear , appear. See Warrick Dunn. I would personally take McCoy. A Vick injury would have a negative effect on McCoy despite the extra goal line attempts.

6. Chris R. says:

I don’t know if I agree with the situation going to Charles. Philly/Andy Reid is a gold mine for RB’s who can catch the ball well, just look at Westy before him. Andy Reid never rotates between two backs, and fully trust in 1, you can always expect a bell cow no matter what his size is.

Also, the QB plays into the situation, and when Vick is the QB it’s going to make life easier on the RB, yes the goal line TD’s will be poached but McCoy is going to break off longer runs anyway. They run a ton of screens and tosses to him down there anyway.

I just feel with Vick the defense has to account for him, and it makes the lanes to run through as well as attention easier for McCoy.

Guess who the defense keys on for the Chiefs? It’s all about Charles. I also know that while Thomas Jones is old it’s not like Haley is against taking a big RB in the 2nd or 3rd rd next year, we don’t know yet. I obviously won’t hold it against Charles, but I know and trust McCoy in his role with Philly for the next 7 years, I can’t say the same about Charles.

For all those reasons I think you have to give the situation to McCoy. In ppr leagues, I doubt there is a better situation. He’s pulling in catches like a #1 WR.